Wilfs blast Metrodome lease proposal

Wilfs blast Metrodome lease proposal

There are 38 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 18, 2009, titled Wilfs blast Metrodome lease proposal. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

MSFC Thatcher Letter 11-18-09 - Vikings owners Zygi Wilf and Mark Wilf sent a scathing letter Wednesday to Paul Thatcher, chairman of the finance committee of the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, a day after Thatcher's committee approved a resolution threatening to penalize the team if it doesn't agree to extend its lease at the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rumblebee

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Nov 18, 2009
I find it hilarious that a team that has implied they are leaving the state (how many times have they stated they will not renew the Metrodome lease) gets so offended when the landlord takes back a concession that was done as a sign of good faith and to help the tenant. The fact is, w/o giving the concession the last 7 years, the commission would have $28 million to put toward a new stadium, instead the Vikings have received that money. Why should the Vikings continue to get this concession when they are threatening to leave. The commission will need the extra $8 million to implode the Dome should the Vikings leave, who can blame the MSFC.
Also, the MSFC has offered several scenarios to keep the Vikings here with a new, long term lease. The Vikings refuse to do anything that doesn't give them hundreds of millions of dollars in public money. This offer changes none of that fact. If the Vikings were truly negotiating in good faith with an objective to remain here, they would consider the Metrodome renovation costing $300 million, or at least come in with a realistic stadium cost. Come on boys, the beautiful Gopher stadium only cost $288 million. I know more seats and amenities are necessary for the NFL, but the starting point for cost should be closer to $400 million without a roof, with the Vikings, NFL, and MN equally splitting the cost. In good faith, any amenities above that cost should be solely the burden of the Vikings.
On the other side, who are the idiots at the MSFC who gave these concessions without getting something in return. They gave $40 million in concessions in 2002 and did not even get a lease extension of a few years? Very poor decision to give this away and get little or nothing in return.
Peter

Kelseyville, CA

#2 Nov 18, 2009
Here is a breakdown of tax revenue to the state generated by the Vikings in 2008 Direct Fiscal Impact To Minnesota (2008) Taxes * Property Tax - $240,000 * State Tax Withholding on Players and Staff - $10,857,000 * Sales Tax on Tickets and Merchandise - $2,755,000 * Admission Tax MSFC - $4,305,000 SubTotal -- $18,157,000 ^ ^ this total does not include income tax collected from visiting players and teams Going on the 2008 tax numbers if we assume to bring in the same amount in taxes over the next 30 years the Vikings will generate $544,710,000. So I think the state should help the Vikings with $544,710,000 under the condition that the team signs an Iron Clad 35 year lease. There should also a provision that if the team is sold in the first 15 years of the lease that the sale will be subject to a 45% capital gains tax. The state should also retain naming rights in any stadium deal.
MN Observer

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Nov 18, 2009
I think the Wilf's reaction is a set up so they can leave Minnesota. They're using the line "we acted in good faith, the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission pushed us away and treated us like dirt". The dome was built for the Vikings. I understand that if Minnesota wishes to have an NFL team, a new, publicly-funded stadium must be built. We're in the deepest recession in over 65 years. There's no money for a stadium right now, nor in the forseeable future.
skyblue waters

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Nov 18, 2009
Screw the blackmailing Wilf's, somewhere there has to finally be a stand against these ridiculous pro sports stadiums. Our country is bankrupt, we have 10% unemployment, and these hucksters want to build a billion dollar stadium for all the middle aged, face painting, bead wearing drunks?
speedy

United States

#5 Nov 18, 2009
skyblue waters wrote:
Screw the blackmailing Wilf's, somewhere there has to finally be a stand against these ridiculous pro sports stadiums. Our country is bankrupt, we have 10% unemployment, and these hucksters want to build a billion dollar stadium for all the middle aged, face painting, bead wearing drunks?
Yes it would appear so. I love seeing the wealthy collect thier welfare checks. I would rather see our dieing state build a track to attract NASCAR. This is a racing state. look at Elko, Raceway Park, Arlington speedway, Brainerd, and dozens of others.
Lets not allow MN car culture to die while fat old jock wanna be's push for welfare funded stadiums while the recipients laugh at how stupid we are.
Chris

Virginia Beach, VA

#6 Nov 18, 2009
Are you people crazy? Are we not seeing the bigger picture here? This is truely about keeping OUR Vikings where they belong, in Minnesota. Yes there are a lot of politics involved in this but we have to see through all the smoke and mirrors. If we don't get a new stadium built the Vikings WILL leave to L.A. and we will lose another great MINNESOTA franchise to California. I don't know about you but, I want to take my children to a Vikings game some day. I want them to enjoy football on Sundays like I always have my whole life. I want to see OUR Vikings finally win a Super Bowl. Why is everyone crying about a small state wide tax if so be it? Yes the rich owners are sucking money out of the public but that's America people. Let's stop complaining and do what's obvious which is building a current, competitive stadium that will bring millions and millions of dollars to our state for years to come.
Daily Grind

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Nov 18, 2009
I just can't believe that an architect can't come up with a plan to remodel the dome for under $500 million.

something is wrong !
kelly

Gulfport, MS

#8 Nov 18, 2009
What a croc! If I were the Wilf's I would be upset too! What a group of fools! Maybe it's time to replace the board members. It's time to get the Vikes a new stadium. Quit dragging your feet. We don't want to lose our franchise.
BigSky Viking

United States

#9 Nov 19, 2009
There you have the address Minnesota. They built that dump for 88 million and now you know who has been making tons of dough for the last 30 years. Sure they don't charge rent, but what about concessions and taxes and other events? The sports Commission has been raking it in for a long time and should help in a major way to solve the problem.

Since: Dec 06

Brandon, FL

#10 Nov 19, 2009
Rumblebee wrote:
I find it hilarious that a team that has implied they are leaving the state (how many times have they stated they will not renew the Metrodome lease) gets so offended when the landlord takes back a concession that was done as a sign of good faith and to help the tenant. The fact is, w/o giving the concession the last 7 years, the commission would have $28 million to put toward a new stadium, instead the Vikings have received that money. Why should the Vikings continue to get this concession when they are threatening to leave. The commission will need the extra $8 million to implode the Dome should the Vikings leave, who can blame the MSFC.
Also, the MSFC has offered several scenarios to keep the Vikings here with a new, long term lease. The Vikings refuse to do anything that doesn't give them hundreds of millions of dollars in public money. This offer changes none of that fact. If the Vikings were truly negotiating in good faith with an objective to remain here, they would consider the Metrodome renovation costing $300 million, or at least come in with a realistic stadium cost. Come on boys, the beautiful Gopher stadium only cost $288 million. I know more seats and amenities are necessary for the NFL, but the starting point for cost should be closer to $400 million without a roof, with the Vikings, NFL, and MN equally splitting the cost. In good faith, any amenities above that cost should be solely the burden of the Vikings.
On the other side, who are the idiots at the MSFC who gave these concessions without getting something in return. They gave $40 million in concessions in 2002 and did not even get a lease extension of a few years? Very poor decision to give this away and get little or nothing in return.
Now tell me about the other 31 teams.I'll save you the time.They deserve a new stadium.The one they proposed in Blaine a few years back would have brought jobs.Hello,jobs.What is the unemployment rate?Plus it would have dumped millions into the state treasury.
Again the Vikings need a new stadium and Wilf is ready to use his money,the State needs to help.It helps them in the long run.
Bighearted

Bismarck, ND

#11 Nov 19, 2009
I do understand that we are in a recession. and I understand that we do not have a billion in the "coffers", but I think if we can get a stadium built for the Twins and Gophers we should be able to get one built for the best team in Minnesota. I think it is obvious to everyone that the Dome is not what the Vikings need to make the team competitive. The Vikings with Wilf have done everything they can do to bring in talent and make the Vikings winners. Without a new stadium they will move, and we will no doubt regret our lack of action. Does anyone remember when the North Stars left to Dallas, shortly after they won a Stanley Cup as the Dallas Stars. Does anyone want the Vikings to leave, and become the second Minnesota team to win a championship outside Minnesota. Football is now the new "America's Past Time", it generates big money for the economy. I believe that if we get a deal done for the good of Minnesota we would not be disappointed. I can not imagine what Minnesota would be like without our beloved Vikings.
One Answer

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Nov 19, 2009
Professional Sports FEE. (No Tax Write Off)
Chris

Virginia Beach, VA

#13 Nov 19, 2009
I do understand that we are in a recession. and I understand that we do not have a billion in the "coffers", but I think if we can get a stadium built for the Twins and Gophers we should be able to get one built for the best team in Minnesota. I think it is obvious to everyone that the Dome is not what the Vikings need to make the team competitive. The Vikings with Wilf have done everything they can do to bring in talent and make the Vikings winners. Without a new stadium they will move, and we will no doubt regret our lack of action. Does anyone remember when the North Stars left to Dallas, shortly after they won a Stanley Cup as the Dallas Stars. Does anyone want the Vikings to leave, and become the second Minnesota team to win a championship outside Minnesota. Football is now the new "America's Past Time", it generates big money for the economy. I believe that if we get a deal done for the good of Minnesota we would not be disappointed. I can not imagine what Minnesota would be like without our beloved Vikings.
----------

Even better... How many Championships have the Lakers won since leaving Minnesota.
steve tellers

United States

#14 Nov 19, 2009
Goodbye, greedy jews, and take your team with you. i would miss the Vikings, but not enough that i would kiss your ass and shell out all kinds of taxes for them.
Smartone

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Nov 19, 2009
There is a long list of companies that were here in Minnesota then left that nothing to do with taxes or unions or weather. Just a few listed here.
Minnesota North Stars, now Dallas Stars
Minneapolis Lakers now Los Angles Lakers
Northwest Airlines now part of Delta
Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing ( 3M ) huge depts that left to go all over the world
American Hoist now in North Carolina
ALL of these companies really paid less in taxes than what the tax payers gave them in breaks and just plain bail outs.
Ever hear of Pan Auto ? or Lu Vern Fire trucks ? or Duluth Eskimoes ? list goes on and on and soon will be adding Minnesota Vikings when they move to LA. Yes, we have become North Omaha.
Farmboy

Litchfield, MN

#16 Nov 19, 2009
How many teams have built their own stadiums (Dallas Cowboys, NE Patriots, etc...)? This increases the value of the team having a new stadium. Why do we taxpayers always get stuck with the bill for a bunch of rich millionaires? Hell, the bastards don't pay that much in taxes now with the rates slashed under the rethuglicans (remember trickle down economics, did you get your trickle down?) and they kept all their write offs so they pay basically no taxes. Tell the Wilfs to go to hell and quit blackmailing the state. Go to hell or LA (same thing), who cares. You haven't won anything here anyway.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Since: Feb 08

Craigville

#17 Nov 19, 2009
Daily Grind wrote:
I just can't believe that an architect can't come up with a plan to remodel the dome for under $500 million.
something is wrong !
Go buy a pup tent and see how easy it is to transform it into something meaningful.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

#18 Nov 19, 2009
BigSky Viking wrote:
There you have the address Minnesota. They built that dump for 88 million and now you know who has been making tons of dough for the last 30 years. Sure they don't charge rent, but what about concessions and taxes and other events? The sports Commission has been raking it in for a long time and should help in a major way to solve the problem.
Closer to 65 million when other stadiums in that era were more than double that amount.
A tent with a sound system.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

#19 Nov 19, 2009
If you sit in Ziggy's shoes, which many wish they were, wouldn't you ask for public financing as well?
If some other community is willing to help in this cause, why would any owner feel tied down to any town that is unwilling to do what some other community will?
Why do you think big business is leaving Minnesota?
Some other city/state is offering something more.
When it comes to business, the bottom line is what really matters, why would the business of the NFL operate any differently?
Ziggy didn't get rich by making bad business decisions, does anyone really think that he should start now just to keep the Vikings here for our enjoyment?
The writing was small on the wall, but now you can see it from California.
Stephen Canavan

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Nov 19, 2009
Chris wrote:
Are you people crazy? Are we not seeing the bigger picture here? This is truely about keeping OUR Vikings where they belong, in Minnesota. Yes there are a lot of politics involved in this but we have to see through all the smoke and mirrors. If we don't get a new stadium built the Vikings WILL leave to L.A. and we will lose another great MINNESOTA franchise to California. I don't know about you but, I want to take my children to a Vikings game some day. I want them to enjoy football on Sundays like I always have my whole life. I want to see OUR Vikings finally win a Super Bowl. Why is everyone crying about a small state wide tax if so be it? Yes the rich owners are sucking money out of the public but that's America people. Let's stop complaining and do what's obvious which is building a current, competitive stadium that will bring millions and millions of dollars to our state for years to come.
So your definition of a competitive stadium must be one that sucks money from the taxpayer.Let them go to LA. You and your kids can watch them on TV.The economic condition of the state has no room to finance any venue like this. How much are you willing to donate from your checkbook for a stadium whose owners have more money than the state treasury.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antoine Winfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is it Tarvaris Time in Minnesota? (Dec '06) Apr '14 Magnum Man II 33
News Extra Points: CUT-ting through the NFL (Sep '13) Sep '13 viking nation 2
News 10 Early Winners and Losers of Minnesota Viking... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Bleeds Purple 1
News Minnesota Vikings need Xavier Rhodes to turn th... (Jun '13) Jun '13 viking nation 1
News Vikings have a slot for Robinson (May '13) May '13 viking nation 1
News Five areas of correction for the Vikings (May '13) May '13 Harry 3
News Could Vikings' Jared Allen bolt after this season? (May '13) May '13 bill 1
More from around the web