Harris a no-show - until training camp

Al Harris is skipping another one of the Green Bay Packers' offseason programs, but the veteran cornerback might not be willing to go to extreme measures to get what he wants. Full Story
Bored At Work

Davenport, IA

#1 Jun 1, 2006
Harris, quit bein' a selfish, money-hungery, not showin up to voluntary practice punk. So what if they're voluntary, your not gonna get any better jackin' around not practicing with the team. And as far as wanting more money, maybe if your name was charles woodson instead of al harris, then you might be making about 10 million this year. But since your name is al harris and not charles woodson, it looks like your gonna have to bust your ass workin' hard this year and maybe even next year before they re-work your contract. And by not showin up to a voluntary practice because you want more money, is not gonna put you on the fast track to becoming a better player and EARNING your bigger pay check. You think Lombardi would've put up with his shit. I don't care if who the hell you are, if The Great One was your coach, you know you ass better be at practice. Remember Harris, the difference between ordinary and extraodinary, is that little extra. Get your ass to practice bitch.
North Carolina Packer Fan

Raleigh, NC

#2 Jun 1, 2006
This is the problem when the media has nothing better to write about. If there is no news, they'll make up their own. Harris and his agent both said that they didn't expect any renegotiation of his contract. He is NOT holding out. He is NOT trying to make a statement. He did say that he thought he was worth more. So what? Who hasn't said that, regardless of what line of work you're in. I've said I'm worth more than I'm getting and I'll bet you have too. It doesn't mean that either of us are going to "hold out" or cause problems at work. And neither will Harris. As was explained before, he had a family commitment. And this is VOLUNTARY. He DID attend other voluntary sessions and will show up for this one as soon as he can.

By the way, while it is subjective, many analysts felt that Harris was one of the top 5 DBs in the NFL last season.
Bored At Work

Davenport, IA

#3 Jun 2, 2006
Voulntary schmallntary. I dont kare if there isnt even a practice scheduled, they (the packers) should all be out there workin hard for the ring. I totally agree with you and the analysts that Harris is one of the top 5 DB's in the league. But do you think Harris is gonna get number one or top 3 this year when hes not practicin. Ok, maybe i was outta line about the whole money crack. but hey, its the offseason, i hate basketball and baseball blows, and im sittin' here, yup you guessed it, bored at work. The football fever is gettin to me. But it happens to the best of us, and forums lyke this and people lyke you keep me just sane enough. PRESEASON OR BUST BABY !!!
Bored At Work

Davenport, IA

#4 Jun 2, 2006
Dude, WTF. This forum is all confused. Im not from Donahue, Iowa. Ive never even heard of Donahue, Iowa. Not that anybody really kares, but I'm from Dubuque, Iowa. Just thought I'd throw that out there to clarify things. well now that i've got that outta the way, I'm either gonna find another topic to put my 2 cents in on, or sit here and be...... Bored At Work.
joshfromwisconsi n

Whitehall, WI

#5 Jun 2, 2006
guess we will see if harris is a top five db, i think hes solid but not great, the only reason teams werent throwing at him was carroll was on the other side
Bored At Work

Davenport, IA

#6 Jun 2, 2006
From what i heard, (which may or may not be true, my friends are kinda shot) that teams still might not be throwing to Harris, at least not early on in the season. Word on the street (my shot friends) is that theres still some question about whether or not Woodson's still got it so QB's are gonna be testin him early into the season. Im pretty sure Uncle Charles has still got the goods, but hes gonna have to shed off some of that rust. And with him not being at practice (I knoe its voulntary, but for the money hes making, his bitch ass should show up and produce. Not only should a paycheck make the players show up, but im a strong believer that EVERYBODY should be at ALL the practices.) that rust is gonna take a little while longer to loose. And if its into the season and he's still packin the rust, im gonna have to change my name to Pissed Off At Work. ------------ F.Y.I. If my posts seem a little disorganized, its kause i work at a gas station and people kome in when im lyke half way through a thought, and then when i get back to my post, im already on another thought. not very oraganized, but hell at least its somethin.

Raleigh, NC

#7 Jun 2, 2006
Harris has been to most of the voluntary sessions and minicamps. He showed up with all the other vets for conditioning before the minicamps. He'll be there and be a shut down cornerback again this season.
kidflash

Oshkosh, WI

#8 Jun 3, 2006
Al Harris is a very good corner, and really doesn't need to be at these OTA's to be ready for training camp. The defense will be the same as last year, and corner is one of the easiest positions to learn. NCPF I do have to disagree with you on one point. Al Harris isn't considered a shut down corner, even the guy who said he was a top 5 corner didn't say that. Most analysts I've read don't have Al in the top ten, and say there is only 1 or 2 shut down corners in the NFL right now. Al is a very good corner, but does benefit from not having anyone good on the other side.

Raleigh, NC

#9 Jun 3, 2006
Kidflash, fair enough. But Harris still did well when paired with McKenzie (when McKenzie was still good).
Bored At Work

Davenport, IA

#10 Jun 3, 2006
kidflash, point made about Harris being to most of the voulntary practices and that it is very well possible that he is good enough to not need to attend the voulntary OTA's. But i still feel he and every one else should be there, thats just what i thynk though. True the defense is good and will be good again this year, but i wouldnt bank on them being the same. Their defensive corridinator last year (forgot dudes name) was hella good, and hes gone now. The new defense corridinator (forgot his name too) i dont knoe a whole lot about. But what i do knoe is that he is not that guy that had our defense shredding it up last year. Oh yea, anybody else read about 'turd' Furgeson bouncin' his face off of Hawkins. HA! Is it just me or is Furgeson fuckin accident prone. What a loser.
Bored At Work

Davenport, IA

#11 Jun 3, 2006
Yea, id just lyke to correct myself on my last entry. Ment to give props to NCPF about Harris being at the voulntary practices. My bad. But the defense corridinator speal still applies to kidflash. Sorry for any inconvience and sorry for having to put up with inablity to give credit where credit is due. Thank you for your tyme.

"Just smoke it"
kidflash

Wallace, MI

#12 Jun 4, 2006
North Carolina Packer Fan wrote:
Kidflash, fair enough. But Harris still did well when paired with McKenzie (when McKenzie was still good).
NCPF, good point I had forgotten about McKenzie. Don't get me wrong, I think Al Harris is a very good corner, just not a shut down corner.
kidflash

Wallace, MI

#13 Jun 4, 2006
Bored At Work wrote:
Yea, id just lyke to correct myself on my last entry. Ment to give props to NCPF about Harris being at the voulntary practices. My bad. But the defense corridinator speal still applies to kidflash. Sorry for any inconvience and sorry for having to put up with inablity to give credit where credit is due. Thank you for your tyme.
"Just smoke it"
Bored At Work, I'm not sure what your point is? I was talking about Al harris being a shut down corner, not the defensive cordinator. Sanders runs the same defense that Bates ran, and was Bates top assistant for quite a few years if that helps.

Raleigh, NC

#14 Jun 5, 2006
Kidflash, that's a point I tried to make in another thread on this forum. The defense that the Packers will run this season is the same defense. No new terminology, no new coverages for somebody like Harris to have to learn.

I agree with most that it would be great if every player showed up for every session. But many of these guys made commitments before the schedule of events was sent out. If folks agree that the character of a player is important, then they should applaud these players for having the character to honor their commitments.
Bored At Work

United States

#15 Jun 11, 2006
Okay guys. You all brought up some good points, excusing Harris absences and the OTA's. But the fact that he STILL hasn't shown up is really pissin' me off. I mean WTF, don't you thynk it's about tyme to make an appearence. The same goes for Woodson and Pickett. You assholes makin' the big bucks have to earn those big bucks. Even if that means going to VOULNTARY practices. maybe not all of them, but half of them or a little under half, is that really to much to ask for when your getting paid over 2 million (give or take) a year. And from the looks of things this year, our defense is going to be our saving grace this season. And I for one would sleep a lot better at night, knowing that the guys were counting on are putting in some extra effort to make sure we dont look lyke fools this year.
Bored At Work

United States

#16 Jun 11, 2006
Oh yea, othner point id lyke to make is so what if Harris knoes what he's doing and HE'S got nothing new to learn. Exhibit A - Nick Barrnett. Im pretty sure he knoes his role, the plays, and how to do what he needs to do. Yet, he has been to every practice this offseason, VOULNTARY or NOT. Why? If not to takes his own skills to the next level, to help the news guys get their shit together and help take them to the next level. Becuase hes a TEAM player and he knoes that its gonna take the whole team to bring a championship back to Title Town, U.S.A.
kidflash

Oshkosh, WI

#17 Jun 14, 2006
Bored at work, I agree they should be there, especially Woodson and Pickett who need to learn the defense. I'm just saying that if Harris misses the OTA's it won't hurt the defense because he knows the defense already, and the corner position is kind of seperate from the rest of the defense. MLB is much more important to the team chemistry of the defense, and I'm glad to see Barnett there. I also think that the fact that Barnett has Hodge pushing for his job gives him more incentive to be here. Woodson and Harris don't have any real threat behind them or they might be here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corey Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lions' Suh growing up, and he's better than ever (Sep '13) Sep '13 BillInKeyWest 1
Another NFL Dwi, Rodgers to Reach 6,000 Yards? (Jul '12) Aug '12 Tittle Reads 9
John Niyo: NFL Preview: Fearsome D-line is Lion... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Fearfarts 2
Lions Introduce Free Agent Signings Durant, Wright (Jul '11) Jul '11 phatso 1
Ndamukong Suh excited for Nick Fairley, likes L... (May '11) May '11 LOL 1
2011 NFL Draft Grades for the Detroit Lions (May '11) May '11 West Coast 1
Don't look now, but Detroit Lions have better p... (Dec '10) Dec '10 vince 20

Corey Williams People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE