Bears' Lloyd back to square one

Based on the reaction of players and coaches around the league to the presidential election of Barack Obama , this would be an uncomfortable week to be a Republican on an NFL roster. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Slamming Sammy Zell

Lake Forest, IL

#1 Nov 6, 2008
Who cares which players want to play for which coach? It doesn't matter. All that matters is that the coach wins a Super Bowl. I bet Tom Coughlin is close to the bottom on the players' list and he's got that shiny piece of gold with diamonds hugging his finger. Lovie might have the love of the players, but as a fan I don't care if they like or respect the coach, or if they think he's Satan incarnate or if he pulls his pants down at halftime. None of that matters.
Jim

Villa Park, IL

#2 Nov 6, 2008
Haugh, your column makes you appear to be an arrogant, egotistical, dumbass who knows nothing about football. Are you?
Rich W

Sun Prairie, WI

#3 Nov 7, 2008
I think the BEAR fans and yes I see those booing as BEAR fans, are booing management and the memory of managements Grossman or no one policy. That policy hurt the BEARS more than Grossmans play helped or hurt the BEARS. Remember it is the same policy than sent Jones to the Jets so it could be Benson or no one.

Grossman coming in as a back up is a reminder to the fans that because of management not having a backup in place when he was injured there was not a backup.

I think management rushed him into the starting before he was ready and again not Grossmans fault but managements I think he is now ready to play and should be fine on Sunday.

GO BEARS!!! WIn The NORTH!!!!
Arnie

Duluth, GA

#4 Nov 7, 2008
Rich W wrote:
I think the BEAR fans and yes I see those booing as BEAR fans, are booing management and the memory of managements Grossman or no one policy. That policy hurt the BEARS more than Grossmans play helped or hurt the BEARS. Remember it is the same policy than sent Jones to the Jets so it could be Benson or no one.
Grossman coming in as a back up is a reminder to the fans that because of management not having a backup in place when he was injured there was not a backup.
I think management rushed him into the starting before he was ready and again not Grossmans fault but managements I think he is now ready to play and should be fine on Sunday.
GO BEARS!!! WIn The NORTH!!!!
I know its early, but what are you saying?

Since: Oct 08

Cleveland, OH

#5 Nov 7, 2008
Jim wrote:
Haugh, your column makes you appear to be an arrogant, egotistical,**** who knows nothing about football. Are you?
I know that Haugh played D-I football, how about you Jim?

David, any real word on the Wildcat? Ever since Ronnie Brown torched the Pats with it people have been waiting for Devin Hester to get some snaps.
Sublime1

Denver, CO

#6 Nov 7, 2008
Hester has looked hesitant to me. That is the thing that concerns me. I don't know what games Sanders is watching, but he seems to have lost that explosiveness.
Chuck D of Valpo

Valparaiso, IN

#7 Nov 7, 2008
The Bears victory this Sunday over the previously undefeated Titans will be bitter sweet. I predict Rex will have a solid game to prove that he is earning his paycheck. I predict the offense, defense, and special teams will play up to their standards. Now for the bitter. Those retired Miami Dolphins will get to open the bottles of sparkling wine and celebrate once again. It should be the 85' Bears taking that honor. Somewhere Walter Payton is smiling. Life is good.
Mike

San Diego, CA

#8 Nov 7, 2008
11. I know that David Haugh stole the idea for this column from Peter King's "Ten Things I Think I Think." Aren't you supposed to give credit where credit is due? Or do you think we aren't smart enough to figure out your stealing someone else's idea?
Brendan H

Mount Rainier, MD

#9 Nov 7, 2008
12. I know that almost all sports columnists feature some form of a "list" as their often self-admitted lazy day answer to writing. King didn't invent it, nor did Haugh, and everyone writes lists. I am sure credit at some point was giving to the first man to think of writing sports facts in a list, maybe back in the day of Mayan culture, though it sure wasn't on the internet.
Now Wait a Minute

Munster, IN

#10 Nov 7, 2008
When you report that two-thirds of the players polled on their favorite coach are black, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the results are 2 of the top 3 coaches are black.
racism works both ways. they are not looking at qualifications but color, just like all other races do. just like more than 95% of the blacks on tuesday voted for obama.
i have no problem with this. just tell everyone to stop using the race card as an accusation because everyone- no exception- uses it.
Chris

United States

#11 Nov 7, 2008
Slamming Sammy Zell wrote:
Who cares which players want to play for which coach? It doesn't matter. All that matters is that the coach wins a Super Bowl. I bet Tom Coughlin is close to the bottom on the players' list and he's got that shiny piece of gold with diamonds hugging his finger. Lovie might have the love of the players, but as a fan I don't care if they like or respect the coach, or if they think he's Satan incarnate or if he pulls his pants down at halftime. None of that matters.
I can understand what your trying to say but look at Lovie Smith's record as a head coach. To many times us fans and I include myself in that pick on small mistakes and forget the big picture. The Bears are in first something Smith seems to know how to get the Bears too. They will be competitive against almost any team. The Defense has fallen off but is that the players or the scheme. You cant go either way on that question. Once Lovie puts together some back to back losing seasons then you can complain but until then dont complain.
Chris

United States

#12 Nov 7, 2008
Now Wait a Minute wrote:
When you report that two-thirds of the players polled on their favorite coach are black, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the results are 2 of the top 3 coaches are black.
racism works both ways. they are not looking at qualifications but color, just like all other races do. just like more than 95% of the blacks on tuesday voted for obama.
i have no problem with this. just tell everyone to stop using the race card as an accusation because everyone- no exception- uses it.
Both coachs are very successful. Both have been to the Superbowl and both of them treat people with respect. Maybe its just me but I really didnt see race as the motive. Bellichek treats his team poorly. Many people leave each year. Couglin is the same way. Both have won a Superbowl but why would a player want to be treated like a child when they could be treated like an adlut.
Chris

United States

#13 Nov 7, 2008
sorry for the mispellings.

Since: Oct 08

petaluma, ca

#14 Nov 7, 2008
i'd love to see the bears use the 'wildcat' formation! have a combination of forte, wolfe and hester in the backfield would be great and would keep the titans "honest" on D.

so happy the game will be shown here in the Bay Area! looking forward to some hard hitting, bears football. i think the D will bring it this week and the D line will impose its will on the titans offense. at least i hope so. otherwise, we may have a long afternoon...

GO BEARS!
George

Chicago, IL

#15 Nov 7, 2008
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Both coachs are very successful. Both have been to the Superbowl and both of them treat people with respect. Maybe its just me but I really didnt see race as the motive. Bellichek treats his team poorly. Many people leave each year. Couglin is the same way. Both have won a Superbowl but why would a player want to be treated like a child when they could be treated like an adlut.
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
I can understand what your trying to say but look at Lovie Smith's record as a head coach. To many times us fans and I include myself in that pick on small mistakes and forget the big picture. The Bears are in first something Smith seems to know how to get the Bears too. They will be competitive against almost any team. The Defense has fallen off but is that the players or the scheme. You cant go either way on that question. Once Lovie puts together some back to back losing seasons then you can complain but until then dont complain.
Chris both you points sound very logical. It makes sense for Lovie to be one of the top coaches. He doesn't get to excited about anything (good or bad), he seems to have a winning philosophy, and he sticks by his players. Players appreciate that. They are people too. I think too many people got caught up in seeing coaches (black and white) yelling and screaming at the refs and players and slamming their headsets. It takes a lot of strength and character to stand their and keep your composure through some tough and great times.

And as far as the defense goes, you were dead on. Who can tell if it's the players or the scheme? I believe it was Lance Briggs who said a week ago who admitted that some of the players have been gambling and getting burned for it. Who knows what would happen if they stayed with the plan and didn't gamble? But at the same time, you want players to react on instinct. If they can get a good mix of both staying in the scheme and reacting to the plays, we could finish this season really strong. I don't think it's the personnel.

GO BEARS!!! NFC NORTH CHAMPIONS!!!!
rhodeislanddave

Tiverton, RI

#16 Nov 7, 2008
Haugh, you are stupid. GO BEARS!!!! FIRST THE TITANS THEN TAKE OUT THE PACKER TRASH!!!!
Rich

Hays, KS

#17 Nov 7, 2008
Wake up you wildcatters, Direct snap or handoff if the hole aint there, Well you figure the rest.
Rich

Hays, KS

#18 Nov 7, 2008
You guys call it the "Wildcat" because you weren't around in the 30s and 40s when it was used extensively in formations called single wing, double wing, and notre dame box, The "T" replaced them/it and finally the "I" where someone decided if the back started 7 yards deep he would have a chance to see a hole open up. never made any sense to me to run 10 yds to pick up 3.
Rich

Hays, KS

#19 Nov 7, 2008
Oh Yeah and back in the 40s you could throw a forward pass on recieving a kickoff.---And when was the last time we saw a quick kick on 2nd or 3rd down
EArnold

La Grange, IL

#20 Nov 7, 2008
Hello Web staff....for some reason I don't believe Brandon Lloyd
is a ROOKIE! At least the hardcopy didn't print it, did they?

L'wood

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brandon Lloyd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is This the Beginning of the End for New Englan... (Jan '14) Mar '14 Janitor 40
5 things to know from Patriots' 23-3 win over Bucs (Sep '13) Sep '13 Janitor 10
Lions vs. Patriots: Five Questions with Musket ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Mensans for Brady 7
Are the Patriots in Danger? (Jul '13) Jul '13 Mensa6 2
McDaniels working with young Patriots receivers (Jul '13) Jul '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
5 Irreplaceable Players For The New England Pat... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Laughing Bear Fan 2
Tom Brady will have to adjust to new corps of r... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
More from around the web