Grading the Bears' performance

Grading the Bears' performance

There are 15 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 21, 2008, titled Grading the Bears' performance. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The Bears sputtered in the first half despite an average starting field position of their own 42, managing just three field goals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Dino

United States

#1 Sep 21, 2008
The key failures here are the defensive line which no sacks even though Griese attempted 67 sacks and Ortons ineptitude when he had chances to win the game. This is the 2nd week in a row where he could have taken his team to victory and didnt deliver.
mike

Kent, WA

#2 Sep 22, 2008
You give them to much credit. The offense rates a D+ at best. Forget this defense. The QB was on this team last season. They should know everything about him. Silly me for thinking that these dullards on defense would remember anything about him when he played here. Defense F-! GIVE UP 407 passing and no sacks. This defense is horrible.
Special teams was ok with a B.
Coaching staff grade. No emotion+ No skills= No win. With the way these guys act on the sideline, you can swear your in a library. Unfortunately, I don't think that there's a grade lower than an "F". If someone finds one suitably lower than an F please apply it to this coaching staff. Attrocious coaching, and its going to only get worse!
Gerry

Bellwood, IL

#3 Sep 22, 2008
Glad I took the under in Vegas
GA BEARS Game

Milan, MI

#4 Sep 22, 2008
Agree w/ Mike. What game was that writer watching.
RWB

Stone Mountain, GA

#5 Sep 22, 2008
Agree W/Mike This coachong staff is the worst Lovie and his crew need to be fired!!!!!!!
David

Bala Cynwyd, PA

#6 Sep 22, 2008
You missed the mark on coaching. With the exception of Special Teams, the coaching staff deserves an F-minus, minus, minus. This team clearly lacks discipline and focus and as a result, have no blown to 4th quarter double digit leads! These are two areas that are the responsibility of the coaching staff. You might want to update their grade.
LKing

Dallas, TX

#7 Sep 22, 2008
A "C" for coaching. Get real.

2 weeks in a row we had a lead and the offense could not hold the ball and the defense wilted (Prevent-D). Coaching is an "F".

Playing NOT to lose is not the same as playing to WIN!!!
MDK

Mount Pleasant, SC

#8 Sep 22, 2008
They deserve an overall, FFFFF. And we, dumb heads deserve a D- for watching!!!

“Ex nihilo nihil fit”

Since: Mar 07

Middle America

#9 Sep 22, 2008
We need a new QB. There is no doubt this team has issues aside from the QB but it all begins with Orton. Orton will not win us any games and has proven that throughout his career so far. A decent QB would not have allowed the other team on the field at the end of each of these games.

Before the end of this season we will see a different QB I just wish it did not have to wait until it was too late to save this season.
Mike from Platte City

Kansas City, MO

#10 Sep 22, 2008
That's being generous to Orton. His comeback in the second half didn't erase the dismal first half. Hey Orton fans...look...it's not just Grossman that throws bonehead interceptions. PATHETIC. Defense once again shows it can only go 3 quarters. PATHETIC. Tillman once again shows that he can't play smart, which in essence cost us the game. PATHETIC.

Are you catching on to the theme here.
Byron

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#11 Sep 22, 2008
only passing grade is special teams all the rest are failing and after 34 yrs of watching them I am done.

“Ex nihilo nihil fit”

Since: Mar 07

Middle America

#12 Sep 22, 2008
Mike from Platte City wrote:
That's being generous to Orton. His comeback in the second half didn't erase the dismal first half. Hey Orton fans...look...it's not just Grossman that throws bonehead interceptions. PATHETIC. Defense once again shows it can only go 3 quarters. PATHETIC. Tillman once again shows that he can't play smart, which in essence cost us the game. PATHETIC.
Are you catching on to the theme here.
I agree, we have a great defense for three quarters then they just fall apart late in games. You could see after the Tillman penalty they just did not have anything left.
cool51byrd

Maple Valley, WA

#13 Sep 22, 2008
Mr. Mcclure, are you or have you ever been a coach? Im asking due to the fact that your grading is subjective based on what you feel should have been the correct play.
Ross

Sterling, IL

#14 Sep 22, 2008
Please! How can you grade them out with C's and B's after blowing a very winnable game? The defense was atrocious in the fourth quarter and OT.
KEVIN JACOBSON

Fort Myers, FL

#16 Sep 24, 2008
Vaugn McClure:

HOW CAN YOU GIVE THE COACHING STAFF A GRADE OF C FOR THE GAME THAT WAS PLAYED ON SUNDAY? THE BEARS ARE JUST LUCKY THAT GROSSOWOMAN WASN'T ON THE FIELD, OR THE SCORE WOULD HAVE BEEN MUCH WORSE.

I BELIEVE THE COACHING STAFF DESERVES AN F BECAUSE THEIR NOT DOING ANYTHING TO IMPROVE THE TEAM, BUT HOW CAN THEY WHEN MANAGEMENT IS GETTING RID OF THE BEST TALENT ON THE TEAM. NOT THAT BERNARD BERRIAN IS JERRY RICE, BUT HE AND GROSSWOMAN HAD A SPECIAL SPARK THAT QB'S AND RECIEVERS HAVE IN FOOTBALL AND THIS BRINGS ON TRUST AND CONFIDENCE IN EACH OTHER.

ANY CHANCE THE BEARS CAN TRADE LOVIE SMITH FOR SOME DRAFT PICKS?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brandon Lloyd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is This the Beginning of the End for New Englan... (Jan '14) Mar '14 Janitor 40
News 5 things to know from Patriots' 23-3 win over Bucs (Sep '13) Sep '13 Janitor 10
News Lions vs. Patriots: Five Questions with Musket ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Mensans for Brady 7
News Are the Patriots in Danger? (Jul '13) Jul '13 Mensa6 2
News McDaniels working with young Patriots receivers (Jul '13) Jul '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News 5 Irreplaceable Players For The New England Pat... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Laughing Bear Fan 2
News Tom Brady will have to adjust to new corps of r... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
More from around the web