Charles Woodson of Green Bay Packers gets two-year extension, source says

Sep 9, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: ESPN

Charles Woodson , the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, agreed to a two-year contract extension Thursday with the Green Bay Packers , a league source confirmed to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Sep 12, 2010
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Judged:

Charles deserves this. Congratulations! You da man!
Danger

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

One of the great free agent pickups in Packer history.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

TT may not be a big player in the FA market every year, but he does take care of his own players that have produced. Guys like Driver and now Woodson getting extensions at the latter stages of their careers is a great move by management. Both are well deserved for not only what they do on the field, but being leaders in the locker room. It's all about team chemistry and GB has that.
Jeremy

Mooreton, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

wal0645 wrote:
TT may not be a big player in the FA market every year, but he does take care of his own players that have produced. Guys like Driver and now Woodson getting extensions at the latter stages of their careers is a great move by management. Both are well deserved for not only what they do on the field, but being leaders in the locker room. It's all about team chemistry and GB has that.
Driver isn't "his" player, but Woodson was a hell of a move. Signing Woodson and drafting AR is by far the best moves TT has ever made for GB.
eric

Monroe, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

followed by signing Ryan Pickett,Brandon Chilar and Josh Sitton and of course drafting J.Finley and Grege Jennings
eric

Monroe, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

Sorry about that extra e at the end of Greg.
eric

Monroe, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

GBPfan wrote:
Charles deserves this. Congratulations! You da man!
Are you and your family safe from these Colorado Wild Fires? I hope so,my best to you and your family, friends and to the good folks of Colorado!
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

eric wrote:
<quoted text>Are you and your family safe from these Colorado Wild Fires? I hope so,my best to you and your family, friends and to the good folks of Colorado!
I'm in Colorado Springs. The fires have been devastating to many in the Boulder area. But thanks for your concern. I'm sure those affected, including the firefighters, appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers.

Here's to a good start to the season and first place in the division! GO PACK GO!
eric

Monroe, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

The Packers havent won in Philly since 1961, so nows a great time to end that streak!
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

Jeremy wrote:
<quoted text>Driver isn't "his" player, but Woodson was a hell of a move. Signing Woodson and drafting AR is by far the best moves TT has ever made for GB.
I second that!!!!We got lucky with Rodgers, but I aint complaining. I think getting Ryan Grant for what a 6th rounder was also pretty sweet.
eric

Monroe, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

Sometimes its better to be lucky then good! Rodgers fell into the Packers hand,so i dont give Ted points for that one,Favre was talking retirement so it had to happen.
I like when he
Traded Javon Walker and that pick down for a pick and grabbed Greg Jennings
Traded the Favre pick and their own UP ( for once) and grabbed Clay Mathews Jr.
I think Chilar move was very underated,
BUT as much as i hate to agree with GBPfan he does have is points as well,we are thin at corner and if the packer defense does have another repeat of last year then there will be shouts of head have to roll and i would agree with that! BILL COWHER anyone!
PLUS we also have to realize 1 thing
3 years ago the Packers made 30M in profit
2 years ago it was a bit less
last year it was somewhere around 5-10M range and with salaries and costs going up and the Packers almost max.out on revenue,it has to be an issue of concern,Like it or not,that might be some of the reason why Ted isnt a FA hawk.YES, he said he prefers to build from within ( admitted) but we dont know what restrictions Ted is under as well.
NOW, does that bail him out from having corners like we do? NO DEPTH NO we prob could have gotten away with signing a FA corner somewhere and releasing Jarrett Bush ect.but, we shall see where we go and see whats what.
Jeremy

Mooreton, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2010

eric wrote:
Sometimes its better to be lucky then good! Rodgers fell into the Packers hand,so i dont give Ted points for that one,Favre was talking retirement so it had to happen.
I like when he
Traded Javon Walker and that pick down for a pick and grabbed Greg Jennings
Traded the Favre pick and their own UP ( for once) and grabbed Clay Mathews Jr.
I think Chilar move was very underated,
BUT as much as i hate to agree with GBPfan he does have is points as well,we are thin at corner and if the packer defense does have another repeat of last year then there will be shouts of head have to roll and i would agree with that! BILL COWHER anyone!
PLUS we also have to realize 1 thing
3 years ago the Packers made 30M in profit
2 years ago it was a bit less
last year it was somewhere around 5-10M range and with salaries and costs going up and the Packers almost max.out on revenue,it has to be an issue of concern,Like it or not,that might be some of the reason why Ted isnt a FA hawk.YES, he said he prefers to build from within ( admitted) but we dont know what restrictions Ted is under as well.
NOW, does that bail him out from having corners like we do? NO DEPTH NO we prob could have gotten away with signing a FA corner somewhere and releasing Jarrett Bush ect.but, we shall see where we go and see whats what.
I have to disagree with the Rodgers thing. Jimmy Clauson fell into Minn lap and they passed. TT made the move to prepare for the future, Minn went all in with BF and T Jack. QB drafting is kind of a crap shoot, but TT went about it the right way, not throwing a young QB into the fire. Minn is f...ed for the future.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2010

Jeremy wrote:
<quoted text>I have to disagree with the Rodgers thing. Jimmy Clauson fell into Minn lap and they passed. TT made the move to prepare for the future, Minn went all in with BF and T Jack. QB drafting is kind of a crap shoot, but TT went about it the right way, not throwing a young QB into the fire. Minn is f...ed for the future.
You're assuming that Jackson will NEVER become any good AND you're not taking into account the fact that the Vikings are willing to sign free agents! As the Vikings have shown, a team doesn't need to draft a QB. Plus there's no guarantee that the Vikes won't draft a good young QB eventually also. I doubt anybody loves to see the Vikes fail more than me, but the Vikings are only guaranteed to be screwed if they had a GM like Ted Thompson. You know the type, do nothing but draft and hope. They don't, so only time will tell.
Jeremy

Mooreton, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2010

GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
You're assuming that Jackson will NEVER become any good AND you're not taking into account the fact that the Vikings are willing to sign free agents! As the Vikings have shown, a team doesn't need to draft a QB. Plus there's no guarantee that the Vikes won't draft a good young QB eventually also. I doubt anybody loves to see the Vikes fail more than me, but the Vikings are only guaranteed to be screwed if they had a GM like Ted Thompson. You know the type, do nothing but draft and hope. They don't, so only time will tell.
Jackson has been in the league long enough to know he isn't gonna miraculously become an all pro.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2010

Jeremy wrote:
<quoted text>Jackson has been in the league long enough to know he isn't gonna miraculously become an all pro.
Jackson has been in the league long enough FOR US to know he isn't gonna miraculously become an all pro. If he's any kind of competitor, he will probably never believe that about himself.
Jeremy

Mooreton, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2010

GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Jackson has been in the league long enough FOR US to know he isn't gonna miraculously become an all pro. If he's any kind of competitor, he will probably never believe that about himself.
His confidence is shot. Management bringing in BF and begging him to play for them tells it all. Management didn't have to tell him he sucks, they just went out and brought BF in to try and win a Superbowl, unlike the optimism they felt for Jackson..
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2010

Judged:

Jeremy wrote:
<quoted text>His confidence is shot. Management bringing in BF and begging him to play for them tells it all. Management didn't have to tell him he sucks, they just went out and brought BF in to try and win a Superbowl, unlike the optimism they felt for Jackson..
You may be right. But I still think that IF he has the deep competitive spirit he won't let others affect the confidence he has in himself. Other QBs have struggled abit early in their careers and went on to play well. I'm not a believer in Jackson, but stranger things have happened. BTW being second to Favre doesn't really mean a QB sucks. Look at all the QBs that have sat behind Favre only to have pretty good careers later, including our current QB.
Jeremy

Mooreton, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2010

GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
You may be right. But I still think that IF he has the deep competitive spirit he won't let others affect the confidence he has in himself. Other QBs have struggled abit early in their careers and went on to play well. I'm not a believer in Jackson, but stranger things have happened. BTW being second to Favre doesn't really mean a QB sucks. Look at all the QBs that have sat behind Favre only to have pretty good careers later, including our current QB.
I'm sure he has competitive spirit, otherwise he would have never made the NFL. He just needs a change of scenery, that is what usually propels some QB's careers. Like Rich Gannon for example.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••