No cause for optimism with Bears

No cause for optimism with Bears

There are 52 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 4, 2008, titled No cause for optimism with Bears. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Would you like the doom first and the gloom second, or would you prefer it the other way around? The two are so closely associated, it's like trying to remove an old city sticker from a windshield.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
randy

Saint Anthony, IA

#1 Sep 4, 2008
You should be fired, Any newspaper that would let you write such a neg. article before game one of the season has issues. What is Ortens record as a starter? You probably dont even know. All anyone wants to do is down grade a team that is two years removed from a super bowl. What would please you. Everybody bashes Angelo, Tell me Mr. Sportswriter what % of number one picks make it in this league? You would be shocked. Its about 20%. I love the bears, this is much better then the nineties,
Crankbait

United States

#2 Sep 4, 2008
That was a pretty weak article. How fashionable to repeat the same opinion over and over in these articles. We honestly do not know what we have in Forte yet but already it seems classier than Benson, Enis, or Salaam. I would rather give him the benefit of the doubt.

Can't argue with the fact it does not look good, but would wait until week 3 or four before bringing out the bash hammer.
Brian

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Sep 4, 2008
your an idiot and it's beyond me how you have a job still. It's preseason genius! When I read this article as well as other you are a pathetic writer and when the Bears go on a winning streak you'll be singing a different tune as usual. I pray I run into someday because I will punch you in the face
saint

Chandler, AZ

#4 Sep 4, 2008
Brian - I hate to side with Morrissey, but.....

Preseason records absolutely DON'T count, but preseason subtleties DO. Like, did the first unit defense shut down the 2nd and 3rd string offenses of the opponent? Did the first unit offense have several (hell, any?) ball control scoring drives, with some nice 7 yard rushes for first downs, 20 yard sideline passes....no drops? If these things happen, the final score doesn't matter. If they don't, the final score still doesn't matter, but there is cause for pessimism.

I will watch every Bear game, and hope for the best....and be miserable until Wednesday after every Sunday when they lose. Not a fairweather fan, just a realist!
Mgray

United States

#5 Sep 4, 2008
The Bears will be lucky 2 get 4 wins this year.
curly

United States

#6 Sep 4, 2008
Morrissey's the king of negative now that Mariotti's gone. He gets his insight from reading Bear bloggers who watch a lot of TV.
allchifan

United States

#7 Sep 4, 2008
The Bear management team, and I laugh at even saying that, have created the Disaster of '08 in Chicago...I never trusted Lovie, and never will, Angelo is an idiot and our asst coaches are completely clueless.....It doesn't matter if Orton, Rex or Hanie are in there...we have nothing to throw to, nothing to block with and Forte is a second level back in the NFL...what a joke...and our defense is gone....we got whipped by San Fran, and every one else that wanted to run and throw at will..6 and 10 is a pipe dream....we will bring up the bottom of the pack and unless we fire Angelo at the end of this season, he will have another high pick to blow.....fire everyone and if Phillips doesn't have the B*** to do it, fire him and start over...The fans of Chicago deserves better....
Mr Houston

Houston, TX

#8 Sep 4, 2008
You Bears fans are boobs. Why are you ripping on Morrisey for telling the truth? Even my lowly Texans could beat the Bears this year with one hand tied behind their backs. Hell, Mario Williams alone on defense would probably get 3 sacks in a game.
Dara Quinn

Bangkok, Thailand

#9 Sep 4, 2008
You were a mediocre player on your best days as a backup, but you can't even live up to that as a sports "writer", sitting there with your thesaurus trying to make people think you're gifted at something. Certainly didn't make the grade in the NFL. It's like you sat down and thought "I'm going to right a 100% negative 'article' so everybody talks about the '85 Bears again, where I made second string". Do we like our receiving corps of Booker, Hester, Davis and Lloyd ? Hell yeah - there's two good receivers and a speed merchant in that group. I'd swap Rideau for old man Booker though. But Morrisey, get fired man, get thee hence to endless night and darken not my doorway.
show me

Lincoln, NE

#10 Sep 4, 2008
how about them loser bears
Bill

United States

#11 Sep 4, 2008

Rick,... Your article is right on !

Sad but True

United States

#12 Sep 4, 2008
Bears are gonna get clobbered.
Philo

Palmetto, FL

#13 Sep 4, 2008
Expect every Orton fanatic (and I use that term the way it is used for religious suicide bombers) including your co-writer Haugh who seems to think Orton has become some football God, to tear you apart as they swaer Orton will lead this team to the promised land.

Any FA QB this offseason has had better numbers and would have better for us that Orton.

And the vaunted D? Sorry, but in the NFL, the offense has to score if your defense is going to allow others to score. This Bears D is not about to stop anyone from scoring. The same fanatics that wanted Orton and no one else as the starting Qb this year also believe he will continue to win because he was lucky enough to have been named the 'winner' in .667 of the games he started.

Forte may be good, but no one else listed above has shown the heart needed to take this team to the next level, and the ones with the heart don't have the ability.

Now be ready for the fanaticals to have their rant. You see 6 win,s I see 3. I picked the wrong year to pay for NFL total access it looks like.
Ratman Willy G

Redwood City, CA

#14 Sep 4, 2008
What is it with you sports reporter guys always wanting to predict gloom and doom in Chicago before the season even gets underway? Do you think it will make you appear smarter and more knowledgeable then us fans? Does it make you feel better to predict disaster? I just think it makes you appear to be bitter in some way towards the teams you constantly bash and put down.I don't know how you can walk down the street and not take a verbal tongue lashing from true fans. The Bears probably would not welcome you to Halas Hall,Soldier Field, or their locker room.I understand that you probably don't really care, and you're probably getting a good laugh out of all of this.The bears might well not be very good this season, then again they could step and be awesome as a team, It Happens! So Rick why don't you pack up your laptop and take your gloom and doom routine to another town, we don't need it.And if you don't and the Bears turn out to be good this season, don't be turning tail and jumpin on their coattails with positive spin stories that make you appear to be caught up in the excitement of their success, because you already chose your path to walk down, and I hope it turns out to be a lonely one for you!
Chuck D of Valpo

Valparaiso, IN

#15 Sep 4, 2008
I like to think that the Bears will suprise the sportswriters and critics this season. I also like to think that the White Sox and Cubs will play in the World Series. Just another Chicago fan who is a wishin' and a hoping. An upset of the Colts would get them off on the right foot. Taking Peyton Manning out during the National Anthem would help. What's a 15 yard penalty if they knock him out before he can throw a pass ?
FormerChicagoan

Houston, TX

#16 Sep 4, 2008
Mr Houston wrote:
You Bears fans are boobs. Why are you ripping on Morrisey for telling the truth? Even my lowly Texans could beat the Bears this year with one hand tied behind their backs. Hell, Mario Williams alone on defense would probably get 3 sacks in a game.
I'm a lifelong Bears fan and likely your neighbor but I have to disagree with your assesment. The Texans are far from lowly this year. They have a good chance to go to the playoffs. The Bears on the other hand have no chance in hell. Won't stop me cheering for my Bears!

Since: Aug 08

Redgranite, WI

#17 Sep 4, 2008
rick has always been a moron!!! get a ride with marriotti out of town you chump!!this is the jag that wrote the same article the year before the bears went to the super bowl and were 11-5!!hey rick the cinci bungals could use another writer like [email protected]*k lick!!

Since: Dec 07

United States

#18 Sep 4, 2008
The '85 Bears are history, as is the bunch from '05. Live in denial if you want to, but this group ain't got the chops. This team won't get a whiff of .500 after Sunday night.

Go Blackhawks!
Paul

San Antonio, TX

#19 Sep 4, 2008
Another former Chicagoan (stuck in Dallas)... I think 6-10 is a fair assessment. Won't stop me from watching/listening to them.
Alex

Chicago, IL

#20 Sep 5, 2008
Morissey, you being too nice to the munsters of the midway..........

Lovie the Mope and Jerry the Dope had a whole year to fix the OL and they sat on their squash. These two trainees are clueless!

Last year's #2&3 draft picks are gone and the other #3 the mini-rb should have been cut too. Those 3 picks could have been spent on offensive linemen

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brandon Lloyd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is This the Beginning of the End for New Englan... (Jan '14) Mar '14 Janitor 40
News 5 things to know from Patriots' 23-3 win over Bucs (Sep '13) Sep '13 Janitor 10
News Lions vs. Patriots: Five Questions with Musket ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Mensans for Brady 7
News Are the Patriots in Danger? (Jul '13) Jul '13 Mensa6 2
News McDaniels working with young Patriots receivers (Jul '13) Jul '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News 5 Irreplaceable Players For The New England Pat... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Laughing Bear Fan 2
News Tom Brady will have to adjust to new corps of r... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
More from around the web