Endurance is strength of rookie RB Forte

Endurance is strength of rookie RB Forte

There are 10 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 10, 2008, titled Endurance is strength of rookie RB Forte. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The Matt Forte "problem" is obvious. The solution, however, is anything but. The Bears have seen the rookie running back's rushing yardage and per-carry average decline every game since his spectacular ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

bearsfan

Naperville, IL

#1 Oct 10, 2008
I don't know who said it, but last season a sports journalist muttered, "the bears need to find a poor, hungry running back who's will to put his body in precarious positions."

Obviously the terms "poor" and "hungry" are relative, but that's what they've found in Forte. Probably not a pro-bowler, but serviceable in every aspect. Good Find.
BigWay

North Las Vegas, NV

#2 Oct 10, 2008
Forte and Jones on the field together, Ha. Heaven forbid that Jason McKie would lose snaps since we all know that he has been the single most valuable Bear during the Lovie Smith era. I don't know what kind of pictures Mckie has of Smith and Turner, but they must be really good/bad.
Philo

Palmetto, FL

#3 Oct 10, 2008
I don't think it's that he gets sharper, it's defenses always get more worn down the more running plays, and it makes it more possible to break a huge run, which is what is needed for most high YPC games.

Benson's YPC was low because he took until his last two games to break any decent runs. Forte had the big run against the Colts.

It's not brain surgery here.
Da Church of Da Coach

Macomb, IL

#4 Oct 11, 2008
Wow ... normally I love John but this article is a logical fallacy. Forte gets less YPC when he gets the ball less times? Really? Or is the fact that the defense is stuffing the run so we pass more?

C'mon use some common sense. It's football not brain surgery. If the defense is loaded to stop the run, Forte gets less carries and Orton more pass attempts. If the defense is sitting back in zone coverage, Forte gets more carries and Orton gets less passes.

If you give him more carries against a stacked 8-9 man front, his YPC is not going to go up and you WILL run him into the ground. This article was completely stupid.
Pot meets kettle

Wheaton, IL

#5 Oct 11, 2008
Da Church of Da Coach wrote:
Wow ... normally I love John but this article is a logical fallacy. Forte gets less YPC when he gets the ball less times? Really? Or is the fact that the defense is stuffing the run so we pass more?
C'mon use some common sense. It's football not brain surgery. If the defense is loaded to stop the run, Forte gets less carries and Orton more pass attempts. If the defense is sitting back in zone coverage, Forte gets more carries and Orton gets less passes.
If you give him more carries against a stacked 8-9 man front, his YPC is not going to go up and you WILL run him into the ground. This article was completely stupid.
I think when your screen name is "Da Church of Da Coach" you rescind the right to call ANYONE stupid.
Its simple, the more times Forte touches the ball, the more likely he is to break off long runs that will increase his YPC. It doesn't matter if there's nine defenders and a marching band inside the box, if the play is executed perfectly, there's no reason for him to not gain large chunks of yards on a given play.
Oh, and to the genius who is whining about Jason McKie ... you might wanna take three seconds to learn the difference between a halfback and a fullback, then get back to me, kthx!
Da Church of Da Coach

Macomb, IL

#6 Oct 11, 2008
Pot meets kettle wrote:
<quoted text>
Its simple, the more times Forte touches the ball, the more likely he is to break off long runs that will increase his YPC. It doesn't matter if there's nine defenders and a marching band inside the box, if the play is executed perfectly, there's no reason for him to not gain large chunks of yards on a given play.
Who'd you learn offense from John Shoop? That explaination is even dumber than this article. Also how often at any level of football are plays executed "perfectly"?

If you consistently run into 8-9 man fronts your doing the football equivalent of banging your head into a wall. You'll be consistently in 2nd and long and 3rd and long and then what? You going to keep running Forte because maybe, possibly the offense could execute a "perfect" play and he'll break a long run? I bet you're a big lotto fan, aren't ya?

Please go sit back at the kiddy table, the grownups are talking.
1bearsfan

Pocatello, ID

#7 Oct 11, 2008
Da Church of Da Coach wrote:
<quoted text>
Who'd you learn offense from John Shoop? That explaination is even dumber than this article. Also how often at any level of football are plays executed "perfectly"?
If you consistently run into 8-9 man fronts your doing the football equivalent of banging your head into a wall. You'll be consistently in 2nd and long and 3rd and long and then what? You going to keep running Forte because maybe, possibly the offense could execute a "perfect" play and he'll break a long run? I bet you're a big lotto fan, aren't ya?
Please go sit back at the kiddy table, the grownups are talking.
I agree with you Da Church:The article is pretty bad.Forte has been earning respect & teams have geared to slow him.Most backs will have difficulty getting big yards against 8-9 man fronts.So it forces the Offense to throw,which we have done with success.The runs will come if we continue throwing the ball well.Forte is 4th in the NFL in yards from scrimmage & only 46 yards behind the player who is 1st.It is wise to get Kevin Jones worked in the line-up & get him some carries.It seems the Media always has to look for a negative,or try to create one.I think everyone thought we would totally stink on Offense coming into the season.We are actually quite impressive on "O" and we are improving each week.With our strong Defense,special teams & a surprisingly good Offense.We should be a dangerous team in the playoffs if we continue to improve.Take Care! God Bless. BEAR DOWN!! GO BEARS!!
Stratmaster

Cordova, TN

#8 Oct 12, 2008
This is the sillest article I have ever read. First, Forte broke a huge gainer his first game which inflates the YPC. He doesn;t need more, or less carries. We Bears fans are so desperate for offense that when he broke the run his first game he became the anointed savior. He does have an ability to slide through seams and has a burst, which makes him a little more dangerous than the average RB. He is a rookie RB with possibly slightly better than average skills for the pro level.
JCA

Abingdon, MD

#9 Oct 12, 2008
This is putting the cart before the horse: it's not that the average is up because they are running more. It is that they are running more because the game situation is allowing the running game to be more successful, hence the higher average.

What coach thinks, "Hrm....we're blowing their doors off at the line and getting success in the running game. Let's start passing and risk using up less clock time with stoppages at incomplete passes."

For further proof, as yourself, "How early in the game did Forte's BIG runs come against Indy?" A: They weren't in the carries that came after number 20.

Someone needs a lesson in statistical studies. Statistics don't lie, but once again, liars use statistics.
Stratmaster

Cordova, TN

#10 Oct 12, 2008
A couple of interesting stats. Forte is 35th of 42 qualifying RB's in YPC. If you take away the one long run (I know, I know, that's not fiar, but "Bear" with me here)he would be last in the NFL in YPC. 42nd out of 42nd. I'm not dissing Forte. Just saying that articles like this should not even be written after game 5 about about a rookie RB who had one great game. The kid looks like he has desire, some skills and can be a serviceable RB. Looks like he can do some damage catching passes out of the backfield. Lets not turn him into another Rex or Ced or Bradley by putting expectations at a level he can never meet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brandon Lloyd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is This the Beginning of the End for New Englan... (Jan '14) Mar '14 Janitor 40
News 5 things to know from Patriots' 23-3 win over Bucs (Sep '13) Sep '13 Janitor 10
News Lions vs. Patriots: Five Questions with Musket ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Mensans for Brady 7
News Are the Patriots in Danger? (Jul '13) Jul '13 Mensa6 2
News McDaniels working with young Patriots receivers (Jul '13) Jul '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News 5 Irreplaceable Players For The New England Pat... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Laughing Bear Fan 2
News Tom Brady will have to adjust to new corps of r... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
More from around the web