Should the Pittsburgh Steelers Trade Willie Parker?

May 4, 2009 Full story: Bleacher Report 40

It is to no Pittsburgh Steelers fan that Willie Parker has his share of injuries.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Since: Feb 08

Butler, PA

#21 May 7, 2009
LZ-Steel wrote:
<quoted text>
Ding ding...we have a winner. Excellent analysis. Pretty simple when you think about it. Amazing we've gone through 2 years of needless QB abuse because our OC can't realize it...or refuses to acknowledge it.
I don't mind the spread offense either but It needs to be a change of pace kind of thing you go to to throw the D off balance. You hit in them in the mouth for a few series and the come out and go no huddle on them. We have the firepower with ward holmes miller moore and sweed(?)...let's use those guys in an unpredictable way.

Since: Apr 08

Omaha, NE

#22 May 8, 2009
Bob Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't mind the spread offense either but It needs to be a change of pace kind of thing you go to to throw the D off balance. You hit in them in the mouth for a few series and the come out and go no huddle on them. We have the firepower with ward holmes miller moore and sweed(?)...let's use those guys in an unpredictable way.
Right. We have the weapons. No need to be a power running team or a spread offense. If we have the tools to be a diverse offensive team, lets keep the defense on their toes. We have Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Baker, McDonald, Wallace and Nance as WRs (Sweed, Baker, and Nance would have been pushed into a starter role by now on any other team). We've got Parker, Mendenhall, MeMo, Davis, and Summers as RBs. Miller, Spaeth, McHugh, Johnson at TE. For the love of all black and gold...we're loaded...now lets use it! No more excuses.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Butler, PA

#23 May 8, 2009
LZ-Steel wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. We have the weapons. No need to be a power running team or a spread offense. If we have the tools to be a diverse offensive team, lets keep the defense on their toes. We have Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Baker, McDonald, Wallace and Nance as WRs (Sweed, Baker, and Nance would have been pushed into a starter role by now on any other team). We've got Parker, Mendenhall, MeMo, Davis, and Summers as RBs. Miller, Spaeth, McHugh, Johnson at TE. For the love of all black and gold...we're loaded...now lets use it! No more excuses.
I totally agree LZ, all these weapons and a cross eyed epileptic pulling the trigger! I hope arians gets creative! This team is uniquely positioned to be any kind of offense it needs to be. They can look at the opposing teams D and totally play to their weaknesses. If they are stout against the run we can spread them out. if they are weak up front we pound them into the turf. Additionally they are going to be very difficult to game plan against. What does the opposing D practice? Do they come in worried about all our WRs and our franchise QB? they sure as hell better worry! But if they drop too many back then we pound them with our running game. and don't forget that we get our punter back!!!! with the best D in the game right now this translates to winning the field position battle and some short fields for our O. Shoot, now I'm getting all fired up again!! It's still May, the draft seemed like it was months ago. clearly we're in the middle of a football dead zone right now. lol.

“Obama lied and freedom died!”

Since: Sep 07

Warren, Ohio

#24 May 8, 2009
Bob Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
last season was a tough one for parker. I hope he cans stay healthy. I think he will be the second guy by the end of the season. If he has lost his speed he's just an undersized RB. the league is full of them.
Moore is the 3rd down back because he can run routes and catch the ball. the tank will no doubt be the short yardage guy. mendenhall is poised to be the starter. for now it will be FWP but let's see how it plays out. I see this as a transition year for the steelers running game.
He's had a pretty good run with 5 seasons, consider that he only played in 8 games his rookie year, he's at
1,155 attempts 4,989 yds 4.3 avg.
not bad for an undrafted rookie!
I was thinking the same thing during the season last yr. I'm not a FWP basher, I just don't think he is big enough or durable enough to be a feature back. Not for a run team like the Steelers.

Monroe, LA

#25 May 8, 2009
Bob Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
all these weapons and a cross eyed epileptic pulling the trigger!
Now that, Bob, was friggin HILARIOUS! LMAO

“Steelers Forever”

Since: Dec 07

Cranberry Township PA

#26 May 8, 2009
Bob Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree LZ, all these weapons and a cross eyed epileptic pulling the trigger! I hope arians gets creative! This team is uniquely positioned to be any kind of offense it needs to be. They can look at the opposing teams D and totally play to their weaknesses. If they are stout against the run we can spread them out. if they are weak up front we pound them into the turf. Additionally they are going to be very difficult to game plan against. What does the opposing D practice? Do they come in worried about all our WRs and our franchise QB? they sure as hell better worry! But if they drop too many back then we pound them with our running game. and don't forget that we get our punter back!!!! with the best D in the game right now this translates to winning the field position battle and some short fields for our O. Shoot, now I'm getting all fired up again!! It's still May, the draft seemed like it was months ago. clearly we're in the middle of a football dead zone right now. lol.
This past week I watched the '78 & '79 Steeler teams on NFLN. Man! Talk about weapons & a balanced team. I had not forgotten anything about those teams, but watching them destroy on both the O & D made me tingle all over. BA has been stockpiling more weapons since he has become O coordinator. Lets hope this year he locks on target this season. It goes without saying that the Mighty Pittsburgh Steelers are once again poised to be GREAT!

STEELERS ROCk !!!

“Harvin ROY 2009”

Since: Apr 09

Franklin, WI

#27 May 8, 2009
PIT is a great team. Winning the Super Bowl says that for itself.

But if you think PIT could convert to a spread offense with the recievers they have in place, you are sorely mistaken.

Also, their offensive line still has holes. Reguardless of what wise cracks Ben Roethlisberger makes about it. It is an area of weakness on a very good Steeler team.

Omaha, NE

#28 May 9, 2009
Regardless of what kind of offense we run. We have the option of being diverse. Spread O? Probably not. But we have a pool of WRs, TEs, Rbs, and that one special QB to make our offense something new. But with this next season, and the supposedly easy schedule we have, I can see us getting back to the SB. This is, of course, supposing that Tomlin can keep his troops motivated. He has had no problem doing it last year against very good opponents. I think he'll keep them locked down, one game at a time, like last year...and we have a shot again. Brady or not...when Brady played us last time...he wasn't playing the best defense in the league.

The Giants, I think, have the 3rd rated pass rush behind Baltimore and us. And they whooped the shit outta Brady in the SB 2 years ago. Now, the Steelers have the best pass rush in the entire league...and if Brady thinks he's gonna come out and throw 350+ yards against us in the playoffs next year...he'd better keep dreaming. steelergirl36 brought to my attention that perhaps we only got to the playoffs because of our tough schedule. That's not the case. We got there because Tomlin kept the team in check and focused on the next game. Plenty of time to think after the season is done. Playoff bound again...god, i love being a Steeler fan.

“Steelers Forever”

Cranberry Township PA

#29 May 9, 2009
LZ-Steel wrote:
Regardless of what kind of offense we run. We have the option of being diverse. Spread O? Probably not. But we have a pool of WRs, TEs, Rbs, and that one special QB to make our offense something new. But with this next season, and the supposedly easy schedule we have, I can see us getting back to the SB. This is, of course, supposing that Tomlin can keep his troops motivated. He has had no problem doing it last year against very good opponents. I think he'll keep them locked down, one game at a time, like last year...and we have a shot again. Brady or not...when Brady played us last time...he wasn't playing the best defense in the league.
The Giants, I think, have the 3rd rated pass rush behind Baltimore and us. And they whooped the shit outta Brady in the SB 2 years ago. Now, the Steelers have the best pass rush in the entire league...and if Brady thinks he's gonna come out and throw 350+ yards against us in the playoffs next year...he'd better keep dreaming. steelergirl36 brought to my attention that perhaps we only got to the playoffs because of our tough schedule. That's not the case. We got there because Tomlin kept the team in check and focused on the next game. Plenty of time to think after the season is done. Playoff bound again...god, i love being a Steeler fan.
I'm certainly with you on that LZ! Love those Steelers!

STEELERS ROCK !!!

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Butler, PA

#30 May 11, 2009
another thing many pats fans forget is that when hop a long brady last played the steelers troy was out and so was clark. additionally aaron smith had an injured bicep and then tore it the rest of the way in the game...I believe last seasons meeting is more of an indication of what we would see if hopalong can guide his team to the post season. frankly I don't think he will. QBs are never the same after getting their ACL torn and he's leading a team heavy with metamucil sippin vets. lol. their the only team in the league that has colostomy bag pouches built into their uniform pants.

“Steelers Forever”

Cranberry Township PA

#31 May 12, 2009
The Steelers are under the radar once again. Let the Patsies be the #1 target. I love it!

STEELERS ROCK !!!

Omaha, NE

#32 May 12, 2009
Will repeat until necessarily accepted. Parker is our primary back. :p Mendy and Memo are situational rushers. God I hope the Tank can cure our short yardage problem.
NY real talk

New York, NY

#33 May 29, 2009
I don't think the should trade Parker. I think the should just continue growing as an excellent team. The Pitt, Steelers are great. They would just be taking away from the beauty of the TEAM.... Keep #39 !!!
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#34 Jun 1, 2009
LZ-Steel wrote:
Will repeat until necessarily accepted. Parker is our primary back.:p Mendy and Memo are situational rushers. God I hope the Tank can cure our short yardage problem.
If Parker is our primary back, then we will continue to be as weak a rushing team as we were last year. Oh, he might come out of the gates strong, but by October our running game will be an exercise in futility. Once again.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Butler, PA

#35 Jun 1, 2009
Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
If Parker is our primary back, then we will continue to be as weak a rushing team as we were last year. Oh, he might come out of the gates strong, but by October our running game will be an exercise in futility. Once again.
I honestly think Parker is looking at the backside of his career. Maybe that will motivate him. I don't blame Parker for the lack of running game. I blame the coaches for 1, running him like he is a power back which he is not, and 2, running him 300+ times per year and wearing him out. Why not rotate in the other backs...it's crazy.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#36 Jun 1, 2009
Bob Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
I honestly think Parker is looking at the backside of his career. Maybe that will motivate him. I don't blame Parker for the lack of running game. I blame the coaches for 1, running him like he is a power back which he is not, and 2, running him 300+ times per year and wearing him out. Why not rotate in the other backs...it's crazy.
I absolutely agree. I actually really LIKE Parker, just not as the workhorse of the team. He's proven time and time again he can't handle that.

Omaha, NE

#37 Jun 2, 2009
Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
I absolutely agree. I actually really LIKE Parker, just not as the workhorse of the team. He's proven time and time again he can't handle that.
Ok. So here's the deal. Carolina lost its starting guard and shipped its #1 feature back (Foster) to the 49ers for some draft picks in 08's offseason. It used those draft picks to ninja Jonathon Stewart and Jeff Otah from the Steelers in the ensuing draft. Jonathon, coupled with DeAngelo Williams...well, lets just say 2000+ yds and 23 TDs will get you into the post season. Add onto that, they had a relatively weak strength of schedule in '08.

Now, we have a healthy Rashard Mendenhall (Johnathon Stewart) returning for pretty much a continuation of his rookie year. We picked up a big run blocking beast in the draft in Urbik. Combine a full season with Stewart's power and Parker's speed. And I can see a similar season unfolding for the black and gold (lets say...2200 rushing yards with 22 combined TDs). Plus, if one of them can't cut it...we have MeMo and Frank the Tank in reserve.

I've stated for years, the Panthers have been consistent with the Steeler's success (in the regular season) since John Fox started coaching them. I'd say we take a look at another team's blueprint for getting the running game going...but it looks like they already did.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#38 Jun 2, 2009
LZ-Steel wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. So here's the deal. Carolina lost its starting guard and shipped its #1 feature back (Foster) to the 49ers for some draft picks in 08's offseason. It used those draft picks to ninja Jonathon Stewart and Jeff Otah from the Steelers in the ensuing draft. Jonathon, coupled with DeAngelo Williams...well, lets just say 2000+ yds and 23 TDs will get you into the post season. Add onto that, they had a relatively weak strength of schedule in '08.
Now, we have a healthy Rashard Mendenhall (Johnathon Stewart) returning for pretty much a continuation of his rookie year. We picked up a big run blocking beast in the draft in Urbik. Combine a full season with Stewart's power and Parker's speed. And I can see a similar season unfolding for the black and gold (lets say...2200 rushing yards with 22 combined TDs). Plus, if one of them can't cut it...we have MeMo and Frank the Tank in reserve.
I've stated for years, the Panthers have been consistent with the Steeler's success (in the regular season) since John Fox started coaching them. I'd say we take a look at another team's blueprint for getting the running game going...but it looks like they already did.
Cool. I'd love to see them use Parker and Mendenhall more or less equally (and maybe even play around with that "pony express backfield" they were threatening last year).

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Butler, PA

#39 Jun 2, 2009
LZ-Steel wrote:
<quoted text>
now if we can only get the OC to call running plays without getting into the same predictable pattern of run parker inside the tackle on first down for no gain, run parker inside the other tackle on second down for -2, throw the ball to hines ward...lol.

Omaha, NE

#40 Jun 2, 2009
Bob Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
now if we can only get the OC to call running plays without getting into the same predictable pattern of run parker inside the tackle on first down for no gain, run parker inside the other tackle on second down for -2, throw the ball to hines ward...lol.
Bob...Shhhhhh! I'm trying to forget our running problems in the '08 season. Let me live out the fantasy at least until the nightmare is re-realized in preseason.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bryant McFadden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ex-Steelers CB Gay heads to Arizona (Mar '12) Mar '12 oOooooo 1
Rashard Mendenhall is Dancing, Too (Mar '11) Mar '11 CLS 09-28-1975 1
Steelers' Polamalu, Harrison silent in Super Bowl (Feb '11) Feb '11 flywatt 8
Steelers' Polamalu, Harrison missing in action (Feb '11) Feb '11 TOA 5
Big hitters on defense don't deliver | The Colu... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Biff 33 4
Sports wire | The Columbus Dispatch (Jan '11) Jan '11 marleeyah sondreya 1
Oakland Raiders notebook: McFadden brothers wil... (Jan '11) Jan '11 elshagon 1
More from around the web