Vikings like size, speed of top draft...

Vikings like size, speed of top draft pick Chris Cook

There are 30 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 30, 2010, titled Vikings like size, speed of top draft pick Chris Cook. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Elite NFL receivers keep getting bigger, and now the Vikings have a cornerback whose size matches up well.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Johnny Utah

Nanuet, NY

#22 May 1, 2010
BTW, what a stupid article. No sh!t they like him...they drafted him with their first pick, however even Cook has to know by now that they obviously liked Kyle Wilson better
Reality Checker

Las Vegas, NV

#23 May 1, 2010
Johnny Utah wrote:
The team didn't draft one safety, but took a project player in Joe Webb who is almost certain not to make the final roster. Genuis.
I'll take that bet any day of the week. I'll guarantee he makes the roster for two simple reasons:

1) They moved Reynaud to RB last month, leaving them one WR short from last year's numbers. Webb if the only WR they drafted, and none of the undrafted FA's figure to beat him out. If they want to keep the same number as last year, he's a virtual lock.

2) Webb is 5 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than Reynaud. Despite that, he's also FASTER as well. A clear upgrade in physical tools. Last, he played some WR in college as a second position, so he's not coming in without any experience at the position.

Go search the web - once the Vikes explained they are moving him to WR, there have been plenty of posts about him from well known sportswriters that are touting his freakish athletic skills and long term potential. They say all he needs to do is learn good route running skills.

Johnny Utah

Nanuet, NY

#24 May 1, 2010
Ok, its a bet...but even if the kid does make the roster (and I'm hoping he does since it would be a wasted draft pick if he didn't -just like Reynaud is soon to be) I don't think he will have any kind of value over Rice, Berrian or Harvin. My main point was that the team decided taking a project player over a proven safety and to me it makes no sense when we are pretty well set at WIDE RECIEVER in the first place, the same can't be said about FS or SS unless you know something I don't?
Reality Checker

Las Vegas, NV

#25 May 1, 2010
Johnny Utah wrote:
Ok, its a bet...but even if the kid does make the roster (and I'm hoping he does since it would be a wasted draft pick if he didn't -just like Reynaud is soon to be) I don't think he will have any kind of value over Rice, Berrian or Harvin. My main point was that the team decided taking a project player over a proven safety and to me it makes no sense when we are pretty well set at WIDE RECIEVER in the first place, the same can't be said about FS or SS unless you know something I don't?
No, I'll agree with you there. I'm not happy about the safety play, but doubtful an upgrade could have been found where Webb was drafted. Once Nate Allen was drafted, it didn't seem like there were any prospects left (going by the mocks, etc.) who showed enough promise to beat out the incumbent starters. That was the one downside of the Gerhart pick trade - no selection in the 3rd round, where the last of the better known players were getting scooped up.

I'll offer this theory -- Williams played well enough in Cincy to become a high paid free agent, and I don't remember anyone saying the Vikes reached when they took Johnson in the second round a couple years ago.(Kiper even raved about him). What are the odds that two previously good safeties struggle once they get to Minnesota? Can't help but wonder if that's something to do with the coaching for the defensive backs, and the Vikes do have a new d-back coach (asst.) starting in 2010. Hopefully they'll be able to bring out the solid play both starters were known for before coming here, especially since both are young players who could be around for a long time if they play well.
Chris Havel

Neenah, WI

#26 May 1, 2010
Why anyone would say Cook is too small is beyond me.

scout.com has this on Cook (no, he wasn't worth passing Clausen for):

Read & React: A step slow reacting to the play if he doesn't see it coming. Keeps his head on a swivel and will sneak a peek at the quarterback. Isn't able to generate the quick burst to close on the ball -- has long legs and only marginal foot quickness. Allows too many easy receptions. Does not possess the second gear to catch up when beaten vertically.

Man Coverage: Good hands for press coverage. Provides a stout initial pop and has the flexibility to turn and run with receivers. Strong, active hands to keep the receiver close throughout the early route. Doesn't have the flexibility and quick feet to mirror receivers, but is faster than he looks and is able to cheat back to the ball.

Zone Coverage: High backpedal, but has a smooth enough swivel to change direction. Good vision and route recognition for zone coverage. Reads the passer to make up for his lack of preferred burst.

Closing/Recovery: Has only marginal burst to make up ground quickly, though he does have at least moderate straight-line speed. Locates the ball and takes proper angles. Quick hands and good hand-eye coordination to knock away passes. Good size, body control and timing to compete for jump balls. Good ball skills. Best when facing the quarterback and some will grade him as a potential safety.

Run Support: Good size and strength to fight through blocks and make tackles in run support, but has to show more consistency. Doesn't use his hands well enough to disengage and prefers to elude blocks. Questionable toughness for the transition to safety.

Tackling: Generally reliable drag-down tackler. Good strength and long arms for the wrap-up stop. Isn't the physical defender his size would indicate. Too often is the nail, rather than the hammer, catching the ballcarrier and hanging on rather than driving through the ballcarrier. Lowers his head, which can lead to missed tackles. Good hustle downfield.

Intangibles: Twice suspended for academics while at Virginia, missing the 2008 Gator Bowl at the end of the 2007 season and the entire 2008 season. Considered leaving early for the NFL draft, but instead returned and emerged as a team leader in 2009. Voted a team captain in '09.

No conclusion here - we'll see.
Fan

Minneapolis, MN

#27 May 1, 2010
What, we can actually talk about the Vikings?
Big D

Seattle, WA

#28 May 1, 2010
reed wrote:
Ryan Perrilloux any info on this guy
...pretty much one of the best high school quarterbacks to ever come out of Louisiana, backed up JaMarcus Russell at LSU, and when Perrillox got chances to get in games, he pretty much dominated. He's actually a really good quarterback, but couldn't stay out of trouble off the field. He got into so much trouble for LSU he was eventually kicked off the team and then transferred to Jacksonville State, where his first year was suspended there also...but then his last year, dominated the conference. I think he became the Conference Player of the Year.
Bullfarts

Houston, TX

#29 May 3, 2010
A real Ryan Leaf

Chilly is a joke
Johnny Utah

Hackensack, NJ

#30 May 3, 2010
Reality Checker, I agree with everything you said.

Although, one of my best friends is a huge Bengals fan, and he said Madieu always sucked. He said he was always out of position...not really sure what the Vikings saw in him to be honest.

Anyways, lets hope they improve this year, because they are all we have basically
Bullfarts

Houston, TX

#31 May 3, 2010
He sucked

That is what they saw in him

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cedric Griffin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Redskins Could Have Been a Very Different Team ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Hqeathen 1
News Redskins lead Seattle 14-0 after 1st quarter (Jan '13) Jan '13 Crazytempest 4
News Minnesota Vikings release Hutchinson, Griffin, ... (Mar '12) Mar '12 ezg357 1
News Vikings Free Agent Update: Cedric Griffin, Erin... (Mar '12) Mar '12 ezg357 2
News Vikings need cornerbacks, and many good ones ar... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Harry 2
News Rebuilding the Vikings: Should Albert Hayneswor... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Hanyesworthless 11
News Lions Trying To Find A Way To Sign Johnson (Feb '12) Feb '12 Laughing Bear Fan 1
More from around the web