WVU to promote White for Heisman

Apr 16, 2008 Full story: Register-herald.com

“He needs to be our focal point. His teammates would be mad at me, would be livid with us, if we didn't promote him.”

West Virginia plans to start promoting quarterback Patrick White early for the Heisman Trophy. via Register-herald.com

Full Story
tiger

Greensburg, PA

#1 Apr 16, 2008
name one football player that has contributed more to wvu, and wva than pat white, we owe tons to this great young man. Pushing him for the heisman is just one small way to repay him.. thank you pat white...
Zac

AOL

#2 Apr 16, 2008
I can't say I have ever been much of a fan of Rich Rodriguez's coaching style, effective as it has been. I certainly can't say I'm much of a fan of the man himself, all things considered. Though this article is about Pat White, I am in agreement with Rich Rod on this one. Hyping a player for the Heisman is a mistake.

High profile athletes, such as Pat White, have enough to worry about, and more than enough to concentrate on, without a "Sword of Damocles", the likes of arguably the most coveted award in all of college football, hanging over their heads. It's a distraction to a player; it's a distraction to the team; it unwisely channels funds which could be utilized for more important things (like tutoring & books). AND, in this case, it's absolutely unnecessarily.

WVU, admittedly due to the Rodriguez years, is now a high profile, Top-10 program. The eyes of all of college football are upon, among others, WVU. There are even other sports at WVU which have recently garnered national attention such as wrestling, soccer, swimming, riffle, baseball, and that seldom discussed court contest, basketball, which in turn bring attention to the school & football, as football has brought attention to the school and those programs.

Now, without question, Pat White is more than a special athlete; he's a special human being. His work ethic on and off the field dictate he is deserving of consideration. The point is the so called experts & pundits know Pat White exists. They know what he's done; they know this is his last year; they're gonna be looking at him. Many will be looking at him under a microscope for just this purpose. So, I say, among the other "RR" things kept by WVU football, keep this one, and let the team, and the player himself, make their pitch for Pat White where it's meant to be done…on the field. Just a thought.
Bulldozer

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Apr 16, 2008
You know, Zac, that a big part of the CFB system today is to hype potential Heisman candidates and get pub for your school and conference. The conferences also add to the hype, which, as you point out, becomes a distraction far too frequently. However, most schools don't have a way to shield the player or his peers from the hype, so maybe they are doing a disservice to the "potential candidate". Let them decide on the field. I'd rather not even discuss the Heisman until after Thanksgiving at all. But you realize the odds of that happening in the 24-hour a day news cycle world we live in now.
Shane

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Apr 18, 2008
I agree with both points however having a Heisman canidate on the team puts the football program into a position to recruit nationally.
It also pushes WVU and drags the Big East into a legitimate BCS top tiered school.
Despite the strains it puts on Pat White the award is bigger than one person.
If I remember correctly last year seeing Pat and Steve on the front covers of many preseason Magazines. Having the University put up a feel Bill Boards and run some TV spots shouldn't hurt. Heck they need something to justify a $300 a ticket donation just to renue your season tickets. What a crock of crap.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chase Daniel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chiefs Show Promise, Weakness In Preseason Opener Aug '14 The Fat Indian 3
Vikings vs. Chiefs preseason: Game time, TV sch... Aug '14 adriana 1
Floods prompt disaster declaration in central K... (Aug '13) Aug '13 wichita-rick 8
NFL Rumors: New Orleans Saints To Let Go Of A Q... (Feb '13) Apr '13 Shreveport 2
Other than Jermon Bushrod, which New Orleans Sa... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Wayne Morris 2
Saints players say charter bus egged in Atlanta (Nov '12) Nov '12 Dirtybirds 5
Pay it Forward: Liberty High grad Costello cont... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Grateful mom 1
More from around the web