Vikings' Rick Spielman: LB Chad Green...

Vikings' Rick Spielman: LB Chad Greenway and WR Sidney Rice candidates for franchise tag

There are 96 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 15, 2011, titled Vikings' Rick Spielman: LB Chad Greenway and WR Sidney Rice candidates for franchise tag. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Minnesota Vikings are evaluating whether to use a franchise tag on a free agent, vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman said today, but he made it clear the team wants to preserve its young nucleus - including linebacker Chad Greenway and wide receiver Sidney Rice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
KANSAS CITY VIKING

United States

#1 Feb 15, 2011
Tag Chad!!! Sydney was not shit untill #4 was throwing him the ball. Please dont lock up a bunch of money into a kid that we dont know has completely come back from a serious hip surgery!
Mike

Wichita Falls, TX

#2 Feb 15, 2011
Sidney Rice is only as good of a receiver as his QB. Rice will shine and dominate with a QB of star quality, IE Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Big Ben etc. He will make outstanding plays and blow it up with those type of guys. Tavaris Jackson? no way. A rookie QB? No way. Webb? No way.
McHale

United States

#3 Feb 15, 2011
"We're going to be a younger team for sure," Spielman said. "Rookies will be forced into action."

In other words - Rebuilding year!
Purple Haze

Center City, MN

#4 Feb 15, 2011
With no clear QB solution the best chance for the Vikes to be competitive is to role all of the resources in to the Defensive side of the Ball. Remember when Baltimore won the Super Bowl, they did it with Trent Dilfer at QB. The Vikes have enough weapon on Offense with the right system and damage control type QB they could average Low 20's for points. I would draft as many secondary and d-line prospects as possible. I would also consider trading the 12 pick for 2 or three additional picks to beef up the numbers. Like the article says rookies are going to be expected to play and contribute so stock up. The only position I would look to upgrade on the Offensive side of the ball is the line and a Damage control type QB. If the D is dominant, keep in mind they played well in the early half of the season against some really good competition, this team can compete and pick up 8-10 wins next year which could be good enough to get into the playoffs. Green Bay proved all you need to do is get into the playoffs and role the dice and see what happens.
Franchisefarts

Houston, TX

#5 Feb 15, 2011
Waste of money.
Mnvike

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Feb 15, 2011
Both greenway and rice are the real deal. It's just that greenway needs to create more turnovers. I don't care how many tackles he gets if he can't get takeaways. That's a reason why he didn't make the probowl. And rice needs to stay healthy. I know it's not really his fault if he gets injured but if he is just going to keep getting injured, we can surely find someone else to replace him.

But I think there is enough talent on this football offensively team to succeed with a
mediocre qb. The only Problem is can the oline create holes every now and then and give whoever is at qb enough time to throw the ball? Brett's play last season was less than mediocre. And the oline was horrendous. If we get someone like ortan, mcnabb, etc., and the oline improves, I have no doubt that we'll at least get a wild card berth.
jeb

United States

#7 Feb 15, 2011
'vp wants to keep both LB chad greenway and WR sidney rice'

DUH...nice non article. let me know when the tags are placed on these guys. im assuming it is gonna be the franchise on greenway and the transitional on sid. would love if these guys got signed to long term deals but with the CBA expiring and a lockout looming the tags are probably the safe route.

“Vikings Rock”

Since: Jun 08

Smallville, SD

#8 Feb 15, 2011
Mnvike wrote:
Both greenway and rice are the real deal. It's just that greenway needs to create more turnovers. I don't care how many tackles he gets if he can't get takeaways. That's a reason why he didn't make the probowl. And rice needs to stay healthy. I know it's not really his fault if he gets injured but if he is just going to keep getting injured, we can surely find someone else to replace him.
But I think there is enough talent on this football offensively team to succeed with a
mediocre qb. The only Problem is can the oline create holes every now and then and give whoever is at qb enough time to throw the ball? Brett's play last season was less than mediocre. And the oline was horrendous. If we get someone like ortan, mcnabb, etc., and the oline improves, I have no doubt that we'll at least get a wild card berth.
Turnovers are usually created by the secondary. Last year our starting LB's had as many as our starting safety's and CB's, that's wrong. I'm looking at tackle production from the LB spot, especially those for loss of yards, than turnovers. If we want to create more turnovers, we need to start by getting an instinctive fast safety to replace M. Williams.
UHhh

New York, NY

#9 Feb 15, 2011
Rookies will be forced into action? This guy is a bozo! He should have been out the door with childress. With the Defense, WRs, Adrian Peterson and Offensive line...they can't win now? Without "forcing" rookies into action? There will be a boatload of free agents to sign and there good players out there...if he means, drafting a qb in the first round, then hes a first grade moron...the vikings can WIN NOW...and better if they want a mother F$*king stadium...
Warren Sapp

Brooksville, FL

#10 Feb 15, 2011
None of these guys will ever be able to fart as loud as I can.

“any questions?”

Since: Jun 10

st.john's, newfoundland

#11 Feb 15, 2011
good thing Klink is gone...he'd put the franchise tag on himself...GO VIKES!!!
Way of the Fist

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Feb 15, 2011
Its not a matter of want we NEED these two players on our team next year and in the future. So unless we get them signed to a contract by that Feb.23rd deadline we have no choice but to Frachise tag Sidney Rice and Transition Tag Chad Greenway.
Jason

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Feb 15, 2011
Mnvike wrote:
If you really think that the pro bowl means anything then you have a lot to learn.
Way of the Fist

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Feb 15, 2011
After that our number one Priority is getting Nnamdi Asomugha to sign with the Minnesota Vikings this offseason

Since: Sep 08

Waynesboro, TN

#15 Feb 15, 2011
Its too bad that someone of Peterson's talent is going to have to waste precious years of a short career on a team that sounds like its in the rebuilding mode.Didn't Allen leave KC to play for a contender?Now Spielman is going to ask rookies to carry the load.Between G.B.,Chicago and Spielman the Vikes are going to have several unpleasant years,which means no support for a new stadium,which means the Vikes are on the short list for LA no matter what the Wilfs say.
ezg357d

Madera, CA

#16 Feb 15, 2011
fishinmusician wrote:
Its too bad that someone of Peterson's talent is going to have to waste precious years of a short career on a team that sounds like its in the rebuilding mode.Didn't Allen leave KC to play for a contender?Now Spielman is going to ask rookies to carry the load.Between G.B.,Chicago and Spielman the Vikes are going to have several unpleasant years,which means no support for a new stadium,which means the Vikes are on the short list for LA no matter what the Wilfs say.
Wishing the Vikes wasn't in the same division I see, keep dreaming How long did it take Chlidress to win back the division. This isnt what the lions team was This is a strong Vikes team ask Vick & The Eagles Go Vikings

Since: Sep 08

Farmington, MN

#17 Feb 16, 2011
ezg357d wrote:
<quoted text>Wishing the Vikes wasn't in the same division I see, keep dreaming How long did it take Chlidress to win back the division. This isnt what the lions team was This is a strong Vikes team ask Vick & The Eagles Go Vikings
remember the last game against the lions??
Joey

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Feb 16, 2011
It doesn't matter, they're leaving, there will NOT be a new public funded stadium for this collection of losers. And speaking of losers you vikes nerd REALLY need to get a life. I mean, unbelievable.
purplehomer

United States

#19 Feb 16, 2011
ezg357d wrote:
<quoted text>Wishing the Vikes wasn't in tLionshe same division I see, keep dreaming How long did it take Chlidress to win back the division. This isnt what the lions team was This is a strong Vikes team ask Vick & The Eagles Go Vikings
Actually the Lions, history and this Viking team are eerily similar. Prior to there ten year
demise the Lions were in the playoffs. Then the next year they went 9-7 Bobby Ross resigned nine games into the season. This Vikings team is old and has drafted poorly the last three years. It's time to start rebuilding, the bigger question is, is AD going to stick around for the rebuilding or will he play out his contract next season and go to some place like Dallas closer to home?
Gen Burkhalter

Malibu, CA

#20 Feb 16, 2011
When the team had 22 returning starters and "could draft for the future". Why didn't they?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chad Greenway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vikings' Linebacker Chad Greenway Expected To A... Jan 2 The Wheeze of Trump 2
News Part One: Prioritizing The Vikings In-House Fre... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Fart news 2
News Detroit Lions Cannot Take Minnesota Vikings Lig... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Fart news 12
News Vikings' DE Everson Griffen insists 'sky is the... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Fart Update 2
News 2015 NFL Draft: Minnesota Vikings' 5 Biggest Ne... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Falsified IPs 22
News Minnesota Vikings Player Power Rankings, Final ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Magnum Man II 1
News Vikings rookie LB Barr making big impression (Oct '14) Oct '14 Spieltard 3
More from around the web