UConn Seeded Fourth In West Regional,...

UConn Seeded Fourth In West Regional, Will Play San Diego

There are 25 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 17, 2008, titled UConn Seeded Fourth In West Regional, Will Play San Diego. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

"My stomach was churning," Calhoun said. The Huskies have known for some time that they would be participating in this year's NCAA Tournament , so any anticipation had only to do with details - opponent, site, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CT AAU D1 Coach

Hartford, CT

#1 Mar 17, 2008
A great seed. Now, they must play together as a team with the type of passion and effort many of us witnessed in several post-season championshis this past week-end. I hope they witnessed the passion and desire carved all over the players and teams that competed this week-end. The time has come to demonstrate just how good this group of Huskies knowing it is single elimination - once and done. All those close BE wars should serve as a real benefit. Prediction - Sweet sixteen.. outside chance at Elite 8.

GOOD LUCK. WE WILL BE ROOTING YOU ON.
PASTA PETE

Saint Petersburg, FL

#2 Mar 17, 2008
COME ON DOWN BOYS WE HERE IN THE TAMMPA AREA LOVE UCONN. REMEMBER THE FIRST DREAM WAS DONE DOWN HERE IN 1999. SO WHY NOT START HERE? GO HUSKIES
ggg

Garden City, NY

#3 Mar 17, 2008
If Calhoun knows whats best, he benches Dyson. Only bring him in if Austrie goes ice cold. This team has not been clicking when Dyson is on the floor. Austrie has earned the spot alongside Price. Don't break up bad chemistry. I'd love to say this team can go far...but they are just missing "it", and by "it" I mean adjusting on the fly, swagger, mental toughness and a center who can't handle a ball on the offensive end to save his life.
Love ya Thabeet...but you need another year at the college level. He plays hot potato with the ball when they feed him inside. If they return everyone next year...its a potential NCAA championship team.
keith

Baltimore, MD

#4 Mar 17, 2008
Stanley, your time has arrived. Let's do this.
Huskies2324

Durham, NC

#5 Mar 17, 2008
The WVU loss will end up serving as a huge wake-up call!! UConn will get back to being monsters on the boards and will play crazy man-to-man D to lock down these next two opponents. If they do that the score will take care of itself.

Lets just hope the officiating in the tournament does not overly penalize the style of play that the Big East teams are used to (it will be a factor, just hopefully not too much so). I am a bit worried that Thabeet and Adrien could get into foul trouble quickly if we get some touchy refs. Plus Calhoun is going to have to really watch himself...BE refs have come to "understand" and put up with Calhoun's way of working but refs from other conferences will not be so accomodating (remember the Gonzaga game earlier in the year in Boston?). I undertand the "us againt them" mentality helps to focus the team, but you don't have to go picking any fights. I know this all sounds like a set up for an an excuse for a loss but, in my opinion, this is the only thing that I think could really derail UConn in these next two games.

Top to bottom, the whole team has to focus on being relentless on the defensive side of the ball as these mid-major teams are just going to be bombing 3s from the outside since they won't have the size or quickness to deal with UConn in the paint. If we let another player have a carrer night shooting from the outside I am going to throw up.
Mike

United States

#6 Mar 17, 2008
Does anyone know what has happened to Tabeet the last several games?
dewcooljohn

South Windsor, CT

#7 Mar 17, 2008
And again Price has his mouth running. I watched San Diego play last week and UConn better not look at this first game as a warm up or they will be home sooner then later. I still don't see them getting any further then the second round.
Southwest Florida Husky

Fort Myers, FL

#8 Mar 17, 2008
'ggg' is right. Sit Dyson down (or send him out for cognac) and let the guys who won ten in a row keep working.
high uconn fans

Lithia Springs, GA

#9 Mar 17, 2008
Uconn fans must be drinking some cognac too. Even if you beat SD, you cannot, absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to beat Drake. 2 things uconn can't do, defend the 3 or shoot the 3. You need both to win and move on in BE tourney. Hello, anybody out there?

Now all of a sudden, uconn has found a way to play defense on hot shooting 3 pt teams? Or they have found a way to clamp down on a Alexander type of scorer? Who is uconn's defensive stopper? Yeah, that's right, they don't have anyone. I'm not sure if it's more humiliating to lose to SD or lose badly to Drake. I'd prefer they get blown out by 25 against Drake since they can't play defense(block shots doesn't count as good defense as Thabeet is often out of position so many other times)

Oh yes, let's live in the past and the road to glory going through the West. Well, you still need good defense, timely 3 point shots, and a good point guard. Everyoone knows price may play well if he he keeps his mouth shut but it is more lkiely tyhat he will say something andd then lay an egg. Ricky Moore he is not.

So keep talking about your glorious past uconn fans but it will not do you any good as Drake, maybe SD, will put an end to your season.

Maybe Geno can teach some of those loud mouth, over hyped "team" players how to play defense or shoot 3's?
Jacques Strappe

United States

#10 Mar 17, 2008
Just make sure Coach Calhoun has them all in by curfew, or their frigging screwed.
Mike McManus

West Newton, MA

#12 Mar 17, 2008
As I watched NC, Clemson, GA, KS, and TX, I said to myself...can you envision this UCONN team beating any of the above? Honestly, I could not. They all played with such passion and tenacity, and all loved to drive and kick out to waiting 3-point shooters, which is UCONN's achilles heal!! I do hope they prove me wrong!
GO SAN DIEGO

United States

#13 Mar 17, 2008
A top ranked private school. Probably has a poor graduation rate on Basketball players. Even Gonzaga was only 35%.
UConn follower

Farmington, NH

#14 Mar 17, 2008
I've got confidence in you Rome- Good Luck in the tournament- when you get your chance, just be yourself and shine- good things await- Go Huskies
Dickey V

United States

#15 Mar 17, 2008
He shoots. He scores.
huffs

Dilley, TX

#16 Mar 17, 2008
Can we lose the "laptop" references - I agree with "high Uconn fans" in the fact that we can not look at past glory - this team only saw that on TV. In the same respect, the laptop incident, as well as Dougie & Jerome's youthful indiscretion are also behind us. Lets get down to playing ball! I disagree with "high" regarding our lack of a stopper however - Thabeet is just about the best defensive big man in the country, and he is still learning how to play. He definitely needs another year of college ball. These first 2 rounds will hinge on the play of Price, Austrie & Robinson...If they are focused we should singing in the sweet 16...
Huskies2324

Durham, NC

#17 Mar 17, 2008
Oh there he is...our friend from Atlanta (or the Piggly Wiggly, I am not really sure) with the erudite commentary.

No way UConn beats Drake...a bit premature (like other elements of your life, no doubt) but lets look at that anyway shall we...

Drake - 2008 Season
Avg Points per game 73
3pt% 37%(294/798)
Rebounds 1088 (708 def & 380 off)
Blocks 81

UConn - 2008 Season
Avg Pts per game 78
3pt% 36%(165/459)
Rebounds 1341 (908 def & 433 off)
Blocks 281

...so Drake shoots a whopping one percentage point better per game from 3pt-land than UConn and still averages fewer points per game. But that's okay, because if the 3-pointers are not falling for Drake, they can always fall back on their stellar rebounding and shot-blocking...uh, oh wait, no that's not right either.

Well, still...Drake has really primed themselves by playing the likes of Illinois State, Southern Illinois, Creighton, Northern Iowa...Butler is a good win, I will give you that). Good teams, sure, and just a smidge below the likes of Pitt, Marquette, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Louisville, Indiana (hmmm, odd?? are all of these teams in the tournament??).

Well still, Drake wins because AJ Price is talking, and UConn has 2 National titles and 6 Big East Tournamnet titles, and, and, and.. why Piggly Wiggly boy keeps refering to UConn's historical accomplishments when no else had made any mention of it I will never know.

No way UConn beats Drake...Yes, compelling argument for sure.
gps

Hudson, NH

#18 Mar 17, 2008
The guy from Atlanta does not like to thinka about UConn's past. Hmmm.... wonder why? Could it have anything to do with Georgia Tech?

I feel really good about this seeding. I think they get by the first two games: the first, fairly easily, the second, a bit more difficult. I think that they can beat UCLA: UConn always plays up to its competition (and sometimes plays down too--but after the BE Tourny, not in the first two games).

I would love to see another Duke/UConn matchup. Duke is very vulnerable--they lost to Clemson--but I do expect them to be in the 4th bracket.

I'm really psyched for a great March!

GO HUSKIES!!!!!
Higher UCONN

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Mar 17, 2008
The guy from Atlanta is probably not really from Atlanta.
He works in receiving for Home Depot and since he's using his store computer it comes up showing the corporate headquarters address.
Sure makes you wonder about some of these dolts who get on a blog for a team they don't like and make all kinds of half-baked remarks.
What's the problem? No friends, so why not make a few more enemies?
Or, just a disgruntled fan of some other team that's never won anything so why not get on someone else's case to have some fun?
maddya

Lebanon, CT

#20 Mar 17, 2008
ggg wrote:
If Calhoun knows whats best, he benches Dyson. Only bring him in if Austrie goes ice cold. This team has not been clicking when Dyson is on the floor. Austrie has earned the spot alongside Price. Don't break up bad chemistry. I'd love to say this team can go far...but they are just missing "it", and by "it" I mean adjusting on the fly, swagger, mental toughness and a center who can't handle a ball on the offensive end to save his life.
Love ya Thabeet...but you need another year at the college level. He plays hot potato with the ball when they feed him inside. If they return everyone next year...its a potential NCAA championship team.
YesSssss!!!!!!!!!! so very, very very true. too bad it'll never happen. he (dyson) is The Chosen One. for what reason, i'll never know.
Huskies2324

Durham, NC

#21 Mar 17, 2008
Higher...yeah, you are probably right, the dude is likely not from Atlanta (I'm not in Durham but I seem to have a cookie that tells this message board that I am). Still, it appears to me that this guy does work at a Piggly Wiggly (you know, those 7-11 type places that are littered all over the south). The guys that work there always have those freakish blue or red colored lips form sucking on the tap of the ICEE machines all day trying to get a brain freeze and then go on-line trying to type intelligent comments on message boards…great work if you can get it.

Oh boy…I crack myself up…almost as funny as those laptop jokes…almost, but not quite.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brandon Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Huskies ousted in 1st round by San Diego (Mar '08) Mar '08 BptHoops 9
News Huskies ousted in 1st round (Mar '08) Mar '08 rick 9
News San Diego Defeats UConn; Price Injures Knee (Mar '08) Mar '08 New York huskie 1
News Parker Lifts Vols Over Blue Devils (Jan '08) Jan '08 parker 1
News Home Fans Boo As 'Cats' Sink To New Depths (Jan '08) Jan '08 devon 5
News Cardinals sign Okobi (Sep '07) Sep '07 Doublebulldog 1
More from around the web