Minnesota Vikings' Antoine Winfield e...

Minnesota Vikings' Antoine Winfield expects to play, but . . .

There are 18 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 11, 2009, titled Minnesota Vikings' Antoine Winfield expects to play, but . . .. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Minnesota Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield said he believes he will play Sunday against Cincinnati.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Joe

International Falls, MN

#1 Dec 11, 2009
Its about time this guy is about ready to play, otherwise put him on the IR and get somebody else ready for the playoffs. He has had more set backs than any one player on the Vikes and his inability to get ready is getting old. He had either a misdiagnosis of his injury or he can't play with some pain. If its serious and career threatening then sit him down for the season and get some help instead of it being a game time no-show every week with this guy.
Joe Merlot

Cottage Grove, MN

#2 Dec 11, 2009
Joe wrote:
Its about time this guy is about ready to play, otherwise put him on the IR and get somebody else ready for the playoffs. He has had more set backs than any one player on the Vikes and his inability to get ready is getting old. He had either a misdiagnosis of his injury or he can't play with some pain. If its serious and career threatening then sit him down for the season and get some help instead of it being a game time no-show every week with this guy.
Right on Joe. I almost wonder if they haven't been playing the "is he/isn't he" card every weak in a stupid ploy to keep people guessing. It's a fractured foot and he's a corner, who the hell do they think they are kidding. A fractured foot doesn't heal in 2 weeks.

Although Antowain is great tackler, he's not an elite coverage guy in that he doesn't play tight coverage and plays conservatively to avoid giving up the big play because he doesn't have the speed to run with elite receivers or the size to fight them for the ball in coverage. This is, what? The 2nd or 3rd season in a row that he's missed extensive time with a nagging injury that he couldn't recover from to get back on the field. He's getting old.

The Vikes next biggest needs are safties and corner succession. Madeau is medicore and Tyrel is just plain bad. The sad thing is that unless the NFL reaches a new labor agreement that brings back revenue sharing, we're going to see the Vikes head the direction of the Twins (small market revenue leading to paying big for a few core players and surrounding them with 2nd rate talent).

This is probably the last year that the Vikes have a chance at a championship before the team either declines due to a lack of revenue or outright leaves Minnesota for the same reason. And to be clear, it's only a chance this year. With their secondary and our brain challenged coaching staff, it will be a near miracle if they can withstand some of the more elite teams in the playoffs. Arizona sure didn't give me any warm fuzzy's and is probably a preview of what we might see in the playoffs against the likes of New Orleans and Arizona or even worse in the SB against Indianapolis (actually New Orleans and Arizona scare me more than Indianapolis).

It was great to watch them destroy lesser teams like Chicago and Detroit (and to a lesser extent GB), but it was disheartening to see how easily the AZ staff out prepared our staff for the Sunday Night matchup.
Vikings Fan

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Dec 11, 2009
Did you people not read this article? They said he was suppose to be back already but because he had a set back in practice, thats why he's not back yet. He's the most consistent player we've got on our defense so we definitely need him back, and back soon. But I think its not good to rush him back becuase THIS YEAR IS OUR CHANCE TO MAKE A SUPERBOWL RUN. Would you rather rush him back and risk re-injuring that foot and he's done for the season or would you bring him back when's he ready and have him for the playoffs? And the vikes have been winning MOST of their games without him, so maybe thats why they feel like they don't need to rush him back. I'm sure if the playoffs started today, he would play even if he's not 100 percent healthy. Just be patient people and stop hating on Winfield, he's the best we've got in the secondary and probably the entire defense.
Jayme

Alma Center, WI

#4 Dec 11, 2009
winfield is one of the best cover CB's in the NFL, before you tear our best tackler and cover CB do some research, he has been thrown at 78 times and there have been only 10 completions,he is the best tackler in the NFC North and this guy is the best, bunch of haters wow
ilk

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Dec 11, 2009
Joe Merlot wrote:
<quoted text>
Right on Joe. I almost wonder if they haven't been playing the "is he/isn't he" card every weak in a stupid ploy to keep people guessing. It's a fractured foot and he's a corner, who the hell do they think they are kidding. A fractured foot doesn't heal in 2 weeks.
Although Antowain is great tackler, he's not an elite coverage guy in that he doesn't play tight coverage and plays conservatively to avoid giving up the big play because he doesn't have the speed to run with elite receivers or the size to fight them for the ball in coverage. This is, what? The 2nd or 3rd season in a row that he's missed extensive time with a nagging injury that he couldn't recover from to get back on the field. He's getting old.
The Vikes next biggest needs are safties and corner succession. Madeau is medicore and Tyrel is just plain bad. The sad thing is that unless the NFL reaches a new labor agreement that brings back revenue sharing, we're going to see the Vikes head the direction of the Twins (small market revenue leading to paying big for a few core players and surrounding them with 2nd rate talent).
This is probably the last year that the Vikes have a chance at a championship before the team either declines due to a lack of revenue or outright leaves Minnesota for the same reason. And to be clear, it's only a chance this year. With their secondary and our brain challenged coaching staff, it will be a near miracle if they can withstand some of the more elite teams in the playoffs. Arizona sure didn't give me any warm fuzzy's and is probably a preview of what we might see in the playoffs against the likes of New Orleans and Arizona or even worse in the SB against Indianapolis (actually New Orleans and Arizona scare me more than Indianapolis).
It was great to watch them destroy lesser teams like Chicago and Detroit (and to a lesser extent GB), but it was disheartening to see how easily the AZ staff out prepared our staff for the Sunday Night matchup.
Well stated. I wouldn't be too concerned about a revenue sharing bust...the fantasy industry($$$- more 'players') alone dictates a more level playing field. Ain't gonna happen.
You're right about winny, slow(ish) and undersized but he's got 'stick' cred and is the only d-back the vikes have that creates second thoughts in opposing receivers. Racino will save the Vikes for the future...I'm just wondering what are we gonna do about Q-back next year?

The only team that scares me right now is the Colts - not great match-ups for us but if the D-line was sufficiently embarrassed last Sunday night, all is well.
ilk

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Dec 11, 2009
Vikings Fan wrote:
Did you people not read this article? They said he was suppose to be back already but because he had a set back in practice, thats why he's not back yet. He's the most consistent player we've got on our defense so we definitely need him back, and back soon. But I think its not good to rush him back becuase THIS YEAR IS OUR CHANCE TO MAKE A SUPERBOWL RUN. Would you rather rush him back and risk re-injuring that foot and he's done for the season or would you bring him back when's he ready and have him for the playoffs? And the vikes have been winning MOST of their games without him, so maybe thats why they feel like they don't need to rush him back. I'm sure if the playoffs started today, he would play even if he's not 100 percent healthy. Just be patient people and stop hating on Winfield, he's the best we've got in the secondary and probably the entire defense.
Info you're referencing on winny is for our ears only - the truth is somewhere else.
ilk

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Dec 11, 2009
Jayme wrote:
winfield is one of the best cover CB's in the NFL, before you tear our best tackler and cover CB do some research, he has been thrown at 78 times and there have been only 10 completions,he is the best tackler in the NFC North and this guy is the best, bunch of haters wow
He can and will be burned...BUT it will only happen once a game if at all...and woe be the receiver that torched him!
oh man

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Dec 11, 2009
geez louis what a bunch of illiterate posters. Are all of you from Iowa or someplace worse??

“We've been Norv'ed”

Since: Nov 09

Erie

#9 Dec 11, 2009
ilk wrote:
<quoted text>Well stated. I wouldn't be too concerned about a revenue sharing bust...the fantasy industry($$$- more 'players') alone dictates a more level playing field. Ain't gonna happen.
You're right about winny, slow(ish) and undersized but he's got 'stick' cred and is the only d-back the vikes have that creates second thoughts in opposing receivers. Racino will save the Vikes for the future...I'm just wondering what are we gonna do about Q-back next year?
The only team that scares me right now is the Colts - not great match-ups for us but if the D-line was sufficiently embarrassed last Sunday night, all is well.
If BF doesn't play(I personally think he will come back 1 more year) there are 5 legit QB's coming out of the draft next year. I would like to see us move up in the draft and grab Bradford as his stock will probably fall considerably due to his season ending injury this year, we might get a chance to steal him in the late first round. The kids from Central Michigan and Western Michigan are big strong and athletic as well, plus Tebow and Mccoy. I believe I am right regarding this scenario, if I am wrong please forgive me.

“We've been Norv'ed”

Since: Nov 09

Erie

#10 Dec 11, 2009
Actually I take that back Bradford won't last that long but he will fall out of the top 10 maybe.
Yikes Vikes

Virginia Beach, VA

#12 Dec 12, 2009
It's scary how banged up this team got from one game. All those players on the injury report (with the exception of Winfield) were all healthy before the Cards game. Let's hope we get through this!
muskratbob

Beckley, WV

#14 Dec 12, 2009
Only the player knows how he feels , if possible we got to play for we don't want to keep watching other teams in playoff's. NO ONE GOIG TO GIVE IT TO US WE GOT TO TAKE IT GO VIKINGS.

“sorry we're out of cheese”

Since: Feb 07

jacksonville beach, FL

#15 Dec 12, 2009
lets hope hes not too rusty out there - he hasnt been in for a minute now
Mad Dog Gus

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Dec 12, 2009
Yikes Vikes wrote:
It's scary how banged up this team got from one game. All those players on the injury report (with the exception of Winfield) were all healthy before the Cards game. Let's hope we get through this!
I agree...the Cardinals physically punished the Vikings...the score was closer than the game. There wasn't one Viking that played a good game...it was ugly!

“sorry we're out of cheese”

Since: Feb 07

jacksonville beach, FL

#17 Dec 12, 2009
Mad Dog Gus wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree...the Cardinals physically punished the Vikings...the score was closer than the game. There wasn't one Viking that played a good game...it was ugly!
hey cmon harvin played a great game - ouch, i cant think of anyone else lol
eddie

Paris, France

#18 Dec 12, 2009
I think they'll probably beat the Bengals. They may even win out. But I worry about the injuries. If you go into the playoffs beat up and with a lot of rookies and second stringers playing significant positions in your scheme, that's a problem. A big one. Childress needs to decide now when to rest the guys who are hurting. The playoffs are that close.
Eric

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Dec 12, 2009
The Vikings more than likely only need 2 more wins to get the bye because the other contenders are at least 2 games back and probably won't win out. No bye and bye-bye SB.
muskratbob

Atlanta, GA

#20 Dec 12, 2009
eddie wrote:
I think they'll probably beat the Bengals.
Get a clue. Even the lowly Raiders beat the Bengals. This team is not that good. But some of you retards will say they are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antoine Winfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is it Tarvaris Time in Minnesota? (Dec '06) Apr '14 Magnum Man II 33
News Extra Points: CUT-ting through the NFL (Sep '13) Sep '13 viking nation 2
News 10 Early Winners and Losers of Minnesota Viking... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Bleeds Purple 1
News Minnesota Vikings need Xavier Rhodes to turn th... (Jun '13) Jun '13 viking nation 1
News Vikings have a slot for Robinson (May '13) May '13 viking nation 1
News Five areas of correction for the Vikings (May '13) May '13 Harry 3
News Could Vikings' Jared Allen bolt after this season? (May '13) May '13 bill 1
More from around the web