Thomas gets 1-year deal from Cowboys

Thomas gets 1-year deal from Cowboys

There are 66 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Feb 23, 2008, titled Thomas gets 1-year deal from Cowboys. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Former Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas is going home. Thomas, a Pampa, Texas , native and Texas Tech grad, signed a one-year, $3 million deal Saturday to play for the Dallas Cowboys , the team he grew up ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jason Taylor

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1 Feb 23, 2008
Tony Sparano makes me nervous.

“The Best Is Yet To Come...”

Since: Jan 07

South Florida

#2 Feb 23, 2008
Jason's not going anywhere. At least, not immediately.

And it's karma that Zach goes to the Cowboys. After all, we raided their shelves. And seeing Zach in a Cowboys uniform is something I can handle (especially since he'll never be a Patsies*, thank God). It's highly unlikely he'd ever face his former team (Miami just played the NFC East, the rotation doesn't take us back there for a while), unless they meet in the Super Bowl. Do the math on THAT one.

Good luck, Zach. You'll give me a reason to watch the Cowboys for a change, cause usually I can't stand them. But being out of our conference, I can make an exception here and there.
azz

United States

#3 Feb 24, 2008
Hope they get a superbowl for him! I am now a Cowboys fan!

“Displaced Raven Fan”

Since: Sep 07

Silver Spring,Md

#6 Feb 24, 2008
Good for you, Zach.
xDolfan

Boca Raton, FL

#7 Feb 24, 2008
Good Luck Zack! I'll be pulling for you as always. I hope the very best for you and your family.
rod

Silver Spring, MD

#8 Feb 24, 2008
Zach Thomas the best ever. Best wishes. Now as for the fins are concerned, I've always thought Parcells is overrated. I have question some of their moves, most recently Thomas, but now reading they have not had talks with Y.Bell just reaffirms my thinking on Parcells and Ireland. I don't think they will build a championship caliber team. I think the fins should have hired a new coach and kept Mueller.
Mike D

Germantown, TN

#9 Feb 24, 2008
This also shows how much class Zach has to the fans. He could have signed with the Pats, who may have a better chance at the Super Bowl then the Cowboys...
Mike D

Germantown, TN

#10 Feb 24, 2008
rod wrote:
Zach Thomas the best ever. Best wishes. Now as for the fins are concerned, I've always thought Parcells is overrated. I have question some of their moves, most recently Thomas, but now reading they have not had talks with Y.Bell just reaffirms my thinking on Parcells and Ireland. I don't think they will build a championship caliber team. I think the fins should have hired a new coach and kept Mueller.
Why do you think that? Because they released Zach? Zach is great, but he is older, costs a lot, and has concussion issue. Time for this team to get younger, cheaper, and faster NOW. This was a great move for the team and for Zach.

This cleaning house MUST be done.
DolFanNBrevard

Winter Haven, FL

#11 Feb 24, 2008
In a poor free agent season why do the Dolphins want so much room under the cap? Not a criticism but an actual question. We do have to field a team and isn't possible that a team filled with rookies and other team's rejects might actually be worse than what we had last year? If, as many of us believe, that coaching was a big problem last year, then doesn't it go that maybe the players were not as bad as we think? Just asking questions.
Best of Luck

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#12 Feb 24, 2008
Hope you win a title with them. You are definitely one of those class acts that deserves the best. I hope it all works out for you!
PhillyMike

United States

#13 Feb 24, 2008
This was a good deal for Zach, but what about the Dolphins? If middle linebackers are going to be scarce in the free agency market why couldn't the Dolphins get at least a late round draft pick for Thomas? While he is old and has health issue the same could have been said for Trent Green last year and Zach had 2 offers with at least one more visit scheduled (i.e., New Orleans) so there was some interest in him.
Court Jester

Boca Raton, FL

#14 Feb 24, 2008
Good Luck Zach. Hope you stay healthly and get the big ring at the end of next season.

Since: Jan 08

Ft. Laud

#15 Feb 24, 2008
rod wrote:
The guy tore his friggin Achilles Tendon. Do you have any idea how bad that injury is? We have other options at that position.

Interesting little sidenote that Hadnot will NOT be back according to his agent. This is quite an overhaul.
Roger

AOL

#16 Feb 24, 2008
Congratulations Zach. You finally made it to the NFL...haha
NFLfan

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

#17 Feb 24, 2008
What a shame that pathetic team called the fried fish could not even come up with a deal for Zach....
His presense in the locker room alone was worth that 3 mil...Know matter what anybody says ..veteran leaderchip is critical on any team especially this one filled with only a bunch of young or useless players.
The fried fish wasted his career, may be releasing him could be regarded later at some form of payback to a useless organization
Roger

AOL

#18 Feb 24, 2008
Well, now we're 90 million under the cap. If we cut a few more players we can just disolve the team...haha
NFLfan

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

#19 Feb 24, 2008
Mike D wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think that? Because they released Zach? Zach is great, but he is older, costs a lot, and has concussion issue. Time for this team to get younger, cheaper, and faster NOW. This was a great move for the team and for Zach.
This cleaning house MUST be done.
"Time for this team to get younger, cheaper, and faster ."
Easier said than done . Even if it is done you still need this kind of veteran leadership in the lockeroom.
Great move by the Fins...I seriously doubt that.
Cleaning house does not mean getting rid of the rare positive assetsvyou have left.
I would not be surprised if Zach was the one actually you was fed up with the garbage and refuse to rengociate his contract with the fish while doing it with somebody else.

Since: Jan 08

Ft. Laud

#20 Feb 24, 2008
DolFanNBrevard wrote:
In a poor free agent season why do the Dolphins want so much room under the cap? Not a criticism but an actual question. We do have to field a team and isn't possible that a team filled with rookies and other team's rejects might actually be worse than what we had last year? If, as many of us believe, that coaching was a big problem last year, then doesn't it go that maybe the players were not as bad as we think? Just asking questions.
I have the same questions. I'm guessing it's just because they want bigger guys, plus the fact that Zach had injury issues.

Since: Jan 07

Cocoa Fl

#21 Feb 24, 2008
I'm all for upgrades. Younger, bigger and maybe cheaper. Does this mean we'll draft/FA a LB? Or does this mean Parcells & company think that Channing Crowder can stay healthy and make an impact?

Guess we'll have to wait for the answer.
Chris

Pompano Beach, FL

#22 Feb 24, 2008
Fair Hooker wrote:
That is a very good deal for Thomas. If he plays beyond this year it will be a miracle due to the brain injury problem so he should keep his home around here where he will probably come back and challenge for a radio job against some of the pathetic local radio sports people given Zach's personality and the lousy state of the sports radio in South Florida. There is only so much Joe Rose virus that a community should be subjected to.
Let's see Rose, Mandich and Cefalo. There goes a professional broadcasting team if I ever saw one. One to match the great doings of Cameron and his team last year.
Imagine a place where Stu Gotz is able to have a radio show in the afternoon during rush hour (he and LeBatard surely have photos of someone doing the nasty). And then there is another radio host that talks about "the broads and green lizards" and another one that spends most of his time talking about his New York teams even though he is in this market for several years. PATHETIC. Hopefully Zach can get a radio show with his personality and inject some Texas flavor to the predominant East Coast New York jibe that goes on around here with great excess.
In any case, Zach is in a probable playoff team and now he can finally get the privilege of being a teammate of the great Terrell Owens (gulp gulp) and I suspect that those two will have a go at each other before Zach goes away. I hope Zach might grab him by the throat once or twice.
BUT IMAGINE A GUY THAT HAS CONCUSSION INJURIES AND IS 35 YEARS OLD AND STILL CAN MAKE 1 MILLION AT LEAST PLUS INCENTIVES... not bad... that is a good deal for him who should also consider retirement right away if he gets scrambled eggs in the brain one more time. VERY DANGEROUS BUSINESS FOR HIM TO PLAY AGAIN AFTER SO MANY COLLISIONS.
Well, aren't you just a sarcastic ray of sunshine

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bradie James Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dan Connor, Brodney Pool Added To The Growing D... (Mar '12) Nov '14 Flatulence Fred 4
News Texans coach Kubiak concerned as injuries mount (Dec '12) Jul '13 Frank Phartz 2
News The Linc - TO Blames Romo For His Cowboys Exit (Apr '12) Apr '12 Ice Cream Man 2
News Dallas Cowboys' Talent Evaluation Poor Since Bi... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Anonymous 1
News Season Wrap Up Part 1: Dallas Cowboys Myths Deb... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Rob Stinks 2
News Everything's On the Line for Cowboys Defense (Dec '11) Jan '12 Mit Wobet 4
News Eagles plan to 'overwhelm' Romo (Oct '11) Oct '11 Canfarts 5
More from around the web