Trojans' horses again are aplenty at ...

Trojans' horses again are aplenty at all-star game

There are 9 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jan 23, 2009, titled Trojans' horses again are aplenty at all-star game. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Clay Matthews III was such a late bloomer, the only colleges that offered the linebacker a scholarship were small I-AA schools and a couple of junior colleges.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

mike

Gadsden, AL

#1 Jan 24, 2009
"They like football," Ireland added. "We like guys who like football.
"
----------
I like football. That means that Ireland, Parcells, and Sparano must like me. Thanks guys! I like you, too.
dirtywhiteboy

Owosso, MI

#2 Jan 24, 2009
I'd love to see Mauluga in a Lions uniform cracking people's heads.

We haven't had anyone quite like him since Spielman.

“WHY NOT US!!!”

Since: Feb 08

north miami beach

#3 Jan 24, 2009
Omar, it would be interesting if you kept track of those guys that backed out come draft days. I would like to know if they are working in the NFL this summer or at Taco Bell??? GO PHINS!!!

Since: Mar 08

O Fallon, IL

#4 Jan 24, 2009
It'd be great if the Dolphins could snag one of those USC LBs in the draft. They are 3 of the top 10 LB prospects in this draft.

“WHY NOT US!!!”

Since: Feb 08

north miami beach

#5 Jan 24, 2009
Delphinus 13 wrote:
It'd be great if the Dolphins could snag one of those USC LBs in the draft. They are 3 of the top 10 LB prospects in this draft.
Maluga, Cushing, and that other dude seem to be all the rave this draft. Im sure they will be gone by our turn. Im still thinking we are going to address the LB situation in FA then try to fill as many other needs in the draft. We also need to retain our secondary at least through this season, just for the fact if we do draft a corner and/or safety our good and half decent guys are still in place in case the new guys just aint NFL material...GO PHINS!!!

Since: Mar 08

O Fallon, IL

#6 Jan 24, 2009
ocala howie wrote:
<quoted text>Maluga, Cushing, and that other dude seem to be all the rave this draft. Im sure they will be gone by our turn. Im still thinking we are going to address the LB situation in FA then try to fill as many other needs in the draft. We also need to retain our secondary at least through this season, just for the fact if we do draft a corner and/or safety our good and half decent guys are still in place in case the new guys just aint NFL material...GO PHINS!!!
Miami picks 25th through. A lot teams picking ahead of Miami are going to go for needs in other areas like QB, OL, DL, RB, so there's a pretty good chance one of those top 5 LBs will still be on the board when Miami picks. I'm sure Laurinaitis and Maualuga will be gone, and New England's likely to take Brian Cushing if he's available when they pick ahead of Miami, but I can see the Dolphins getting a really good LB and a really good OL player, and maybe a DT in the first two rounds. Of course this all depends on what they do in free agency, but Miami should be able address some key needs on draft day 1.
Sidney

Monroe, NC

#7 Jan 25, 2009
It's deceptive to state that any one university is the most represented in the country. Florida as an example had not one Sr. starting on its defense this year and one a couple on its starting offense. The article makes USC sound like the cream of the crop when in fact it could only mean they have alot more starting seniors then other universities represented.
Scott Small

Placentia, CA

#8 Jan 27, 2009
Point well taken about the cycle of seniors, Sidney. Of course, USC had Keith Rivers (first round to Cincinnati), Lawrence Jackson (first round to Seattle), Sedrick Ellis (first round to New Orleans), Terrell Thomas (second round to the Giants), Sam Baker (second round to Atlanta), Fred Davis (second round to Washington) and Chilo Rachal (second round to San Francisco) go on Day One of the 2008 Draft. In 2007 they had only Steve Smith (to the Giants), Dwayne Jarrett (to Carolina) and Ryan Kalil (also to Carolina) go on Day One, perhaps a "down year" in the Trojans' cycle. In 2006, an "up cycle" year, they had Reggie Bush (New Orleans), Matt Leinart (Arizona), Winston Justice (Philadelphia), Deuce Lutui (Arizona) and LenDale White (Tennessee) go on Day One. So you're right about the cycle of graduation/moving on to the NFL at any school.

On the other hand, the preceding list plus what USC will send to the NFL this year (Maualuga, Cushing, Matthews, Mark Sanchez, Patrick Turner) and next year makes me think that if there is a "cream of the crop," USC is it.
Mr Breeze

Ravenna, OH

#9 Feb 16, 2009
I would love to see Clay Matthews go to the browns. His dad is my personal favorite Brown of all-time

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brian Cushing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texans urged to stay in room, not eat room serv... (Nov '16) Feb '17 Big Fat Phart 2
News Rob Gronkowski active for Patriots, set to make... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News NFL: Brian Cushing gets back on track vs. Giants (Sep '14) Sep '14 OBriens Butt-Chin 1
News Houston Texans turn out for Johnathan Joseph fu... (Sep '14) Sep '14 OBriens Butt-Chin 1
News Texans get 17-6 win over Washington (Sep '14) Sep '14 OBriens Butt-Chin 1
News The 2014 Houston Texans Season is Basically One... (Sep '14) Sep '14 OBriens Butt-Chin 1
News Texans capsule (Aug '14) Aug '14 Obriens Butt-Chin 1
More from around the web