Peyton Manning wins record 4th Ap MVP

Jan 9, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Salon.com

In this Jan. 3, 2010 file photo, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning throws during an NFL football game against the Buffalo Bills in Orchard Park, N.Y. Manning has been selected as The Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player of the Year.

Comments
21 - 31 of 31 Comments Last updated Jan 14, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“DEMOCRATS ARE JACKASSES”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

Judged:

TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
The NFL may not give awards for winning 23 consecutive regular season games, but it's a heck of a lot more than "nothing". The NFL doesn't give awards for winning more games in a decade than any other team in NFL history, but that's, also, a heck of a lot more than "nothing". And, finally, winning the SB is a big "something", and the Colts did that in '06-'07.
Unless your team is the Pats or Steelers, you don't have a heck of lot to talk about. Take your own advice and pipe down.
<quoted text>
Everybody knows MVP awards, like Pro Bowl votes, are highly subjective. The flavor of the week wins those things. If Brees had won the games he played, as Manning did, he would most likely have either won the award, or been voted co-MVP.
Brees lost the MVP because of his performance, and the subsequent losses, in the last two regular season games he played in. He was outplayed by Tony Romo in the Dallas game, and by Josh Freeman in the TB game.
As far as having better stats than Manning goes, that's really a toss-up. Manning had more attempts, with more completions, and more yards throwing on a team with a rookie and a second year receiver, and no running game. Brees had a higher completion percentage (by 1.8%), more TDs (by 1) and less INTs (by 5), but double the sacks. And, of course, he lost the last 2 games he played in, while Manning won all of his. Stats look pretty even to me.
One last thing. The MVP award doesn't always go to the player with the best stats. That's what the Offensive Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year awards are for. The MVP goes to the player who makes the most difference to his team, and the league. Had Brees gone down sometime during the season, I suspect Brunell would have won, at least, half of the Saints games. I doubt the Colts would have won more than 4-5 of theirs.
It is also worth noting that Manning is, by far, the most feared and respected QB in the league. You don't have to take my word for it. Just ask coaches Fisher (TEN), Belichick (NE), Harbaugh (BAL), Sparano (MIA), or Kubiak (HOU)...
You PIPE down LOUD MOUTH! You stated that the Chargers Choke and all I said was you have nothing to talk about because the Colts are Choke as bad as anyone so stick that is you Hoosier AZZ you band wagon jumper! Fans like you make me sick and Brees had a better season theuy your boy Manning.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

Judged:

Inconvenient Truth wrote:
<quoted text>You PIPE down LOUD MOUTH! You stated that the Chargers Choke and all I said was you have nothing to talk about because the Colts are Choke as bad as anyone so stick that is you Hoosier AZZ you band wagon jumper! Fans like you make me sick and Brees had a better season theuy your boy Manning.
Whatever you say. You may want to go take your meds now...

“DEMOCRATS ARE JACKASSES”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

Judged:

TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever you say. You may want to go take your meds now...
You may want to brush taht one tooth of yours you freaking Redneck Inbred HaySeed!BYW how does your Mom kiss?
Virginia

Yorktown, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Judged:

I personally think Peyton Manning should have 5 or 6 MVPs but I am sure the Colts fans will settle for 4, most ever and he has never lost a superbowl.
He is by far the top QB of our era with what I consider mediocre coaches in Dungy & Caldwell, both who were not qualified as HC in Tamapa Bay and asst. at Wake Forrest. Manning should get 'Coach of the Year'

Since: Jan 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Even though I would like to see the colts go to the superbowl I have a feeling thier going to choke AGAIN.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Virginia wrote:
I personally think Peyton Manning should have 5 or 6 MVPs but I am sure the Colts fans will settle for 4, most ever and he has never lost a superbowl.
He is by far the top QB of our era with what I consider mediocre coaches in Dungy & Caldwell, both who were not qualified as HC in Tamapa Bay and asst. at Wake Forrest. Manning should get 'Coach of the Year'
Hes only been in one super bowl...lol. Tony Dungy was a wonderful coach. He laid the groundwork for the Tampa Bay Bucs who won the year after he left. Chucky should tell Dungy thanks for that btw. Number wise Peyton is the best QB and by far the most feared on the field but remember how great Dan Marino was? Peyton has to start making it past the first round in the playoffs before history will truly acknowledge him the greatest of this time over Tom Brady. The thing with Tom Brady is he won his first super bowls with barely above average receivers, and when they traded off his receivers and got new ones he won with those guys also. Peyton can win all the MVPs and will eventually hold every passing record but he needs to start stringing together some SB wins.
Virginia

Yorktown, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

DaveMC wrote:
<quoted text>Hes only been in one super bowl...lol. Tony Dungy was a wonderful coach. He laid the groundwork for the Tampa Bay Bucs who won the year after he left. Chucky should tell Dungy thanks for that btw. Number wise Peyton is the best QB and by far the most feared on the field but remember how great Dan Marino was? Peyton has to start making it past the first round in the playoffs before history will truly acknowledge him the greatest of this time over Tom Brady. The thing with Tom Brady is he won his first super bowls with barely above average receivers, and when they traded off his receivers and got new ones he won with those guys also. Peyton can win all the MVPs and will eventually hold every passing record but he needs to start stringing together some SB wins.
Peyton said u suck ko/ks

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Virginia wrote:
<quoted text>Peyton said u suck ko/ks
lol...he was right

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Virginia wrote:
There are alot of people in Indy that feel the same way.

He is by far the top QB of our era with what I consider mediocre coaches in Dungy & Caldwell, both who were not qualified as HC in Tampa Bay and asst. at Wake Forrest. Manning should get 'Coach of the Year'
As Dave said, Dungy was an excellent coach while in Tampa and turned that team around. He also perfected the cover-2 and made it one of the most widely used defenses in the league. It was his team, and stifling defense, that Gruden won the SB with.

I'm not sold on Caldwell yet. His tenure as HC at Wake Forest was unremarkable, to be kind. He is more agressive than coach Dungy, very level-headed, but still gets major black marks for the way he chose to end the regular season this year.

Having a QB like Manning is like having a coach/coordinator on the field, and a great assistant to any head coach. The big knock on him is that he doesn't have near the numbers or success in the postseason that he has in the regular season. I believe that is because the teams you face in the postseason play at an entirely different level (in most cases) than the teams you meet during the regular season, and are much more agressive.

The Colts, and Manning, are far too passive in those postseason games. That, combined with average-to-poor defenses, has made it very difficult for the Colts to advance in the postseason. It appears GM Bill Polian, and Larry Coyer, the new defensive coordinator, have finally gotten the message and started drafting much bigger DTs to plug some of those holes up front, and blitzing to keep the opposing offenses off balance. This year seems to be proof positive that the new philosophy is working.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2010

TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
There are alot of people in Indy that feel the same way.
<quoted text>
As Dave said, Dungy was an excellent coach while in Tampa and turned that team around. He also perfected the cover-2 and made it one of the most widely used defenses in the league. It was his team, and stifling defense, that Gruden won the SB with.
I'm not sold on Caldwell yet. His tenure as HC at Wake Forest was unremarkable, to be kind. He is more agressive than coach Dungy, very level-headed, but still gets major black marks for the way he chose to end the regular season this year.
Having a QB like Manning is like having a coach/coordinator on the field, and a great assistant to any head coach. The big knock on him is that he doesn't have near the numbers or success in the postseason that he has in the regular season. I believe that is because the teams you face in the postseason play at an entirely different level (in most cases) than the teams you meet during the regular season, and are much more agressive.
The Colts, and Manning, are far too passive in those postseason games. That, combined with average-to-poor defenses, has made it very difficult for the Colts to advance in the postseason. It appears GM Bill Polian, and Larry Coyer, the new defensive coordinator, have finally gotten the message and started drafting much bigger DTs to plug some of those holes up front, and blitzing to keep the opposing offenses off balance. This year seems to be proof positive that the new philosophy is working.
Is Dungy a defensive genius or what? He also the reason the Colts became such a great team on the defensive side of the ball. Hes a really likeable dude and its a shame what they did to him in Tampa Bay. Hated to see him retire but Im sure hell be back to coaching someday.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2010

Judged:

DaveMC wrote:
<quoted text>Is Dungy a defensive genius or what? He also the reason the Colts became such a great team on the defensive side of the ball. Hes a really likeable dude and its a shame what they did to him in Tampa Bay. Hated to see him retire but Im sure hell be back to coaching someday.
Absolutely! Considering he was a QB in college, I guess the credit for his focus change to defense is really Chuck Noll's. Despite the fact that Dungy was a standout at the QB position, Noll converted him to DB. He quickly developed into a very good safety, and found his niche in the NFL as a player, and coach.

When he was fired in TB there were a lot of unhappy fans. Surprisingly, there were just as many who were happy to see him go. His detractors thought he was far too conservative, and squandered the talent he had on those teams.

Despite the fact that he took TB to the playoffs 4 out of the 6 years he was there (and to the NFC championship in '99), they point to Gruden's SB win in '02 as confirmation of Dungy's shortcomings. I'm sure they are second guessing themselves now, and wish he were still there.

I, too, believe he'll be coaching again. Everytime a vacancy is announced, his name is at, or near, the top of the list. I think if he can find a position in or near Florida, say, with the Jaguars, he would jump back in, in a heartbeat. I'm sure he'll do well wherever he chooses to go, and in whatever endeavor he chooses to participate in.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Austin Collie Discussions

Search the Austin Collie Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Tom Brady still plenty good enough Jun '14 Haywoods Mom 16
Austin Collie re-joins New England Patriots (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laughing Bear Fan 3
49ers give Austin Collie a tryout (Jun '13) Jun '13 jose 4
New England Patriots working out Jabar Gaffney? (Jun '13) Jun '13 Rewind 1
Colts lead 17 - 6 over the Vikings at half time (Sep '12) Sep '12 Luck E Day 2
Luck looks good as Colts beat Rams 38-3 (Aug '12) Aug '12 BlitzburghX7 1
Colts quarterback Andrew Luck throws his first ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Douglas 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••