Former Mayfield Trojan Darius Holland recalls two Super Bowls, cutthroat business of NFL

Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News

The last two times the Green Bay Packers played in the Super Bowl, a Mayfield High graduate was lining up at defensive tackle.
Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Feb 16, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Las Cruces Cheesehead

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2011

Thanks Darius!
Trojans or Packers you did green and gold good! I don't know or if it matters to you but every kid in Las Cruces that plays football at any level hopes to have the career you did. As a lifelong Packer fan and having attended Mayfield it was so cool to see you play for Mayfield and then make good with the Packers. You are an inspiration.
Was a fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2011

Judged:

He sucked. His big ass just took up space. As a kid, asked for a autogragh with no one around except my grandma and he said "no thanks". Most his his teamates ain't got much good to say about him. All they say is "we played with a superbowl champ. Watch the rival movie; "cruces divided" he f'd the whole thing up. Didn't even hook his family up. He'll be a broke ****** just like the rest of em if he ain't already. Even Gadsden would whoop his but, Loser! His mayfield team was the worst
true

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2011

Judged:

He hasn't given a damn thing back to local football. He has never put on any sort of camp or clinic for local kids. Urlacher is 10 times the player that Darius ever was, and Urlacher never forgot where he came from. He gives back to his community. You would think that he would come around and show the local kids his ring. I have to admit, he got it. However, if you watched him play, he got pancaked a lot. Look how many teams he played for......he was cut everywhere. What a waste!
Simply put

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

Judged:

Darius was a great high school kid. H eplayed hard and was a leader as well. He owes the community nothing. If he makes the decesion to not give you an autograph.. get over it. He gave all the kids at my school one and spent the day visiting them at White Sands, a place were he had gone to school.
Hope your doing well Darius.. and thanks for the memories.
TonyM

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

Judged:

When I moved to Las Cruces in the 90's, my nephew that played for MHS introduced Darius to me. I've always felt Darius was a great person inside. Everytime we would talk he was always respectful and polite. Yes, he was a marginal college and pro football player. But, he made it to D-1, a major bowl game, the NFL and 2 super bowls winning one, not many people can say that.
I hate this notion that professional athletes owe their so-called community something or should give back to the community. Most of the time the community is a bunch of leaches that probably ridiculed when you were younger. I could see him giving back to people from LCHS, I'm sure they were supportive of him while at MHS.
I've known plenty of professional athletes in my time some give some don't. It's a personal choice that they have a right to make. With that said I do feel they owe their parents a great deal. I know a particular former world champion boxer leave his mother in a project when he was making millions. How these types can live with themselves is beyond me.
Darius enjoy your life in Colorado and your work with the ministry. From looking at these post you obviously made the right choice not coming back to Las Cruces.
Pack

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

"ministry" ; well , good for him. Maybe he's proving to be a leader after all. But I've only heard negative things from his teamates and friends. I experienced his arrogance and watching the end of that documentary proved to be the same. I used to cheer while watching his games and think he was amazing. But his size was the only thing he had going for him. Especially arround here. I even watched his College and NFL games to cheer. He would enter on run downs to create a pile when he got pancaked.
true

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

TonyM wrote:
When I moved to Las Cruces in the 90's, my nephew that played for MHS introduced Darius to me. I've always felt Darius was a great person inside. Everytime we would talk he was always respectful and polite. Yes, he was a marginal college and pro football player. But, he made it to D-1, a major bowl game, the NFL and 2 super bowls winning one, not many people can say that.
I hate this notion that professional athletes owe their so-called community something or should give back to the community. Most of the time the community is a bunch of leaches that probably ridiculed when you were younger. I could see him giving back to people from LCHS, I'm sure they were supportive of him while at MHS.
I've known plenty of professional athletes in my time some give some don't. It's a personal choice that they have a right to make. With that said I do feel they owe their parents a great deal. I know a particular former world champion boxer leave his mother in a project when he was making millions. How these types can live with themselves is beyond me.
Darius enjoy your life in Colorado and your work with the ministry. From looking at these post you obviously made the right choice not coming back to Las Cruces.
Well when a kid asks for an autograph, then maybe he should oblige. Don't think there's many people trying to get his autograph. He sure was able to come back and have his face shown on The Cruces Divided video. You can do that, but not talk to those in the community. Fredd Young gives a lot to this community.
Jefe

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

Nice story!
I often wondered what happened to Darius when he called it a career.

I still remember being a senior in HS and having to play basketball against him.
He was a sophome but, he was already a man amongst boys!! This cat was good at everything he played.
Alien

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

You didn't include that he helped lose a Super Bowl with a flagrant face mask penalty in that last few minutes of the game.
Dawg fan

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

Judged:

I met Darius for the first time when he was a freshman in high school, and though he was a Mayfield athlete, he used to come play pickup games in the Cruces gym on Sundays. Always polite, always a gentle giant during that time, I appreciated the fact that at that time he didn't talk trash or think he was above the rest of the poeple he played with.

Haven't seen Darius or talked to him in a long while, but the idea that he owes something to the community here is silly. He owes something to the community where he lives now, which is all any of us on this earth can be asked to do.

Hope things are well with you, Darius. God Bless.
Go Packers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

Man, the HATERS are out in full force today. Congratulations Darius on all your blessings. I was a freshman when you were a senior at Mayfield. I always looked up to you and respected you. Keep your head up and keep doing what your doing!
Sawyer

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

true wrote:
He hasn't given a damn thing back to local football. He has never put on any sort of camp or clinic for local kids. Urlacher is 10 times the player that Darius ever was, and Urlacher never forgot where he came from. He gives back to his community. You would think that he would come around and show the local kids his ring. I have to admit, he got it. However, if you watched him play, he got pancaked a lot. Look how many teams he played for......he was cut everywhere. What a waste!
I never knew Darius, but i did play with Urlacher. I don't think you need to compare careers between Darius and Brian, Brian without question is the better ball player. But the reason for the love-affair with Brian is how quite and polite he is. He owes Lovington NOTHING, yet he goes to the community once a year and offers himself in any way that he can. He is not arrogant and he isn't better than anyone. Brian will be in the HoF for his contributions on the field. His offerings and behavior off the field is how he really is measured by anyone that knows him.
Morte

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

LC minutemen wrote:
he'll be hooked on crack and broke soon, just like all the other darkies
Then he'll join you and your friends. Hope y'all have a great time.
Pack

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

Go Packers wrote:
Man, the HATERS are out in full force today. Congratulations Darius on all your blessings. I was a freshman when you were a senior at Mayfield. I always looked up to you and respected you. Keep your head up and keep doing what your doing!
Go Packers!

I looked up to him too and always new he would do something with his body, but overall dissapointment
The Ministery of WE

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

It is just football, and a game, and it appears the game is played from the front office as opposed to the field when it reaches the level of the pro's.
Vee

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

Was a fan wrote:
He sucked. His big **** just took up space. As a kid, asked for a autogragh with no one around except my grandma and he said "no thanks". Most his his teamates ain't got much good to say about him. All they say is "we played with a superbowl champ. Watch the rival movie; "cruces divided" he f'd the whole thing up. Didn't even hook his family up. He'll be a broke ****** just like the rest of em if he ain't already. Even Gadsden would whoop his but, Loser! His mayfield team was the worst
We were 1988 State Champs!!! It sure would be interesting to hear your definition of "worst". LOL. Too damn funny!!
Lazy People Sux

Paradise Valley, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

Judged:

Darius, you don't owe anybody anything!! You are the one who worked your tail off to get where you got!! Sure some people may of helped you out and taught you some things, but you still don't owe them any money or anything else. Congratulations on all of your accomplishments, and especially in working in the ministry and giving Christ to all of those that you come into contact now!! Trojans for Life!!! Class of 95
and your point is

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

Judged:

Mary Catherine wrote:
Didn't know Darious, but I do know that his brother beat the living crap out out of his girlfriend, putting her in the hospital for several days one time. Nice family.
Stupid comment. I am sure you have some relatives who you don't want people judging you by, and I am even more sure that some of your relatives don't want people to judge them by the fact that you are related to them.

How about people being judged on their own merits, and not what their siblings, parents, cousins, etc. did?
Brushybill

San Rafael, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

The clods on this thread who cannot stand to see accolades to come to good people will always gripe about everything. It's the same six or seven people under multiple screen names. They can never accept anything positive. They have to tear down and rip apart. There always have been clods and always will be. Darius is great human being and a credit to this community.
true

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2011

Vee wrote:
<quoted text>
We were 1988 State Champs!!! It sure would be interesting to hear your definition of "worst". LOL. Too damn funny!!
Who was 1988 State Champs?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ben Roethlisberger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Watch Philadelphia Eagles vs Pittsburgh Steeler... 3 hr Ottoman ESPN 5
NFL Takeaways: Ben Roethlisberger Let Down by T... 7 hr Obriens Butt-Chin 1
Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 8.19.14 Wed Flatulence Fred 2
NFL roundup: League claims Rice message sent Aug 1 Janitor 2
Dalton expects big deal from Bengals Apr '14 Tigerpoop 1
Time for Steelers' Mike Tomlin to fire his two ... (Nov '13) Jan '14 Carl 4
2014 NFL Mock Draft: The Pittsburgh Steelers Se... (Jan '14) Jan '14 james F Ransey 1

Search the Ben Roethlisberger Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••