How The Star's writers see it

How The Star's writers see it

There are 79 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 10, 2008, titled How The Star's writers see it. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

This isn't about revenge or payback or any catchy word you want to use. It's about one team being better than the other.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Our Time

Williamstown, VT

#63 Jan 11, 2008
Why the Bolts Are A Paper Tiger

The Chargers won their last six games of the regular season, plus a wild card game. But who did they play during that seemingly “impressive” winning streak?

Nov 25 They beat Baltimore, which was in the middle of a nine game losing streak. They had lost their previous 4 games, lost to SD, and would go on to lose their next 4 games as well.

Dec 2 SD beat Kansas City. Exactly the same story. KC had lost its previous 4 games, lost to SD, and would go on to lose its next 4 games.

Dec 9 SD beat Tennessee in over-time. The Titans were in their mid season swoon at the time. Their loss to SD was their fourth in five games, which nearly dropped them out of playoff contention.

Dec 16 SD handed the slumping Lions their sixth loss in a row.

Dec 24 SD gave Denver its fourth loss in five games.(Denver’s only win during that span was over the even more pathetic Chiefs, who were losing nine in a row.)

Dec 30 SD gave the Raiders their 4th loss in a row.

The only team with a winning record that SD faced during that stretch was TN, but even the Titans were playing their worst football of the season when they faced the Chargers. Every other team that SD played over the last six weeks not only had a losing record, but was losing all of their games left and right.

Hardly impressive.
MrBolt

San Diego, CA

#64 Jan 12, 2008
Football is a game of heart, faith and determination against insurmountable odds. Mark my words here, the chargers will win this game 31 to 28 and will prove everyone but Bolts fans wrong. Cromatie and little sproes will come up big in this game.
GO COLTS

Carmel, IN

#65 Jan 12, 2008
still playing wrote:
Hey who are the Broncos playing this week?
<quoted text>
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NOW THAT FUNNY RIGHT THERE!!!
Matt Snell

Lorraine, Canada

#66 Jan 12, 2008
Denver Post Friday
Pats and Colts vs. world
"Shanahan said there was a huge gap between New England and Indianapolis, and every other NFL team, including his Broncos. He also said the Chargers could beat the top two provided they played their best game. "

--

every single talking head not only discounts the chargers but thinks colts will blow them out. these so-called experts forget that 1 year ago this weekend the almost identical chargers team was considered the best team in football. and then because of bonehead playcalling by shottenheimer and cameron and an idiot d-back mccree intercepting not knocking down a pass, the patriots undeservedly beat them. san diego has won 7 in a row right now. defense is great. they beat colts last 2 meetings. the previous meeting in indianapolis 2 years ago, they knocked the undefeated 13-0 colts from the unbeaten ranks. san diego is 8-3 playing in indy. even without gates if he doesnt play, last week tennessee led them 6-0 and after gates got hurt chargers scored 17 points to win 17-6. Gates only caught 2 passes in the game, his 288 pound replacement Manumaleuna then caught 2 passes for 5 yards more than Gates. chargers are the team under the so-called experts radar not the colts. besides chargers can beat the patriots too and also have in the past. whoever wins the colts/chargers game will beat the patriots next week.

note 1- only reason colts got back in the game late last time was idiot playcalling of chargers and terrible play of rivers(including dropping the ball trying to pass in his own endzone) in the 4th quarter that let them back in game.

note 2 - gates has not been the main weapon this year as in the past.
Why

Noblesville, IN

#67 Jan 12, 2008
Chris wrote:
I'm for anyone that the Colts are playing. GO Chargers!!!!!!!!!!
Why?????
brt jns

Adrian, MI

#68 Jan 12, 2008
Our Time wrote:
Why the Bolts Are A Paper Tiger
The Chargers won their last six games of the regular season, plus a wild card game. But who did they play during that seemingly “impressive” winning streak?
Nov 25 They beat Baltimore, which was in the middle of a nine game losing streak. They had lost their previous 4 games, lost to SD, and would go on to lose their next 4 games as well.

Dec 2 SD beat Kansas City. Exactly the same story. KC had lost its previous 4 games, lost to SD, and would go on to lose its next 4 games.
Dec 9 SD beat Tennessee in over-time. The Titans were in their mid season swoon at the time. Their loss to SD was their fourth in five games, which nearly dropped them out of playoff contention.
Dec 16 SD handed the slumping Lions their sixth loss in a row.
Dec 24 SD gave Denver its fourth loss in five games.(Denver’s only win during that span was over the even more pathetic Chiefs, who were losing nine in a row.)
Dec 30 SD gave the Raiders their 4th loss in a row.
The only team with a winning record that SD faced during that stretch was TN, but even the Titans were playing their worst football of the season when they faced the Chargers. Every other team that SD played over the last six weeks not only had a losing record, but was losing all of their games left and right.
Hardly impressive.
Freakin colts fans kill me. they always say the other team has had a soft schedual and then they site that they play in the toughest div in football. WHAT A JOKE! it is such a tough division they let one of the teams from the div into the playoffs. PLEASE give me a break from that crap. Indy has the softest schedual, which leads to their soft under belly. they are not forged by fire, put them in a close game this weekend and they will lose. can't wait to hear the excuses! look at your own schedual, WEAK.
yeah right

Noblesville, IN

#69 Jan 12, 2008
NFL Phd wrote:
You guys are homers. If you had any understanding of the game or if you were objective you would see that this is going to be a dog fight.
Manning is over rated as are the Colts. I'll be posting on Monday. I want to see your excuses when the Colts go down.
Ha Ha Ha. Now who is the homer? If you think the Colts are overrated I guess you haven't been watching. Prediction: Colts 38 Chargers 17.
Matt Snell

Gatineau, Canada

#70 Jan 12, 2008
brt jns wrote:
<quoted text>
Freakin colts fans kill me. they always say the other team has had a soft schedual and then they site that they play in the toughest div in football. WHAT A JOKE! it is such a tough division they let one of the teams from the div into the playoffs. PLEASE give me a break from that crap. Indy has the softest schedual, which leads to their soft under belly. they are not forged by fire, put them in a close game this weekend and they will lose. can't wait to hear the excuses! look at your own schedual, WEAK.
just look at who colts beat? which top level teams? tennessee? by 2 points? thats who chargers just beat a second time. colts beat jax by 3 recently and at home. the only wins the colts have against winning teams are jax, tenn, and tampa bay 9-8.
Our Time

Williamstown, VT

#71 Jan 12, 2008
Matt Snell wrote:
san diego has won 7 in a row right now. defense is great.
Besides TN, all of those wins were against teams that not only had losing records, they were reeling, in the midst of long losing streaks.
Our Time

Williamstown, VT

#72 Jan 12, 2008
Be happy and satisfied with your two wins over Indy in regular season games, Bolts fans.

These are the playoffs. Your team does not know how to win when the post season comes. The Colts have been to the mountain top. And they're certainly not going to let an upstart team that couldn't win a playoff game for 13 years be the ones to keep them from getting back.

Fuhget about it.

Colts go marching on.

It's OUR TIME!!
Sam

Fall River, MA

#73 Jan 12, 2008
I'm a Pats fan and I think and hope the Colts win, there is no team that whines more than SD, and they are the most overrated team in the league next to the Steelers.

The question I have is how does Sanders, who isn't in the top 40 in any defensive statistical category, win the Defensive Player of the Year Award? The award isn't for the hardest hitter or best tackler in the league, which Sanders might very well be, but for the best defensive player. Sanders might be the Colts defensive MVP but he isn't the best defensive player in the league.
Matt Snell

Richelieu, Canada

#74 Jan 12, 2008
"Besides TN, all of those wins were against teams that not only had losing records"

i repeat colts only beat 3 teams with a winning record jax, tenn and tampa bay 9-8. chargers only beat 2 teams colts and tenn. but there once was a 14-0 team, the miami dolphins who only beat 2 teams with a winning record in their perfect regular season the giants and the chiefs and both of them were only 8-6. fact is these teams matchup well and the chargers always play their colts tough.

if chargers win on sunday , it will be because of their defense. and they can stop peyton manning.
BostonAmit

Princeton, MA

#75 Jan 12, 2008
That isn't a good question about Sanders. You do not have to be in the top statistical categories in defense to be a impact defensive player. Just look at Richard Seymour and what he does for the Pats whole defensive line when healthy and occupying two of the opposing teams linemen. Defense is more than just stats and sack and tackles. Rodney Harrison is not a stats leader on the Pats. Would you question his importance to the defense of the Patriots? Not at all. Sanders changes that whole secondary. Just like the guy on Baltimore whose name I cannot remember at the moment that belichick loves so much. Sanders is well deserving. He is a monster back there and changes the game. You never feared Indy's defense before he got there.
Sam wrote:
I'm a Pats fan and I think and hope the Colts win, there is no team that whines more than SD, and they are the most overrated team in the league next to the Steelers.
The question I have is how does Sanders, who isn't in the top 40 in any defensive statistical category, win the Defensive Player of the Year Award? The award isn't for the hardest hitter or best tackler in the league, which Sanders might very well be, but for the best defensive player. Sanders might be the Colts defensive MVP but he isn't the best defensive player in the league.
broncotodd

Covington, KY

#76 Jan 13, 2008
Indy Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Do you pick the opposing team just not to pick the home team? Or do you give legitimate reasons for your pick? The Charges did not win earlier this season as much as the Colts lost it. A champion team does not lose to the same team twice. Hear that Mr. Brady?
hey indyfan, what happened this time? The colts give it away again? A champion team does not lose to a the same team twice? Man, what team are you going to root for now? lololololololol
broncotodd

Covington, KY

#77 Jan 13, 2008
yeah right wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha Ha Ha. Now who is the homer? If you think the Colts are overrated I guess you haven't been watching. Prediction: Colts 38 Chargers 17.
now lets see, who won the game? did your colts score 38 points? boomer on cbs even called out the refs for playing favorites. Dude, you all got punked...lololololol
broncotodd

Covington, KY

#78 Jan 13, 2008
GO COLTS wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NOW THAT FUNNY RIGHT THERE!!!
hey who did the colts play this week? oh yeah, they lost, again to the chargers. you colt fans got just what you deserved, lololololol. YOU LOST
broncotodd

Covington, KY

#79 Jan 13, 2008
stillfungi wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like those homers in vegas eh genius? Colts are now laying 9. We heard your mouth, where's your money?
Colts 37 Chargers 17
hey let me know next time you bet, i bet the opposite then i will be able to put my two kids through college. did you hear me this time?? lololololol.... you all lost again..
broncotodd

Covington, KY

#80 Jan 13, 2008
Truth Cop wrote:
<quoted text>
We'll do what we always do...
Wait for idiots like you to admit they were wrong.
Colts will win. Deal with that truth.
you are right, the colts do what they always do...they lost. idiot? come on now, this is another example of the arrogance of colt fan. enjoy the lose, again. broncos rule. last time to win two super bowls in a row.
Matt Snell

Lorraine, Canada

#81 Jan 13, 2008
hate to say i told you so but i told you so

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antonio Gates Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Envisioning the New Viking Offense (May '14) May '14 viking nation 4
News Raiders Can Play Spoiler For Chargers' Playoff ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Flynnished 7
News One Man's Opinion: Chargers' playoff hopes thre... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Lois Garcia 1
News One Man's Opinion: Stormy days ahead for Charge... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Crap Thunder 2
News Hurricane Paul weakens to Cat 2 storm in Pacific (Oct '12) Oct '12 Krap Thunder 2
News Over the Rivers and through the Air to Oakland'... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Dec 2012 8
News Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates Will Not Play A... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Laughing Bear Fan 1
More from around the web