Bears letting their passer be less passive

There are 20 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 28, 2008, titled Bears letting their passer be less passive. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

There were 29 seconds left in the first half of Sunday night's Bears- Eagles game at Soldier Field when the big announcement was made.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Bruce

Redford, MI

#1 Sep 28, 2008
How is it that Orton fumbles and throws a key interception and takes sacks and this is not merely not condemned but unmentioned or excused. Had Rex Grossman done the same the Bear universe including media types would be calling for his head and worse. Orton made a couple good passes. Hester caught the ball in part because Samuel fell down. When John Madden says Orton is good inside the twenty because at that point on the field "he can make all the throws" this means the guy has no arm and is no deep threat. The passes Orton did throw deep were inept and pathetic. Had the Bears not stopped the Eagles at the 1 yard line does anyone honestly think a guy who put a whole 3 points on the board in the second half could have brought the Bears back? Orton is living on borrowed time and were I Grossman I would be kicking myself every five seconds for signing a one year contract to play for a crowd that is incapable of giving him a break. Let's see where and how Orton and Grossman are playing in two years.
The Truth

Chicago, IL

#2 Sep 28, 2008
Thank goodness for the D line on that goal line stop. Had the Eagles scored, it would have been another heartbreaking loss.

Orton threw some nice passes, but he also threw some bad ones.

The turnovers were stupid and should have been the reason the Bears lost.

They won though.

This team still needs work.

Nice catches by Olsen and Hester. Forte looked good again, especially getting those yards late in the game to put them further from the end zone and eat up more of the clock.
Patrick

San Diego, CA

#3 Sep 28, 2008
Nice passing game by Orton. But it seems that he needs to develop that 6th sense quarterbacks need to have. He didnt do a good job of feeling the pressure coming. On 3 of his turnovers he was hit and had no idea it was coming. He reminded me a lot of grossman in this game. He made the plays down the field, but made the bonehead plays when it came to taking care of the ball in the pocket.

His neckbeard gives him the edge on Grossman though.
D Brezden

Canada

#4 Sep 28, 2008
Thanks for the analysis Bruce. Yes let's.
How is it? It's spelled W-I-N.
Wait till next week, I for one am hoping for another.
Dino

United States

#5 Sep 28, 2008
In the last two games Orton has thrown 2 interceptions into the endzone and 4 interceptions in total with 2 fumbles. That means he's turned the ball over 6 times in two games. Mr. Game Manager he is not!!

Don't tell me about Orton winning the game. He is only 2-2 this year...unless he's planning on taking the Bears to the Super Bowl he hasn't stacked up even to Grossman.
Sean Q

Alameda, CA

#6 Sep 28, 2008
Great points, Haugh. While everyone is focusing on the defense, and deservedly so, you did a great job of noting the turning point of a plot that has been building all season.
That first half I felt like the Bears owned them, could try any play thank god any of the various plays (what a playbook, Turner!) and it had a good chance to gain yards. Part of that is because of Forte and the comendable job the line is doing, but another part of that is because of Orton.
All 3 TD passes were fantastic, so was the shot he had to Hester on that crossing route that Hester should have caught.
It makes me want to go get an Orton jersey. I've turned into a believer.
Sean Q

Alameda, CA

#7 Sep 28, 2008
Come to think of it, how much of Hester's drop on that crossing route had to do with his ribs?
He was extended and an open shot to his ribs could have re-injured him. When you're getting paid that much, you'd like to say it's no excuse to drop that, but then again is it worth the investment?
I say he should have caught it, ribs hurting or not. His competitive attitude makes me believe he'll get a lot better.
BearfanforLife

AOL

#8 Sep 29, 2008
I REALLY wish you-
"Rex Grossman fans"
would "cease and desist", your little diatribes after every game, how the fans and the media was too hard on Rex, Blah, Blah, Blah,.

You sound like those "whiny" folks still "Sour" because Hillary Clinton Lost.

Rex is yesterday's newspaper, spoiled-milk. And he sigened a contract with the Bears,- because no one else wanted the "Diminutive" one.

Look people, word had gotten around the league that Rex was Fra-gile- mentally, easily intimidated,and afraid of the pass-rush. His teamates whispered he went into games NOT fully prepared and was in general, not a good leader. Also, if Lovie gave up on Rex, you KNOW he MUST'VE posses some "egregious" faults. The Bears grew tired of Rex and all his drama.
Football is a team sport, and to CONTINUE to mention Rex, after every game is an "INSULT" to the guys out there busting their hump.
There is NO WAY REX would have stood-up to the ONSLAUGHT of Philly's ferocious Defense.
Perhaps you folks who are so infatuated with Rex can become Indy fans next year when he's holding a clipboard (as a 3rd stringer) for the Colts next year.
If something happens to Orton, I will be cheering Rex,(BECAUSE I'M A BEARS FAN!), hoping he does well, but in all honesty, If Orton goes down, I think the season is "Kaput", if we have to depend on Rex to lead this team.
Bill

Carol Stream, IL

#9 Sep 29, 2008
Bruce wrote:
How is it that Orton fumbles and throws a key interception and takes sacks and this is not merely not condemned but unmentioned or excused. Had Rex Grossman done the same the Bear universe including media types would be calling for his head and worse. Orton made a couple good passes. Hester caught the ball in part because Samuel fell down. When John Madden says Orton is good inside the twenty because at that point on the field "he can make all the throws" this means the guy has no arm and is no deep threat. The passes Orton did throw deep were inept and pathetic. Had the Bears not stopped the Eagles at the 1 yard line does anyone honestly think a guy who put a whole 3 points on the board in the second half could have brought the Bears back? Orton is living on borrowed time and were I Grossman I would be kicking myself every five seconds for signing a one year contract to play for a crowd that is incapable of giving him a break. Let's see where and how Orton and Grossman are playing in two years.

Yeah, Rex fans .......... life's a . REAL . b^i*t^c^h,. ain't it ??

J W Chi

Chicago, IL

#10 Sep 29, 2008
Sean Q: I noticed that you said the O Line was doing a "commendable job" if they were doing ""that good"" of a job Kyle would of not got sacked 3 times and have been pressured so much plus losing two fumbles in the back field. The O line looks like a pair of revolving doors 20-30% of the time. If it wasn't for the backs staying back and blocking when the O line acts like a sieve he would have not protection at all.

The Fumbles, interceptions and sacks mind you will rear up their ugly heads and beat us if they are not eliminated. We got away with a gift. If Akers made the field goal that hit the upright it might of been a different game. They might of instead of kicking an extra point the might of gone for the 2 point conversion to tie the game and send it into overtime. We all know how the Bears fare in overtime. Lets face it the Football Gods were on our side this evening.

The Bears did play a good game in the aspect they had only 1 penalty for 5 yards. Kudos to them behaving themselves!

Orton might not be the Greatest QB but when he is behind the O Line they at least look like they are blocking for him. The pocket doesn't mysteriously disappear and he is left out to dry on every play, as they seem to do for Grossman.
NC Bulls Fan

Selma, NC

#11 Sep 29, 2008
Well put, Bruce. God help us if we need Orton-hears-a-boo to actually win a game for us.
Rich W

Madison, WI

#12 Sep 29, 2008
BearfanforLife wrote:
I REALLY wish you-
"Rex Grossman fans"
would "cease and desist", your little diatribes after every game, how the fans and the media was too hard on Rex, Blah, Blah, Blah,.
You sound like those "whiny" folks still "Sour" because Hillary Clinton Lost.
Rex is yesterday's newspaper, spoiled-milk. And he sigened a contract with the Bears,- because no one else wanted the "Diminutive" one.
Look people, word had gotten around the league that Rex was Fra-gile- mentally, easily intimidated,and afraid of the pass-rush. His teamates whispered he went into games NOT fully prepared and was in general, not a good leader. Also, if Lovie gave up on Rex, you KNOW he MUST'VE posses some "egregious" faults. The Bears grew tired of Rex and all his drama.
Football is a team sport, and to CONTINUE to mention Rex, after every game is an "INSULT" to the guys out there busting their hump.
There is NO WAY REX would have stood-up to the ONSLAUGHT of Philly's ferocious Defense.
Perhaps you folks who are so infatuated with Rex can become Indy fans next year when he's holding a clipboard (as a 3rd stringer) for the Colts next year.
If something happens to Orton, I will be cheering Rex,(BECAUSE I'M A BEARS FAN!), hoping he does well, but in all honesty, If Orton goes down, I think the season is "Kaput", if we have to depend on Rex to lead this team.
I love this Post.

I think it should be noted the team made Orton captain and after the game Briggs said "We have a great QB" if the team accepts him as the QB then I think it is time we the fans of the Bears should also.
Bubba

Sylvania, GA

#13 Sep 29, 2008
"BearfanforLife wrote:
If something happens to Orton, I will be cheering Rex,(BECAUSE I'M A BEARS FAN!), hoping he does well, but in all honesty, If Orton goes down, I think the season is "Kaput", if we have to depend on Rex to lead this team."
Great post... nothing to add or subtract!
northside mike

Chicago, IL

#14 Sep 29, 2008
Bruce wrote:
Will Grossman even be playing in the NFL in two years? He is damaged goods and let's move on. Go Bears!
Brendan H

Mount Rainier, MD

#15 Sep 29, 2008
Haugh, a complete player plays a complete game. Remember all the ragging our defense got for the last two weeks for not "Finishing" games?

Orton is the one who can't play a complete game, and he needs to fix it.

No touchdown throws in our first two games...fine... no touchdowns and 2 interceptions in the first half at TB...played a decent second half, and we "blamed" the D like Orton's first half egg didn't hold us back anyway.

We go against Philly and Orton fires on cyllinders that he didn't even have for 2 quarters...Then polishes up with a few more turnovers and what, 25 yards passing? Stop tryin to make out with this guy and be a journalist.
Arnie

Duluth, GA

#16 Sep 29, 2008
Brendan H wrote:
Haugh, a complete player plays a complete game. Remember all the ragging our defense got for the last two weeks for not "Finishing" games?
Orton is the one who can't play a complete game, and he needs to fix it.
No touchdown throws in our first two games...fine... no touchdowns and 2 interceptions in the first half at TB...played a decent second half, and we "blamed" the D like Orton's first half egg didn't hold us back anyway.
We go against Philly and Orton fires on cyllinders that he didn't even have for 2 quarters...Then polishes up with a few more turnovers and what, 25 yards passing? Stop tryin to make out with this guy and be a journalist.
The reason everyone blamed the defense is because that's where The Bears spent all of its money. This is suppose to be a defensive team FIRST!
Thats why they have been blamed for those 2 loses. They spent millions on defense. The highest 6 players on the Bears are all defensive players. Thats why the got blammed for the loses... They are suppose to dominate and they didn't...

Orton is a work in progress. He's getting better each week. Don't forget Big Ben was sacked 9 time last week and lost. So Philly's D can bring it. The Steelers are considered a Superbowl contender and they scored all of 6 points.
And what, we put up 24 points. And you Grossman fans are complaining. Grossman would have been in a fetal posititon after the first series.

If you Guys expect Orton not to make mistakes your all nuts... I can't wait until he puts it all together for a full game!

We just faced 4 play-off teams and we come away with 2 and 2 and were in every game and could have been 4 - 0.

Go Bears!!!!
Kyle Mediocre Orton

Atlanta, GA

#17 Sep 29, 2008
The Orton compliments are comical. If it was Grossman, people would want to have his head today for 4 TURNOVERS! If the defense didn't play their butts off and bail him out, we would have lost 3 games in large part because the offense can't do anything in the second half. Take a look at how many points we have in the second half this year. This guy can't lead a team down the field when it matters which is exactly why we can't be better than 8-8 with Orton at the helm. He can't hit open receivers. Plain and simple, if Grossman starts all 4 of these guys, we are 4-0 or at worst 3-1. Double standard in this town is ridiculous.
another BS editorial

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Sep 29, 2008
Bruce wrote:
bcz of the nature of Orton's ints unlike GROSS Man he does not looks like a complete chump, GROSS Man is physically unfit to be a QB, he is 6ft tall with little or no es capability and can not see over the D-linemen!!
VA_Hampton_Bears

Hampton, VA

#19 Sep 29, 2008
Can someone please tell me why Grossman name keeps coming up? He is not our quarterback right now, it is Orton. We got a win against a very good Eagles team but yet all i see is a bunch of well if it was Grossman. Let's just be happy for the win and lets look forward to the Lions next week.
Trier Alum 03

Chicago, IL

#20 Sep 29, 2008
Briggs is an animal! He has been the best defensive player for the past 2 seasons. Everyone who was complaining about him wanting a bigger contract can drink a warm glass of shut up juice

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chris Gocong Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barkevious Mingo's lean frame remains a weighty... (May '13) May '13 James Rhodes 1
News Plenty of questions, not many answers: Clevelan... (Sep '12) Sep '12 dan 1
News Cleveland Browns falling behind early, 3-0 -- T... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Puntfarts 2
News Cleveland Browns Take on the St.Louis Rams (Aug '10) Aug '10 papadork 5
News Browns | Roth brings hard-hitting mentality to ... (Aug '10) Aug '10 EjH 5
News Linebacker Gocong Makes 'Quick' Impression at B... (Aug '10) Aug '10 tess malone 1
News Happy to Be Here (Nov '09) Nov '09 JohnnyBgood 31
More from around the web