Will FSU Coach Bobby Bowden still surpass JoePa's wins?

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Bobby Bowden 's chances of retiring with the most wins in major-college football history may have taken a considerable hit.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Let it go

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2008

Ok 'Noles fans, speak up, do you really care if Bobby ends up with moe wins than JoePA? I do not. They are both legends and will be remembered as two of the all-time winningest coaches. Reading about this is really getting old, and the 'Haters' just use it to bad-mouth Bobby. To say that this is his priority, after such an incredible professional and personal life is just dumb.
Pago Pago Trojan

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2008

We've never really cared for that guy up at PSU. His side line demeaner...never smiles, never says anything good to the news media, just looks unhappy all the time. Sad...
TRIPP

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2008

It makes no differnece who ends up with more wins. Bobby Bowden has taken
FSU from the bottom of Division 1 to
a 14 year run Dynasty that College Football will never see again.

Thanks Coach, If you end up second in alltime wins, you are still #1 in our hearts!
nolealum

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2008

I am very proud of the great run FSU had and believe Bowden will go down as one of the best college coaches ever regardless of wins. However this has now become a distraction and somewhat of an embarrassment. It cannot be good for recruiting in any way not to have a head coach firmly in place. Freshmen recruits not knowing whether Fisher will take the helm by 2011 could definetly sway their choice. We need stability and we need it now! Congrats to both Coach Bowden and Paterno but FSU it is time to move on for the sake of the program which made some good strides this year. Do the right thing for the program you built Coach Bowden!
omeganole2

Hudson, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

I want Bobby to WIN. We are LUCKY to have him coaching our team and I hope he stays there for a long time. Bobby made FSU football what it is today.
Troy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

Even though Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno are the most winningest FBS coaches, they have taken very different paths to earn those wins.

Joe Pa did it by coaching at Penn State who has consistently been a Top 25 program and playing a tough schedule.

Bobby Bowden did it by coaching other programs before coming to FSU and building the program from a doormat to a national powerhouse.

IMO, Bobby Bowden had the tougher road than Joe Pa to earn his wins. You can argue that they also count his wins at Samford in his all-time record, he elevated FSU football.

Both are past their prime, but are better than a lot of other younger coaches out there.
T K Weatherman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

Bobby--Stay Forever!! Even after you have expired we will prop you up like "Weekend At Bernie's". We have to keep you coaching. Your underappreciated sons have all been fired so you must carry on the name. In fact I don't think you should have capitulated in Jeff's case. He has a brilliant offensive mind and just needed about 5 more years to get things moving. In fact Tommy should be hired as your Spiritual coach and Terry can be coach of Extracurricular Activities. Steve can be Team Treasurer.

Bobby, Don't let them run you off. They are too dumb to realize that your wanderings along the sideline are all a subtrefuge as to you sending in plays. It's clever the way you appear incoherent in interviews to throw teams off the track. You are Machevellian in your genius. STAY!!!! Bobby, the game needs you!! Just tell TK to take the buyout of Fischer out of his salary. I remember TK from the 60's--a worthless flanker. What has he ever done for FSU? You have stood up for men like Deion, Peter and the guy who likes to relax his dates with potions. You have also stood up for those put upon University of Colorado players when they were asociated with sexual misconduct., and the intervention for your player who was charged witrh assault was also noteworthy. Still remember you allowing a tired Deion to play in a bowl game--Why should a player of his caliber have to be enrolled. I'm rooting for you Bobby!! You'll beat Florida again, it will just take some time. I, along with many others, am prepared to give you as much time as you want. Maybe you can coach until you're a 100!!!

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

As much as I'd like Bobby to overtake Joe, it's not going to happen. I read that the "head-coach-in-waiting " clause in Jimbo Fisher's contract has a 2010 deadline for him to be officially named head coach. JoPa just signed an extension that will keep him there through 2011.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Antone Smith Discussions

Search the Antone Smith Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
When will Florida State be a perennial power ag... (Aug '07) Feb '11 deathvalley 24
Florida State running back Antone Smith blames ... (Apr '09) Oct '09 I Know 52
Reaction to the Transfer of Former FSU Running ... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Longballjim - FSU 63 1
NFL Draft: Former Pahokee star Antone Smith tab... (Apr '09) Apr '09 jnic 2
Florida State Seminoles sophomore RBs run well ... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Pago Pago Trojan 2
Seminoles definitely headed in right direction (Dec '08) Dec '08 localsportsfan 4
Case for the Seminoles (Nov '08) Nov '08 fsuistoast 12
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••