Obama urges court to overturn gay marriage ban

Feb 28, 2013 | Posted by: Gay And Proud | Full story: www.boston.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — In a historic argument for gay rights, President Barack Obama on Thursday urged the Supreme Court to overturn California’s same-sex marriage ban and turn a skeptical eye on similar prohibitions across the country.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

That's my President!!!!
Swede

Kalmar, Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

And the world sits back, watches and laughs as he turns your country into a bankrupt, third world cesspool.
Swede

Kalmar, Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

But what do you care as long as you queers have homo-marriage right? Pathetic.

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

Poor little troll claiming to be from Sweden apparently doesn't know that Sweden has had legal same-sex marriage for years now. And Sweden was the first country in the modern world to stop considering homosexuality to be an illness.

Poor little troll. Your day has come and gone and now all you have left is whining on LGBT threads on Topix.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

The Court: "I'm asking you to tell me how it would harm opposite sex marriages."

Mr. Cooper: "Your Honor, my answer is: I don't know. I don't know."

p. 24, Motion for Summary Judgement

And they still don't know. Insults remain their best weapon against equality.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

The call for heightened scrutiny is the most signifcant aspect of the brief.

If the SCOTUS adopts a heightened scrutiny standard, that's the whole ballgame. It sets the rules for all future challenges going forward and no state bans can survive judicial review under that standard.

Game over man, game over!

Of course that's assuming the SCOTUS agrees to adopt that standard. That's still a BIG if.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

If only Scalia would hurry up and die, we could end this much sooner.

If there was any doubt in anyone's mind that Scalia is the biggest danger to all our rights, his comments on the voting rights act should put that doubt to rest.

C'mon Scalia, smoke another pack of Marlboros!!

“... from a ...”

Since: Mar 09

GREAT HEIGHT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

THAT'S the man I voted for !!!

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

Good on him!

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

fr NoQ:

>Maybe ...<

Reported.
AzAdam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
If there was any doubt in anyone's mind that Scalia is the biggest danger to all our rights, his comments on the voting rights act should put that doubt to rest.
He looks and sounds like Archie Bunker. What a moron.
AzAdam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
He always seems to be on the verge of choking on his own neck fat. Don't they pay SCOTUS justices enough to buy shirts that fit? Heck, have them tailored to fit that waddle if you can't buy them off the shelf.

“... from a ...”

GREAT HEIGHT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

AzAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
He always seems to be on the verge of choking on his own neck fat. Don't they pay SCOTUS justices enough to buy shirts that fit? Heck, have them tailored to fit that waddle if you can't buy them off the shelf.
It comes from eating all those fine suppers at the Koch brothers' estates.

“"What we got here"”

Since: Aug 12

"Is Failure To Communicate"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
It comes from eating all those fine suppers at the Koch brothers' estates.
And perhaps chic-filet also?Hopefully his heart will explode! ;)

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
Did you read Dana Milbank's article about how Sotomayor and Kagan took on Scalia in the Voting Rights Act argument? Here's a link to the Post-Dispatch of this morning. Enjoy.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/columns/...

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read Dana Milbank's article about how Sotomayor and Kagan took on Scalia in the Voting Rights Act argument? Here's a link to the Post-Dispatch of this morning. Enjoy.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/columns/...
Yep, that was pretty good. All the more reason to keep a Dem in the White House to replace Scalia when he finally does the world a favor and croaks.

We could have a 6-3 solid liberal/progressive majority on the SCOTUS if Obama or the next Dem President (Hillary?) gets to replace both Scalia & Kennedy who are both 76.

I'd LOVE to see a President Hillary nominate a former President Obama to the SCOTUS to fill Scalia's seat! It wouldn't be the first time a former president (Taft) was on the SCOTUS.

The GOPasaurs would go absolutely apeshit!

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, that was pretty good. All the more reason to keep a Dem in the White House to replace Scalia when he finally does the world a favor and croaks.
We could have a 6-3 solid liberal/progressive majority on the SCOTUS if Obama or the next Dem President (Hillary?) gets to replace both Scalia & Kennedy who are both 76.
I'd LOVE to see a President Hillary nominate a former President Obama to the SCOTUS to fill Scalia's seat! It wouldn't be the first time a former president (Taft) was on the SCOTUS.
I hadn't even considered that possibility. It would be the next natural progression for him. He's filled just about every other job on the way up the ladder. And it would give him life-time tenure to advance the Progressive ideals. But I think ex-Presidents tire out more quickly now. Our country and the world were a lot less complicated back in the time of Taft. But all-in-all I think it's a good idea.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I hadn't even considered that possibility. It would be the next natural progression for him. He's filled just about every other job on the way up the ladder. And it would give him life-time tenure to advance the Progressive ideals. But I think ex-Presidents tire out more quickly now. Our country and the world were a lot less complicated back in the time of Taft. But all-in-all I think it's a good idea.
Obama would be in his mid-to-late 50's. What better way to rest up than a lifetime job where you only work a couple of months each year and hire interns to do all the work.

It would be the perfect payback for his supporting Hillary in 2016.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama would be in his mid-to-late 50's. What better way to rest up than a lifetime job where you only work a couple of months each year and hire interns to do all the work.
It would be the perfect payback for his supporting Hillary in 2016.
Good points. A just reward.

“... from a ...”

GREAT HEIGHT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Obama on the bench of the SCOTUS !!!!

You have finally exceeded all expectations of your capacity for evil designs.

I LOVE IT !!!

Sadly, he'd probably have to recuse himself from almost every issue under current standards.(sigh)

Still, I'm with "Ralph". That one never would have occurred to me.

Good on ya.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••