Rivers leads Chargers to win over Oak...

Rivers leads Chargers to win over Oakland

There are 27 comments on the Sports Network story from Dec 31, 2007, titled Rivers leads Chargers to win over Oakland. In it, Sports Network reports that:

Philip Rivers completed 13-of-23 passes for 135 yards and two touchdowns, as the San Diego Chargers defeated the Oakland Raiders, 30-17, at McAfee Coliseum. via Sports Network

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sports Network.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“I knew it.Hank's a RaidersFan!”

Since: Feb 07

Raleigh, NC

#21 Jan 3, 2008
You contradict yourself...you say W's is all that matters and that's why Rivers is better...then you say Manning and Brady put up good numbers and get W's which is why they are the top two...so its not just about the W? make up your mind. You disappoint me. I thought you knew football better than you are showing. It is definetly not just about W's, If that was the case than Rivers and Brees both suck as they have never won an SB. Marino is a Top tier QB and by your standard's Tony Gonzalez is not one of if not the best TE to play the game? He never won a Superbowl, is he not any good? Gimmie a break...if you want to stick with QB's what about Donavan McNabb...He is a great QB, but never won an SB...Fran Tarkenton????the list goes on...Jim Kelley?? and not to mention W's are important but Rivers is a lot less of a reason for your W's the W's Brees got when he was a Charger where in great part...Rivers didn't have near as much to do with your record last year as LT did...bottom line Brees didn't have the same supporting cast...Rivers was Crap this year...as was Brees... Chargers didn't start winning this year until LT woke up...Do you really think Rivers is the reason for the success the Chargers have had??? Please tell me you understand the game better than that. and YES Brees is a better QB. If you want to get technical...LT and not Rivers is better than Brees. Brees is a better QB. Without LT, Rivers couldn't hold Brees' jock strap.
scsuperchargers wrote:
<quoted text>
not factual at all raiderfaith.
brees '07-'08 - 6.8 yp throw
rivers '07-'08 - 6.9 yp throw
not trying to sound repetitive, but wins and losses are the ONLY REAL STATS that matter. which again, is why philip rivers is the better qb and drew brees is overrated. manning and brady are the top two qb's because they have good numbers and they WIN. carson palmer could be up there is he would actually win games... marino was a great qb, but he was no elite qb like joe montana, aikman or brett favre because he didn't have the W's!
rivers is 25-7 in his FIRST two years starting compared to brees who went 16-16. just wait, because rivers will help SD win a superbowl ring in the next few years.

Raleigh, NC

#22 Jan 3, 2008
6.8 vs. 6.9 are you kidding me? that's your defense for Rivers???
scsuperchargers wrote:
<quoted text>
not factual at all raiderfaith.
brees '07-'08 - 6.8 yp throw
rivers '07-'08 - 6.9 yp throw
not trying to sound repetitive, but wins and losses are the ONLY REAL STATS that matter. which again, is why philip rivers is the better qb and drew brees is overrated. manning and brady are the top two qb's because they have good numbers and they WIN. carson palmer could be up there is he would actually win games... marino was a great qb, but he was no elite qb like joe montana, aikman or brett favre because he didn't have the W's!
rivers is 25-7 in his FIRST two years starting compared to brees who went 16-16. just wait, because rivers will help SD win a superbowl ring in the next few years.
pro

Fort Thomas, KY

#23 Jan 3, 2008
Shut up! Both Brees and Rivers suck!
scsuperchargers

San Clemente, CA

#24 Jan 4, 2008
RaiderFaith wrote:
You contradict yourself...you say W's is all that matters and that's why Rivers is better...then you say Manning and Brady put up good numbers and get W's which is why they are the top two...so its not just about the W? make up your mind. You disappoint me. I thought you knew football better than you are showing. It is definetly not just about W's, If that was the case than Rivers and Brees both suck as they have never won an SB. Marino is a Top tier QB and by your standard's Tony Gonzalez is not one of if not the best TE to play the game? He never won a Superbowl, is he not any good? Gimmie a break...if you want to stick with QB's what about Donavan McNabb...He is a great QB, but never won an SB...Fran Tarkenton????the list goes on...Jim Kelley?? and not to mention W's are important but Rivers is a lot less of a reason for your W's the W's Brees got when he was a Charger where in great part...Rivers didn't have near as much to do with your record last year as LT did...bottom line Brees didn't have the same supporting cast...Rivers was Crap this year...as was Brees... Chargers didn't start winning this year until LT woke up...Do you really think Rivers is the reason for the success the Chargers have had??? Please tell me you understand the game better than that. and YES Brees is a better QB. If you want to get technical...LT and not Rivers is better than Brees. Brees is a better QB. Without LT, Rivers couldn't hold Brees' jock strap. <quoted text>
elite qb's win and have great numbers! stats only tell PART of the story. like a broken record, i will repeat myself: WINS ARE WHAT TRULY MATTER. rivers has been a starter for two years... he will get the big wins very soon. SB's are one thing, but WINS are another. if marino had won the big game, he would be up there will the elite qb's who lead their teams to at least one ring... but he never won the big game, and rightly so, he is left out of many of the "greatest of all time arguments".

and don't lecture me on why the chargers win games. like i said, i have watched every fucking game for many years. since you're a raider fan first and foremost- you should stop pretending that you know all about the players on MY TEAM. i am aware that LT is a huge part of our wins, but rivers does an excellent job LEADING the bolts too. he does a much better job than brees ever did.
and by the way, antonio gates is a better TE than tony.

Raleigh, NC

#26 Jan 4, 2008
You say you are a Charger fan but you don't even understand your own teams success. LT is the leader on your team, they played terrible when Rivers was leading without LT performing...Now LT steps up his game and you want to give credit to Rivers? Are you slow? Don't bother answering that I already know the answer. Yes you need to be lectured because you haven't a clue what causes teams to W and L . Your team gets W's because of its supporting cast not be cause of Rivers(LT rallies the team not Rivers). You could plug in Ryan Leaf if your O-Line played like they do for LT. LT is the driving force(and leader) not Rivers, Rivers is a prop...How can you say he leads the team when they perform well when LT is doing his thing and not well when he isn't. If you believe Rivers is the leader on the Chargers your football knowledge is a joke. Again I thought you understood football better, I guess I was wrong.
scsuperchargers wrote:
<quoted text>
elite qb's win and have great numbers! stats only tell PART of the story. like a broken record, i will repeat myself: WINS ARE WHAT TRULY MATTER. rivers has been a starter for two years... he will get the big wins very soon. SB's are one thing, but WINS are another. if marino had won the big game, he would be up there will the elite qb's who lead their teams to at least one ring... but he never won the big game, and rightly so, he is left out of many of the "greatest of all time arguments".
and don't lecture me on why the chargers win games. like i said, i have watched every fucking game for many years. since you're a raider fan first and foremost- you should stop pretending that you know all about the players on MY TEAM. i am aware that LT is a huge part of our wins, but rivers does an excellent job LEADING the bolts too. he does a much better job than brees ever did.
and by the way, antonio gates is a better TE than tony.
scsuperchargers

San Clemente, CA

#27 Jan 5, 2008
RaiderFaith wrote:
You say you are a Charger fan but you don't even understand your own teams success. LT is the leader on your team, they played terrible when Rivers was leading without LT performing...Now LT steps up his game and you want to give credit to Rivers? Are you slow? Don't bother answering that I already know the answer. Yes you need to be lectured because you haven't a clue what causes teams to W and L . Your team gets W's because of its supporting cast not be cause of Rivers(LT rallies the team not Rivers). You could plug in Ryan Leaf if your O-Line played like they do for LT. LT is the driving force(and leader) not Rivers, Rivers is a prop...How can you say he leads the team when they perform well when LT is doing his thing and not well when he isn't. If you believe Rivers is the leader on the Chargers your football knowledge is a joke. Again I thought you understood football better, I guess I was wrong. <quoted text>
once again, you show that you watch NO chargers games. i realize that rivers is not the #1 reason why we win as a team, but he deserves plenty of credit. HE HAS LEAD THIS TEAM TO SEVERAL WINS THIS SEASON AND LAST SEASON. bottomline, teams win games not individuals. and philip rivers leading the chargers has been waaaaaayyy more successful compared to what brees accomplished with the same supporting cast...

enough with this repetitive shit because we obviously aren't going to persuade one another. so be smart, and just trust that i'm right, and leave it at that. haha.

go chargers.
Andrew

Bridgewater, NJ

#28 Jan 5, 2008
Your not right! I am not a Rivers or Brees fan, and i would be willing to admit who is better easily because i dont favor one over the other! But the fact is that Brees is better than Rivers!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antonio Gates Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Envisioning the New Viking Offense (May '14) May '14 viking nation 4
News Raiders Can Play Spoiler For Chargers' Playoff ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Flynnished 7
News One Man's Opinion: Chargers' playoff hopes thre... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Lois Garcia 1
News One Man's Opinion: Stormy days ahead for Charge... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Crap Thunder 2
News Hurricane Paul weakens to Cat 2 storm in Pacific (Oct '12) Oct '12 Krap Thunder 2
News Over the Rivers and through the Air to Oakland'... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Dec 2012 8
News Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates Will Not Play A... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Laughing Bear Fan 1
More from around the web