Forever Young: Del Norte's Hoffman to...

Forever Young: Del Norte's Hoffman to verbally commit to BYU

There are 38 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Jan 23, 2009, titled Forever Young: Del Norte's Hoffman to verbally commit to BYU. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

Thursday night wasn't all bad for Cody Hoffman. In fact, it was life-changing. Following his basketball team's hard-fought 45-43 loss to Arcata, the Del Norte senior went to dinner with a coach from BYU where ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tom

Mckinleyville, CA

#21 Jan 23, 2009
Most Valuable Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about? TS took it from there? They got a list, just like I got a list up here in Crescent City and they ran the list from the HDNC, GENIUS.
I agree Cody Hoffman is an outstanding player, but how can you be most valuable league player on a .500 team?
Without him they would have won 1 game.
The Loggers were 0-5 in their division.That's .000 %. They played 3 teams twice for 6 games against smaller schools in the west coast's only double round robin league format.Those 3 teams had a combined record of 12-18.Give me a break.
The whole league was weak and the MVP's both coming from Eureka just looked too cozy for me.Throw in the fact that both missed games and I'll willingly question that system.
The MVP's are both great athletes.Both college material in 2 sports at the next level.My complaints are not intended to take away from their successes.And I'll cheer and support them in the future.
Good Luck.
Dennis Barnett

United States

#22 Jan 23, 2009
SOUNDS LIKE HOFFMAN FIT IN PERFECTLY WITH THE FOCUS BRONCO AND HIS COACHES HAVE BEEN ZEROING IN ON FOR THE LAST YEAR OR 2 ....RECIVERS WITH AT LEAST 6-3 OR TALLER WITH SPEED.......LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING HIM SIGN AND GET INTO TOWN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.......
Warrior n Tiger territory

Arcata, CA

#23 Jan 23, 2009
<quoted text>
What are you talking about? TS took it from there? They got a list, just like I got a list up here in Crescent City and they ran the list from the HDNC, GENIUS.
I agree Cody Hoffman is an outstanding player, but how can you be most valuable league player on a .500 team?
Eureka's record was 6-5 because they played one more game than Del Norte 5-5.So if Del Norte had played one more game they had a .500 chance of going 6-5 too.
Hoffman is the people's MVP & obviously BYU's too.
neil tarpey

Mountain View, CA

#24 Jan 23, 2009
GOLDENBEAR wrote:
why no stroy on the kid from the VALLEY T/S reporters to scared to head up on the REZ?
First of all, congratulations once again to Cody Hoffman, for his hard work, great attitude and amazing football accomplishments. He has a very bright future at BYU.

As for "T/S reporters to scared to head up on the REZ", I know that I was glad to drive to the Valley to cover 2 Hoopa home varsity football games (St. Bernard's, McKinleyville) for the T-S. I know that T-S sports editor Ray Aspuria covered another Hoopa home game (Ferndale). By contrast, no ER sports reporters were at any of those games. I am grateful to Warrior Sanchez and Shelly Baldy for helping me out by letting me use their newspaper office to write my post-game story and e-mail it down to the T-S in time for the Friday night deadline. Speaking only for myself, today is the first I was aware of this young man who moved from Hoopa to Tennessee. I hope that this player, like Cody Hoffman, enjoys success at the collegiate level.
Steve Barber

Six Rivers Ntl Forest, CA

#26 Jan 23, 2009
neil tarpey wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking only for myself, today is the first I was aware of this young man who moved from Hoopa to Tennessee. I hope that this player, like Cody Hoffman, enjoys success at the collegiate level.
Neil, i talked with Warrior and thats how i found out about Nick White, he jsut learned of the kid himself about a week ago. Warrior just did a interview with him for a featured article in the Two Rivers Tribune for next week. I'll let him know of your gratitude, and wishes
DN Warrior Football Fan

Brookings, OR

#27 Jan 23, 2009
Way to go Cody!!!
Football Fan

Brookings, OR

#28 Jan 23, 2009
Congrats on 4 great years of High School Football!

Arcata, CA

#29 Jan 23, 2009
Does anybody know why the one MVP was not in uniform for the jamboree & the first game + used sparingly in the 2nd game?
Yes I know about the others shoulder.

Just the facts. Please.
ehs fan

Napa, CA

#30 Jan 23, 2009
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>Without him they would have won 1 game.
The Loggers were 0-5 in their division.That's .000 %. They played 3 teams twice for 6 games against smaller schools in the west coast's only double round robin league format.Those 3 teams had a combined record of 12-18.Give me a break.
The whole league was weak and the MVP's both coming from Eureka just looked too cozy for me.Throw in the fact that both missed games and I'll willingly question that system.
The MVP's are both great athletes.Both college material in 2 sports at the next level.My complaints are not intended to take away from their successes.And I'll cheer and support them in the future.
Good Luck.
When DN played EHS what was the outcome? Head to head stats, which player had more receptions, tds and yards? As you mentioned, Allen missed two games and still had more. Another excuse you use was the league was weak. Check what they did against teams not in their league- Same answer- No disrespect to Cody but check the stats- Ill even accept a co-mvp but not over. Congrats Cody on BYU! Im sure you will have an impact on that program.

Arcata, CA

#31 Jan 23, 2009
ehs fan wrote:
<quoted text> As you mentioned, Allen missed two games .
What is the reason for the missed games? More intrigue? Does anybody even know?
Without the MVP on O the Loggers would have still gone 6-0 in league.
Just like the Loggers won every league game played without the MVP on D.
So with or without the MVP's the Loggers go 6-5.

Without Cody the Warriors go 3-6 and don't make the playoffs. Now that's MVP in my book.
Davis was the Loggers overall team MVP.IMO.
Maddog

Roseburg, OR

#32 Jan 23, 2009
<quoted text>
Kinda like Allen got Co-Mvp in basketball last year with Vanhook....WARRIOR PRIDE
Fred

Brookings, OR

#33 Jan 23, 2009
Way to go Cody!!
Tiger

Mckinleyville, CA

#34 Jan 23, 2009
Maddog wrote:
<quoted text>
Kinda like Allen got Co-Mvp in basketball last year with Vanhook....WARRIOR PRIDE
What did you think of last night's game?Del Norte looked better than a 1-2 team.
Salmonback

Crescent City, CA

#35 Jan 24, 2009
<quoted text>
Simple, without Cody DN would've had about 2 victories. That's how valuable he was
Salmonback

Crescent City, CA

#36 Jan 24, 2009
Tiger wrote:
<quoted text>
What did you think of last night's game?Del Norte looked better than a 1-2 team.
Del Norte is a carbon copy of their coach--
childish and whining.

How man T's can one bench get during a season?
Them boys should be running till their tails fall off. Make a free throw for pete's sake
redwood

Crescent City, CA

#37 Jan 24, 2009
Salmonback wrote:
<quoted text>
Del Norte is a carbon copy of their coach--
childish and whining.
How man T's can one bench get during a season?
Them boys should be running till their tails fall off. Make a free throw for pete's sake
once again salmonback you sound like the whinner and very childish. High Schoolers should not be able to post on here. Amazing. feel sorry for your negative attitude. Go be a fan of some other team in the HDNL!!
blatantdisregard

Brookings, OR

#38 Jan 24, 2009
way to go cody
Salmonback

Crescent City, CA

#39 Jan 24, 2009
redwood wrote:
<quoted text>
once again salmonback you sound like the whinner and very childish. High Schoolers should not be able to post on here. Amazing. feel sorry for your negative attitude. Go be a fan of some other team in the HDNL!!
You must be a parent of one of the players to stand for such malarkey. The players have no respect and you have no sense.
My attitude isn't negative. I just want to see something positive from this team. Anything less than 1st place in a four team conference just doesn't cut the cake.
Get some wins

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Austin Collie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tom Brady still plenty good enough (Jun '14) Aug '14 Flatulence Fred 21
News Austin Collie re-joins New England Patriots (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News 49ers give Austin Collie a tryout (Jun '13) Jun '13 jose 4
News New England Patriots working out Jabar Gaffney? (Jun '13) Jun '13 Rewind 1
News Colts lead 17 - 6 over the Vikings at half time (Sep '12) Sep '12 Luck E Day 2
News Luck looks good as Colts beat Rams 38-3 (Aug '12) Aug '12 BlitzburghX7 1
News Colts quarterback Andrew Luck throws his first ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Douglas 1
More from around the web