Will Ryan have enough firepower with ...

Will Ryan have enough firepower with Jets?

There are 34 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 19, 2009, titled Will Ryan have enough firepower with Jets?. In it, Newsday reports that:

PITTSBURGH Jets fans usually are on the outside looking in at this stage of the playoffs, but at least there was something to keep their attention in last night's Ravens - Steelers AFC Championship Game.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tony-got a problem

Gettysburg, PA

#21 Jan 19, 2009
I agree Schott should def be gone, we should upgrade Callahan to direct this offense. Bob Sutton did a good job this year, he wasn't the 11 players on defense that ran out of gas at the end. As for the QB situation, Seeee ya later Favre. Trade a 3rd rounder and get D. Anderson from the Browns and have him compete with Clemens. 1st round pick- James Laurinaitis, LB
glaubernonfan

Grand Rapids, MI

#22 Jan 19, 2009
Wow you begged for Mangini to get fired, wished for spags to ge the job, then jumped on Rex at the end only to pour water on his selection. How are we to take you seriousl Bob?
kelley

AOL

#23 Jan 19, 2009
Tony-got a problem wrote:
I agree Schott should def be gone, we should upgrade Callahan to direct this offense. Bob Sutton did a good job this year, he wasn't the 11 players on defense that ran out of gas at the end. As for the QB situation, Seeee ya later Favre. Trade a 3rd rounder and get D. Anderson from the Browns and have him compete with Clemens. 1st round pick- James Laurinaitis, LB
you are never going to get anderson, he is the back up quarterback for Quinn. we are going to
play clemens, this his last year of his contact
and like it or not, we see if he has anything.
rcoolc

Easley, SC

#24 Jan 19, 2009
JET REX!
TnJetsFan

Johnson City, TN

#25 Jan 19, 2009
I too wish Rex Ryan the best. We need him to be a great coach and motivator - not just the "next big thing" - all style and no substance. I don't think it will be that way because of his no nonsence attitude. I think Ryan will weed out the 'pretenders' on this team, who fake trying hard (very poorly) and will get guys who fly to the ball and play with passion.
Jim

AOL

#26 Jan 19, 2009
Rich Kotite wrote:
Doesn't matter who coaches or plays for this sorry franchise. They'll always find a way to **** defeat from the jaws of victory.
40 years of futility and poor ownership and management.
Pretty much sums up the sentiments of many Jets fans including me!
TnJetsFan

Johnson City, TN

#27 Jan 19, 2009
Several fans have mentioned Brett Favre and they are correct. He should not come back and if he does it should NOT be in NY, unless the Giants want him. Also, I hope that Ryan was NOT burdened by having to keep Shottenheimer, because he was a BIG part of the problem at the end of the season. No faith in his players - constantly calling for pass plays from empty backfields on third-and-one or two. That's bull and it eventually trickles down into the players' mentality and affects their confidence. No, Shotty must go also.
kelley

AOL

#28 Jan 19, 2009
TnJetsFan wrote:
I too wish Rex Ryan the best. We need him to be a great coach and motivator - not just the "next big thing" - all style and no substance. I don't think it will be that way because of his no nonsence attitude. I think Ryan will weed out the 'pretenders' on this team, who fake trying hard (very poorly) and will get guys who fly to the ball and play with passion.
you want to talk pretenders on the jets, thats
50% of the team. goodluck coach ryan you are
going to need it. with the fairweather fans
that will try to run you out of town in 2 years.
wvw

Westfield, MA

#29 Jan 19, 2009
of course any coach needs players that are good enough to make him look good. just think of joe torre and the yankees...he was never any good as a manager before he wound up with the yankees. but, a good football coach can make his team a better team because of what he has to offer. so, give ryan some time before you pass judgement...hemay be just the coach you were hoping for ..for all these past years...you never know!
GHT

Gresham, OR

#30 Jan 19, 2009
If you're lucky, Rex will hire Brian Billick as your highly offensive coordinator LOL
Wait a minute

Louisville, KY

#31 Jan 19, 2009
Well how about Ray Lewis? He is a free agent now. If I'm Rex I'm talking to the front office and making a legitimate push to get Lewis. He is only 33 but still has the fire and toughness of a 26 year old. His fire and demand for accountability from the other players is what has always made the Ravens a top defense, and the type of leader the Jets defense has always needed and never had. It would also make Ryans 1st year a lot easier because he would have a player of Lewis caliber on the D. It's like having an extra coach.
I think kit will be 'extremely' hard for any team to pull Lewis away from the Ravens, but with Ryan now the Jets head coach, and their relationship, the Jets have as good a shot as anyone.
kelley

AOL

#32 Jan 19, 2009
wvw wrote:
of course any coach needs players that are good enough to make him look good. just think of joe torre and the yankees...he was never any good as a manager before he wound up with the yankees. but, a good football coach can make his team a better team because of what he has to offer. so, give ryan some time before you pass judgement...hemay be just the coach you were hoping for ..for all these past years...you never know!
It will take ryan 3 years to build up the jets.
thats my opinion. we don;t have any good wrs
we don't have a good defense. we don't even have
a quarterback. we have overpaid players that do
not care if they win, all they want is the paycheck. ryan will be run out of town in 2 to
4 years mark my words,. and we will be looking
for a new coach.

Since: Feb 08

New Port Richey, FL

#33 Jan 19, 2009
Good choice in Rex. Good pedigree, and a successful coordinator, unlike Mangini who was mediocre in NE with only year experience as the Def Coordinator before bailing on Belichek. Jets have the bodies, now they need the inspiration and right game plan. Mid-game adjustments, correct game plans from the start, and emotion from our head coach.
richieb pennsylvania

Mantua, NJ

#34 Jan 19, 2009
well best of luck ryan !!! things will take time, but I hope he does well and the players and he need to be on the same page !!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calvin Pace Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jets CB Revis 'unlikely' to play vs. Giants (Dec '15) Dec '15 Fart news 2
News Calvin Pace: Jets have 'the best' defense in th... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Belichick 2
News NFL free agency: Jets re-sign LB Calvin Pace to... (Mar '14) Mar '14 He Hate Me 2
News New York Jets - Where Are Additions Needed? (May '13) May '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News New York Jets' 2013 Mock Draft: Building the Pe... (Mar '13) Mar '13 George 1
News Pass Rusher Ricky Sapp Could Be a Secret Weapon... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Jetssuck 2
News Where Do the New York Jets Stand in the AFC Eas... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Laughing Bear Fan 3
More from around the web