Reassessing the AFC East after Tom Br...

Reassessing the AFC East after Tom Brady's injury

There are 48 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Sep 9, 2008, titled Reassessing the AFC East after Tom Brady's injury. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Since the start of the 2001 season, Tom Brady has won 87 games as a starting quarterback.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
oops

Miami, FL

#43 Sep 10, 2008
Dana wrote:
Miami will be second behind N.E. this year. Win the East next!!!!
Are you smoking the same stuff ricky williams is?
joseph

Pendergrass, GA

#44 Sep 10, 2008
Gatoralum wrote:
It is fairly obvious it is now the Phins for the taking
Thats right..Fins take the division,,,gain home field through the playoffs and win the super bowl...Yeah..Go FINS!!!!!!
Armchair Analyst

United States

#45 Sep 13, 2008
I said in preseason, watch out for the Bills. Few believed it. I think they have a legit. shot at the division if they stay healthy. I see the revamped Jets and Brady-less Pats as being pretty equal. I don't think the Pats will be gangbusters, obviously, but I do believe they'll redesign the game plan a bit to take advantage of shorter passing routes involving more of Welker. The Phins are clearly still at the bottom, and the injury to Thomas sure doesn't help.

My prediction in the division:

1. Bills (11-5)

2. Patriots (10-6)

3. Jets (9-7)

4. Dolphins (5-11)
Armchair Analyst

United States

#46 Sep 13, 2008
BravPhin wrote:
A PATS fan glorying in beating up on a 1-15 team? that even the Lake Worth Trojans could have beat? Such CLASS! Takes after Belecheat! What a class act Belecheat is! Has peopel use film to SPY on teams, RUNS up scores on WEAK teams, LOST the superbowl for trying to RUN UP THE SCORE. Yes, BELECHEAT wanted to go for it on a 4th and 4 in field gaol terrotoy, with a HEALTHY Kicker, because he was wanting to EMBARRAS the Giants. HE would have WON the game had he kicked a field gaol there, but WINNI NG wasnt all he wanted, as evidenced by his reactions to the loss!.
Maybe some fins fans are jeaklous of the pats record, but certainly not jealous of the PATRIOTS themselves. WE dotn want to be a bunch of classless, Cheating, sore losers.
I hate it for Tom Brady as a person, but can you say KHARMA???????
PAts may still win a few games, but they wont be runnning up the score on ANYONE this year! LOL, Every team will be IN the games they play against tha PATS, DOLPHINS included.
Good post. The Pats are going down (It remains to be seen how well Brady will come back from that injury. I know these surgeries have progressed since the old days, but even so, it's never easy, and at Brady's age you just wonder. He's not real old, he'll be 32 when he comes back, but healing-wise, it's not the same as 22) but I don't think they're going to crash and burn. They'll still win their share of games, just not in glamourous fashion.

I just think the Bills have been quietly building, flying under the radar and will sneak up on some people. A lot of good, young talent there (Crowell being out will hurt them at LB, but his backup, Keith Ellison, has some experience and is still pretty solid). Last year, they were decimated by injuries.(I'll be picking them to beat the Jags on the road this week. Suddenly, the Jags are really banged up and looking mortal to say the least.)
Armchair Analyst

United States

#47 Sep 13, 2008
BravPhin:

You're definitely right, though, that the Pats won't be running up the score on ANYONE this year. I think their wins will be the ugly variety ... as was the case against a bad KC team on Sunday. They'll play a lot of close games this year that'll be decided by 7 pts or less.

On another note, what did you think of the decision not to try to power it in from the 2 yd line last week? Personally, I didn't like it. I'd also like to see more of Ricky and Ronnie being used to catch passes coming out of the backfield. The bottom line on it, though, is there's really just no substitute for a bonafide downfield threat, and I think it's pretty clear we don't have one. It'll be struggle all year, I'm afraid.

I'm not writing Ginn off, that's for sure. But if the present pattern continues and it turns out he's not a legit. receiving threat, then I'll have to agree he was a reach at #9 in the first rd, because that's a pretty high position to be drafting a kick/punt returner.

Since: Jun 07

Gainesville, GA

#48 Sep 13, 2008
Armchair Analyst wrote:
BravPhin:
You're definitely right, though, that the Pats won't be running up the score on ANYONE this year. I think their wins will be the ugly variety ... as was the case against a bad KC team on Sunday. They'll play a lot of close games this year that'll be decided by 7 pts or less.
On another note, what did you think of the decision not to try to power it in from the 2 yd line last week? Personally, I didn't like it. I'd also like to see more of Ricky and Ronnie being used to catch passes coming out of the backfield. The bottom line on it, though, is there's really just no substitute for a bonafide downfield threat, and I think it's pretty clear we don't have one. It'll be struggle all year, I'm afraid.
I'm not writing Ginn off, that's for sure. But if the present pattern continues and it turns out he's not a legit. receiving threat, then I'll have to agree he was a reach at #9 in the first rd, because that's a pretty high position to be drafting a kick/punt returner.
I mainly agree that not using Ricky or Ronnie on those goal line situations was a mistake. I would have liked to see either a run, or a play action off the run on 1st or 2nd down. Those are the downs that a play action would work the best. The JETS were expecting them to run. But they took the back out of the backfield on 1 pass attempt, so there was no chance of deception there. I think when we have a tea, as lacking in WR talent as we have, as much deception that they can use in their offensive schemes will help them in the passing game! They used Play action a lot to get to the red zone, then abandon it when they got there. I didn't understand that.
I agree, Ginn isn't a #1 guy. Maybe he was a reach at #9. I hope someday he can prove us wrong, and I haven't given up on him, but,it is clear they need better at WR. He could do better at punt returns as well, he seems to be timid at times. He doesn't put himself in the best positions when the ball is in the air, either too far back, or too far forward. I think he would be the best if he could catch the ball on the run. Meaning Run up to the spot where the ball would drop, and catch it while in stride!
For your post prior to this one, the bills look good! They were 8-8 ? last year with a lot of injuries, and they improved over the off season Marcus Stroud will help them stop the run. With the loss of Brady, the pats will run the ball more, and Maroney can run the ball good enough for them to get some wins.
Bruce

Pompano Beach, FL

#49 Sep 13, 2008
Armchair Analyst wrote:
BravPhin:
Pats still win the division and Fins still finish last. Jake Long and the entire OL continue to underperform expectations. Long,Ginn, and JA are all proving poor 1st rd picks.
Armchair Analyst

United States

#50 Sep 13, 2008
Bruce wrote:
<quoted text> Pats still win the division and Fins still finish last. Jake Long and the entire OL continue to underperform expectations. Long,Ginn, and JA are all proving poor 1st rd picks.
If you're a good enough talent evaluator to conclude that Long is "proving a poor 1st rd pick" after a WHOLE 60 MINUTES of reg. season action, you ought to be in an NFL front office somewhere. The other option is that you're a little cocky. Which should I choose?

As for your certainty that the Pats will win the division w/o Brady, remember the old saying, "Boast not when you put your armor on. Boast when your take it off." Time will tell. I'll stick with my prediction a few posts ago until proven wrong.

P. S. If you've read any of my posts over the last 6 months, you'd know I never claimed the Dolphins would be anything other than last in the division this yr, so you're not really telling me anything I didn't already know or expect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calvin Pace Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Calvin Pace: Jets have 'the best' defense in th... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Belichick 2
News NFL free agency: Jets re-sign LB Calvin Pace to... (Mar '14) Mar '14 He Hate Me 2
News New York Jets - Where Are Additions Needed? (May '13) May '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News New York Jets' 2013 Mock Draft: Building the Pe... (Mar '13) Mar '13 George 1
News Pass Rusher Ricky Sapp Could Be a Secret Weapon... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Jetssuck 2
News Where Do the New York Jets Stand in the AFC Eas... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News For Ryan, the Field Is Half-Empty (Mar '13) Mar '13 Johnson Rex Sex C... 2
More from around the web