Forever Young: Del Norte's Hoffman to verbally commit to BYU

Thursday night wasn't all bad for Cody Hoffman. In fact, it was life-changing. Following his basketball team's hard-fought 45-43 loss to Arcata, the Del Norte senior went to dinner with a coach from BYU where ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Warrior Fan

Brookings, OR

#1 Jan 23, 2009
Congrats Cody on all your hard work! We know who the REAL MVP of the League is!!!
GOLDENBEAR

Klamath, CA

#2 Jan 23, 2009
Yes sir shoulda been league MVP on both sides the ball just to be FAIR. Thata boy cody DO WORK
Hope__Fort Dick CA

Medford, OR

#3 Jan 23, 2009
Way to go Cody! I can't beleive you're off to college already. You're bound for great things. Keep making us proud!
Lee Rosser

Pleasanton, CA

#4 Jan 23, 2009
I have been watching Cody excell since Little League all stars. Good things happen to good people, and very much like Rey Maualuga, it couldn't have happened to a nicer kid. Good luck Cody.
LoggerFan

Eureka, CA

#5 Jan 23, 2009
Warrior Fan wrote:
Congrats Cody on all your hard work! We know who the REAL MVP of the League is!!!
Typical Del Norte comment.
GOLDENBEAR

Klamath, CA

#6 Jan 23, 2009
just the TRUTH there LOGGER fan and you know it deep down who the real mvp is too so TYPICAL comment from a EUREKA WHINER
Salmonback

Crescent City, CA

#7 Jan 23, 2009
That's my boy. Put in the time and its paying off. Keep making highlights kid. You've got all the tools
DN Warrior

Crescent City, CA

#8 Jan 23, 2009
First I have to say WAY TO GO CODY!!!!!!!!!! You make the HDN proud. You show class and character, all of your hard work has paid off. Go with the support of all of us at Del Norte. Go…be strong… grow…and learn! You are on your way to bettering your life!
With that said, Warrior fans show some class for Christ sake! Obviously you have never been top notch in a sport because with that comes honor and sometimes real disappointment. Most of the time they are well handed out but believe me when you are in that position you know when you get the recognition you deserve, you know when you get it and really didn’t live up. It works the both ways… you know when you got screwed! Get over the MVP, Cody obviously has he’s looking forward and progressing in life. What a huge step, towards his future.
I would hope that reading this article would only produce “Good Work” comments. As should it be with any kid in our HDN that has had this success. I look at the talent this Varsity group of kids (all HDN) has and we should building these kids strength and character! Wake up fans and start supporting our high school athletes in what’s really important...I hope to God our communities are trying to raise productive members of society not just high school stars.
Steve Barber

Six Rivers Ntl Forest, CA

#9 Jan 23, 2009
Congrats Cody, Any player that comes from this small league to the bright lights of DI college footabll deserve praise.

Another kid form the area jsut signed on to play DI as well. Nick White from Hoopa will play linebacker for Tennessee Tech, from the Ohio Valley Conference.

Good luck to Cody and Nick. Make us all proud
GOLDENBEAR

Klamath, CA

#10 Jan 23, 2009
why no stroy on the kid from the VALLEY T/S reporters to scared to head up on the REZ?
cougarfan

Boise, ID

#11 Jan 23, 2009
Welcome Cody we're excited to have you.
Bob Rynert

United States

#12 Jan 23, 2009
Good for Hoffman, BYU is class school and always fields a good football team. He is a hard worker and should do well at the next level. I will look forward to following him in his college career.
Tom

Eureka, CA

#13 Jan 23, 2009
He would have been the MVP if the Eureka Reporter still existed. He played in every game - not just the last 8.
Salmonback

Crescent City, CA

#14 Jan 23, 2009
Tom wrote:
He would have been the MVP if the Eureka Reporter still existed. He played in every game - not just the last 8.
Exactly. Without him DN sucked this year. No disrespect but it was very hard to watch.
Weak coaching from the gridiron allthe way to the hardwood in DN.
It's gonna take an outstanding group of student athletes to win with the way things are run in DN.

We're already looking forward to baseball and softball. At least there's hope
Most Valuable Observer

Eureka, CA

#15 Jan 23, 2009
Tom wrote:
That's a blank statement. How's that? The coaches in the HDN decide the MVP. How can a newspaper sway the votes of coaches like Kim Jorgensen, Garrett Montana and others?
Poon Tang

Colorado Springs, CO

#16 Jan 23, 2009
Not bad, not bad at all. He'll be playing in the Mountain West Conference - the most underrated conference (next to the Pac 10) in the country. I saw Air Force play BYU this year (also caught AFA vs Utah). If he plays, it's more of an accomplishment than Mo Purify's playing for Nebraska. The MWC would blow doors on the Big 12 north if they went head-to head.
Steve Barber

Six Rivers Ntl Forest, CA

#17 Jan 23, 2009
GOLDENBEAR wrote:
why no stroy on the kid from the VALLEY T/S reporters to scared to head up on the REZ?
The kid, Nick White is from Hoopa but moved to Tennessee were he was voted co-defensive MVP of Tennessee's 5A division, which would be Di in Cali. Heset school tackle, tackle for loss and is #2 in sacks. The kid is 6'3 240 and runs a 4.6, he is built like a brick outhouse. The Ohio Valley conference isnt as big other schools but he is the 1st player from Hoopa to play D1 football. Go Cody and Nick, good luck next year you will make us all proud
Tom

Eureka, CA

#18 Jan 23, 2009
Most Valuable Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a blank statement. How's that? The coaches in the HDN decide the MVP. How can a newspaper sway the votes of coaches like Kim Jorgensen, Garrett Montana and others?
First congratulations to the Big 4's all around MVP.Cody was the PEOPLE'S choice.

The AHS & DNHS head coaches both have said they disagree with your statement.
The Ferndale coach did not vote for the Big 4 MVP, and if he did what a joke.Who did Ferndale play in the Big 4? Fortuna, once.That's it.
Coaches nominated their own players and the TS took it from there.
Ever heard of TRANSPARENCY?What was the all league selection process? Please print it.
This papers love affair with certain players is obvious.
There was never an explanation of the missed early games.There was never a mention of the EHS hoops suspensions - Yet the TS printed South Fork suspendees names.Hoopa's football issues. And the Ferndale QB's suspension was mentioned.
All we ask is equal and fair reporting.
IMO Couch,Hoffman,Cobb and Davis were hosed.
Most Valuable Observer

Eureka, CA

#19 Jan 23, 2009
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
First congratulations to the Big 4's all around MVP.Cody was the PEOPLE'S choice.
The Ferndale coach did not vote for the Big 4 MVP, and if he did what a joke.Who did Ferndale play in the Big 4? Fortuna, once.That's it.
Ever heard of TRANSPARENCY?What was the all league selection process? Please print it.
There was never an explanation of the missed early games.There was never a mention of the EHS hoops suspensions - Yet the TS printed South Fork suspendees names.Hoopa's football issues. And the Ferndale QB's suspension was mentioned.
What are you talking about? TS took it from there? They got a list, just like I got a list up here in Crescent City and they ran the list from the HDNC, GENIUS.

I agree Cody Hoffman is an outstanding player, but how can you be most valuable league player on a .500 team?
Mr Majors

Eureka, CA

#20 Jan 23, 2009
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
When I worked at the Eureka Reporter, we got the all league list from the league with the MVP's on them. We ran the list.
I'm pretty sure thats how the TS does it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Austin Collie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tom Brady still plenty good enough (Jun '14) Aug '14 Flatulence Fred 21
Austin Collie re-joins New England Patriots (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laughing Bear Fan 3
49ers give Austin Collie a tryout (Jun '13) Jun '13 jose 4
New England Patriots working out Jabar Gaffney? (Jun '13) Jun '13 Rewind 1
Colts lead 17 - 6 over the Vikings at half time (Sep '12) Sep '12 Luck E Day 2
Luck looks good as Colts beat Rams 38-3 (Aug '12) Aug '12 BlitzburghX7 1
Colts quarterback Andrew Luck throws his first ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Douglas 1
More from around the web