Ohio.com - Camp ends with big questions

Ohio.com - Camp ends with big questions

There are 32 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Aug 23, 2007, titled Ohio.com - Camp ends with big questions. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

The Browns got positive answers on some of their questions in training camp but have large ones still unresolved.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
No Comment

Strongsville, OH

#1 Aug 24, 2007
Post No Grump
OldManGrump

Canton, OH

#2 Aug 24, 2007
There is no QB issue. Play Brady Quinn and win some games. Play Interception Frye or Fumble Anderson, and lose all your games. Cut those two losers.

Brady is the future of the Browns.

Go Browns !!!
Chad

United States

#4 Aug 24, 2007
OldManGrump wrote:
There is no QB issue. Play Brady Quinn and win some games. Play Interception Frye or Fumble Anderson, and lose all your games. Cut those two losers.
Brady is the future of the Browns.
Go Browns !!!
You must want to turn Brady into the next Tim Couch. Oldman you really have no clue about sports do you. You can not throw a rookie QB into the lions den. At least not the first game. Now, had he actually signed his contract and been in camp the ENTIRE time, then yes he might have been ready to go. But the greedy little SOB held out and in turn cost himself a chance to start. GET A CLUE about sports, or STFU!!!!
SAM

Tulsa, OK

#5 Aug 24, 2007
IT WOULD BE NICE TO WIN A GAME FOR A CHANGE, BUT IS FRYE AND ANDERSON UP FOR THAT KIND TYPE OF PRESSURE. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOO

GIVE THE BALL TO QUINN AND WIN SOME GAMES. DON'T WASTE ANYMORE OF OUR TIME WITH THIS CRAP.
Mike Mattox

Clinton, WA

#6 Aug 24, 2007
If Jerome Harrison remains as the 3rd back...I say trade him and get back a draft choice for next year...
I don't know what the Browns are missing when they look at Harrison but he looks great to me...Maybe he Drinks or Takes drugs or Spits on RACs shoes...I DON'T KNOW but here is what I do know...Jerome Harrison led the team last year in Pre-Season rushing for an average of 6.8 yards per carry and had a receiving TD..and another called back Yet he got less then 2 carries per game last year.

1)Jerome led the team in Rushing against KC
2)Jerome has the longest run from scrimmage in pre-season.
3) Jerome was outstanding at picking up the blitz against KC
4) Jerome Threw the block that broke Barclay on his return TD
5) Jerome on the next play tackled the KC Kickoff returner when it looked like he might break it
6) Against Detroit Harrison..led the team in receiving...
----------

*Last year the coaching staff and press said Jerome was a terrible blocker...He is now
our best back at picking up the Blitz...Some may say big deal since Barclay and Wright really don't block much at all.

Last year they said Harrison was too small so he worked hard and got himself up to 210 lbs all muscle

Last year they said Harrison couldn't catch the ball...Well he didn't have any trouble catching the darts that Quinn was throwing in the Detroit game.

ON HIS OWN...Harrison went to Jamal Lewis and asked if he would go through his pre-camp work out regiment...30 days of worse then bootcamp...

Of all the backs we have, NONE have the College credentials of Harrison..Ran for over 100yards in his last 14 straight games...in 5 of those games he was over 200 yards..Ran for 1900 yards his Senior year in the Pac 10

His blazing quickness and acceleration is Obvious to all...He finishes every run..All he needs is a chance to play.

WHAT MORE CAN THE GUY DO?
Irish Lou

Canton, OH

#7 Aug 24, 2007
There's no question that the offensive line is dramatically improved even without Steinbach and Tucker. This should translate into a more successful running game, especially with the changes made there, and that will greatly help the passing game. That being said...the depth chart for offensive line still seems a bit thin. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it remains viable during the season.
I would opt for keeping all four QB's at this time with the thought of an early season trade of one of them. Probably that would be Anderson with the stronger arm making Frye the eventual backup. I think Anderson will bring more on the trade market ( maybe still another addition to the OL?) than Frye and Frye has the talent to serve for years as a decent backup WHEN Quinn is ready....and he's not yet. Give Quinn some respectable playing time this next pre-season game but also give him time to learn and grow while Frye, who's both tough and durable, takes his lumps while this new offensive system gels. During the season work Quinn in where possible until it's clear he has a full grasp of what the system is and how the game is played in the NFL. There's no doubt that he will develop into a prime QB if given the opportunity to learn both what to do and not do. That takes patience and patience is a commodity that appears to be in short supply with most Browns fans.
Lil Jimmy Norton

Macedonia, OH

#8 Aug 24, 2007
Ken Dorsey's the smartest guy on the team. He's not an NFL caliber QB, but he sucked up to Quinn and has the media buying into this whole mentor angle so he'll get a spot on the roster.

Start Frye, waive or trade Anderson (if someone will take him), and let Quinn be the backup for a few weeks. If Frye struggles, you can make the switch.
SilentBob

Aiken, SC

#9 Aug 24, 2007
Personally, I hope they keep Ali, Krause, and Unck. I definitely don't care for the idea of keeping all 4 QBs. I don't think I could stand another QB competition like this. My choice for the 3rd RB would be Barclay. I'm not settled on 3rd WR, but it might just come down to who is healthy and is able to actually CATCH the ball rather than just making contact with it - something I wish Edwards would do more often. Maybe I just notice his mistakes more than his successes. Like they say, it takes a lot of Atta-Boy's to make up for one Oh-S#!t.
ramon

Canton, OH

#10 Aug 24, 2007
Chad wrote:
<quoted text>
You must want to turn Brady into the next Tim Couch. Oldman you really have no clue about sports do you. You can not throw a rookie QB into the lions den. At least not the first game. Now, had he actually signed his contract and been in camp the ENTIRE time, then yes he might have been ready to go. But the greedy little SOB held out and in turn cost himself a chance to start. GET A CLUE about sports, or STFU!!!!
You cannot compare 1999 talent to today's talent! YOU are the one who needs to by a clue!
ramon

Canton, OH

#11 Aug 24, 2007
We will break camp not knowing the status of the lawsuit between LeCharles and The Browns. Funny how the media is laying low on this one.
Mike

San Diego, CA

#12 Aug 24, 2007
Zippy wrote:
we only have two receivers... if Blayon can catch a ball this year, otherwise 1. Put Montana or Marino in and we might win 1 more game due to quarterbacking.
When Charlie has been in we had a lot of close games. One or two plays usually mean the difference between winning or losing. Charlie made his share of them. So I guess I'm saying if he can smarten up a little and people give him the benefit of the doubt we could end up with two very good QB's in Quinn & Frye and win a lot of games.
This season though we could be the team NO was last season and win 10 games or suck and loose 10. Whatever happens though, I put full blame on the coach.
Looks like our Charlie Frye Cheerleader is back!!!!
Don't blame Frye and his horrible lay at all! It's all Crennel's fault (and it was at least for hiring Carthon).

I can't help but to giggle when you put the words "very good" and "Frye" in the same sentence. I nearly vomited when you said that Marino or Montana would only win us one more game. Seriously.... So you're saying.... that Charlie Frye is only ONE GAME behind Montana or Marino comparatively??????!!!!
You are ACTUALLY COMPARING DAN MARINO AND JOE MONTANA TO CHARLIE FRYE??? Saying in some way they MIGHT be even REMOTELY on the same level?

I don't know what they're smoking in Solon nowadays.... but it must be some good stuff.....
Mike

San Diego, CA

#13 Aug 24, 2007
Here's my idea....

1) Keep Quinn (duh) and Dorsey. Post up Frye and Anderson as trade bait. If someone wants Frye, let him go. He'll never be the starter after this season anyways and it looks like he may become a bit of a squeaky wheel in that regard. Anderson, has a strong enough arm and might entice trades.

2) Keep Chris Barclay and Clifton Smith. Both are decent and WANT to make plays.... and have shown that they can get in on the action.

3) Keep additional depth at DL, LB, FB, and TE. Our DL needs to keep its depth to keep players fresh. TE.... keep the Ortega kid. At 6-4, 250... the former Miami TE has been reliable in his play and is a bit like Winslow (just in case Kellen has more knee issues). LB.... keep Clifton Smith and Jason Short. Both have looked good in preseason and make good backups. Additionally.... the players at LB, FB, and TE are usually better special teamers and can fill in in a pinch.

4) Trade/Cut the following:
Tim Carter, WR - What has he done??? Sure, we need WR's. Keep one of the young kids who has a CHANCE to surprise us and develop out..... Matt Stewart, LB - Keep young depth, not old and hurt players. He's never been outstanding in any particular area and we have younger guys. Willie McGinest, LB - Yep. I know. Coach's fav from NE. He's at 14 years in the NFL. I know, I know... him and Ted can share their AARP discounts. He's getting off back surgery though and has not been fantastic anyways. Here's an idea. Cut him with the provision that you will then RE-HIRE him as a LB coach if he wants to mentor.

This team needs to assemble its youth and start forcing them to become play-makers.... not benchwarmers for the NFL's antiques.

5) Start looking at the draft for next year. We need a NT and a RB. Ted Washington was born in '68 and has played 17 years... he will not last forever. Jamal Lewis is at 8 yrs in a position where anything after 10 yrs is "gift" time in the league.
Vintage74

Cleveland, OH

#14 Aug 24, 2007
I think the biggest question we have is head coach. I think Savage has done a nice job of aquiring talent for this team. However, RAC can't get out of his own way as coach. All he does is make bizzare decisions and make a fiasco out of everything.

When we hired him I thought it was a good move. I figured at least this guy would be able to take a bunch of nobodys and put together a solid defense, being the defensive mastermind he was credited as, but he hasn't even done that. Our D has sucked since he's been here.

I dunno...but if I have to keep hearing we need one more year for one more year, I'm gonna go nuts. It's time to turn this ship around RAC, if you can't do it then pack your bags and go back and ride Belichek's coat tails again, Mr. Defensive Genious...yeah right!
Tim Chippewa Lake

Stow, OH

#15 Aug 24, 2007
Quinn did well against the Lions but he had minimal plays to run.Frye and Anderson had alot more plays at there disposal.I'm not knocking Quinn he just hasn't been in camp long enough to have the extent of the offence.That said why play Quinn now as a starter.Start Frye he knows every blade of grass personally.Let him get accustomed to the new offence.If he falters then we have Quinn who by that point should know the offence as well.We just had to replace the pluming why do we want to resod the field.
G Dodd

AOL

#18 Aug 24, 2007
Anyone who thinks Frye has outplayed Anderson this preseason must have been watching the games in homervision. Charlie Frye is far and away the worst QB on the team. To me, weak arm, poor decision making and bad clock management add up to EX- Browns player. Why this is even debated is beyond me. To go along with the poor play we're getting at QB, is the lackluster coaching we're getting from Crennel. To think the Browns have any chance to win with Frye playing QB and Crennel as headcoach, is delusional. See your doctor, NOW!
Tony Z

Phenix City, AL

#20 Aug 24, 2007
Try This
1.Start the season with 4 QB's keep Quinn on the bench.
2.Play a few games and see how the OL does. If the OL sucks as bad as they have the past seasons keep Quinn safe on the bench and let the others take the beating, one or two of them will be injured soon enough. Fire Crennel and get a coach that will fix the OL problems.
brownies4Life

Findlay, OH

#21 Aug 24, 2007
I have never in my life been so astounded by a comment. Kent Dawg, I hope you were kidding with your post. "Cleveland has had a top OL since 1999." Get a grip kid. Then how come we haven't had any O-Lineman in the Pro Bowl? or only one 1000 yard RB? or our QB is always running around like he is back in Vietnam (like your savior Frye)? There has been improvement this year adding a proven veteran LG and the top LT in the draft. There is a reason we did that...oh yea, it is because our OL has been abysmal.
As for our Defense, tell me how great relates to the the single game rushing record being broken against us twice since 1999.
I'm an optimistic fan and I believe we have been making the right moves. BQ is the QB of the future for us, not Chuckie Frye (duh).
As you say Kent Dawg, we are the perfect example of Browns intelligence, well you are a perfect example of what comes out of my @ss everyday after lunch.
Everything that you posted was complete garbage and I should not even have wasted away any brain muscles on you. Congrats on receiving the Retard of the Year award.
Mike

San Diego, CA

#22 Aug 24, 2007
Tim Chippewa Lake wrote:
Quinn did well against the Lions but he had minimal plays to run.Frye and Anderson had alot more plays at there disposal.I'm not knocking Quinn he just hasn't been in camp long enough to have the extent of the offence.That said why play Quinn now as a starter.Start Frye he knows every blade of grass personally.Let him get accustomed to the new offence.If he falters then we have Quinn who by that point should know the offence as well.We just had to replace the pluming why do we want to resod the field.
Yes..... Frye does know every blade of grass.
Up close.... and personally.
He's spent enough time on the turf.... either sacked... or trying to recover a fumble... or chase down a player who intercepted him.
Mike

San Diego, CA

#23 Aug 24, 2007
Kent Dawg wrote:
I hope they trade Frye because I like him. He deserves to be on a real team instead of with the Clowns. Cleveland has had a top OL since 1999. It was Couch's, Detner's (sp?), Garcia's (who had a great 2006 season when he was with a real team), and Frye's fault that the team sucks. Not sure why they drafted Thomas when the OL has been perfect all these years. Instead of making your QB's your scape goats over the years. Haven't seen one person or group being blamed for the ills of a larger group since the Nazi's blamed the Jews. Why don't you morons who are stupid enough to attend the games, get your heads our of your A#@, give Charlie a chance with the current team before passing judgement.
Go ahead, start Quinn and when he out for the season after Pittsburgh destroys him, he can be your next scapegoat.
And you.....
Wow.

I'll skip bashing on you personally. I'll tear apart your argument instead. I'll play your game.

Ok. We give Frye another chance at starter. Let him start the season against the Steelers, Bengals, Raiders, and Ravens. One of two things will happen.

1) Frye plays half-way decent. Browns maybe win some games.... but Frye plays decent.... i.e. more TD's than INT's or Fumbles. Completion percentage above 58%.

2) Frye plays as Frye has in the past and continues his trend from ast year. Frye throws at least 5 interceptions in 4 games.... gets 1, maybe 2 TD passes. 1-2 fumbles.(Last year he had 17 INT and 8 FUM... averages out to 1 INT per game and 1 FUM every two games). Frye throws bad passes at critical times also.... resulting in killed drives and lost scoring opportunities (particularily in the red zone).

If Frye accomplishes number 1.... keep him in as the starter. Pretty simple. No reason to do anything drastic if he does show that he has turned the corner. Let Quinn sit on bench and learn. Let him "cleanup" if we have games that can have time run off the clock. Work on the things that need improvement and push forward.

If Frye accomplishes number 2.... then you have a real problem. Chances are then, the team is 1-3... or worse. Frye will be on track at that point to continue what he did last year.... which we frankly can't afford.

If scenario number two happens.... you now have given 24 starts to a 3rd round draft pick who has simply not produced. He's attempted approx 677 throws by that time (going off last year's per game average). Say what you may about the OL and the running game, and the WR's..... you have a quarterback who over the course of 24 games that he has been in.... has simply NOT IMPROVED.

At some point.... you need to examine things and evaluate your situation. Do I keep blaming everyone else on the team?.... Or one player? At some point and time the excuses run out. At what point do you stop making the TEAM a scapegoat for one player? Do you even realize THAT is what you are doing by pointing the finger every time at the OL?.... Or the running game?

At the end of the day you come down to a few simple points:

1) In the NFL, you only get so many chances to prove yourself as a player.

2) The higher up the draft board you went, the more chances you'll likely get.

3) At some point and time, all the "reasons" for failure become "excuses" and eventually excuses just don't cut it.

I agree with your one idea. Trade Charlie. Give him a chance somewhere else. A fresh start. Maybe he'll go on to be a productive pro. He is NOT going to be happy riding the bench here in Cleveland, which is the course he is on.
Irish Lou

Canton, OH

#24 Aug 24, 2007
Tell me Kent Dawg.. what starting offensive lineman in the NFL DOESN'T hold? We'll all be anxious to know who it is... come on, you only have to name one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clifton Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Miami Dolphins Talking Points: Troy Polamalu he... (Oct '10) Oct '10 paul jones 1
News a Channing Crowder returns practice (Sep '10) Sep '10 Tom Loy 1
News Dolphins cut ex-'Dog Clifton Smith (Sep '10) Sep '10 Finman 2
clifton smith (Sep '08) Sep '08 Lawrence Young Jr 2
News Bears easily could have avoided Olsen injury (Aug '07) Aug '07 ErrolnDC 12
News WR Carter stays upbeat (Aug '07) Aug '07 Joe in San Diego 1
News Bears easily could have avoided Olsen injury (Aug '07) Aug '07 boonasty51 1
More from around the web