Hey, Jamison!

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Each week, Baltimore Sun reporter Jamison Hensley will answer fans' questions about the Ravens.
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Oct 4, 2008

Since: Aug 08

Chestertown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2008

These Sun reporters and wannabe fans, with no patience what so ever are really beginning to get on my nerves.

The 70+ yard drive that Flacco had late in the fourth quarter was a drive where the offense was able to mix in the run and the pass because there was enough time left on the clock. It kept the defense honest and that gave Flacco just enough time to make the necessary throws.

The last drive of the game was with less than two minutes to go and the offense was backed up behind their own 20- Yard line. This is not a time when running plays are going to work effectively in a blend with the pass. Therefore, in order for the Ravens to move the ball upfield effective, it would have to be solely with the pass. Pittsburg, being the second best defense in the league, is not foolish and recognizes this. They now get the opportunity to pin their ears back and head straight for Flacco, who was not consistently protected all night, because they know the ball has to go through the air.

Now, by that point in the game, Flacco had already been sacked several times, hurried several times and fumbled twice, one of which got returned for a touchdown. Why in the world are you going to risk a crucial mistake like that, considering where the offense was on the field, at that point in the game? Any mistake at that point leads to an easy Pittsburg field goal, at best, and the game is over.

They might as well have gone for two after the last touchdown we scored if they were going to be so daring.

Keep in mind that we had good field position in overtime, if it weren't for an Antwan Barnes penalty. There was nothing wrong with the strategy, it was just poor execution on a return that took us out of good field position.

And by the way, weren't people criticizing Cam and Harbaugh for not running the ball the first offensive play after Santonio Holmes's touchdown? And now all of a sudden, Cam and Harbaugh are getting criticized for not trying to go down the field late in the game against a great Pittsburg pass rush with momentum on their side?

Everyone needs to chill and if they don't have the patience to see this offense come together this season, they can watch and support another team.

This offense is averaging 19.33 points per game.
We are actually pounding the rock down at the goal line, and aren't subjected to three and four consecutive pass plays in the red zone, leading to disappointment.
This offense has 5 red zone touchdowns
Not only did this offense crunch the clock in the fourth quarter against the Bengal and the Browns, who, no matter how bad they are, EVERYONE EXPECTED US TO LOSE TO BEFORE THE SEASON BEGAN, but Joe Flacco leads the offense almost 80 Yards down the field, LATE IN THE FOURTH QUARTER, ON MONDAY NIGHT, AT HEINZ FIELD, to tie that game up at 20 before it went to overtime. If that isn't an improvement over the vast majority of offense we've seen the nine years, I don't know what is.

And the fact of matter is that this is being done with a new offensive coordinator to this team, a first year head coach, a first year quarterback, and the youngest offensive line in the league.

This team will be just fine, and if you naysayers out there can't show any appreciation or patience for what the Ravens as an organization are trying to establish, just go somewhere else, because we don't need the negativity around here.
GPT

Owings Mills, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2008

Shudom

I agree. Trying to make something happen when you are on your own 13, with 1 timeout against a great defence is probably the smart move. Don't we all remember that Pitt was teeing off on Flacco when they knew we were going to pass.

I do say that we need to get Heap more involved. I know we need him during the max protection schemes but we need to find a way. Also the other receivers need to step up as well. We need to have more than one person for Flacco to pass to.

If I were Tennesse I would be doubling Mason, and making one of the other recievers beat me.

I like the play calling of Cam, it is much more of a mix than we saw under BB. And am I seeing correctly, the ravens actually run the screen play? they never ran that under BB.

Give the OLine and Flacco a chance to get more experienced and chemistry and watch what this team will be able to do in the future. Our defense may finally have and offense that will allow them to stay fresh during the games, and maybe even reduce the injuries as they are not on the field all day.

Chestertown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2008

We definitely need to get Heap involved GPT. If not Heap then Wilcox, but especially Heap. I believe that the first two games showed a bit of rust on his part for missing so much time this offseason.

It has been proven over the years that Todd Heap arguably has the best hands on this team and if he doesn't, he is certainly right behind Derrick Mason.

The problem that I have with Mark Clayton is consistent and toughness. Every now and then he will snag in a tough pass, but alot of times, he misses out on tough catches, because he does not fight for the ball enough. Once more, over the years, I have noticed that he bobbles alot of passes. Even passes that he ends up catching, when you look at replay, you can see that he has a bit of trouble with it.

Demetrius Williams also lacks the toughness to bring in the tough throws which could be larger in amount this year than later years, considering this is Flacco's first year. A part of me feels like he hasn't been on the field enough in his career to get a solid grade, but that may have been for a reason. Keep in mind, there was another reciever around here who didn't get much playing time because of lack of focus and concentration, issues we the fans didn't find out about until after the fact, he comes out and has a decent two games, one of them being against the Patriots and then he goes about dropping passes. Williams has the athleticism, but the jury is still out on his consistency.

Cam will look at other alternatives, if necessary, in order to get either Heap or Wilcox involved. However, the notion of a rift between Harbaugh and Heap does bother me a bit. I would like to know more about that.
Chi Chi

Sykesville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2008

"When Jarret Johnson was flagged for that critical unnecessary roughness penalty, Harbaugh confronted him about it on the sideline."

Yeah, and Johnson waved him off like a mosquito. What a confrontation!
hypocrit

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2008

Shudom wrote:
These Sun reporters and wannabe fans, with no patience what so ever are really beginning to get on my nerves.
The 70+ yard drive that Flacco had late in the fourth quarter was a drive where the offense was able to mix in the run and the pass because there was enough time left on the clock. It kept the defense honest and that gave Flacco just enough time to make the necessary throws.
The last drive of the game was with less than two minutes to go and the offense was backed up behind their own 20- Yard line. This is not a time when running plays are going to work effectively in a blend with the pass. Therefore, in order for the Ravens to move the ball upfield effective, it would have to be solely with the pass. Pittsburg, being the second best defense in the league, is not foolish and recognizes this. They now get the opportunity to pin their ears back and head straight for Flacco, who was not consistently protected all night, because they know the ball has to go through the air.
Now, by that point in the game, Flacco had already been sacked several times, hurried several times and fumbled twice, one of which got returned for a touchdown. Why in the world are you going to risk a crucial mistake like that, considering where the offense was on the field, at that point in the game? Any mistake at that point leads to an easy Pittsburg field goal, at best, and the game is over.
They might as well have gone for two after the last touchdown we scored if they were going to be so daring.
Keep in mind that we had good field position in overtime, if it weren't for an Antwan Barnes penalty. There was nothing wrong with the strategy, it was just poor execution on a return that took us out of good field position.
And by the way, weren't people criticizing Cam and Harbaugh for not running the ball the first offensive play after Santonio Holmes's touchdown? And now all of a sudden, Cam and Harbaugh are getting criticized for not trying to go down the field late in the game against a great Pittsburg pass rush with momentum on their side?
Everyone needs to chill and if they don't have the patience to see this offense come together this season, they can watch and support another team.
We are actually pounding the rock down at the goal line, and aren't subjected to three and four consecutive pass plays in the red zone, leading to disappointment.
Not only did this offense crunch the clock in the fourth quarter against the Bengal and the Browns, who, no matter how bad they are, EVERYONE EXPECTED US TO LOSE TO BEFORE THE SEASON BEGAN, but Joe Flacco leads the offense almost 80 Yards down the field, LATE IN THE FOURTH QUARTER, ON MONDAY NIGHT, AT HEINZ FIELD, to tie that game up at 20 before it went to overtime. If that isn't an improvement over the vast majority of offense we've seen the nine years, I don't know what is.
And the fact of matter is that this is being done with a new offensive coordinator to this team, a first year head coach, a first year quarterback, and the youngest offensive line in the league.
This team will be just fine, and if you naysayers out there can't show any appreciation or patience for what the Ravens as an organization are trying to establish, just go somewhere else, because we don't need the negativity around here.
Jesus, thought this was the comments sections not another whining article
Maestro

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2008

Totally agree with the running out of the clock ... no way would you try that .. its all about field position, timeouts, injuries (McClain). But if we had punted that ball in that situation the Steelers kicker was already showing in practice that he had a 60 yarder in him !! And no one even mentions that we did get the ball in OT and would have had good field position if it weren't for the penalty.
Cornell

Sykesville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2008

Do you see a quality wideout coming to this team in the near future. We see the same traits in Clayton and D. Williams that needed to addressed during the off season. They have not been productive for far too long and the dry spells seem never ending. Will the Ravens prepare them better as the season progresses or should we count them out of the equation.

Chestertown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2008

Cornell wrote:
Do you see a quality wideout coming to this team in the near future. We see the same traits in Clayton and D. Williams that needed to addressed during the off season. They have not been productive for far too long and the dry spells seem never ending. Will the Ravens prepare them better as the season progresses or should we count them out of the equation.
I say that we count them out of the equation. I think it is time for this team to have a receiver 6-3 or taller with actually physicality to his game. Not Clarence Moore, who was only good for the occasional fade, and Demetrius Williams, who doesn't often come up with much that isn't uncontested and right in his hands. Mark Clayton may garner a bit more time, if he can show that he has better hands on a consistent basis. I don't see why Mason, who runs excellent routes and has excellent hands, can't go another two years.

Also, I do not see those two as the only ones who might be on the out. With the salary cap crunch as a potential danger for the team, I could see McGahee being shopped if his health does not improve. I don't see equal value being gained for him, but if Ozzie could get some draft picks for him and make good on him, it would be a decent plus. Todd Heap is another one that may be shopped around if these rumblings are true about he and Harbaugh. He has done us well since he has been here, but has not been healthy in a while now. The Ravens do a good job of finding tight ends and making them work.

I would not be suprised if we have a solid season and Bisciotti attempts to keep Scott, Lewis and Suggs. There will have to be enough money to go around though.
phish

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

Shudom wrote:
Man you talk alot....lol, how about this, spread the field and take what is available, run or pass either way the clock is running and who knows, just might call a good one and get a score.
Jonosmith

Towson, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

Chi Chi wrote:
"When Jarret Johnson was flagged for that critical unnecessary roughness penalty, Harbaugh confronted him about it on the sideline."
Yeah, and Johnson waved him off like a mosquito. What a confrontation!
Do you really believe JJ can just tell Harbaugh where to go?
Jonosmith

Towson, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2008

Shudom wrote:
However, the notion of a rift between Harbaugh and Heap does bother me a bit. I would like to know more about that.
You know, that is really none of your business.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Antwan Barnes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rex: Mark Sanchez's career is not over (Oct '13) Oct '13 Geno on the Beno 2
New York Jets - Where Are Additions Needed? (May '13) May '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Free Agent Inside Linebackers (Feb '13) Feb '13 The_Solution 3
Eagles aren't obsessing about McNabb (Oct '10) Oct '10 Shadoz 1
Rookies told to play like Raven (Jul '09) Sep '09 Bob Roberts 27
'I don't believe it for one second' (Dec '08) Dec '08 Jimmy 40
McAlister in no mood to discuss not starting (Oct '08) Oct '08 Frank Kush 17

Search the Antwan Barnes Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••