Bears' best bet: Cut Forte loose

Bears' best bet: Cut Forte loose

There are 15 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 18, 2008, titled Bears' best bet: Cut Forte loose. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

But the Bear who is most equipped to make it a frustrating day for Peterson doesn't play defense.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Philo

Palmetto, FL

#1 Oct 18, 2008
What I like best about Forte is even though right now his YPC isn't near what we want it to be, it's not because he goes down on the first touch.

Of course, neither does our AP go down on the first touch.

The kid looks tough, and if he can get some lead blocking, like Turner learning that a two TE set could mean extra blockers instead of just a diversionary WR, then Forte could tear up the NFL.
1bearsfan

Belen, NM

#2 Oct 18, 2008
Philo wrote:
What I like best about Forte is even though right now his YPC isn't near what we want it to be, it's not because he goes down on the first touch.
Of course, neither does our AP go down on the first touch.
The kid looks tough, and if he can get some lead blocking, like Turner learning that a two TE set could mean extra blockers instead of just a diversionary WR, then Forte could tear up the NFL.
Philo:Nice post,I totally agree with you.Forte is a good kid & a model citizen as well.I dont think Turner has used him as well as he could on the ground though.Although I am happy to see Turner use him so much as a receiver.He has great hands,vision & finds the holes.He is very good at getting the tough yards when we need them.The way teams are targeting him is a sign of respect as well.Take Care. God Bless! BEAR DOWN! GO BEARS!

Since: Jun 08

Cicero, Il.

#3 Oct 18, 2008
Forte has looked great so far. I just hope da Bears don't run him into the ground. It's tough for a rookie to get 25 touches per game. He's not quite another Walter yet. GO BEARS!
Bauer

Goshen, IN

#4 Oct 18, 2008
Hopefully some of the mojo from the Illini tonight will carry over to the Bears tomorrow when they wear their orange jerseys.

BEAR DOWN, CHICAGO BEARS!
RHURLEY49

Bismarck, ND

#5 Oct 18, 2008
The reason Forte's yardage has went down is because other teams DO NOT respect Ortons down field throws. Yea, I know he had an impressive last drive against a prevent defense but what did he do prior to that in the Atlanta game. Wait a minute, what about the Detroit game? Well Orton did well there also, but he did less than other QB's did against the toothless lions. If he ever learns how to throw more than 5/10 yards other defenses might respect him. Until then, Forte's numbers will continue to fall. The truth is what it is.
Minneapolis Maestro

Chicago, IL

#6 Oct 18, 2008
Try and run against the Vikes, please. Forte will have less than 70 yards all day.
Bearfanforlife

AOL

#7 Oct 19, 2008
Mr. Haugh, I ask you when was the last time you saw The Center or the right guard BLOW anyone off the ball??? Garcia and Kreutz are "Marginal" run blocker at best.
SERIOUSLY...Watch those 2- after a play, they are either 2-yards in the backfield(BLOWN-UP) by a d-tackle.
OR GETTING up off the ground after every play.
It's gonna be tough sledding for Forte later this afternoon. Kreutz and Garcia will not move the 2- Williams fellas. Forte will be pretty much on his own.
Victor

New Orleans, LA

#8 Oct 19, 2008
You forgot to mention since the Colts game opposing teams have been stacking their defensive line against the run and keying on Forte thus opening up the passing lanes for Orton. You also forgot to mention Forte's catching abilities out of the backfield leading the team in catches.
Stratmaster

Germantown, TN

#9 Oct 19, 2008
Has everyone gone crazy? The Bears scored 20 points against Atlanta. Only K.C. scored less points aganst them this year. And it took a last second TD for us to even score more than KC did. The Lions scored more against them than us.

Then I readthe articles and we have a RB that should be "2nd only to Payton" and a QB who is (paraphrased) "progressing so fast the head coach is having to change his mantra". There must be games being played in a parallel universe that I am not seeing. Our offense has been PITIFUL.

One decent game against a doormat and suddenly they are explosive? We have a better than average RB who if we are lucky will develop into a "very good" RB. I love his abilities in the pass game but his YPC stinks (especially if you back out the one early run in the first game before defenses realized he could play). We have an average QB.

Since: Oct 08

Dane, WI

#10 Oct 19, 2008
maybe the'll let Orton loose on the vikings! like throw the ball all over the field, let the defense loose also to start hurting people for the money there paid its time to be the MONSTERS OF THE MIDWAY AGAIN and not the quiet type, AND LOVIE PAY ATTENTION these are the Chicago Bears, and maybe get away from the cover 2 its been around long enough
new trier alum 03

Chicago, IL

#11 Oct 19, 2008
getting ready to head over to Soldier for da game. Bear DOWN! Plan on standing the entire game so if any wants me to sit down be prepared to get put into place
Micro

Bradenton, FL

#12 Oct 19, 2008
RHURLEY49 wrote:
The reason Forte's yardage has went down is because other teams DO NOT respect Ortons down field throws. Yea, I know he had an impressive last drive against a prevent defense but what did he do prior to that in the Atlanta game. Wait a minute, what about the Detroit game? Well Orton did well there also, but he did less than other QB's did against the toothless lions. If he ever learns how to throw more than 5/10 yards other defenses might respect him. Until then, Forte's numbers will continue to fall. The truth is what it is.
Yes, but if Orton actually tried to connect on some longer passes he might get intercepted. And what's more important, our team becoming a REAL OFFENSE like we had in 06 by connecting down field or Orton not subjecting himself to criticism by throwing a pick or two?

We use to have a quarterback who wasn't afraid to fail by trying to score lots of points in exciting bunches. With that guy, we were among the leaders in points scored, blew many teams out early, went 13-3, won two play-off games and actually got back to a Super Bowl. Now, we just blame our defense when we only score 20 points and lose. Last week, we lose to 11 other teams by scoring only 20 points.

But like you say, the truth is what it is.
tolmapp

Sainte Genevieve, MO

#13 Oct 19, 2008
Best Bets!
My friend Land Barony sez

KC+, BUFF+, BALT +, STLOU+,SANFRAN+, OAK+, GREENbAY +

1050AM CENTRAL
1bearsfan

Belen, NM

#14 Oct 19, 2008
Bears 24 Vikings 10! Go Bears,time to get ready for Da Bears Game! Good luck,Bear Down.God Bless! GO BEARS,YOUR TRUE FANS WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT YOU!!
Rich

Chicago, IL

#15 Oct 19, 2008
This article is a joke...
Fortes 3.0 Ypc a game is amazingly better than when Benson did it?
Forte was a great pick but wont ever be a superstar. He might not even hit 1,000 this season with each week declining from week 1,which would be a failure for all the .action he is seeing

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cedric Benson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Law Requires Breathalyzers On Cars Of Illin... (Jun '08) Jun '13 Bill W 33
News Green Bay Packers: Eddie Lacy says 'I'm going t... (May '13) May '13 GBPfan 48
News Packers running backs have got to be looking ov... (Apr '13) May '13 Mister Pack 5
News Green Bay Packers 2013 Mock Draft: Looking at P... (Apr '13) Apr '13 eric 3
News Would Rashard Mendenhall be a Good Fit For The ... (Jan '13) Jan '13 eric 3
News Packers ponder lead-back options (Jan '13) Jan '13 Laughing Bear Fan 7
News The top 10 Packers storylines of 2012 (Jan '13) Jan '13 GBPmies 2
More from around the web