Grading the Minnesota Vikings against the New Orleans Saints

Full story: TwinCities.com

The Vikings' offense came to life when it mattered most, with Gus Frerotte finding Bernard Berrian for some big catches late in the game, including a 33-yard touchdown that tied the score 27-27. Except for a ...
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Oct 7, 2008
fracas

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

A most improbable win. While I am glad to have it, I don't think we can rely on winning in this fashion every week. It is time for the kickass offense to start living up to its name. The vikings passing game finally opened things up a little bit and started throwing the ball more than 10 yards downfield. They are going to have to start doing more and more of this as teams are determined to stop Peterson from beating them, by putting 8, and sometimes 9, people in the "box".

Chilly says that Kluwe was supposed to kick the ball out of bounds on those punts that were returned for TDs. If he was, then that was a horrible job of punting by Kluwe as the last, in particular, was a line drive that was nowhere near the sideline. The Kickoff coverage was horrible as well.

Tonight we got the benefit of the calls from the officials. Peterson's non-fumble could have easily been ruled a fumble on review. Bush's fumble, when stripped by Greenway, should never have happened, as Greenway obviously should have been flagged for a face-mask penalty. The holding penalty which killed drive 2 for the Saints was the type of penalty which is sometimes called, but often overlooked. As you recall, this killed the drive, resulting in the blocked FG and subsequent viking return for a TD.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad we won. I am just saying that our offense and special teams did little (offense), and nothing (special teams), to win this game. We needed some big plays by the defense, and a whole lot of luck, to win this game. If we are going to win more then we are going to have to play a whole lot better.
purplehaze

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

give klink nothing!...if we were given anything...it was from the saints sloppy play and penalties ( taking nothing away from reggie...unbelieveable player)that put is in a position so often to win that it finally had to happen. having said that...our d had a good game. these reporters must be paid by chiili, to actually believe he found a way to win! give me a break!
Frank

Greenville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Judged:

I can understand Childress being upset with Kluwe for not punting the ball out of bounds, but it would help if Childress's cover teams could actually do their jobs. I know they miss Farwell, but the coverage on both kickoffs and punt returns was beyond atrocious.

Kluwe's a good punter, he just needs some teammates that can cover kicks.
P-O-S

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Give Childress credit? For what? Because the other team couldn't hold on to the ball? What a joke. How many times are you goining to run the same play with Peterson, 29 yards. Behind these supposed All-Pro's, straight up the gut. How about putting a fullback in to do some blocking? How about getting Peterson the ball out in the flat? How about working with Peterson to wait for the hole (If it ever did) to develop. Childress was totally out coached again, but the Saints gave this game away. Ziggy Stardust has to realize that the fanbase is shrinking, and soon it will be down to the T-Wolves level. Childress needs to be replaced. But with who? Nobody on his staff is ready or capable of coaching at this level either. Can't even bring back Bud Grant, he's too old and the game has passed him by. And Jerry Burns probably would have to go to Detox before he would be ready. Childress needs to go.. But then, who would replace him..
Maybe, "FLAFAN", he's an expert.

Randy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Judged:

That one was less about the Vikings winning and more about the Saints doing everything they could to lose that one. And Childress is such a terrible coach. Ugh!

Since: Dec 06

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Judged:

Grade A across the board except for special teams and special teams coach F-
N.O. was cocky on offense.
Vikings Defense rose to the occasion and played hard all night.Minus those punt returns N.O. offense has 16 pts. and a bunch of useless yards.
Viking offense continues to improve,lucky for N.O.AP had a down day.
Coach Childress had this team ready and in the game all evening.They were prepared.
As evidenced by 10 straight unanswered points to seal the deal after those punt returns could have demoralized the team.You guys know nothing of Childress or the Vikings.PERIOD....
Abby Normal

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Childress wrote:
Grade A across the board except for special teams and special teams coach F-
N.O. was cocky on offense.
Vikings Defense rose to the occasion and played hard all night.Minus those punt returns N.O. offense has 16 pts. and a bunch of useless yards.
Viking offense continues to improve,lucky for N.O.AP had a down day.
Coach Childress had this team ready and in the game all evening.They were prepared.
As evidenced by 10 straight unanswered points to seal the deal after those punt returns could have demoralized the team.You guys know nothing of Childress or the Vikings.PERIOD....
Anyone seen my airplane glue? Obviously it's missing and someone is sniffing it.
packer fan

Luck, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Great win for Childress last night. Good news that he'll still be the Viking coach for the foreseeable future.

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Chili didn't win this game. The Saints handed it to Chili on a Silver platter. Chili's coaching should of cost us the game. The Tv guy's couldn't figure out what the heck he was doing. Zygi was falling asleep in the Sky box. Fire him NOW!!!
CHartnett

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Let's face it, there isn't going to be a coaching change this year, no matter how much everyone complains. I am going to just enjoy the fact that a team finally gift wrapped a game for the Vikes the way they have been gift wrapping them all season.
reneg8d69

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Being a life long Vikings fan from Minnesota and living in Louisiana for the past 30 years, last night's game was a barn burner. Dispite mistakes made by the Vikings, it was a team effort and a team win, which was badly needed. Let's keep on rolling because all the professional's think the Vikings are a slow sinking ship.
Archangel

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

packer fan wrote:
Great win for Childress last night. Good news that he'll still be the Viking coach for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, he stinks. Duh. Not all teams can be as impressive as those mighty Packers. I mean, aren't they like on the top of the division right now?...No? They're not? Chicago is? No matter. The mighty GB juggernaut will roll right over The Bears like they always do. I mean, they always do, right?...Right?...Hello?
vikes08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

I disagree that the saints handed it to the vikes.
Great special teams play to block a fg and return it for 6, 2 forced fumbles, a very athletic int, 2 passing tds, a 53 yd fg and a game winner. granted the penalties killed drives for the saints, are we not going to give any credit to our defense and to gus.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••