Grading the Green Bay Packers coachin...

Grading the Green Bay Packers coaching/personnel: Mike McCarthy, Ted Thompson make right moves

There are 21 comments on the Green Bay Press-Gazette story from Jan 19, 2010, titled Grading the Green Bay Packers coaching/personnel: Mike McCarthy, Ted Thompson make right moves. In it, Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that:

Mike McCarthy and the offensive staff adjusted their passing attack at midseason, focusing more on short and intermediate throws.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Green Bay Press-Gazette.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#1 Jan 19, 2010
Rob Demovsky used this scale when he graded the players:

Grading scale

A: Elite NFL player

B: Above average

C: Average

D: Below average

F: Failed to perform at an NFL level

After 5 years Ted Thompson has a 43-40 record. How does that grade better than a C? TT took over a team that regularly won the division. Now they don't. How does that grade better than an F? The Packers used to have many more players make the Pro Bowl and more named as Pro Bowl starters until TT became GM. How does that grade better than a D? The Packers used to make the playoffs nearly every year regardless of the strength of the Packer's schedule. Under TT's mismanagement, the Packers only make the playoffs in years in which the Packers have the NFL's easiest schedule. How does that grade better than a D?

Why does Rob Demovsky grade the players much tougher than the person ultimately responsible for Packer success? Rob gave out mostly Cs, Is, Ds and Fs to the players. Relatively few got As or Bs. How does a GM grade better than his players? I'll tell you how. The GBPG writers suck up to Packer management because they control everything from the press corp's accomadations at games to access to the Packer facilities and players.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#2 Jan 20, 2010
One sad post, but so consistent....as I said before, get help will ya!!!!
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#3 Jan 20, 2010
That's what I'm asking for -- help. Help for the Packers to return to contention. The help that only a better GM will provide.

BTW wal, the one thing that I can say about you is that you are consistent also. You are consistently willing to accept failure and you consistently delude yourself into believing failure is success. I consistently require Packer excellence.

So I do agree. Your comments are "one sad post." As always, lacking any facts, objectivity, or indication whatsoever that you care about the team.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#4 Jan 20, 2010
BTW wal, please explain TT's plan to win the division for me. The Packers have only won the division once under his mismanagement. How is he planning to overtake the Pro Bowl player packed Vikings? I'm sure any good GM would at least have a plan. Explain it!
eric

Denmark, WI

#5 Jan 20, 2010
wal read thoughts on the season and how the fraud dipped into the viking forum to pull up a betty comment and that explains it all,dont bother!
but i will say this GBP you claim Ted took a team that consistantly makes the playoffs,well they did,but, they also were in cap hell and so Ted lost Marco Rivera, Mike Wahle and a few players and rebuilt,that was Sherman and his contracts like Cledius Hunt that put us there, not Ted Thompson so in 4 years with Mike McCarthy 2 years in the playoffs and a decent wining record. 38-26 or 38-27 if you include the playoff lose to Arizona. So 38-27, 2 playoffs in 4 years after rebuilding after Sherman put them up against the cap and seeing as how many experts who cover the team all seem to agree Ted has them set up for a nice run for the next several years, its just a matter of retooling some positions and some depth,because we are the only team in the league that has to do that right?
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#6 Jan 20, 2010
Cap hell, Mike Sherman, Packers are too poor to compete, the sun got in his eyes, blah, blah, blah ...

We've heard the excuses from the TT fans a million times. PACKER FANS say it is time to hire a GM that produces results and REAL improvement, instead of producing excuses!
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#7 Jan 20, 2010
eric wrote:
wal read thoughts on the season and how the fraud dipped into the viking forum to pull up a betty comment and that explains it all,dont bother!
but i will say this GBP you claim Ted took a team that consistantly makes the playoffs,well they did,but, they also were in cap hell and so Ted lost Marco Rivera, Mike Wahle and a few players and rebuilt,that was Sherman and his contracts like Cledius Hunt that put us there, not Ted Thompson so in 4 years with Mike McCarthy 2 years in the playoffs and a decent wining record. 38-26 or 38-27 if you include the playoff lose to Arizona. So 38-27, 2 playoffs in 4 years after rebuilding after Sherman put them up against the cap and seeing as how many experts who cover the team all seem to agree Ted has them set up for a nice run for the next several years, its just a matter of retooling some positions and some depth,because we are the only team in the league that has to do that right?
How many years do you plan to use those lame excuses to defend your infatuation with a failure? Its about the Packers, not your weird and disturbing feelings.

BTW eric, stop treating people as if they are idiots. Do you really think that anybody forgets that you were saying the same things last year when the Packers were 6-10?

We do have the same challenges as every other team. The difference is that our GM started with a very good team 5 years ago. Five years later the Packers are 43-40 with one division title and the Vikings are a better team. What true Packer fan can be opposed to hiring a better GM?
eric

Denmark, WI

#8 Jan 20, 2010
im not opposed at all,find a better one, then hire them.
Its not the same lame excuse,its fact,Ted inherited a team almost over the cap,that is fact,now could he have done things different,sure, would they be better now? No one can answer that because it didn't happen.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#9 Jan 20, 2010
eric, you are free to make yourself believe that nobody could have taken over the Packers 5 years ago and done better than 43-40 with one division title. It is another thing to stubbornly continue to support that kind of failure when the Packer's future is at stake.
eric

Denmark, WI

#10 Jan 20, 2010
Like i said,there is no proof either way,one way or another. If there were a better available GM, then im sure Mark Murphy would have hired him. Point is they could have hired a GM instead of TT and no one can guaranty that things would have been better,or worse , as did not happen.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#11 Jan 20, 2010
Your argument is that nobody could have done better than 43-40 because nobody else had the chance because the Packers hired and stuck with TT. I have to say, as lousy as that argument is, it might actually be your best yet.
Danger D

Ipswich, SD

#12 Jan 20, 2010
GBP, you have a higher standard for success of an NFL football franchise. I respectfully disagree with your standard. The strongest franchises over the last decade (Pats, Steelers, Indy) were not always that way, and won’t be forever. Teams go through transition. I believe we have now come through one such transition, and I am happy we didn’t descend into irrelevancy like so many others during that time. We succeeded largely on the backs of young talent, and we should expect only success from now on.

Most of us are not TT apologists. I said before the season that I would judge him on this season. When we dropped to 4-4 with a loss to lowly Tampa, I said (with you) to start looking for a new GM. I have no idea how the season turned around, but I’ll stick with what I always said and not cry for TT’s head.

I don’t think change for the sake of change accomplishes anything (a la Buffalo’s current coaching situation). You apparently think there is a wealth of top GM talent waiting for a chance. I would note that the most recent NFL GM hire was in fact a TT protégé and Packer exec: John Schneider to Seattle last week.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#13 Jan 21, 2010
Might I suggest some folks who are so negative go back and take a look at our rosters in 2004 and 2005 (TT 1st year). Look up and down those rosters and two things should stand out when compared to this years team; talent and age. Remember guys like Hunt, Gado, Henderson, Carroll, etc....just a crummy collection of players then along with an aging QB. Sure we were 10-6 in 2004, but were quickly bounced from the playoffs by the Vikings at home 31-17 (remember 'moon" Moss). I seem to recall we were a little tight on cap money thanks to deals for Hunt, Joe Johnson, and others. Some people (GBPfan) bring up the success of Sherman.....what a progressive slide he produced. When TT dumped Sherman for MM, then you track his success rate and what is it....8-8,13-3,6-10,11-5...two playoffs in past three years with more on the way.....grade for TT should be high after 2009 season.
eric

Denmark, WI

#14 Jan 21, 2010
GBPfan wrote:
Your argument is that nobody could have done better than 43-40 because nobody else had the chance because the Packers hired and stuck with TT. I have to say, as lousy as that argument is, it might actually be your best yet.
Read again, i said there is no proof anyone would have done better because it didnt happen ,,i NEVER said no one would do better, so your hatred for TT has effected your way to read entries apparently.
eric

Denmark, WI

#15 Jan 21, 2010
wal0645 wrote:
Might I suggest some folks who are so negative go back and take a look at our rosters in 2004 and 2005 (TT 1st year). Look up and down those rosters and two things should stand out when compared to this years team; talent and age. Remember guys like Hunt, Gado, Henderson, Carroll, etc....just a crummy collection of players then along with an aging QB. Sure we were 10-6 in 2004, but were quickly bounced from the playoffs by the Vikings at home 31-17 (remember 'moon" Moss). I seem to recall we were a little tight on cap money thanks to deals for Hunt, Joe Johnson, and others. Some people (GBPfan) bring up the success of Sherman.....what a progressive slide he produced. When TT dumped Sherman for MM, then you track his success rate and what is it....8-8,13-3,6-10,11-5...two playoffs in past three years with more on the way.....grade for TT should be high after 2009 season.
thats actually using common sense and facts and giving credit where its due.Sherman as some quickly forget, signed alot of bad FA deals and we were up against the cap , of course some dont want to remember the fact Dallas,SF amoung others spent a few years in the hole after their cap struggles and TT got them from up against the cap to 8-8 in 2 seasons, 1 season with his coach, but that doesnt support the anti TT movement.
eric

Denmark, WI

#16 Jan 21, 2010
GBPfan wrote:
Your argument is that nobody could have done better than 43-40 because nobody else had the chance because the Packers hired and stuck with TT. I have to say, as lousy as that argument is, it might actually be your best yet.
read #10 again,its right above your typical twist the words to fit your obsession of hatred with TT bs
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#17 Jan 21, 2010
eric wrote:
<quoted text>thats actually using common sense and facts and giving credit where its due.Sherman as some quickly forget, signed alot of bad FA deals and we were up against the cap , of course some dont want to remember the fact Dallas,SF amoung others spent a few years in the hole after their cap struggles and TT got them from up against the cap to 8-8 in 2 seasons, 1 season with his coach, but that doesnt support the anti TT movement.
You have no problem criticizing Sherman for his failures. Yet you continue to support TT and his failure. I know everybody else knows what that is called. I wouldn't insult them by treating them like they are too stupid to notice. However, you will need to look up the word "hypocrite" and have someone explain the definition to you.
The pack

Bringhurst, IN

#18 Jan 21, 2010
First time here. Has anybody heard more on Capers sleeping during the Ariz. game. I watched it. The other coach even gives him a couple of looks. Then the jerky wake up. Almost like the other coach kicks him to wake him up. Not good if it true.
Danger D

Ipswich, SD

#19 Jan 21, 2010
The pack wrote:
First time here. Has anybody heard more on Capers sleeping during the Ariz. game. I watched it. The other coach even gives him a couple of looks. Then the jerky wake up. Almost like the other coach kicks him to wake him up. Not good if it true.
Sorry, we only discuss TT, regardless of its relevance to the topic.
eric

Denmark, WI

#20 Jan 21, 2010
i havent heard anything since the incident.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clay Matthews Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aaron Rodgers lauds Ha Ha Clinton-Dix for seeki... Nov 18 Laughing Bear Fan 5
News Randall Cobb, Clay Matthews questionable for Pa... Oct '16 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Matthews, Peppers talk PEDs with NFL investigators Aug '16 y 2
News Packers' Matthews, Peppers face suspension Aug '16 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Clay Matthews says NFL should 'go to college ru... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Fart news 3
News Green Bay Packers: Salary cap space will come i... (Feb '15) Feb '15 GBPmies 1
News Carroll sat Matthews at USC (Jan '15) Jan '15 Ouch Farts 4
More from around the web