Bears letting their passer be less pa...

Bears letting their passer be less passive

There are 133 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 28, 2008, titled Bears letting their passer be less passive. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

There were 29 seconds left in the first half of Sunday night's Bears- Eagles game at Soldier Field when the big announcement was made.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Dino

Seattle, WA

#123 Sep 30, 2008
I agree it seems as if the Grossman haters/Orton Lover's are blinded by their emotion. There's not a whole lot of logic to what their saying.

The very same things that they disliked about Grossman are the very same mistakes that Orton is making right now but for some reason because there is so much negative emotion towards Grossman then Orton should be forgiven.

I hope Orton starts improving his decision making because above all I want to see the Bears win but if he continues at this pace of turning the ball over it will catch up to him. The Bears can't lose the turnover battle like they did on Sunday and keep winning. Orton accounted for all of the turnovers.
RamRod

Saint Paul, MN

#124 Oct 1, 2008
Dino -

Repeating the same old rhetoric, in defense of Grossman, will get you nothing but labeled as "stuck in a rut"!

We understand, perfectly, what you are saying. You're not that complex.

What YOU don't understand is that for a 8 or 9 game span, while things were in the balance, last year, Rexxy had the chance to "turn things around" and stunk the place up, ad nauseum!

Orton did not account for all the turnovers, last Sunday. Even Forte had a hand in one.

So your generalizations don't work any better than your stat spouting.

Sorry.
Bill

Wheaton, IL

#125 Oct 1, 2008
Dino wrote:
The very same things that they disliked about Grossman are the very same mistakes that Orton is making right now but for some reason because there is so much negative emotion towards Grossman then Orton should be forgiven.

No......Rex worked his "magic" over a span of 5 YEARS !

Orton has had 7 Games !..... And STILL has done better than Grossman.

At least Kyle has continued to improve.... Rex was no better in 2007 than he was in his rookie year !

Bill-Denver

Redwood City, CA

#126 Oct 2, 2008
RamRod...but have you READ the newspapers. Orton was responsible for ALL 4 turnovers last week.
That would be two interceptions, and two fumbles. Even the perceived Kevin Jones mishap if you look at the replay was a crappy hand off by Orton. And Grossman started 7 games last year not 8 or 9.
7 of his 8 interceptions were in the first three games before he was benched. The last 4 games, he threw 3 TD's and 1 INT and his passing rating was 86.05. Had he not been sacked 16 times in those same four games, it would be hard to say what his rating would have been. The O line gave up 42 sacks last year, averaging almost 3 a game. And of the three quarterbacks that started last year, Orton had the lowest rating. That, my fellow Bear fan, are that statistics. Orton has 5 TD, 4 interceptions and a 78.0 passer rating through 4 games....I am not impressed. So this is an improvement? Not so sure about that.
RamRod

Saint Paul, MN

#127 Oct 3, 2008
Bill-Denver wrote:
RamRod...but have you READ the newspapers. Orton was responsible for ALL 4 turnovers last week.
That would be two interceptions, and two fumbles. Even the perceived Kevin Jones mishap if you look at the replay was a crappy hand off by Orton. And Grossman started 7 games last year not 8 or 9.
7 of his 8 interceptions were in the first three games before he was benched. The last 4 games, he threw 3 TD's and 1 INT and his passing rating was 86.05. Had he not been sacked 16 times in those same four games, it would be hard to say what his rating would have been. The O line gave up 42 sacks last year, averaging almost 3 a game. And of the three quarterbacks that started last year, Orton had the lowest rating. That, my fellow Bear fan, are that statistics. Orton has 5 TD, 4 interceptions and a 78.0 passer rating through 4 games....I am not impressed. So this is an improvement? Not so sure about that.
STATS, STATS AND MORE STATS! Not one to put much stock in stats, I still find fault with yours, but, I could care less. Orton started three games last year, who started the others?

While Kyle didn't have his best game, last Sunday, I didn't see the team lose and know that "runner" QB had more than his share of a hand in it.

I still haven't seen anything that looks anything like what I personally saw last year out of the QB position and his last 8-9 games, before he was benched, HE STANK UP THE NFL. PERIOD!
Dino

United States

#128 Oct 3, 2008
Opinions..Opinions..Opinions. They're absolutely good for nothing so stats are all that matter. Ok bottom line Orton is 2-2 as a starter this year with a fantastic running game. Grossman last year had Benson who did nothing. Everyone knows a running game is a QB's best friend.

Orton simply cannot be counted on to throw the ball when it matters. Against the Bucs and the Panthers he had a chance to drive his team to victory and he could do absolutely nothing. Even the Eagles victory was because of Forte getting a first down on the ground. Orton can't produce when it matters!
Dino

United States

#129 Oct 3, 2008
Grossman has won playoff games while Orton has none. Grossman has brought his team back to victory while Orton never has. Now I'm not saying that Grossman doesnt have his faults but to be a QB in the NFL you need to pass the ball good when the pressure mounts. Grossman's downfall was because he could not last year but has Orton EVER done it? Nope. Never and certainly not this year.
Bill

Wayne, IL

#130 Oct 4, 2008
Bill-Denver wrote:

Boy, 4 turnovers!..... You wackos will manufacture anything to bolster your weak claims.

Surprise !!!... Grossman was DEMOTED because he wasn't worth a damn!!... Live with it !!

Bill

Wayne, IL

#131 Oct 4, 2008
Dino wrote:
Opinions..Opinions..Opinions. They're absolutely good for nothing so stats are all that matter. Ok bottom line Orton is 2-2 as a starter this year with a fantastic running game. Grossman last year had Benson who did nothing. Everyone knows a running game is a QB's best friend.
Orton simply cannot be counted on to throw the ball when it matters. Against the Bucs and the Panthers he had a chance to drive his team to victory and he could do absolutely nothing. Even the Eagles victory was because of Forte getting a first down on the ground. Orton can't produce when it matters!
Dino wrote:
Grossman has won playoff games while Orton has none. Grossman has brought his team back to victory while Orton never has. Now I'm not saying that Grossman doesnt have his faults but to be a QB in the NFL you need to pass the ball good when the pressure mounts. Grossman's downfall was because he could not last year but has Orton EVER done it? Nope. Never and certainly not this year.

And yet your two posts offer NOTHING BUT OPINIONS...... Do you know the definition of "opinion"?

You get my same response......

Damn...... Your blathering of the same crap week after week sure gets tiring !!

At least come up with something original...... Or, put a cork in it !!

You ARE smart enough to come up with an original thought ..... aren't you ??

Bill

Wayne, IL

#132 Oct 4, 2008

Who were you before you started hiding behind "Dino" ??

Did we catch on to you ??..... How utterly "High School" !!
RamRod

Saint Paul, MN

#133 Oct 6, 2008
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
And yet your two posts offer NOTHING BUT OPINIONS...... Do you know the definition of "opinion"?
You get my same response......
Damn...... Your blathering of the same crap week after week sure gets tiring !!
At least come up with something original...... Or, put a cork in it !!
You ARE smart enough to come up with an original thought ..... aren't you ??
HEY! If you don't mind I'll take care of this! ;-)

Mind you, I wasn't thrilled with Kyle's post game interviews, after the Lion drubbing. It may be that he was sparing the Lion's feelings by not suggesting that little should be made of a performance against, what has to be, the worst team any other team will meet this season. I doubt it, but, they beat the team they were scheduled to play.

But, yes, it just escapes me that what I witnessed last year, is seen as an opinion. I can make stats that make Gus Ferotte look the better of Tom Brady or Rex better than Johnny Unitas, etc.

REX STANK UP THE PLACE, AND EMBARRASSED US AS FANS, FOR MOST OF THE SEASON LAST YEAR! PERIOD!

Kyle is not Tom Brady and isn't going to pass up Unitas' place in history. It's simple: HE PLAYS, more often than not, BEARS WIN! How far he passes, and to whom, or at what point in the game, has nothing to do with a BEARS win. Personal stats, that's all. If dink and dunk, plus Forte running for a tough-won first down, gets the defense a rest and the BEARS WIN, what is it that you find wrong with this scenario.

That's my rant for the day. Dino can go rub some salve on the sore spot we gave him now.
Dino

Seattle, WA

#134 Oct 7, 2008
Yeah you gave me a sore spot alright but you guys enjoyed it too much so let me put an end to that. I ain't that kind of guy...

Now why don't you guys go ahead and try that routine with Orton. I'd bet he would love it!!
Dino

United States

#135 Oct 7, 2008
It's really cute how Ramrod (Interesting name by the way..) and Bill are ganging up on me. Are you guys holding hands while doing it?

I won't hold that against you guys but back to business. I agree Orton is playing far better then I expected but with that being said the mark of a good QB is how does he play when his team is behind and can he bring his team back. Grossman has done it in the past many times. Name me one time where Orton has brought the Bears back to victory?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asante Samuel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atlanta has healed from Vick days (Jan '13) Feb '13 Vick Hater 102
News Falcons' Asante Samuel adopts strange nickname (Jan '13) Jan '13 pete 1
News Carson Palmer takes the blame for Sunday's loss... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Knapp Time 6
News Raiders live chat today at 2:30 p.m. to discuss... (Jan '12) Feb '12 Snacks 17
News Sorry Eagles fold to Cards (Nov '11) Jan '12 Angry-Bird 597
News Dallas can be scary foe for Eagles' Reid (Oct '11) Oct '11 Steamedfarts 5
News Eagles make Samuel available for trade (Oct '11) Oct '11 Posefarts 2
More from around the web