Brad Childress on Vikings: 'I didn't ...

Brad Childress on Vikings: 'I didn't do everything perfectly, but I felt I coached my way'

There are 229 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 3, 2010, titled Brad Childress on Vikings: 'I didn't do everything perfectly, but I felt I coached my way'. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress as his team plays the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field Sunday October 24, 2010.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Rabid Fan

Portland, OR

#1 Dec 3, 2010
Brad Childress on Vikings:'I didn't do everything perfectly, but I felt I coached my way'

Yea, and it didn't work.... Bye Bye......
jonnyk

Eden Prairie, MN

#2 Dec 3, 2010
What a nutjob-his firing was long overdue-he is not NFL head coach material
Pete

Herndon, VA

#3 Dec 3, 2010
Perfect wasn't necessary, just a HECK of a lot better.
Bob

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Dec 3, 2010
Yes, that was the problem.
Mobile Pete

Mobile, AL

#5 Dec 3, 2010
Childress keeps saying he left the job and team better than when he got it.
Huh?

Mike Tice 32-33, 1 playoff win, left team 9-7
Brad Childress 39-35, 1 playoff win, left team 3-7

That's better??
Frank W

Spartanburg, SC

#6 Dec 3, 2010
For Childress to suggest that he left the team in better shape than he found it is laughable. For one thing, Mike Tice was 9-7 in his final season, while Childress was 3-7. That's better?

While Childress may be speaking about the quality on the roster, it's also worth noting that Tice operated for most of his tenure under an owner who wasn't as willing to spend as Mr. Wilf. For Childress to suggest that he alone is responsible for the quality on the roster right now is questionable at best. I do think the player personnel on the team is better now that it was after the 2005 season. However, Childress is not the only guy responsible for the roster, as the Randy Moss trade (which Childress opposed) made obvious.

While I can see why Childress is upset about being fired, I am still very happy he's gone. While he had a role in building a quality roster, his mishandling of the team's QB position has left the Vikings with no starting-caliber QB after this year. His insistence on forcing Tarvaris Jackson into the starting lineup before TJ was ready ruined Jackson. In addition, Childress ignored the free agent market and refused to land a quality starter; he even passed on pursuing Drew Brees despite Brees's success in San Diego. Instead, he paraded a long string of career backups in here (Bollinger, Holcomb, Rosenfels, Frerotte) trading for the first three. He traded up to draft John David Booty and ended up cutting him just one year later. Why? To keep Tarvaris Jackson on the roster.

It took Childress three seasons to better Mike Tice's 9-7 record in 2005. Yeah, Childress won two division titles, and that's good. But a 3-7 record with this roster? He deserved to be fired. Childress may be a fine position coach or coordinator. But he's not head coaching material.

Childress's downfall was his ego, just like Dennis Green. Childress refused to learn from his mistakes, his biggest being his insistence that Tarvaris Jackson was the team's franchise QB of the future. Childress acted like he was Bill Belichick, or like someone who had already won multiple Super Bowls. Yeah he got the team to within a botched play-call and a stupid Favre pass from the Super Bowl. But this isn't horse-shoes or hand-grenades.

So long, Brad, and I wish you luck elsewhere. But don't walk away thinking you've done a great job here. Yes, you coached your way. Your failure was in not realizing that you needed to adjust certain aspects of your coaching and your approach to your players. Your failure to do this cost this team it's 2010 season, and you your job. If you are not willing to learn from your mistakes, you will do no better anywhere else.

You might think about giving Tom Coughlin a call. He's a head coach with a history of being a hard-liner. But he changed and not only saved his job, and won a Super Bowl in the process. Too bad you couldn't have taken the same approach.
Coach Clueless

Iowa City, IA

#7 Dec 3, 2010
He still doesn't get it, and never will.
Wizconie

Amery, WI

#8 Dec 3, 2010
Viking will look alot different next year. Brett Favre should get a cut of the huge bonus Chilly got last year, it was all Favre in 2009. BTW, Packers will go 10-6 and miss the playoffs.
VikingGolfer

Montgomery, AL

#9 Dec 3, 2010
Have fun in sunny Florida Chilly... We will do better without you..
GO VIKES!!!! 2011!!!
Ricestreeter

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Dec 3, 2010
He was the 2nd worst coach in Vikings history right behind Les Steckel.
Matthew

Mount Airy, GA

#11 Dec 3, 2010
You're right Chilly. You did things your way.. and it got you fired. Keep doing things your way and you'll follow the path of Chan Gailey; constantly mired in mediocrity while never achieving ultimate success. You'll be known as "a good man" but never a good coach. But hey, you just keep hanging your hat on the fact that you were too stubborn to realize "your way" wasn't quite the best way.
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Dec 3, 2010
I think we can all agree he coached "his way".
Manny

Babbitt, MN

#13 Dec 3, 2010
You never gave your team a chance by being so auto cratic with your management style. Your decision to aquired Randy Moss was the beggining of your own demise. Not a well thought out decision, just like your releasing him even though it was the right move it was mainly your arrogant style that was finally your downfall and put you in a no win situation with your players. You did zilch with a load of talented players although injuries was also a key.
purplehaze1

St. John's, Canada

#14 Dec 3, 2010
you did it your way...did you Klink...news flash...your way was a mess...furthermore, take away BF'S lights out play last season and (much to my dismay); you wouldn't have lasted until this Novemeber...dipshyt...GO VIKES!!!
conservative observations

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Dec 3, 2010
Of course, he did it his own way and is now looking for another job. On the other hand, he apparently feels like that was the only way that he could feel good about himself as a coach if he did it his own way. Good for him!
Mike

Rochester, MN

#16 Dec 3, 2010
Kudos to Brad Childress for at least speaking to the media since his firing unlike that Brewster character over at the U.

Hard to feel bad for Childress when he is sitting in Florida and being paid $7 million to not work...It's not your "average Joe" losing his job...
Mormon Nailer

Clear Lake, WI

#17 Dec 3, 2010
♪♫ I did it myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy ♫♪
Straight cash homey

Duluth, MN

#18 Dec 3, 2010
Ricestreeter wrote:
He was the 2nd worst coach in Vikings history right behind Les Steckel.
Considering what he had to work with, I'd say Childress was unquestionably the worst. Plus, at least ownership was smart enough to realize their mistake and fire Steckel after a single season. Childress set this franchise back a decade.
DAVE SHIMANO

Gilbert, AZ

#19 Dec 3, 2010
Don't feel bad Brad you were a coach for a LOOSER team with a broken down old Quarterback, You still have the skills to get a superbowl or two someone will pick you up and you'll get the team you deserve

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“....careless whisper.”

Since: May 10

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Dec 3, 2010
'I didn't do everything perfectly, but I felt I coached my way'- Brad Childress.

In other words, "I knew that I was messing up, but I was too stubborn to make any changes."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chad Greenway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brian Robison keeps belief in Vikings going int... (May '17) May '17 Keep phartz 4
News Vikings' Linebacker Chad Greenway Expected To A... (Jan '17) Feb '17 ExpectedPharts 3
News Part One: Prioritizing The Vikings In-House Fre... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Fart news 2
News Detroit Lions Cannot Take Minnesota Vikings Lig... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Fart news 12
News Vikings' DE Everson Griffen insists 'sky is the... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Fart Update 2
News 2015 NFL Draft: Minnesota Vikings' 5 Biggest Ne... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Falsified IPs 22
News Minnesota Vikings Player Power Rankings, Final ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Magnum Man II 1
More from around the web