Should the Pittsburgh Steelers Trade ...

Should the Pittsburgh Steelers Trade Willie Parker?

There are 40 comments on the Bleacher Report story from May 4, 2009, titled Should the Pittsburgh Steelers Trade Willie Parker?. In it, Bleacher Report reports that:

It is to no Pittsburgh Steelers fan that Willie Parker has his share of injuries.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bleacher Report.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RLone

Buffalo, NY

#1 May 4, 2009
I like Willie, but running backs breakdown quickly. If we can get good value for a trade, I say do it.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Since: Feb 08

East Butler, PA

#2 May 4, 2009
RLone wrote:
I like Willie, but running backs breakdown quickly. If we can get good value for a trade, I say do it.
i think they will let FWP play out his contract. He will most likely not be offered an extension after this season IMO.

“Steelers Forever”

Since: Dec 07

Cranberry Township PA

#3 May 4, 2009
Bob Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
i think they will let FWP play out his contract. He will most likely not be offered an extension after this season IMO.
My feelings to Bob. The tires have begun to fall off of FWP IMO. I love the guy, but if he gets hurt this season...

STEELERS ROCK !!!

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

East Butler, PA

#4 May 4, 2009
Bill in Cranberry wrote:
<quoted text>
My feelings to Bob. The tires have begun to fall off of FWP IMO. I love the guy, but if he gets hurt this season...
STEELERS ROCK !!!
last season was a tough one for parker. I hope he cans stay healthy. I think he will be the second guy by the end of the season. If he has lost his speed he's just an undersized RB. the league is full of them.

Moore is the 3rd down back because he can run routes and catch the ball. the tank will no doubt be the short yardage guy. mendenhall is poised to be the starter. for now it will be FWP but let's see how it plays out. I see this as a transition year for the steelers running game.

He's had a pretty good run with 5 seasons, consider that he only played in 8 games his rookie year, he's at
1,155 attempts 4,989 yds 4.3 avg.

not bad for an undrafted rookie!
a_moore

Stow, MA

#5 May 4, 2009
I think they shouldn't trade him cause hes to powerful of a rb I would rather have him hurt on our bench then him healthy running 1k+ yards against us.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#6 May 4, 2009
a_moore wrote:
I think they shouldn't trade him cause hes to powerful of a rb I would rather have him hurt on our bench then him healthy running 1k+ yards against us.
If they were worried about that, they'd just make sure not to trade him to an AFC North team. But with the way he's performed recently (and with the team speed of the D), I don't think they'd have any trouble containing him. He only seems to run well against teams with sub-par running Ds (like the Browns). If we could get something really good for him (like a really good RT at a similar crossroads in his career), I'd go for it in a heartbeat. But no one would ever offer that for him, because it's obvious to everyone except Arians and Tomlin that Parker is pretty close to washed up. He should have been a change-of-pace back or 3rd-down back from the beginning (he would have been brilliant at that for years). Instead, he tried to turn himself into an every-down power back, and all he did was erode his speed (which was the one thing he really had going for him). He's a class human being, and well-loved by his teammates, but if they automatically anoint him as the starter over Mendenhall, I'm going to vomit profusely.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

East Butler, PA

#7 May 4, 2009
Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
If they were worried about that, they'd just make sure not to trade him to an AFC North team. But with the way he's performed recently (and with the team speed of the D), I don't think they'd have any trouble containing him. He only seems to run well against teams with sub-par running Ds (like the Browns). If we could get something really good for him (like a really good RT at a similar crossroads in his career), I'd go for it in a heartbeat. But no one would ever offer that for him, because it's obvious to everyone except Arians and Tomlin that Parker is pretty close to washed up. He should have been a change-of-pace back or 3rd-down back from the beginning (he would have been brilliant at that for years). Instead, he tried to turn himself into an every-down power back, and all he did was erode his speed (which was the one thing he really had going for him). He's a class human being, and well-loved by his teammates, but if they automatically anoint him as the starter over Mendenhall, I'm going to vomit profusely.
better get a bucket ready Rex. lol. Parker will be the starter until mendy proves he can handle the load. Also parker is fighting for his job this season so expect him to enter the season in shape. I just wonder if he can hold mendenhall down for one more season. also there is a tank in the wings just itching to run someone over.
The Trout

Slippery Rock, PA

#8 May 4, 2009
Bob Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
better get a bucket ready Rex. lol. Parker will be the starter until mendy proves he can handle the load. Also parker is fighting for his job this season so expect him to enter the season in shape. I just wonder if he can hold mendenhall down for one more season. also there is a tank in the wings just itching to run someone over.
You're right about Parker's contract year, but for that same reason I'm thinking the brass may want to see exactly what Mendenhall's got before they make any decision about Parker's future. That could translate into some serious playing time at some point.
08girl

Clearfield, PA

#9 May 4, 2009
NOOOO! Don't get rid of Willie! He's awesome! This season he'll be injury-free and will be back to his old great self!(hopefully ;)

Since: Apr 08

Monroe, LA

#10 May 4, 2009
If he puts up a 1000+ yd/7+ TD season, there's no way we can afford to let FWP go. However, if he puts in another injury filled season without any spectacular stats to accompany them...There's no reason we should keep him around when we have such promising youth waiting behind him.

In the age where the Steelers let greats like Gregg Lloyd, Antwan Randel El, and Jerry Porter go in FA for cap reasons alone, Parker needs to produce big for us to warrant a significant extension.

Omaha, NE

#11 May 5, 2009
RLone wrote:
You look at it as a business proposition 100%. You'd be wrong to do this. Its production vs. cap room. Willie doesn't cost us too much in cap room right now. If he gets us 1000+ yds and 5+ TD's next season, there's not reason not to keep him on the roster. You're looking at this RB for value's sake only. If you look at him with the eyes of a GM...production vs salary...he's very seriously a good RB. He had a bad year...time to see if he improves.

Omaha, NE

#12 May 5, 2009
In essence, you're looking at Fast Willie Parker at a fantasy football side of things. Bad way to look at the leading rusher in the NFL 2 years ago. Just my humble opinion tho.

Think about it.

“Harvin ROY 2009”

Since: Apr 09

Franklin, WI

#13 May 5, 2009
Lets remember Mendenhall went down last season. I think all Steeler fans can agree with me when I say that you did not see enough of Mendenhall to assess whether or not he has what it takes to be a number one back in this league.

With that being said, shipping out a guy that all but guarantees you 1K and 5+ TD's when healthy, doesn't seem like an intelligent move.

Odds are you aren't getting a playmaking RB in exchange. More than likely being a draft pick. We can all agree PIT is still geared and primed for possibly a 7th title, why ruin that chemistry by adding uncertainty?
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#14 May 5, 2009
It's all irrelevant, anyway. There's not a chance they're going to trade Willie Parker. And it's true that Parker piled up some serious yards against really bad teams early in the 2007 season, but last year I'd argue that his presence actually hurt the Steelers. Arians and Tomlin remained so enamored of his potential that they kept running him repeatedly even when it was obvious that he had nothing (i.e., the AFC Championship game) instead of putting in someone like Moore who last year was clearly the superior back (even Russell deserved a chance after Parker's 10th 1/2-yd. run of the game).

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

East Butler, PA

#15 May 5, 2009
Rex J Steelman wrote:
It's all irrelevant, anyway. There's not a chance they're going to trade Willie Parker. And it's true that Parker piled up some serious yards against really bad teams early in the 2007 season, but last year I'd argue that his presence actually hurt the Steelers. Arians and Tomlin remained so enamored of his potential that they kept running him repeatedly even when it was obvious that he had nothing (i.e., the AFC Championship game) instead of putting in someone like Moore who last year was clearly the superior back (even Russell deserved a chance after Parker's 10th 1/2-yd. run of the game).
we all said it last season. moore provided a spark more than once when parker was doing his behind the line dance routine. of course parker was playing injured half the time, and mendenhall was injured. agree with the above post that mendy hasn't proven anything yet....that is about to change I predict.

Omaha, NE

#16 May 6, 2009
Bob, Rex...Parker is explosive. As much as he was 3 years ago. He has the elusiveness and power to burst through that tackle and get to the secondary. Easy 10 years. The PROBLEM, was that we didn't have a line that opened up holes. "Parker's dancing in the backfield" was him trying to find a hole to run through. Go to your DVR and look at it. He had no chance. THAT is offensive line issues.

End Rant.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#17 May 6, 2009
LZ-Steel wrote:
Bob, Rex...Parker is explosive. As much as he was 3 years ago. He has the elusiveness and power to burst through that tackle and get to the secondary. Easy 10 years. The PROBLEM, was that we didn't have a line that opened up holes. "Parker's dancing in the backfield" was him trying to find a hole to run through. Go to your DVR and look at it. He had no chance. THAT is offensive line issues.
End Rant.
He's definitely lost speed. When he does get free, plays that would have been TDs now get run down from behind. When I really got disgusted with Parker was that dropped pass in the AFC Championship game. Everybody is still all over the rookie Sweed for dropping the ball, but given Parker's experience level, and the relative ease of the play, his was fifty times as bad. He looks away (for no apparent reason) and lets a sure TD clang off his hands. You'd think someone who was having so much trouble getting through the line would put in concentrated effort at developing receiving skills.

I know he's going to have his moments this season, and I'm going to be cheering him on when he does, but I still think this is a guy who'd be better served coming in late in the game as a change of pace. Mendenhall's no true battering ram himself, but he's got a little more of that than Parker and I'd like to see him get a genuine chance to win the job.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

East Butler, PA

#18 May 6, 2009
Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
He's definitely lost speed. When he does get free, plays that would have been TDs now get run down from behind. When I really got disgusted with Parker was that dropped pass in the AFC Championship game. Everybody is still all over the rookie Sweed for dropping the ball, but given Parker's experience level, and the relative ease of the play, his was fifty times as bad. He looks away (for no apparent reason) and lets a sure TD clang off his hands. You'd think someone who was having so much trouble getting through the line would put in concentrated effort at developing receiving skills.
I know he's going to have his moments this season, and I'm going to be cheering him on when he does, but I still think this is a guy who'd be better served coming in late in the game as a change of pace. Mendenhall's no true battering ram himself, but he's got a little more of that than Parker and I'd like to see him get a genuine chance to win the job.
the thing is, if there is no hole then you hit the pile and get a yard or two. getting thrown for a loss time and again is not a good thing, even if you do rip off a 20 yarder later in the game. I also hope the best from parker but from what I've seen the past few years I'm not optimistic. LZ makes a valid point though about arians giving up on the FB as lead blocker. I'm a smashmouth football guy, you line up and make them stop the run. once they bring the safety up you play action and get the ball in the hands of ward, holmes or miller.

Omaha, NE

#19 May 7, 2009
Bob Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a smashmouth football guy, you line up and make them stop the run. once they bring the safety up you play action and get the ball in the hands of ward, holmes or miller.
Ding ding...we have a winner. Excellent analysis. Pretty simple when you think about it. Amazing we've gone through 2 years of needless QB abuse because our OC can't realize it...or refuses to acknowledge it.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

East Butler, PA

#20 May 7, 2009
LZ-Steel wrote:
<quoted text>
Ding ding...we have a winner. Excellent analysis. Pretty simple when you think about it. Amazing we've gone through 2 years of needless QB abuse because our OC can't realize it...or refuses to acknowledge it.
Also, and I hate to keep ragging on the o line, but we haven't been able to run a decent screen since faneca and hartings were here. What's the problem there? Is it the line, is it the play calling, is it the RB? We have guys t-ing off on Ben and going full throttle into the back field, how come we can't burn them with a screen? I hated the cowboys in the 90s but man they used to set up the most perfect screens with emmit smith and those monsters they had up front.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bryant McFadden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ex-Steelers CB Gay heads to Arizona (Mar '12) Mar '12 oOooooo 1
News Rashard Mendenhall is Dancing, Too (Mar '11) Mar '11 CLS 09-28-1975 1
News Steelers' Polamalu, Harrison silent in Super Bowl (Feb '11) Feb '11 flywatt 8
News Steelers' Polamalu, Harrison missing in action (Feb '11) Feb '11 TOA 5
News Big hitters on defense don't deliver | The Colu... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Biff 33 4
News Sports wire | The Columbus Dispatch (Jan '11) Jan '11 marleeyah sondreya 1
News Oakland Raiders notebook: McFadden brothers wil... (Jan '11) Jan '11 elshagon 1
More from around the web