Minnesota Vikings: Antoine Winfield says setback in practice sl...

There are 37 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 7, 2009, titled Minnesota Vikings: Antoine Winfield says setback in practice sl.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Minnesota Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield said today that he suffered a setback in his recovery from a fractured right foot, which has sidelined him since Oct.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Viking Fan South

United States

#22 Dec 8, 2009
Well, some good posts here, not like in the past when everybody wes trying to shoot each other down. Say it like it is, I love the Vikes, but, our defensive backs suck, Williams has never met a tackle that he couldn't avoid.(love the Maggie Williams comment). The rest of the DB's couldn't cover a bunk bed with a king sized quilt. Too bad, because the front seven is suberb, now we lost Henderson, bad news. Winfield is a star and it is too bad he is hurt, just have to disagree with comments about him not playing hurt because he is ducking anything he is too good and too tough for that kind of treatment, we need him back, but when it really counts. As for AP, he is not producing and it's hard to say why. No longer can people blame others, like Farve's hand offs, it's AP, he fumbles and perhaps is so concerned about this problem that he is not hitting the hole or seam or crack, or whatever, to help the team. We have to have a back who is dependable and that we can count on for postiive yardage, we do not need runs of 25-30-35 yards, we need runs of 5+ to give our offense better options on 2nd down, but these constant runs for negative yardage or even a yard or two just are not accptable. Time for AP to stand up and be accountable for his own poor showings and stop blaming run blitz, 8-man in the box, or faulty line play for his lack of production. And last,but not least, our kick coverage teams should be fired, start with the special teams coach on this one. How in the world can we consistantly give up big plays game after game with this unit. If you are like me, every time we punt, I cringe, I am praying for a fair catch by the opposition. How can a unit be so bad so often without somebody paying the price. Somebody other than the team and us fans. Somebody should just lose their job over this. It is just not acceptable. As the quote from Jerry Glanville, as heard on the old NFL tapes when he was angered by a bad call, he said, "This is the NFL, Not For Long" if you keep making calls like that one, well, it holds true for performance just like the kind we are getting from our kick coverage group. Can't fire all the players, but a coach or two should go. We will not beat the Saints, despite the strong play of the front seven they will not get to Brees in time and the DB's can't cover even average receivers. To get to the Super Bowl we need for somebody else to knock off New Orleans. Now they feel like truly Supermen becase of the Redskins fiasco. Can you imagine beings a "skins" fan? So, maybe those who live up in Minnesota can rock the talk shows, editorial pages or more blogs calling for ACTION on some of these points and more that others have surfaced. If there is a 12th man on the field it is the fans, support the team, you bet, but to be blind to major problem, not a chance. 10-2 is great, but we have problems that need to be addressed, these are not warts that Childress likes to talk about, these are pboblems that need to be resolved, right now, we might not have Bret next year, we have to win now.
Johnny Utah

River Edge, NJ

#23 Dec 8, 2009
It really wont matter until Frasier is replaced with somebody who can coach. Winfield is our best Defensive player, but no use in rushing him back if we are still winning. I'd say bring him back vs Carolina, give him 2 more weeks off and get him ready for the playoffs.

No reason to rush him back to play the Bengals, they are a mainly a rushing team anyways. Asher Allen has been doing a pretty decent job, and some of the those plays against Arizona couldn't have been stopped by anyone. Perfect throws, and perfect catches. We do miss his tackling ability though, no doubt about that.
Johnny Utah

River Edge, NJ

#24 Dec 8, 2009
I think its our Offensive line just can't run block. It's almost like there are men in the backfield everytime we even try to hand the ball off. I think something Favre or peterson is doing is tipping their hand that the play is a run. Our offensive line does a pretty good job at pass-protection, however we can't run block to save a life. Why is that? Somebody needs to figure this out and quickly. If I'm the coach, I'm going back to the film and looking at all Peterson's big plays from the last 3 seasons. Take the 5 best running plays and work on those, throw the rest out. Do what works, and don't get fancy. PS. Tahi needs to go
get the farve out of here

Billings, MT

#25 Dec 8, 2009
I would just like to say that to begin with I am a dyed in the wool 40 plus year purple lovin' viking fan. I did not care for Denny Green much, not because he was black, but because he spewed racial injustice crap too much and did a pathetic job of acquiring talent. Randy my favorite viking ever Moss being an exception. I am not a Chilly lover because he gets better talent but does little else to inspire or translate that to game day, glorified cheerleader routinely gets outcoached. Brett Farve is the enemy and I will not lower myself to embrace him for any reason including a Super Bowl HA HA. He is a good player no doubt but can you imagine Barry Sanders or Walter Payton as vikes and I loved both of them. Too much hate for the Farve and rightfully so. Anyway the point you say is that to love the purple is divine. Farves performance in Arizona is my case and point I believed that that would be more the norm this season and had the schedule not been the patsiest thing ever probably would be. The playoff stretch is upon us and he is not what you think he is and damn anyone who took Tavaris's year , yes listen up, to grow with a patsy schedule and my second favorite viking ever Peterson and roll to victory in the Norris. Excluding Peterson for Farve's sake is the biggest blunder ever and totally unforgiveable. No running game and a has been gunslinger and its playoff time with a suspect defense, Ho f...... Ho. By the way the manuverability of a QB should never be dismissed lightly refer to Vince Young.
Purple forever and drink the Kool-Aid.
HEY GREAT FALLS

Wolverton, MN

#26 Dec 8, 2009
Shut up man, it sounds like you are just negative about life so leave us out of it idiot.
Viking Fan South

United States

#28 Dec 8, 2009
An interesting note came from a former player who stated that McKInney was tipping off plays. Johnny Utah thinks Farve or Pederson are tipping their hands, well, fans. This has happened to us before. In the Super Bowl between the Vikes and the Pittsburg Steelers there was a report that Chuck Forman was tipping plays by the way he stood in the backfield. According the the Steelers Forman would line up in his set position and if the run was to him he would line one foot out in front of the other. If the run was not to him he lined up with his feet parrallel. Several years later, 1983 in fact, I had dinner with Rocky Bleir, Rocky was Frano Harris's understudy and played in that game. I asked him about the Forman story, Rocky confirmed that Chuck was telling the plays by the way he stood when he set up. It would be worth noting if there is a problem and this is not just some witch hunt or casting blame elsewhere, but, it did happen before, and to the Viking and in a Super Bowl. AP has to be held accountable for his performance, just as each and every one of us is held accountable for our own performance, but if a legitimate reason is discovered that contributes to poor perfromance than this must be investigated and if there is a "tell", then let's correct it. Or, maybe set somebody up. I'm from out of state and travel and have no access to the Twin City talk shows, others of you might, call start talking about it, make the Vikes staff aware of it. It it's not the problem then they have to move on, but fix it they must.

“sorry we're out of cheese”

Since: Feb 07

jacksonville beach, FL

#29 Dec 8, 2009
vosrayh wrote:
Adrian Peterson is past his prime! we should trade him now and get some good draft picks. This season is over I guarantee if we make to the playoffs and win a game we will definetly lose to th saints!! Ill bet anyone money on that.
thanks i needed a good laugh
muskratbob

Beckley, WV

#30 Dec 9, 2009
antione windfield we despertely need you if you are able our secondary is getting so bad we may have to hire off the street. We can't win if they got the ball and throwing touchdowns. The vikings need to stop the passing game and the bengels are one of the most balanced teams in the nfl and they can run as well as pass. I afread of this game it may be another trap game we got to get it going early and not let up go vikings.
Frank

Greer, SC

#31 Dec 9, 2009
A couple of things: At some point, Winfield is either going to have to get better or play hurt. I'd like to see him get better, but if we don't have him on Sunday, I'm not sure I like our chances.

Second, we can gripe all we want about losing Darren Sharper and keeping Tyrell Johnson, but Sharper wasn't used in our defense in the same way the Saints are using him. That's why Sharper didn't have as many picks last year as he has this year. Our secondary looked bad against the Cards, but one of the reasons for that was that our D-Line didn't get their usual pass rush last Sunday. If that continues this week, the only way we win is in a shootout (40-37 or something like that).
Camel Tow

Calgary, Canada

#32 Dec 9, 2009
Frank wrote:
A couple of things: At some point, Winfield is either going to have to get better or play hurt. I'd like to see him get better, but if we don't have him on Sunday, I'm not sure I like our chances.
Second, we can gripe all we want about losing Darren Sharper and keeping Tyrell Johnson, but Sharper wasn't used in our defense in the same way the Saints are using him. That's why Sharper didn't have as many picks last year as he has this year. Our secondary looked bad against the Cards, but one of the reasons for that was that our D-Line didn't get their usual pass rush last Sunday. If that continues this week, the only way we win is in a shootout (40-37 or something like that).
you are correct about Sharper...his successful season to this point is yet ANOTHER example of how Klueless this staff of coaches are....just as they are doing to AP this year, they have no idea how to use our players properly....

“sorry we're out of cheese”

Since: Feb 07

jacksonville beach, FL

#33 Dec 9, 2009
they were smart to release sharper because he sucked ass his last couple years in MN. he got burnt more than that gay saints (or geaux saints) bong.
Dick Guzinyia

Southwest Brevard Cnty, FL

#34 Dec 9, 2009
He just needs a relaxing cruise on Minnetonka!

“sorry we're out of cheese”

Since: Feb 07

jacksonville beach, FL

#35 Dec 9, 2009
dont we all
Camel Tow

Calgary, Canada

#36 Dec 10, 2009
bulldog3 wrote:
they were smart to release sharper because he sucked **** his last couple years in MN. he got burnt more than that gay saints (or geaux saints) bong.
I will agree with you about him sucking last year. All you ever saw of him last year was the back of his jersey as he was chasing receivers downfield....however, even last year Sharper was quoted as saying that Klink was using him inproperly. At that time I thought he was full of sh*t but to see how he is playing this year in the Saints defense, well he must have been telling the truth...I don't know...
vosrayh

United States

#37 Dec 10, 2009
bulldog3 wrote:
<quoted text>
thanks i needed a good laugh
LOL me too! Just wanted peoples reaction!

“sorry we're out of cheese”

Since: Feb 07

jacksonville beach, FL

#38 Dec 10, 2009
Camel Tow wrote:
<quoted text>
I will agree with you about him sucking last year. All you ever saw of him last year was the back of his jersey as he was chasing receivers downfield....however, even last year Sharper was quoted as saying that Klink was using him inproperly. At that time I thought he was full of sh*t but to see how he is playing this year in the Saints defense, well he must have been telling the truth...I don't know...
trust me after seeing his play this year i KNOW it was a mistake to let him go. that secondary could use his help. i DO remember the last year brett favre played for the pack he made sharper look old and slow as he burned him often and let driver run past him for huge plays (one for a long touchdown reception.) im a fan of drew brees and the saints (although there is an a$$wipe on this forum who is doing a good job of turning me against them - wont mention any names) but when/if we play them we WILL beat them. And IMO i think klink uses everyone improperly most of the time.

VIKES RULE
muskratbob

Atlanta, GA

#39 Dec 10, 2009
Another set back? Go figure. Good thing we kept him. Chilly is a retard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antoine Winfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is it Tarvaris Time in Minnesota? (Dec '06) Apr '14 Magnum Man II 33
News Extra Points: CUT-ting through the NFL (Sep '13) Sep '13 viking nation 2
News 10 Early Winners and Losers of Minnesota Viking... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Bleeds Purple 1
News Minnesota Vikings need Xavier Rhodes to turn th... (Jun '13) Jun '13 viking nation 1
News Vikings have a slot for Robinson (May '13) May '13 viking nation 1
News Five areas of correction for the Vikings (May '13) May '13 Harry 3
News Could Vikings' Jared Allen bolt after this season? (May '13) May '13 bill 1
More from around the web