Green Bay Packers Rumors: Poor Pass Rush Led to Demise of the Former Super Bowl Champs

Jan 26, 2012 Full story: National Football Authority 11

Last July when the lockout-trimmed off-season brought free agency into a frenzy, the Green Bay Packers had to part ways with veteran tackle Cullen Jenkins .

Full Story
PackerBacker-Wic hitaKs

Wichita, KS

#1 Jan 26, 2012
This article really sums up the Packers' failure at the end of the season. Their lack of a pass rush caught up with them and put way too much pressure on the defensive backfield. This off season, through the draft and exploring FA's, should be Ted Thompson's and Mike McCarthy's opportunity to fix this defense. This is way too good a team to allow a lackluster pass rush to be its achilles heel.
eric

Marshfield, WI

#2 Jan 26, 2012
Like ive said,this is basically the same defense that won the SB the year before.Unf.most of the defensive players had bad years and its a simple case of getting away from the fundamentals esp. tackling ect.That will be pointed out many times and pounded into their respective heads during all the mini camps and training camps come July.In the meantime,GB can take advantage of one of the better drafting staffs in the NFL to upgrade in spots or upgrade in depth in spots and this loss will make them hungrier for next year and if they did get a bit full of themselves,it wont happen again,Losses suck,but, they ( hopefully) can use this loss for good,Remember how it felt and go out there.They just didnt want to be there it seemed,Who knows the determining factors as everyone has reasons/opinions ect and i have mine,you have yours ect.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#3 Jan 26, 2012
How did the pass rush cause the offense and every player on the offense to play so poorly the last game? How did the pass rush cause the coaching staff to coach so poorly the last game? Of course, the Packer pass rush could have been better. However, I didn't see ANY part of the Packer team, from the coaching staff on down, that couldn't have done much better in the game against the Giants. To place a poor TEAM performance on one small part of the team is ridiculous.

In the offseason, efforts should certainly be made to improve the pass rush, but that is not the only area that should be addressed. And the fact that one area needs to be addressed doesn't make it okay to blame that one area for a playoff loss.

If the Patriots win the Super Bowl nobody will be blaming their horrible defense, but it will still be an area of need in the offseason. If the Patriots do lose the Super Bowl, many people will blame their defense even if everybody on the team plays poorly. In any event, win or lose, the Patriots will have needs on defense. It's the same nonsense going on with the Packers. Some people simply need to assign blame, whether or not it makes any sense to do so.
Injury

United States

#4 Jan 26, 2012
I stubbed my toe last week...
PackerBacker-Wic hitaKs

Wichita, KS

#5 Jan 26, 2012
GBPfan wrote:
How did the pass rush cause the offense and every player on the offense to play so poorly the last game? How did the pass rush cause the coaching staff to coach so poorly the last game? Of course, the Packer pass rush could have been better. However, I didn't see ANY part of the Packer team, from the coaching staff on down, that couldn't have done much better in the game against the Giants. To place a poor TEAM performance on one small part of the team is ridiculous.
In the offseason, efforts should certainly be made to improve the pass rush, but that is not the only area that should be addressed. And the fact that one area needs to be addressed doesn't make it okay to blame that one area for a playoff loss.
If the Patriots win the Super Bowl nobody will be blaming their horrible defense, but it will still be an area of need in the offseason. If the Patriots do lose the Super Bowl, many people will blame their defense even if everybody on the team plays poorly. In any event, win or lose, the Patriots will have needs on defense. It's the same nonsense going on with the Packers. Some people simply need to assign blame, whether or not it makes any sense to do so.
We're not trying to place a poor TEAM performance on one small part of the team. It's just the one that sticks out the most. I agree with you on the poor performance of the whole team and the coaching staff. Would you not agree that a poor pass rush puts extreme pressure on the coverage guys? That is all I'm saying. There was plenty of blame to go around for the Giants games. Bad passes, dropped passes, lousy tackling etc. Never thoughtI would say this, but they didn't seemed prepared.
PackerBacker-Wic hitaKs

Wichita, KS

#6 Jan 26, 2012
eric wrote:
Like ive said,this is basically the same defense that won the SB the year before.Unf.most of the defensive players had bad years and its a simple case of getting away from the fundamentals esp. tackling ect.That will be pointed out many times and pounded into their respective heads during all the mini camps and training camps come July.In the meantime,GB can take advantage of one of the better drafting staffs in the NFL to upgrade in spots or upgrade in depth in spots and this loss will make them hungrier for next year and if they did get a bit full of themselves,it wont happen again,Losses suck,but, they ( hopefully) can use this loss for good,Remember how it felt and go out there.They just didnt want to be there it seemed,Who knows the determining factors as everyone has reasons/opinions ect and i have mine,you have yours ect.
This is not a bad team. Hopefully, during OTAs, mini-camps and training camps these issues will be a focus. The Packers were a lousy tackling team all year and on offense there, at times, seemed to be a lack of concentration when it came to catching the ball. The Packers do have one of the better scouting and drafting staffs in the NFL. Several areas on this team need tweaking and I believe they'll get it done and will be on their way to pursuing another Super Bowl.
PackerBacker-Wic hitaKs

Wichita, KS

#7 Jan 26, 2012
Injury wrote:
I stubbed my toe last week...
Ain't that a bitch. Hurts like hell doesn't it?
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#8 Jan 27, 2012
PackerBacker-WichitaKs wrote:
<quoted text>We're not trying to place a poor TEAM performance on one small part of the team. It's just the one that sticks out the most. I agree with you on the poor performance of the whole team and the coaching staff. Would you not agree that a poor pass rush puts extreme pressure on the coverage guys? That is all I'm saying. There was plenty of blame to go around for the Giants games. Bad passes, dropped passes, lousy tackling etc. Never thoughtI would say this, but they didn't seemed prepared.
I agree that a poor pass rush puts pressure on the coverage guys. Don't you agree that a poor rushing attack puts pressure on the passing game, the QB and receivers? Don't you agree that a poor passing game puts pressure on the running backs and offensive line? Don't you agree that a poor run defense puts more pressure on the coverage guys because they have to put more emphasis on covering the run? Don't you agree that poor coaching puts more pressure on everybody? Don't you agree that ...

I think we all can agree that on a TEAM, everything has an effect on everything else. That isn't the point. This thread is under a headline that claims: "Poor Pass Rush Led to Demise of the Former Super Bowl Champs." That is a ridiculous and inaccurate oversimplification. The same pass rush was there during the 15 wins this season! The Packers only won 14 games ALL of last season, including the postseason.

The demise of the Packers this season occurred in a single playoff game in which no part of the Packer team performed well. The pass rush didn't cost the Packers ANY regular season games and it didn't cost the Packers the game against the Giants. As you said, there was plenty of blame to go around.

The Packers clearly should attempt to improve the pass rush. However, that is no reason to place the blame for the season's "demise" on the pass rush. The Packers should try to improve the running game also. Should the running game be blamed for the season's demise? Aaron Rodgers didn't play extremely well against the Giants. Should he be blamed for the season's demise? There is plenty of fault to be found if people focus on any one area or player. However, targeting one area or player for BLAME is unnecessary and unproductive. THAT is my point.
PackerBacker-Wic hitaKs

Wichita, KS

#9 Jan 27, 2012
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that a poor pass rush puts pressure on the coverage guys. Don't you agree that a poor rushing attack puts pressure on the passing game, the QB and receivers? Don't you agree that a poor passing game puts pressure on the running backs and offensive line? Don't you agree that a poor run defense puts more pressure on the coverage guys because they have to put more emphasis on covering the run? Don't you agree that poor coaching puts more pressure on everybody? Don't you agree that ...
I think we all can agree that on a TEAM, everything has an effect on everything else. That isn't the point. This thread is under a headline that claims: "Poor Pass Rush Led to Demise of the Former Super Bowl Champs." That is a ridiculous and inaccurate oversimplification. The same pass rush was there during the 15 wins this season! The Packers only won 14 games ALL of last season, including the postseason.
The demise of the Packers this season occurred in a single playoff game in which no part of the Packer team performed well. The pass rush didn't cost the Packers ANY regular season games and it didn't cost the Packers the game against the Giants. As you said, there was plenty of blame to go around.
The Packers clearly should attempt to improve the pass rush. However, that is no reason to place the blame for the season's "demise" on the pass rush. The Packers should try to improve the running game also. Should the running game be blamed for the season's demise? Aaron Rodgers didn't play extremely well against the Giants. Should he be blamed for the season's demise? There is plenty of fault to be found if people focus on any one area or player. However, targeting one area or player for BLAME is unnecessary and unproductive. THAT is my point.
Couldn't agree more with what your saying. All of these factors showed up at one game at the wrong time. We alll knew the deficiencies this team had and unfortunately, they all happened at once.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#10 Jan 27, 2012
<quoted text>Couldn't agree more with what your saying. All of these factors showed up at one game at the wrong time. We alll knew the deficiencies this team had and unfortunately, they all happened at once.
The good news is that the Packers don't need to improve drastically. Look at all the deficiencies that the Patriots have and they are playing in the Super Bowl. The Giants lost 7 games this season and they are in the Super Bowl. If the Packers improve only slightly in some areas they should make the playoffs again next season. And as we have seen in the last 2 years, anything can happen then.
Save Our Schedule

United States

#11 Jan 27, 2012
<quoted text>Ain't that a bitch. Hurts like hell doesn't it?
Yep...but at least I didnt stub my brain like ezg...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charles Woodson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
DeSean Jackson intrigues Raiders (Mar '14) Feb 10 DeBoner Jerkson 4
Charles Woodson returning to Raiders Feb 2 OldFartzDependz 2
Ray Lewis says the only reason anyone knows Tom... Jan '15 Brady Bulge 28
2015 NFL Draft: Oakland Raiders' Top 5 Needs Dec '14 Philatus 4
Charles Woodson and Justin Tuck Said They Would... Nov '14 Tony 2
As Broncos await, Oakland Raiders eager to shed... Nov '14 Tony 4
Geno Smith's Slower Trigger Oct '14 Flatulence Fred 92
More from around the web