Backing into division title doesn't t...

Backing into division title doesn't thrill Giants

There are 12 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 9, 2008, titled Backing into division title doesn't thrill Giants. In it, Newsday reports that:

James Butler's cell phone rang a little after 7 o'clock Sunday night. It was fellow Giants safety Kenny Phillips calling.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

NC Giant Fan

Charlotte, NC

#1 Dec 9, 2008
Not to get overly concerned but with three tough games left and Carolina picking up momentum the first round bye and homefield advantage are no sure thing. This is going to be tough sledding...
Frenchie Fuqua

Boxborough, MA

#2 Dec 9, 2008
Here's what I don't like about the NFL. Of all the professional sports, the NFL ias the only one to allow for a bye in the playoffs. Putting aside last year's Giants run, a team is at a huge disadvantage by having to play that extra game.
The NHL, MLB and NBA make all their playoff teams play an equal amount of games regardless of winning a division. It is time for the NFL to add 2 more teams to the playoffs ion each Conference and make all the teams play an equal amount of games.
David Brent

Chesterfield, MO

#3 Dec 9, 2008
Backing into the division title??? My *ss! This team is 11-2...that record backs into nothing. Silly newspaper people trying to get attention.
jints

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Dec 9, 2008
Frenchie Fuqua wrote:
Here's what I don't like about the NFL. Of all the professional sports, the NFL ias the only one to allow for a bye in the playoffs. Putting aside last year's Giants run, a team is at a huge disadvantage by having to play that extra game.
The NHL, MLB and NBA make all their playoff teams play an equal amount of games regardless of winning a division. It is time for the NFL to add 2 more teams to the playoffs ion each Conference and make all the teams play an equal amount of games.
I applaud that rule. A team SHOULD be legitimately rewarded for a strong regular season. In baseball, a team with 84 wins faces a team with maybe 100 - and the only advantage gained for the better record (over six months and 162 games) is one lousy extra home game (which means little in baseball anyway).

In the NFL, the top teams are still going all out at the end of the season to secure that bye and home field, which is better for the league. The format then provides the advantage which they earned. The other three sports should follow the NFL on this merit system - when you work hard for several months and outperform your competition, the league should not turn around and level the field for the playoffs. Again, the NFL has it right.
gmen79player

Waterford, MI

#5 Dec 9, 2008
If 1 team scares me in the NFC the rest of the way, it is Carolina. If the Panthers continue to play like that, the Giants won't be going back to the Superbowl! Brandon Jacobs has to stay healthy, and I don't feel too encouraged about that. The Giants should finish 12-4. There last win should come vs. Minnisota. Go Gmen!
Frenchie Fuqua

Boxborough, MA

#6 Dec 10, 2008
jints wrote:
<quoted text>
I applaud that rule. A team SHOULD be legitimately rewarded for a strong regular season. In baseball, a team with 84 wins faces a team with maybe 100 - and the only advantage gained for the better record (over six months and 162 games) is one lousy extra home game (which means little in baseball anyway).
In the NFL, the top teams are still going all out at the end of the season to secure that bye and home field, which is better for the league. The format then provides the advantage which they earned. The other three sports should follow the NFL on this merit system - when you work hard for several months and outperform your competition, the league should not turn around and level the field for the playoffs. Again, the NFL has it right.
I have heard that argument from many football fans. Using your argument, there shouldn't be wildcard teams in any playoff situation. These teams didn't win anything, so why should they even be in the playoffs?
Playoffs in all the sports are a matter of economics. The television contracts are all that matters and playoffs create the most revenue for televison.
If you had an 8 team playoff in each league, 1 vs. 8 and 2 vs. 7, I'm pretty sure the best teams would win. If that is what you're worried about.
Imagine in baseball if a team got to rest its starters for an entire series, or hockey if you didn't have to play a grueling 7 game first round, what an advantage that would be for any team. That's what football has created with the bye.
One more thingh, I hate the phrase, "homefield advantage throughout the playoffs" It is only 2 games, they make it sound as if it was 10.
Archie Manning

Denver, CO

#7 Dec 10, 2008
Backing into position pleases my son Eli. He's been backing into Peyton ever since he's been 11
PJM

United States

#8 Dec 11, 2008
Frenchie Fuqua wrote:
<quoted text>
I have heard that argument from many football fans. Using your argument, there shouldn't be wildcard teams in any playoff situation. These teams didn't win anything, so why should they even be in the playoffs?
Playoffs in all the sports are a matter of economics. The television contracts are all that matters and playoffs create the most revenue for televison.
If you had an 8 team playoff in each league, 1 vs. 8 and 2 vs. 7, I'm pretty sure the best teams would win. If that is what you're worried about.
Imagine in baseball if a team got to rest its starters for an entire series, or hockey if you didn't have to play a grueling 7 game first round, what an advantage that would be for any team. That's what football has created with the bye.
One more thingh, I hate the phrase, "homefield advantage throughout the playoffs" It is only 2 games, they make it sound as if it was 10.
The fact is the wildcard helps TV ratings by giving more teams a chance. And keeping fans interest till the end of the season usually. It also gives good teams in other divisions a chance who sometimes have better records than weaker division champions like the NFC west this year. So these weaker teams must play an extra game to prove the belong, seems fair to me. Plus the NFL is the only sport mentioned where it's just one game not a whole series, you're comparing apples and oranges. there are some advantages to home field, no traveling and crowd noise help somewhat, except when playing the 2007 Giants :o)
PJM

United States

#9 Dec 11, 2008
That should read .... prove they belong,....
Hey frenchie didn't you complain about this last year?
Frenchie Fuqua

Boxborough, MA

#10 Dec 11, 2008
PJM wrote:
That should read .... prove they belong,....
Hey frenchie didn't you complain about this last year?
Yea, I did. Thanks for remembering. I argue about this because I want to see more games. They would be able to televise Wild Card weekend, with a game Friday night, 3 on Saturday, 3 on Sunday and a Monday night. I just think 16 teams in the playoffs may happen in our lifetime. The almighty dollar will win out.
On another note, I am going to contact Harry Carson and the NFLPA on the idea of reviving a long forgotten game that would bring revenue to the retired players. Do you remember the Playoff Bowl? Back in the 60s, they had a game after the NFL Championship game called the Playoff Bowl. It pitted the 2 losing playoff teams. They played it in Miami. In essence it's a consolation game for 3rd place.
I think they should revive this game and play it the week between the championship games and the Super Bowl. All proceeds (after costs) would go to the retired players fund. It would be a meaningless game on the field, but think of the good will it would show to the retired players from the NFL and its present day players.
What do you think?
PJM

United States

#11 Dec 11, 2008
I'm not THAT old ;^) but, I remember a Can-Am game in the '70s I think it was All stars from USA & Canada. Maybe I'm wrong it might have been college players.
Frenchie Fuqua

AOL

#12 Dec 11, 2008
PJM wrote:
I'm not THAT old ;^) but, I remember a Can-Am game in the '70s I think it was All stars from USA & Canada. Maybe I'm wrong it might have been college players.
I'm 50 so I remember a few of the games of the series. In fact, I'm a cousin of Vince Lombardi, and it was Vince who really put the kibosh on the game. He hated playing for 3rd palce. He called the game every negative name in the book.
I don't remember that college game, but I do remember when the college all stars would play the previous year's NFL champion in an exhibition game to start the pre-season.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chase Blackburn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Giant Chase Blackburn could have big rol... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Derrick Eddings 1
News New York Giants: Alec Ogletree Would be Immedia... (Apr '13) Apr '13 mike 1
News Giants signings and rumors: Free agency Day One (Mar '13) Mar '13 Nick A Ragua 2
News Chase Blackburn rumors: Report -- Giants want h... (Feb '13) Feb '13 ignacio avila 1
News Could (should?) the Giants look at Te'o? (Jan '13) Jan '13 John 1
News NY Giants Pay Tribute to Newtown (Jan '13) Jan '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Giants' defensive line has a fun night with fiv... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Billy Ringo 1
More from around the web