Defense sets the tone as Vikings wrap...

Defense sets the tone as Vikings wrap up a playoff spot with co...

There are 14 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 13, 2009, titled Defense sets the tone as Vikings wrap up a playoff spot with co.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

This text is replaced by the Flash movie. The momentum of a 10-1 start stopped on a proverbial dime last week in the desert, when the Vikings were outplayed in every phase by the defending NFC champion Arizona Cardinals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

yeah sure

Burnsville, MN

#1 Dec 14, 2009
I wonder, are there any fools who still think T-Jack would have taken the Vikes to this point? I laughed at the T-joke defenders during the preseason when they predicted that Favre had nothing left in the tank blah blah blah. You sure don't hear from those jokers anymore. Favre has what, 6 ints this year? I guess that isn't very many compared to Peyton Manning who has 14. What else do I rememver? Oh yeah, Favre is too old and not durable enough, well he is the all time record holder for consecutive games so that was dumb. Funny, I sure don't hear much from the know it all armchair QB's about T-jack anymore. Where did you chumps go?
Whatever

Chambersburg, PA

#2 Dec 14, 2009
That was exactly what the Vikings needed to do. They got back to Vikings, smashmouth, football. They ran and pounded, ran and passed. They got back to a balanced attack and mixed Chester in nicely. They continue that and stay away from the pass happiness, things will continue to look up. We got pass happy the past month and got away from what got us here. Now we're back, and we did it against the #1 rush D and scoring D in the league. Thats whats up!
Jack

Washington, DC

#3 Dec 14, 2009
Winfield is a difference maker.....possibly the best player on the team!

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Dec 14, 2009
yeah sure wrote:
I wonder, are there any fools who still think T-Jack would have taken the Vikes to this point? I laughed at the T-joke defenders during the preseason when they predicted that Favre had nothing left in the tank blah blah blah. You sure don't hear from those jokers anymore. Favre has what, 6 ints this year? I guess that isn't very many compared to Peyton Manning who has 14. What else do I rememver? Oh yeah, Favre is too old and not durable enough, well he is the all time record holder for consecutive games so that was dumb. Funny, I sure don't hear much from the know it all armchair QB's about T-jack anymore. Where did you chumps go?
i agree, with tjack right now we would be a 7 and 6 team
Doubting Thomas

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Dec 14, 2009
I'm curious where are all the Packer backers and Viking doubters today. The talk last week was how the Vikings were going to collapse and the Packers would run the table and win the division. Reality sucks for you people today doesn't it?!?!
LOL

Alexandria, VA

#6 Dec 14, 2009
oxboro wrote:
<quoted text>
i agree, with tjack right now we would be a 7 and 6 team
Don't know bout 7 and 6, But I do know Farve is a better QB. Just don't think you people that keep hating on T-Jack are right about him. I think the vikes would be somewhere around the Packs record with T-Jack as QB
Camel Tow

Calgary, Canada

#7 Dec 14, 2009
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't know bout 7 and 6, But I do know Farve is a better QB. Just don't think you people that keep hating on T-Jack are right about him. I think the vikes would be somewhere around the Packs record with T-Jack as QB
not even close....if TJOKE were our QB for the year, I would venture to say the Queens would be 5-8 and looking for a new head coach...
Sanford for starter SS

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Dec 14, 2009
SANFORD SHOULD START AT Strong Safety even if tyrell johnson is healthy. I like the three defensive players the vikings added this year's draft. Asher Allen, Jamarca Sanford, and Jasper Brinkley will all eventually be starters or key contributors for the Vikes. Brinkley already is as starter because of injury to EJ. But I think Sanford will beat out tryell johnson, and Asher Allen will be a solid nickle that pretty much will be the 12th man of the defense only because Winfield and Griffin are no slouches at corner either.
Whatever

Chambersburg, PA

#9 Dec 14, 2009
Sanford for starter SS wrote:
SANFORD SHOULD START AT Strong Safety even if tyrell johnson is healthy. I like the three defensive players the vikings added this year's draft. Asher Allen, Jamarca Sanford, and Jasper Brinkley will all eventually be starters or key contributors for the Vikes. Brinkley already is as starter because of injury to EJ. But I think Sanford will beat out tryell johnson, and Asher Allen will be a solid nickle that pretty much will be the 12th man of the defense only because Winfield and Griffin are no slouches at corner either.
It was only one and half games or something like that, but I think I may agree with you on the SS situation. I think Johnson will be a GOOD safety, but not in this type of defense. He's similar to Sharper, in being more of a free lancer. Don't think he's really a blanket safety. I think Sanford fits that mold better. I also believe that Winfield moves to the SS in 2 yrs to finish out his career, while Asher Allen or perhaps a future FA signing or draft pick takes over the CB spot.
IronRanger

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Dec 14, 2009
When considering the Packers, remember they lost to the Bengals, the Buccaneers who are now 1-12 and were swept by the Vikes.

Skol Vikings!
Bubba Max

Metter, GA

#11 Dec 14, 2009
I was encouraged with the way the Vikings bounced back from the Arizona debacle, but there's still a LOT of work to be done. The team must cut down on the penalties, and it must do a better job of protecting Favre. He's getting hit WAY too often.

Because of Favre's age and the team's various nagging injuries, it is imperative that the Vikings get the No. 2 seed and a first-round bye. However, the Cardinals and even the Eagles have a chance to overtake the Vikings if they don't take care of business against the Panthers and the Bears on the road.

Ideally, the Vikings will win both of those games so they can rest some of their key players in the regular season finale against the Giants, who could be fighting for a playoff berth.
MR RIGHT

De Pere, WI

#12 Dec 14, 2009
yeah sure wrote:
AMEN.
Angry Chair

Pennsauken, NJ

#13 Dec 14, 2009
Doubting Thomas wrote:
I'm curious where are all the Packer backers and Viking doubters today. The talk last week was how the Vikings were going to collapse and the Packers would run the table and win the division. Reality sucks for you people today doesn't it?!?!
Technically it could still happen, but doubtful. Vikings just need to take care of business. Packers defense looks good, but they are scoring too many FG's in the red zone. I'm still not 100% convinced the Vikings are a Super Bowl team though, definitely a contender though.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Since: Feb 08

Craigville

#14 Dec 14, 2009
If anything, another win silences the Viking detractors for one more week.
The pucker fans have to be feeling better now that they have that win streak, but they all know down deep that if it ends up against Brett one more time this year, Brett wins again. Favre will see TT's image in the teflon cieling as he fillets his former team AGAIN........
And then the streak will be FOUR
With a Vikings playoff record of 2-0 against the hackers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antoine Winfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is it Tarvaris Time in Minnesota? (Dec '06) Apr '14 Magnum Man II 33
News Extra Points: CUT-ting through the NFL (Sep '13) Sep '13 viking nation 2
News 10 Early Winners and Losers of Minnesota Viking... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Bleeds Purple 1
News Minnesota Vikings need Xavier Rhodes to turn th... (Jun '13) Jun '13 viking nation 1
News Vikings have a slot for Robinson (May '13) May '13 viking nation 1
News Five areas of correction for the Vikings (May '13) May '13 Harry 3
News Could Vikings' Jared Allen bolt after this season? (May '13) May '13 bill 1
More from around the web