CB Benny Sapp returning to Vikings

The Minnesota Vikings have agreed to a new contract with cornerback Benny Sapp, keeping him in Minnesota. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
purplenation 4-EVER

Duluth, MN

#1 Mar 9, 2010
So glad Benny's staying here. He is a very valuable part of our defense. He stepped in nicely for Winfield last season. SKOL!!
Bullfarts

United States

#2 Mar 9, 2010
Hence the lack of a Super Bowl ring

“Vikings Rock”

Since: Jun 08

Smallville, SD

#3 Mar 9, 2010
Sapp resigning was important to fill in the CB spot until Ced's back. Tomlinson OK, but I think Westbrook would be a better signing even though he's riskier with the concussion problems. I just think BW has more burst than LT now.
Favrenatic

South Saint Paul, MN

#4 Mar 9, 2010
sodakviking wrote:
Sapp resigning was important to fill in the CB spot until Ced's back. Tomlinson OK, but I think Westbrook would be a better signing even though he's riskier with the concussion problems. I just think BW has more burst than LT now.
You cannot trush Westbrook. He is always hurt and now you add concusions to the mix. Way too risky!
Bullfarts

United States

#5 Mar 9, 2010
BW has more burst, just look at his busted knee
muskratbob

Elkins, WV

#6 Mar 9, 2010
tomlinson be good or westbrook, yes we're glad benny sapp is back, We need a couple good offense lineman to protect favre better he took a bad betting in the last three games. We also need two or three good linebackers and a good wide receiver and tim tebow he the best college quarterback out there. He does not spend his time on the side line or in the doctors office as some do. Tebow holds records in the sec for passing and running touchdowns. Let tebow learn from the best brett favre. go vikings.
lyle

United States

#7 Mar 9, 2010
Quit wasting money on old guys who are just milking as much money as they can from stupid organizations like the Vikings. Don't sign Westbrook or Tomlison, Cut favre, Longwell, Sign Jackson and Anderson draft QB on day 2 along with Rosenfals and let them fight it out. Draft a kicker in 6th round who can kickoff and kick field goals draft a TE on day 2 who can snap the ball too a punter instead of wasting a roster spot on a long snapper use all this money you save on signing Kennedy and Edwards and a OT too replace Mckinnie.Signing Sapp was a good move and so was letting Taylor go I prefer Harvin in there instead of Taylor
Reality Checker

Las Vegas, NV

#8 Mar 9, 2010
Have to go with the 'no' crowd on Westbrook. I've always liked him for his versatile, consistent play, but I'm convinced his productive days are well behind him.

Two concussions in 2009, along with a knee problem. I almost think it would be unethical to sign a player like that right now. He's risking a healthy retirement if he pushes his luck on those concussions.

As for LT, I'm just not convinced he will fare much better than any of the top 10 RB prospects in the coming draft, which is widely considered to be very deep at that position. Again, great in his prime, but that was a long time ago.

With the RB class in this year's draft, I'd love to see the Vikes take advantage of the fact that AP will be the primary back, and draft a guy who not only will complement him, but serve as a long term insurance policy in the event he's ever injured or lost to another team. Would be nice to have that a long term solution ready to go when you need him, as opposed to a guy who might give you one or two half decent years.
Vikings 4Ever

Englewood, CO

#9 Mar 9, 2010
AP and LT in the backfield getting handoffs from Favre. This season is going to be AWESOME BABY!!! When will #21 Tomlinson Vikings jerseys be available?
Henry

Mankato, MN

#10 Mar 9, 2010
It may be fine to pick up Tomlinson near the end of his career in hopes that he has aa few miles (yards) left in him. But how about the very good back from Iowa eho was on the Taxi squad all last year. He should haver a lot more yards left in him - since the Vikings were dumb enough to let Taylor get away.
Dan

Andover, MN

#11 Mar 9, 2010
please tell me what t-joke has done to award him with a contract? this stiff cant read a play book or read defenses!!!! he doesnt listen to coaches, in which it got him benched (when he was told to get down when scrambling) after he got back from being on the injured report... last year he was seen multiple times on game days listening to his ipod and not learning from favre. time to just cut ties with this douchebag and draft a QB that can read!!!!!
Reality Checker

Las Vegas, NV

#12 Mar 9, 2010
Henry wrote:
It may be fine to pick up Tomlinson near the end of his career in hopes that he has aa few miles (yards) left in him. But how about the very good back from Iowa eho was on the Taxi squad all last year. He should haver a lot more yards left in him - since the Vikings were dumb enough to let Taylor get away.
Albert Young. I agree, I'd like to see him get a chance.

As for Taylor, you're wrong. The Vikes didn't 'let him get away'. They had no card to play. He had reached the NFL tenure required to be an unrestricted free agent when his contract expired. The only options they had would have been to offer him even MORE than the huge deal Chicago gave (a bad idea for any part-time player, and he might have decided to leave, anyway), OR... trade him away last year to make sure they got something for him.

Funny. I was practically BEGGING for a Chester Taylor trade before the start of the last season, because I knew he was coming up on free agency, and I suspected he didn't want to finish his career behind AP when he could still earn a starting role somewhere else. Everybody thought I was nuts then. Well? How's that look now? Would sure be nice to have picked up an extra 3rd round pick for Taylor when they had the chance.
Dan

Andover, MN

#13 Mar 9, 2010
please tell me what t-joke has done to award him with a contract? this stiff cant read a play book or read defenses!!!! he doesnt listen to coaches, in which it got him benched (when he was told to get down when scrambling) after he got back from being on the injured report... last year he was seen multiple times on game days listening to his ipod and not learning from favre. time to just cut ties with this **** and draft a QB that can read!!!!!
fan for life

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Mar 9, 2010
Vikings 4Ever wrote:
AP and LT in the backfield getting handoffs from Favre. This season is going to be AWESOME BABY!!! When will #21 Tomlinson Vikings jerseys be available?
Huzzah!! Dancing in the streets! Sign him sign him sign him sign him!!! We're going to the SB for sure!!! Lets just skip the regular season and playoffs, they are irrelevant anyway!!! I just ordered my MN LT jersey!!!!! Oh man the last piece of the puzzle......losers
jeb

Oakland, CA

#15 Mar 9, 2010
reality checker: agree with you once again. westbrook should retire. guy has not been healthy in years and now he carries a multitude of problems with him. i guess for what we will need him for (pretty much catching third down passes out of the backfield) LT will be just fine, but i assume he is going to want more then he is going to be worth to us.
btw, thomas jones (who rushed for 1400 yards and 14TD in 2009) just got signed by the cheifs: two years, first gets three mill, second gets two. for that price shouldn't we have been interested in him?
i am curious what we are gonna offer LT...he is a obviously a very 'proud' man. don't know how he will fit in in MN, especially after he and AD stuck it to each other last year.
jeb

Oakland, CA

#16 Mar 9, 2010
i like the look of albert young as well. i never like the idea of teams getting older rather than getting younger. we have enough pro-bowl leaders on this team, which generally motivates those young guys to step up and contribute a lot faster.
Bill Hicks

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Mar 9, 2010
Trade AP!
Dicck juan

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Mar 9, 2010
Dan wrote:
please tell me what t-joke has done to award him with a contract? this stiff cant read a play book or read defenses!!!! he doesnt listen to coaches, in which it got him benched (when he was told to get down when scrambling) after he got back from being on the injured report... last year he was seen multiple times on game days listening to his ipod and not learning from favre. time to just cut ties with this **** and draft a QB that can read!!!!!
Dude shut up!!

We know you HATE BLACK PEOPLE especially athletes so
be gone with your race baiting.

And teach your kids that African Americans are not scary
monsters. That was taught back in the KKK 50's & 60's
school of hate.
Reality Checker

Las Vegas, NV

#19 Mar 9, 2010
Dan wrote:
Dan. Dan, Dan, Dan...

I don't hear anybody claiming T-Jack is the franchise QB of the future. We all get that.

BUT... You don't just release a backup QB and THEN go looking for his replacement. No. You find the next guy FIRST, then you make some phony statement like, "We're going to let them compete in practice..", before eventually cutting the player you've found the replacement for.

Second, the Vikes didn't lock Tarvaris up with a new contract extension. They just tendered him a ONE YEAR DEAL for two reasons:

1) They buy time to see if there's someone better available.(See above)

2) If they DO lose him to another team, they get a 3rd round draft pick.

Now why would you think that extra draft pick is a bad thing?

It's not like they signed him to a 10 year, 100 million dollar deal. Get a grip.
Dev

Saint Cloud, MN

#20 Mar 9, 2010
Let's not worry about the RB position right now. We need to acquire at least one new starter for the O-Line. Also a new stud defensive back. I hope they use the draft to fill needs that have less depth than running back. We may need a new nose-tackle or a new pass rusher also. Not to mention middle linebacker.
What do you all think?

Signed,
Vikes Fan Since '68

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antoine Winfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is it Tarvaris Time in Minnesota? (Dec '06) Apr '14 Magnum Man II 33
Extra Points: CUT-ting through the NFL (Sep '13) Sep '13 viking nation 2
10 Early Winners and Losers of Minnesota Viking... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Bleeds Purple 1
Minnesota Vikings need Xavier Rhodes to turn th... (Jun '13) Jun '13 viking nation 1
Vikings have a slot for Robinson (May '13) May '13 viking nation 1
Five areas of correction for the Vikings (May '13) May '13 Harry 3
Could Vikings' Jared Allen bolt after this season? (May '13) May '13 bill 1

Antoine Winfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE