Packers need more from backup cornerb...

Packers need more from backup cornerbacks

There are 8 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Aug 23, 2010, titled Packers need more from backup cornerbacks. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The idea that the Green Bay Packers' defense isn't itself without cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris isn't exactly a startling revelation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

TorVikeFan

Scarborough, Canada

#1 Aug 24, 2010
With almost zero pass rush capabilities and LBs who are poor in pass coverage, pass defence will be GB's defensive Achille's heel, even if the secondary plays well. You heard it here.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#2 Aug 24, 2010
TorVikeFan wrote:
With almost zero pass rush capabilities and LBs who are poor in pass coverage, pass defence will be GB's defensive Achille's heel, even if the secondary plays well. You heard it here.
Thanks for your observation of what happened last year. We Packer fans actually watched the games and are familiar with what happened. Making that prediction of yours is about as bold as Packer fans predicting the Vikings to choke! There is a reason the games are played. What Viking fan would watch the games if the past dictated the future?

I predict that poor secondary play and turnovers will be the Viking's Achilles' heel. You heard it here.
Jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#3 Aug 24, 2010
No doubt people will scrutinize GB D from LAST years performance and they have every right to. We'll see when they hit the field against Philly week 1. You can't take anything from preseason. Last year AR didn't even get touched in the preseason and it looked like GB got the O-line ready to go, but we seen how that turned out the first 8 weeks.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#5 Aug 24, 2010
Jeremy wrote:
No doubt people will scrutinize GB D from LAST years performance and they have every right to. We'll see when they hit the field against Philly week 1. You can't take anything from preseason. Last year AR didn't even get touched in the preseason and it looked like GB got the O-line ready to go, but we seen how that turned out the first 8 weeks.
You can't take ANYTHING from preseason? I guess that means that the indications that the offense will rock are meaningless.

You can take things from the preseason. Just don't make the mistake of only taking the positives. Turning a blind eye doesn't change anything. It just makes a person so that they don't see what's going on.
Jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#6 Aug 25, 2010
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't take ANYTHING from preseason? I guess that means that the indications that the offense will rock are meaningless.
You can take things from the preseason. Just don't make the mistake of only taking the positives. Turning a blind eye doesn't change anything. It just makes a person so that they don't see what's going on.
Anything was too big a word, sorry. What I was saying is GB offensive line was GREAT last preseason and they ended up being exposed immediately. The D isn't playing dominant, lights out performances now, but does that really mean their gonna suck this year? No, you really can't base offensive and Defensive production this early, not until at least a few weeks into the season. Predicting anything now is foolish, just like ESPN guys predicting team records for the year. The Steelers won the Superbowl 2 years ago and didn't even make the playoffs the following year. Its so hard to predict anything in the NFL, but that is what makes it the best sport in the world. But of course I predict GB will be good this year, that is why were fans, short for fanatic.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#7 Aug 25, 2010
It means "The D isn't playing dominant, lights out performances now." It doesn't mean that the D won't play better during the season, just as the offense playing well now doesn't mean the offense will play well during the season. But there's the possibility (if not probability) that things may continue as they are. It would be nice to see some better play from the ST and D.
normallylikeyell ow

State College, PA

#8 Aug 26, 2010
Sentiments accepted in terms of "let's not panic," guys. However, preseason is useful, in my view, to see where the "ones" are at (just look at the Vikings--they've got serious problems) and evaluate your back-ups. True the play is sloppy and the first team isn't in as much, but I take a lot from Matt Flynn's improvement and (although it's no embarrassment) Pat Lee/Brandon Underwood getting taken to school by T.J. Houshmandzadeh and our dreadful kickoff team. Imagine, as proposed, we were starting the season this week. We've got some stuff to fix.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#9 Aug 26, 2010
And you never know how soon a team's depth will be tested. The Vikings are a good example with the Rice surgery. It's only natural to want to see the problems fixed before new ones start cropping up. Because sooner or later, every team will have their depth tested.

Plus the Packers have had numerous starters missing playing and practice time. They might be projected to start week one, but they may also have some rust to shake off.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charles Woodson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Raiders vs. Texans playoff preview (Jan '17) Jan '17 SharePharts 12
News Raiders Fan's Drunken Karate Exhibition Ends Wh... (Sep '16) Sep '16 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 10
News NFL: Rice runs autographs for Landry at Pro Bow... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Fart news 2
News NFL legend to retire (Dec '15) Dec '15 Fart news 4
News Raiders' Del Rio wouldn't change late play call... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Farts losers 1
News Thompson: 49ers, Raiders truths about to be rev... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Fart news 4
News Raiders' Khalil Mack adding weight, next is sac... (Jun '15) Jun '15 tom wingo 2
More from around the web