Shooter Now: What will the Vikings do when Brett Favre retires?

Full story: TwinCities.com

The Minnesota Vikings, regardless of the outcome of this season, clearly are in a transition year.
Comments
1 - 20 of 40 Comments Last updated Sep 10, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Le Braun

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Judged:

Bring back Jeff George

“sorry we're out of cheese”

Since: Feb 07

jacksonville beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Judged:

Joe Webb will be qb of the future for MN. He will be starter next season - if there is one..
F U Ann Yourmama

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Le Braun wrote:
Bring back Jeff George
Wow, the king of dropped snaps, paired with fumbles Adrian P.

“sorry we're out of cheese”

Since: Feb 07

jacksonville beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Jackson will be somewhere else hopefully, bert will be gone for good hopefully, and the vikes will continue to be the most consistent winning team in the NFL. Transistion or not - the vikes get wins and thats what matters.. Vikes rule
wcott

Thunder Bay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Judged:

20-odd million less with Brett's contract gone...use that money to beef up the offensive line in free agency. Draft D-linemen and the best young QB available. See how Webb fares this year, and maybe he can stick around as the #1 backup next year. Maybe get rid of TJack and get a veteran QB for a year or two, max.
Questions Galore

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

bulldog3 wrote:
Jackson will be somewhere else hopefully, bert will be gone for good hopefully, and the vikes will continue to be the most consistent winning team in the NFL. Transistion or not - the vikes get wins and thats what matters.. Vikes rule
Funny but.......
So winning a Superbowl is not in your schedule?
Poole5250

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Judged:

None of it matters anyway...The Vikings will be in another state in couple of years. Go Boise Vikings!!!
BigSky Viking

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Judged:

They aint goin nowhere. The legislature is gonna put it together. Jersey Tax, Motel tax, rental car tax...All out of stater funds, for the most part. Couple pennies on the fuel tax and lower the license plate fees; give the locals a break and tax out of staters like me who drive through for Viking games, Twins Games and all sorts of Walleye Tournaments and don't care about a couple pennies per gallon. You fuel tax is lower than Wisconsin; might as well match the Packers and get your stadium
BigSky Viking

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

I been preachin this for two years....come on St. Paul pull your head out. You can NOT afford to lose the jobs and tax base the Vikings bring in. Make it first class and it will pay for itself.
tim

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

BigSky Viking wrote:
They aint goin nowhere. The legislature is gonna put it together. Jersey Tax, Motel tax, rental car tax...All out of stater funds, for the most part. Couple pennies on the fuel tax and lower the license plate fees; give the locals a break and tax out of staters like me who drive through for Viking games, Twins Games and all sorts of Walleye Tournaments and don't care about a couple pennies per gallon. You fuel tax is lower than Wisconsin; might as well match the Packers and get your stadium
If it were that easy, we would have a new stadium already. I hope it gets done, but i dont see it unless we win a super bowl.
jeb

Berkeley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

i think the vikings will be fine in the future. our main offensive weapons (AD, sid, percy) are still young and even shank and BB at 29 still have many good years left in them. as far as a contracts, yes, we need to sign adrian to a MONSTER contract, but with sid it seems like he kinda blew that approach. unless he has a MAJOR second half of this season he doesn't have much ground to stand on as far as long, bountiful contracts go.
our concern is more beefing our Oline back up. hutch is getting up there, mckinnie seems to get more and more complacent every year and our RG spot has not been solid in years. it would also help to find a FB who isn't terrible and another blocking TE cause the all-time great jimmy kliensausage is gettin up there. doing this makes our certain QB worries a little less so. to be honest, not sure where we go after this year at QB.
we have done a great job with our defense drafting quality backups so when the older guys retire we have guys to step up and take over. our Dline is the best in the league, top to bottom. our starters are the best and the guys that back them are better then a lot of starters elsewhere.
we have to lock up chad for a long deal but even if E.J. doesn't have continued success jasper's rate of improvement has been great. leber is very good for our system, love the guy, but he is replaceable. we are good with our LBs but a little more depth behind jasper and erin (who IS improving) would be good.
everyone talks about our DBs and how weak we are, and i will admit that the benny sapp trade is now hurting us, but i think we are okay there as well. ced is still young and as long as he comes back strong will be a great CB for years. chris cook appears to be a monster and asher allen is also starting to impress. when antoine retires these guys will step up. safties...well, what do you say. they have been our weakest link for at least three years now. i like jamarca sanford and madiu and tyrell appear to be playing better, but this is a position that will need attention.
wow...this ended up a little long...that was not my intention when i started.
Robbie

Edenton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

The title of this post was "What Will the Vikings Do When Brett Favre Retires?" Well take it for what it's worth and ask yourself why Donovan McNabb did't sign an extended contract when it was offered by the Redskins. He could have retired in Washington but what do him and his old coach Childress have up their sleeve?? McNabb the starter and Joe Webb takes over in 2 years?? Stay tuned..........
dch6859

Alliance, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Further proof of Klink's stupidity. This should have been the year for the QB of the future (which is right now) if Klink would have drafted a REAL QB 4 years ago. The team is in it's prime, now, Favre goes and so does the talent and the new QB has no weapons to use and gets whupped on. What good is a good, young stud during a rebuilding phase? Way to go Klink. You are PATHETIC and a lousy coach.
WHATEVER 5

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

dch6859 wrote:
Further proof of Klink's stupidity. This should have been the year for the QB of the future (which is right now) if Klink would have drafted a REAL QB 4 years ago. The team is in it's prime, now, Favre goes and so does the talent and the new QB has no weapons to use and gets whupped on. What good is a good, young stud during a rebuilding phase? Way to go Klink. You are PATHETIC and a lousy coach.
You mean that awesome draft that produced QB greats Matt Leinart and Brody Croyle?

Or did you mean the following year's draft, the one that cranked out superstars Jamarcus Russell and Brady Quinn?

Those were lean years for QB's, and Tarvaris Jackson, despite how hated he might be in Minnesota, has actually preformed better than almost every other QB taken in the '06 and '07 drafts.

Since: Sep 08

Lakeville, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

dch6859 wrote:
you are correct on all accounts

Lakeville, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Robbie wrote:
The title of this post was "What Will the Vikings Do When Brett Favre Retires?" Well take it for what it's worth and ask yourself why Donovan McNabb did't sign an extended contract when it was offered by the Redskins. He could have retired in Washington but what do him and his old coach Childress have up their sleeve?? McNabb the starter and Joe Webb takes over in 2 years?? Stay tuned..........
childress can barely pass as a coach, i doubt he has anything up his sleeve

Since: Mar 09

Saint Augustine, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

There will be some lean years ahead.
Community Disorganizer

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Hopefully the Saints will retire Favre tonight.

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Community Disorganizer wrote:
Hopefully the Saints will retire Favre tonight.
He looked pretty old and tired, no way he finishes the season.

Lakeville, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

The Golf Guy wrote:
<quoted text> He looked pretty old and tired, no way he finishes the season.
i am asupporter of Brett, but i thought the same thing

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chad Greenway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Minnesota Vikings: 5 Players with Something to ... Aug 3 40for60 6
Vikings: Lots to learn, little time to do it Jun '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway rescues two pe... Jun '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Vikings will take a hard look at linebackers in... May '14 Laughing Bear Fan 12
Minnesota Vikings Day 1 Draft Primer May '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Minnesota Vikings: A mock draft wish list May '14 The Real Spielman... 2
2014 NN community mock draft: With the 8th pick... Apr '14 Lito 1

Search the Chad Greenway Forum:
•••
•••