Vikings like size, speed of top draft...

Vikings like size, speed of top draft pick Chris Cook

There are 30 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 30, 2010, titled Vikings like size, speed of top draft pick Chris Cook. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Elite NFL receivers keep getting bigger, and now the Vikings have a cornerback whose size matches up well.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“ALL IN AGAIN!!!”

Since: Jun 09

St.John's, Newfoundland

#1 Apr 30, 2010
bet he's not as fast as BERRIAN...BB has the ticket to prove it....GO VIKES!!!!
Reality Checker

Las Vegas, NV

#2 Apr 30, 2010
I love how Vikings fans are reacting to these new draft picks.

I saw one post on another site where Joe Know-It-All guaranteed Cook would be a total failure because he "is too small and too slow" to play in the NFL.

Every year, fans b*tch and moan about some draft picks, while promising Super Bowl victories because of others, and yet they rarely get it right.

I'm taking the wait-and-see approach. All I have to go on now is the excellent results from the past few drafts. For that, I'm pretty excited about the new guys.

“We've been Norv'ed”

Since: Nov 09

Erie

#3 Apr 30, 2010
Agree, Gerhart could be a real asset, though I thought maybe Vikes should have grabbed Best; but anyhow either back WAS a win-win situation. Gerhart will complement AP much better than Best would have but Best would have been a better replacement should something happen to AP. Excited about coming season, O-line had a chance to play for a year and BF has had a year to get to know his recievers, O should be even more explosive-GO VIKES.
KanFan

Wichita, KS

#4 Apr 30, 2010
All things being equal, 6'2" does make a difference when competeing with a receiver over 6'. Combine that with 4.4 speed, this corner should narrow the window a QB gets to throw in to. As Reality Checker said, let's wait and see. I, too, am excited about some of the new players.
FudgePackerKilla

Bangkok, Thailand

#5 Apr 30, 2010
I still think they should move Winfield to safety and let Cook, Shepherd and Griffin compete for starting CB jobs. Our current S situation is a big hole in our defense.
Mark

United States

#6 May 1, 2010
Cook will anchor one corner for the next decade or more. Skol Vikings.
Mike H

Crosslake, MN

#7 May 1, 2010
VikingUpdate.com analyzed what the Vikings draft could have looked like if Spielman had known what the other teams were going to do:

2-34: S Taylor Mays, USC
2-62: G John Jerry, Ole Miss
3-93: CB Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest
4-100: DE Everson Griffen, USC
4-trade up with fifth-rounder: RB Joe McKnight
5-167: RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
6-199: QB Tony Pike, Cincinnati
7-214: TE Mickey Shuler, Penn State
7-237: FB Ryan D’Imperio, Rutgers

Instead the Vikings paniced thinking all of the CBs and RBs would be gone by their second pick. WRONG!
Floyd

United States

#8 May 1, 2010
And the Cook spin continues...
sorb

Minneapolis, MN

#9 May 1, 2010
Reality Checker wrote:
I love how Vikings fans are reacting to these new draft picks.
I saw one post on another site where Joe Know-It-All guaranteed Cook would be a total failure because he "is too small and too slow" to play in the NFL.
Every year, fans b*tch and moan about some draft picks, while promising Super Bowl victories because of others, and yet they rarely get it right.
I'm taking the wait-and-see approach. All I have to go on now is the excellent results from the past few drafts. For that, I'm pretty excited about the new guys.
Couldn't you have just said "I'm pretty excited about the new guys"

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#10 May 1, 2010
the vikings have a very good team, burdened by an inept coach
CT Viking Fan

New Milford, CT

#11 May 1, 2010
Mike H wrote:
VikingUpdate.com analyzed what the Vikings draft could have looked like if Spielman had known what the other teams were going to do:
2-34: S Taylor Mays, USC
2-62: G John Jerry, Ole Miss
3-93: CB Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest
4-100: DE Everson Griffen, USC
4-trade up with fifth-rounder: RB Joe McKnight
5-167: RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
6-199: QB Tony Pike, Cincinnati
7-214: TE Mickey Shuler, Penn State
7-237: FB Ryan D’Imperio, Rutgers
Instead the Vikings paniced thinking all of the CBs and RBs would be gone by their second pick. WRONG!
Sorry Mike, I don't buy the logic. The Vikings were on the phone with Kyle Wilson moments before the Jets picked him. It is clear the Vikings were patient and waited for their player. Wilson had no idea the Jets were going to take him. The Jets proved how easily another team can wreck your plans. It also looked like the Vikings were going into day 2 making sure they were going to get Cook and Gerhart. Remember, they passed up other CB's and RB's to get these players. That would appear to be more plan than panic. Now, I won't argue whether or not the plan was correct. I thought we would have picked differently too.
reed

Duluth, MN

#12 May 1, 2010
Ryan Perrilloux any info on this guy
Reality Checker

Las Vegas, NV

#13 May 1, 2010
sorb wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't you have just said "I'm pretty excited about the new guys"
Couldn't you just K*$s my a$$?
Mike H

Crosslake, MN

#15 May 1, 2010
@CT Viking.

If Kyle Wilson had fallen to them or they had just taken Patrick Robinson when they could have, they would not have paniced and reached for Chris Cook. The Vikings also paniced by giving up a 3 to move up in 2 for Gerhart when they thought the Houston Texans would take him. But there were still high rated power backs on the board in 5, perhaps even Gerhart would have been (especially since Houston did not even take a power RB afterall). If you look at Mel Kiper's analysis on this web site you will see he says much the same.

The Vikings lost both a safety and a high rated offensive lineman because they were too anxious to get a CB and power RB.
CT Viking Fan

New Milford, CT

#16 May 1, 2010
Mike H wrote:
@CT Viking.
If Kyle Wilson had fallen to them or they had just taken Patrick Robinson when they could have, they would not have paniced and reached for Chris Cook. The Vikings also paniced by giving up a 3 to move up in 2 for Gerhart when they thought the Houston Texans would take him. But there were still high rated power backs on the board in 5, perhaps even Gerhart would have been (especially since Houston did not even take a power RB afterall). If you look at Mel Kiper's analysis on this web site you will see he says much the same.
The Vikings lost both a safety and a high rated offensive lineman because they were too anxious to get a CB and power RB.
Mike, I'm not necessarily disagreeing over the choices they had. I just don't think it was panic-driven. We knew before the draft that the Vikings had a big interest in Cook; that leaked at the combine. We also know after the draft that Bienemy wanted Gerhart very badly. Again, I don't think it was panic. I think the plan was just plain poor. We might disagree on the cause, but the end result is the same.
Reality Checker

Las Vegas, NV

#17 May 1, 2010
Mike H wrote:
If you look at Mel Kiper's analysis on this web site you will see he says much the same.
Mel Kiper gave the Vikings a C grade last year for a draft that produced Rokie of the Year Harvin, instant starter Loadholt, and 3 quality backups that all played well in relief of injured players.

In 2008, he raved about the selections of Tyrell Johnson and JD Booty, but ripped on the guys who have actually proven to be the better picks.

Kiper sucks.
CT Viking Fan

New Milford, CT

#18 May 1, 2010
Reality Checker wrote:
<quoted text>
Mel Kiper gave the Vikings a C grade last year for a draft that produced Rokie of the Year Harvin, instant starter Loadholt, and 3 quality backups that all played well in relief of injured players.
In 2008, he raved about the selections of Tyrell Johnson and JD Booty, but ripped on the guys who have actually proven to be the better picks.
Kiper sucks.
RC, I don't care for Kiper either so I don't read him much. I didn't like the Viking's draft as much this year as I did the past few. As noted, I'm still p1$$ed Wilson got away so I have some bias. I like Cook and Gerhart, just not the price of the picks. The rest of the picks are uphill battles like we'd expect. The future will tell us how it really went. I think we are still a very good team that added some new dimension and depth.

“We've been Norv'ed”

Since: Nov 09

Erie

#19 May 1, 2010
reed wrote:
Ryan Perrilloux any info on this guy
See the other threads!!!!!!!!!!
BD Gopherfan

Mankato, MN

#20 May 1, 2010
Mel Kiper has been BSING on the EVERTHING SENSATIONALIZED PN for a lot of years.Got to give him lots of credit for coming up with something we'd all have probably enjoed making money at.With that being said I'm pretty sure none of the NFl teams are calling for his opinion.The reality of the draft is,if these players contribute it's sucessful.If they don't it's not.
Johnny Utah

Nanuet, NY

#21 May 1, 2010
They can put cook wherever they like, but until we rectify the safety position or there lack of...teams will continuely be able to move the ball through the air against us. The team didn't draft one safety, but took a project player in Joe Webb who is almost certain not to make the final roster. Genuis.

The fans/experts give Speilman & company too much credit for past draft success, by taking players who basically fell in our laps.(See Peterson & Harvin) I think everybody knew they should have went higher than 7 and 21, but Harvin smoked a bowl at the combine and Peterson broke his collarbone flipping into the endzone (being a hero). For those reasons alone, the vikings have been successful. This year's draft didn't do much to make our team immediately better. Which is what Favre and company need. Our window is closing, if not closed already.

Jerry Hughes or Taylor Mays would have added more "instant" value than Cook IMHO -but not necessarily more long term

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cedric Griffin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Redskins Could Have Been a Very Different Team ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Hqeathen 1
News Redskins lead Seattle 14-0 after 1st quarter (Jan '13) Jan '13 Crazytempest 4
News Minnesota Vikings release Hutchinson, Griffin, ... (Mar '12) Mar '12 ezg357 1
News Vikings Free Agent Update: Cedric Griffin, Erin... (Mar '12) Mar '12 ezg357 2
News Vikings need cornerbacks, and many good ones ar... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Harry 2
News Rebuilding the Vikings: Should Albert Hayneswor... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Hanyesworthless 11
News Lions Trying To Find A Way To Sign Johnson (Feb '12) Feb '12 Laughing Bear Fan 1
More from around the web