Bears made bad call on short yardage

Bears made bad call on short yardage

There are 2 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 15, 2008, titled Bears made bad call on short yardage. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The 1-minute-3-second brain cramp the Bears experienced Sunday was not even close to the longest in recorded human history.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

M Torre

Chicago, IL

#1 Sep 15, 2008
Was Kyle even looking where he was throwing on that 3rd down? The corner has to be about 15 yards off the line for that type of pass to work.
LMJN

United States

#2 Sep 16, 2008
I thought the play call to McKie was OK because Forte did get stuffed a couple times during the game when the blocking was poor. I think Bear fans remember Payton taking those kind of shots because he would throw himself into the air and leap over the pileups.I am not sure anyone is looking for Forte to do that (most mortals could not do that continuously the way Payton did). I think the smart money is going to be on the fullback in those situations and the fullback has to be better than the halfback for that kind of play. If not, you don't need the fullback. I think the criticism about spreading things out and at least showing a possible pass to get a few of the extra defensive bodies out of the front makes sense. But again we saw a play just before where there was almost an interception. Coaches do respond to those kind of things - we can look at them in a vacuum from the living room. Ultimately, I think we need to get past the "play not to lose mentality," which runs contrary to how athletes are motivated to perform at higher and higher levels. I'd personally rather see the Bears improve and become an excellent offensive power even if it takes longer rather than limp into the playoffs and be outclassed by a good offense. The Bears defense may be in a class by itself at times, but we are wasting their best years if we can't balance things.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chris Gamble Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Carolina Panthers Recent Cornerback Signings Co... (Mar '13) Mar '13 mark davis 1
News 2013 NFL Team Needs Mock Draft - Carolina Panthers (Dec '12) Dec '12 cory white 2
News What to watch: Carolina Panthers vs. Seattle Se... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Sgt Lincoln 7
News Carolina Panthers: 5 Biggest Takeaways from New... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Tebow 3 Sanchez 3 4
News Teammate: Benched Panthers CB Gamble apologized (Dec '10) Dec '10 triple6vamp 1
News Panthers to Play Ravens Minus 11 Starters (Aug '10) Aug '10 Rae Carruth 3
News Belichick says he has a lot of respect for Moss (Dec '09) Dec '09 Gomer 3
More from around the web