Time is ripe for Chicago Bears defense

Full story: Chicago Tribune

On one end of the practice field, defensive line coach Rod Marinelli smacked his hands together to applaud a routine swim move Tommie Harris has performed countless times.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Sweet34

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2009

Some of you will bark that we need Mike Brown back there. But, let's move on. After watching Adrian Peterson made him lose his jock last year, it appears MB has lost more than a step. We need to move on. Defense should be fine as long as JC and the revamped "O" keeps on the field. Everything else will take care of itself.

The big problem last year was the "D" couldn't get itself off the field; while the offense always seemed to do it's best getting off in a hurry.

This year should be slightly different. Regardless we win at least 11. We are going back to the playoffs, and yes ... we will win another SB.

Haters get use to it.
Hank the Tank

Evanston, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2009

Maybe I am wrong but Smith did name Manning the starter at FS at the begining of the off season and then Angelo thought better of it and said he didn't think they should move Manning around so they left him at Nickle. But know after seeing the alternative and having to move Garham back to corner, Manning gets the job.
My favorite quote ""His hips will tell you," Hoke instructed Vasher."
Mike Brady told that to Greg Brady when Greg first wanted to play football on the Brady Bunch. It's one of the basic rules of football. Glad to see Vasher is learning it now. A little late don't you think.
jmbears1977

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

Vasher's not really that bad, is he? I mean, I remember jumping for joy (literally) when we re-signed him and Tillman. I couldn't have been wrong when I thought that they were one of the best CB tandems in football, could I? I have watched Tivo'd games from 2006 and Vasher was a beast. Whatever. The time is now, and Bowman seems to be picking up right where he left off in the vikings game last year. Oh, yeah, I watched the season opener from last year too and watched Vasher make a pathetic whiff of an arm slap at Addai on a TD run...
sam

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

it's so refreshing when some one like haugh acknowledges that it's now or never so if it happens, great if not there should be no excuse not to get rid of lovie and some of the over paid players on defense who are being paid like a QB.basically it seems like a win/win situation either way
Dago T

Clive, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

Nice jerseys! The Chicago Billboards? Windy City Whoredogs? Second City Sellouts?
Michigan Bears Fan

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

Hank the Tank wrote:
Maybe I am wrong but Smith did name Manning the starter at FS at the begining of the off season and then Angelo thought better of it and said he didn't think they should move Manning around so they left him at Nickle. But know after seeing the alternative and having to move Garham back to corner, Manning gets the job.
Mike Brady told that to Greg Brady when Greg first wanted to play football on the Brady Bunch. It's one of the basic rules of football. Glad to see Vasher is learning it now. A little late don't you think.
Yeah, I heard that advice when I was playing at Mt. Carmel High School, and that was 20 years ago. I would think Vasher has heard it too. Maybe it's just another example how far the defensive "coaching?" has fallen since Ron Rivera left. Letting Rivera leave has been the dumbest defensive move the Bears have made since letting Wilbur Marshall escape after the '85 Bears.
NumberNine

Bradenton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

Stopping the run.....is what has to happen to this year.

And that's what didn't happen versus Indy in 06, and one of the main reasons we lost that game.

Run the ball and stop the run....it's always been the formula.

Get it done Lovie, or go bye bye.
rhodeislanddave

Tiverton, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

lovie isnt going anywhere. only one team in the NFC has more wins than thebears since hes been coach(giants). has the man ever had a losing season?
bkilla29

Gulf Breeze, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

Tribune, PLEASE get rid of Haugh. I am tired of reading his articles.
flo

Elkhart, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

"a giant grandfather clock"

Goota steal this one.....nicely played
Not Exactly Lombardi

Carol Stream, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

Michigan Bears Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe it's just another example how far the defensive "coaching?" has fallen since Ron Rivera left. Letting Rivera leave has been the dumbest defensive move the Bears have made since letting Wilbur Marshall escape after the '85 Bears.
Ah yes. The Messiah known as Ron Rivera is the answer to all problems football related. Rivera wasn't so great after losing Tommy Harris and Mike Brown in 2006. What's amazing to me is how the immensely overrated Rivera hasn't gotten the call to be a head coach yet. This, despite the fact that about 20 others have been hired since he left the Bears.
He's been as equally unspectacular as a coach as he was a player when he replaced Wilbur Marshall 20 years ago.

I'm a Bear fan but do other cities pine for a team that had won a single title 25 years earlier?
I get made fun of for celebrating the Sox series win that was only 4 years ago.
Steve

Orland Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

I love the Bears but lets be real; right now they look like a 7-9/8-8 team but because of a weak schedule they should go 9-7/10-6 and get smoked in the playoffs. Until the Bears learn how to build thier team with quality depth they will never get over the hump. Problem is they only sign and draft players who can play special teams. What hapens when one thier starters go down? They dont have quality back-ups to replace injured starters because they can only "play special teams." We seen this with recievers and especially defensive backs, a position where players are always getting injured. This professional football not baseball, you need DEPTH! So until they change thier ways is this aspect they will never go far.
MattTheRat

Willowbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

I don't know much, but I do know Tillman is an outstanding player. I say let him rehab as long as it takes. Find out what these other jamokes can do and work them hard. If Peanut does not come back until after the opener is okay with me. A healthy Charles Tillman is is a threat to all opponents.
Yikes

Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

Dago T wrote:
Nice jerseys! The Chicago Billboards? Windy City Whoredogs? Second City Sellouts?
OOOhhh...don't be jealous that your sucky team sucks!
Irv

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

Tick, tick, tick ...

Haugh now says time is running out? This from the same guy who had no problem wasting 5 years on the Rex Grossman experience. Haugh didn't notice during that time that the Bears league leading defense was being wasted on a team with no offense and a coach that thought not losing by much was an accomplishment.

It would be tempting to surmise Haugh is starting to wake up. But the fact is he is just admitting what others have been saying for the last 5 years and he was too dense or too beholden to the bears to ever write about.

So now he tells us. Maybe one day Haugh will get around to writing about the ineffective placeholder that is the bears head coach. But that day will probably only come after Lovie has gone. It's been 6 years of ineptitude and counting, when will that start adding up for Haugh?
Spike

Portland, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

Sweet34 wrote:
Some of you will bark that we need Mike Brown back there. But, let's move on. After watching Adrian Peterson made him lose his jock last year, it appears MB has lost more than a step. We need to move on. Defense should be fine as long as JC and the revamped "O" keeps on the field. Everything else will take care of itself.
The big problem last year was the "D" couldn't get itself off the field; while the offense always seemed to do it's best getting off in a hurry.
This year should be slightly different. Regardless we win at least 11. We are going back to the playoffs, and yes ... we will win another SB.
Haters get use to it.
I'm sure in my heart of hearts that you (and many others) remember Super Bowl XX.

I am also sure that you remember the name of the team whom Da Bearss dismantled so thoroughly that terrible day.

It seems that they have had a bit more success in the subsequent years than your team.

If,(and this is a BIG if) your team should return to the Super Bowl there is a good chance that they will find waiting for them - albeit with different colored uniforms - the same team.

Should that occur, much idiotic stuff will be written about the previous game, all present participants will proclaim that that means NOTHING which will be partial b.s. but the press must have its day, and then we shall see what we shall see.

One question, sir - if Brady and Moss get HOT do you seriously think that your team can stop them?
Spike

Portland, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

Then again, that's why they play the games, isn't it?

I respect Da Bearss, I respect the Packers - they ARE pro football.

But that don't mean I gotta root for them

Let the best team win

let the games begin
sam

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2009

Spike wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure in my heart of hearts that you (and many others) remember Super Bowl XX.
I am also sure that you remember the name of the team whom Da Bearss dismantled so thoroughly that terrible day.
It seems that they have had a bit more success in the subsequent years than your team.
If,(and this is a BIG if) your team should return to the Super Bowl there is a good chance that they will find waiting for them - albeit with different colored uniforms - the same team.
Should that occur, much idiotic stuff will be written about the previous game, all present participants will proclaim that that means NOTHING which will be partial b.s. but the press must have its day, and then we shall see what we shall see.
One question, sir - if Brady and Moss get HOT do you seriously think that your team can stop them?
believe what you want friend but the 85 Bears team was larger than life and arguably the best team in nfl history nothing that has happend since can ever change that fact.
Sweet34

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2009

Hank the Tank wrote:
Hank, as a coach, I can only tell you,
you'd think it sound funny telling that "hips" line to Vasher. But, even Tiger Woods is told to keep his head down by his swing coach. Micheal Phelps is told to finish his stroke too. Sounds stupid, but, basic principles apply. Even the best need reminding, over and over. Basic human nature, and "Good" Athlethes relish doing the little things. It's how they made themselves good. Make sense?
Sweet34

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2009

Spike wrote:
<quoted text>
Sprikles, your team cheats !!! Moss buys pot from your little sister.

But, as you respected our team, I'm just joking with you. But, just maybe, some of it is true?

And it's to bad you lost in 2006 I was hoping we meet then, instead of Indy.

When was the last time you went to the SB? Anyway, as I tell anyone with the Lombardi trophy in their heart of hearts, you're only as good as your next game.

or as my boss says, what have you done for me lately?

Best Wishes, never too late to become a Bear fan !!! Peace.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••