Should I Stay Or Should I Go?: Packers Free Agents

Jan 17, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Acme Packing Company

The offseason is upon us, and that means there's another crop of guys whose contracts have expired.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

GO
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Go
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Bears f ing suck, should be cryin bear fan!
normallylikeyell ow

Clarion, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Wow, this dude hates Erik Walden. I wonder how he feels about Nick Perry, who Walden beat out ? He (also beat out Brad Jones the year before--short memory, I guess. Crabtree ise the most likely to be retained on this list, and maybe one of the special teamers (Francois would get my vote). We can draft better backers--and we got backs and corners. We need people who can block and tackle.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

I tried to pullup the article but for some reason the darn thing wont come up.
I hope TT plays the build from the inside and work your way out.Especially this year.Upgrade at Center and LT ( if they can find one) and add a passrusher who can play the run with some speed on the Dline to compliment Raji.I wonder how or if Josh Miller will make the roster next year,6 1 300+ NT off the Bears practice squad i believe,so at least Raji gets some breaks.I thought Daniel Muir should have made the roster a few times,got cut and signed with someone else.Last year esp.Muir did more then ok in camp but for some reason TT and MM cut him and they didnt really find a good backup for Raji. Mike Daniels ( 4th of 5th rounder from Iowa) did ok early but seemed to tail off toward the end and i guess as a rookie you can excuse it to a certain extent.The dud hates Erik Walden? He wasnt bad,nor was he great either but i expect Nick Perry to win the spot opposite Clay and that will add some speed to the LB corp
Reggie12-6

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Mike Francessa from WFAN in ny said it best today when a caller asked him about how green bay can get back to being a super bowl caliper team?
Mikes answer-rebuild the o line because if rodgers keeps getting pounded he will be severely injured in the near future.He needs time to set up and find his targets.No one not even tom brady gets more hurried and threatened than aaron rodgers.Francessa then commented on the defense saying some players arent good enough to get to that level(super bowl).
I totally agree with francessa on this.He didnt get into specifics on who should be cut but his opinion on the situation was right.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

GB needs a different LT and an upgrade at Center.Bulaga seems to be on the road to recovery for his RT spot ( or a competition with Barclay)vanRoten can play Guard or Center to go up againt Evan DS ( after Saturday got benched,EDS did improve that position) and maybe he will play well next year,,BUT, we have to hope Sherrod is ready at LT,Datko proves his shoulder healthy and packed on a few LB of muscle and is ready to play LT, Chad Clifton after 1 year off is healthy again and wants to play LT for a few years in the NFL,They sign Jake Long ( or franchise Greg Jennings and trade him to Miami for Long,since Jennings will end up there anyway with coach Phillbin and the teams can exchange draft picks there as well) OR sign Long as a FA ( if he isnt franchised) OR the last resort,Find a LT in the draft ( i dont think there will be a 1st rounder there at 26 UNLESS TT would take a LT who is projected 2nd rounder with a late 1st round pick,which I would not be opposed to) ( then again, im not the GM so my approval doesnt mean squat ,just saying).GB NEEDS Bishop to be 100 healthy and ready to go,Perry to improve ( like good players do from yr 1 to yr 2) and there is 2 spots we have majorly improved compared to the end of the season and esp vs teams like SF with a quicker QB and Since GB plays Philly,( Vick) Washington ( RG III ) SF ( Kapernek) NYG ( E.Manning), Baltimore,Pittsburgh,Cin, GB will be playing some fast,physical, mobile type qb,s OR very good qbs next season,( and i didnt include our division of course)..SO its important GB finds another DE who can stop the run and pass rush ( compliment to Raji) ANOTHER ILB ( next to Bishop) and im hoping a bigger safety ( although Sean Richardson should fit that bill) ( watch, he just had some back surgery though) and a big back ( to complaiment DuJuan Harris,Alex Green) would be good as well and hopefully the kid can play FB and we can save some cash by replacing Kuhn.Id love to know why GB cut Vonta Leach as well.We dont need a 6 ft or so 260-270Lb FB who can block,,run decently well and even catch a few passes.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Not that i take alot of what Bleacher Report says as Gospel but an interesting Mock Draft pick has GB taking a 6 7, 310 guard from i believe Utah or Utah state,( somewhre out there,im trying to find the draft again)i looked him up and it seemed like an interesting pick to say the least.
REGGIE,,did you read where Devin Hester wants out of Chicago? guess hes tired of losing.He was going to retire if Lovie was fired,but, he still has a few years left in him he thinks but not interested in WR..Interesting,Chi brings in this CFL coach who is an offensive minded coach with some NFL experience ( one would think Hester would be psyched about this) but Hester wants out of Chicago. Problem is Hester isnt the punt returner he once was since teams have figured out shorter punts take him out of that nad Kickers put ball out of the end zone keeping Hester from returning them as well.Hester sucks as a WR and is almost Neutral as a returner since the whiner cant drive the Bears offense vs teams with winning records or good defenses,so you kick a nice chip 37 yard punt,make Hester fair catch it nd let the Whiner beat you and he proved he cant.I love Hester as a returner but again if kickers put the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs and punters hang shorter punts and he cant return them either hes neutralized.Hester on a good offensive team would be a killer since you dont want to give the ball to a good Offense on a shorter field like they do now vs the Whiner and Co. so that makes me wonder if Hester has any confidence in the new coach,coaching staff and the new offense? Of did he love Lovie Smith that much that he cant play in Chicago anymore hes so pissed Lovie got fired. Something for Bears fans to watch.D.H. is a big cap number,so that would help Chicago HUGE to unload that cap and open up that cap space.
normallylikeyell ow

Clarion, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

eric, are you talking about Sam Brenner of Utah? Hmm... Don't know him. Don't know why you'd take a guard when someone like DJ Fluker, who'd likely be there at 26 and plays tackle. Justin Pugh was impressive in the Senior Bowl (another G) and he'd probably be around for a late 2nd, early 3rd kind of pick.
Recent history doesn't suggest that they'll franchise Jennings. Devin Hester doesn't know how good he has it. No one else is going to pay him what the Bears do. The guy's had years to learn a position (on both sides of the ball) and hasn't done it.'Speaks to a lack of dedication. I'd take Julian Edelmann any day over him--the guy plays both ways and returns kicks--effectively.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

IM not saying we should sign Hester,Especially for 10M,i just find it funny that Teams NOW will start kicking to him since ( in theory) Chi hired an offensive minded coach ( instead of short kicks to eliminate Hester return game and give the whiner a short field,since he can drive Chi offense) and Hester wants out of Chicago.The resident whiner is laughing that Jennings wants out of GB,( since Jennings thinks he will get 12-13M and he may,but, not from GB since GB has a ton of WR).
The guy i read about was a 6t round pick ( again,icant remember the guys name but his size was impressive and from what ive read,it may be a nice move) and with his size ect he may be a nice depth pick and at 6 6 or 6 7 he just may be a tackle who knows.IT may be another Adam Timmerman type pick,an effective player from a smaller school and lesser known type player.Just a thought as we have seen a few injuries and guard playing tackle or center ect.
normallylikeyell ow

Clarion, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Sounds like Brenner--I do know he's oversized for a guard, but I haven't seen him play. BTW I didn't think you were pushing Hester. I was just commenting on how foolish he sounds right now.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Brenner doesnt ring a bell ( see the guy is so freaking good, i cant remember his name,so maybe it was a bad idea hah?:)
anyway.
The NYG released Michael Bolley today. we need LB with speed, i dont know maybe?
We need to get faster and tougher so Desmond Bishop ( if healthy) should really help out as well as Nick Perry being back..So thats 2 players almost added to the team seeing neither played much last year.
If i can think or run into the guy name ill let you know..
I do remember he was 6 6 or 6 7 around 310 or so and i looked up his bio and sounded decently impressive and for some stupid reason i thought of Adam Timmerman.
Timmerman wasnt nearly as tall or whatever,but, both are guards from lesser known schools and 6th round picks ( assuming TT listens to bleacher and again i dont take to much stock in Bleacher but..just for conversation ).
Also reading this morning the Packers MAY move Don Barclay ( keep him) at RT and move Bulaga to LT.My first thought was didnt we try that before we moved him to RT..OR does the power that be think a few years at RT and experience make him better prepared for LT,although they are both different positions
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

normallylikeyellow wrote:
eric, are you talking about Sam Brenner of Utah? Hmm... Don't know him. Don't know why you'd take a guard when someone like DJ Fluker, who'd likely be there at 26 and plays tackle. Justin Pugh was impressive in the Senior Bowl (another G) and he'd probably be around for a late 2nd, early 3rd kind of pick.
Recent history doesn't suggest that they'll franchise Jennings. Devin Hester doesn't know how good he has it. No one else is going to pay him what the Bears do. The guy's had years to learn a position (on both sides of the ball) and hasn't done it.'Speaks to a lack of dedication. I'd take Julian Edelmann any day over him--the guy plays both ways and returns kicks--effectively.
Bradon Hansen..OG Brigham Young...Thats the guy on the Bleacher Reoport
normallylikeyell ow

Clearfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

I looked him up. His brother-in-law must've been writing it. I don't see him on the invites to the Combine (or Brenner, for that matter) either. I've seen BYU play a couple of times, but I don't remember him. Check out Justin Pugh of Syacuse. He's a junior, very good at the SB, weighs 301 with a 6'5" frame, so he could add to that.
packerbacker-wic hita-ks

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Reggie12-6 wrote:
Mike Francessa from WFAN in ny said it best today when a caller asked him about how green bay can get back to being a super bowl caliper team?
Mikes answer-rebuild the o line because if rodgers keeps getting pounded he will be severely injured in the near future.He needs time to set up and find his targets.No one not even tom brady gets more hurried and threatened than aaron rodgers.Francessa then commented on the defense saying some players arent good enough to get to that level(super bowl).
I totally agree with francessa on this.He didnt get into specifics on who should be cut but his opinion on the situation was right.
Couldn't agree more, Reggie. For the Packers to get where they want to be, to me, are vast improvement to the o-line and quicker and more physical on the d-line and at linebacker. Several players will be coming back from injury and we will have to wait and see about their recovery. Jennings, Woodson and Finley may not be back next year which would free up some cap space. Rodgers nedds to be taken care of, salary wise, soon. We all know Ted likes to build through the draft. That being said, maybe it is time to look at free agency to get another pass rusher to take pressure off of Matthews, get a solid left tackle and an above average running back. I think the key to the Packers' offense is to get a running back and use him who can get the running game established. Sometimes I think McCarthy gets too pass happy. Most teams know by now that the Packers are a passing team first which allows them to pin their ears back and come after Rodgers. Either through the draft, free agency or trade I think it is essential for the Packers to get a running back who can carry the load and use the players they already have at that position as well. Defenses around the NFL have this offense figured out. With the supposed change we are seeing at the QB position in the NFL speed and quickness is also going to be a must on the defensive side of the football. While Hawk had a decent season with plays that came right at him he lacked in sideline to sideline pursuit and that will need to be addressed. Overall, this team needs to get quicker and more physical. Pretty tall order but, hopefully, it'll get done.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

Perry should help out.Hes quicker,faster and more athletic then either Jones or Walden so that should help,Bishop is quicker and nastier then what played,so that also should help, Terrell Manning played well in camp so i think he can help out as well.Theres 3 guys coming back who are prob. an improvement over what played last year,So IMO we can concentrate a bit more on both lines.I like DuJuan Harris as a back and we can find a big back late in the draft.If they improve the oline that will help the running game for sure.
I read where Bulaga may move to LT,i thought we tried that but maybe MM and TT fiqure with a few years under his belt it will work..Bulaga was stronger at Pass protection ( he needs that to protect AR) and Barclay did well in run blocking ( as proven by a bit better running game toward the end) but needs help pass blocking THATS WHERE Andrew Datko can come in handy.At 6 6 320 or so ( if the shoulder proves healthy) we have a late 1st round talent who we drafted in the 6th coming in and maybe Barclay moves to Center ( if TT can find a legit Center hes happy with)
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

Packers signed Kevin Hughes a 6 4 305lb from Southern Louisianna.He signed with STL as a street FA in July.THey tried out a Tackle from the CFL ( he was voted best Olineman in the Canadian league) but he failed the physical because of High blood pressure. so they are bringing in folks before the draft as well.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

Micah Johnson a 6 2 265lb LB from Kentucky 1 year vet was signed as well.
TT also signed the PRactice squad guys on to the roster,including BJ Coleman so maybe Rodgers has a backup or competition with Graham Harrell.although from what ive read,Coach Mc really like Harrell as a qb,so ill take his word for it,Coaches and GM do miss but they both have proven to be pretty damn good as judging qbs so he gets the benefit of the doubt.
I feel better with Harrell as a backup qb for 13 then i did for 12.He didnt prove a whole lot,but, an extra year on the roster,learning from Rodgers ect.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

Brandon Bostick, another P.S. player 6 2 245 TE from Newberry collage. He played through out the preseason and i was very impressed ( for what my opinion is worth) so heres to hoping the kid sticks and makes the roster,( especially if Andrew Quarrless isnt healthy enough)
Bigon

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

The packers should cut Woodson ,,Finley,, and Hawk,, sign Anthony Spencer move Perry to D end. The draft ,,best player available at TE,,ILB,,OR,,WR,, BIG run stuffer since 3 D linemen are free agents next year.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Brad Jones Discussions

Search the Brad Jones Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Minnesota Vikings 2014 opponent profile: Green ... Sun GBPfan 1
Tickets still available for Packers Tailgate To... Jun 20 Joe277 8
Ch-ch-changes? Not likely for Packers (Dec '13) Dec '13 Bobo 1
Packers defense struggles to overcome loss of S... (Nov '13) Nov '13 eric 3
Green Bay Packers: Could they win without Aaron... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Laughing Bear Fan 22
Green Bay Packers 'encouraged' by recent status... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Green Bay Packers: 'Next Man Up' (Oct '13) Oct '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••