Raider or bust? Russell the latter

Full story: TwinCities.com

In this Nov. 30, 2008, file photo, Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell sits on the bench during an NFL football game against the Kansas City Chiefs in Oakland, Calif.
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated May 8, 2010
t powers

Buckhannon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

39 million he's no bust he got his money and he'll run with it. Raiders have not had a regular good quarterback since ken stablier.

“Bull Ship”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

t powers wrote:
39 million he's no bust he got his money and he'll run with it. Raiders have not had a regular good quarterback since ken stablier.
The snake was a pretty good QB but Plunkett was no slouch. I know they got him later in his career but it shows the Raiders just can't pick a good young QB.

“Just Win Baby!”

Since: Sep 09

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

Gannon was a Good QB...not great...but he definitely was Good!
t powers wrote:
Old Gringo

Lubbock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

Yeah and Plunkett has never made the Hall of Fame. Gannon was very smart and very good but too old when he hit his stride with the Raiders. Stabler was great - period. Tough and smart.

The Raiders' problem the last decade is the owner. Al Davis is a football legend and rightfully so. But he is stuck in the 80's. He thinks a few speedy wide receivers and a decent quarterback can play and win on any given day. Wrong. Players at all positions are bigger, stronger, faster. Players coming out of many college programs are as good at their positions as many 2nd and 3rd year pros used to be.

The latest mistake? Betting the Stadium on Jason Campbell. Puhleeze. I mean he HAS to be better than Russell. But how good does that have to be? I say Gradkowski needs to be given the chance to improve and to prove himself.

Whatever, it was painful watching Russell. Like watching a good actor in a bad role.

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

t powers wrote:
What about Plunkett?? He led us to 2 Superbowl Championships; Stabler only led us to 1. Now you could've said that we haven't drafted a regular good QB since Stabler because that is true. We did draft Steve Beaurline who was good for other teams, but not us. Some QBs that we drafted like Marques Tuiososoppo and Andrew Walter I don't think got fair chances especially Tui since he was around when we were good; Walter was drafted into a bad coaching staff.

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

Heck we haven't had a first round QB work out yet...except maybe Roman Gabriel. I don't know much about him because that was before my time.
Eldrige Dickey lost out to second rounder Kenny Stabler
Marc Wilson lost out to FA Jim Plunkett who was already considered a bust by his previous teams
Todd Marinovich was nothing but trouble and is problably in prison now plus made me appreciate Jay Schroeder.
Now Jamarcus Russell just cared about money and not winning.
Old Gringo

Lubbock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

TexasRaider wrote:
<quoted text>
What about Plunkett?? He led us to 2 Superbowl Championships; Stabler only led us to 1. Now you could've said that we haven't drafted a regular good QB since Stabler because that is true. We did draft Steve Beaurline who was good for other teams, but not us. Some QBs that we drafted like Marques Tuiososoppo and Andrew Walter I don't think got fair chances especially Tui since he was around when we were good; Walter was drafted into a bad coaching staff.
2 Super Bowls and no Hall of Fame. Plunkett has been screwed over in my opinion. And no matter who is coach they have to listen to Al calling in plays and naming the starting players. I don't wish Al ill but when he's gone I think you will see the Raiders become a major factor in the NFL again. Example: Jon Gruden.

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

OG, "so cal."

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

i don't wish him ill either but he has taken us to five supebowls. won three superbowls. i respect him. who knows? we may just get another superbowl before he kicks the bucket. too bad jim plunkette and tom flores arent in the H.O.F. they very well deserve to be there more than others. but it is what it is. they'll get their turn hopefully soon. it's time!
RAIDERS 2010!!!
Old Gringo

Lubbock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2010

RAIDER MISTERIO OG wrote:
i don't wish him ill either but he has taken us to five supebowls. won three superbowls. i respect him. who knows? we may just get another superbowl before he kicks the bucket. too bad jim plunkette and tom flores arent in the H.O.F. they very well deserve to be there more than others. but it is what it is. they'll get their turn hopefully soon. it's time!
RAIDERS 2010!!!
Al is living in the past. He's a great man and helped make the NFL what it is today. But he is living in the past and not keeping up to be competitive.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bruce Gradkowski Discussions

Search the Bruce Gradkowski Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Is It Time For The Steelers To Clean Some House? (Sep '13) Sep '13 Ben Tony Romolisberger 3
Five Reasons Why Pittsburgh Steelers Will Make ... (May '13) May '13 4everasteeler 1
Steelers sign Gradkowski for back-up quarterbac... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Backup QB Posse 1
Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator: Hue Ja... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Freddy 2
Raiders sign QB Brennan (Aug '10) Nov '12 Nostraden 10
Dalton 'fine' after bruising arm in Bengals' vi... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Warghoul 1
Vick declined better offer from Bengals (Aug '11) Aug '11 John Madden 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••