Shooter Now: Vikings should be one loss to the Patriots from benching Favre, rebuilding

Full story: TwinCities.com

Minnesota Vikings' Brett Favre sits on the bench after a second half interception against the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field Sunday October 24, 2010.
Comments
1 - 20 of 126 Comments Last updated Oct 27, 2010
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Zino

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

Cracked.
"hand the quarterback job to Tarvaris Jackson and give him a final audition"
These overreactions are just crazy. Yes, the pick-6 was bad, but we knew that is what we were getting with Brett. What about the Shiancoe TD that was incorrectly overruled or the lack of airing it out to the best "go-long" man in the game? There are other things happening and not happening on the field besides what #4 does - even if the media can't get creative enough to delve into it. Favre has not been his best, but there is plenty of blame to go around and suggesting that Tarvaris is the solution to what ails this team is ridiculous.
kabob

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

The only question remaining is, "When will 'Pants On the Ground' see the writing on the wall?"
Lukester454

Green Bay, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

As a Packer fan, I can only hope that the Vikes would keep Moss and trade away Rice for their rebuilding next year. Because if there is one thing Randy Moss does well, its play for a struggling rebuilding team.

Worst opinion ever written in a newspaper. Even Childress isn't that dumb, Charley. Lay off the scotch, bro.
Elvis

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

The pioneer press is 10,000 to 20,000 columns past due from firing charlie walters and rebuilding with someone who does not throw things up against the wall and hope they stick.
Maroon and Gold in Wisc

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

That would give Favre one more NFL record to go along with; most TD's, most Yards, most completions, most passes, most consective games, most fumbles, most interceptions, etc...

His new record would be; Most Costly Benchwarmer in the history of the NFL.

Since: Jul 08

St. Paul

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

Benching Brett now will make no difference for next season. Even if the Vikings (by some miracle) win out, this team will be in rebuilding mode. Favre is done regardless. And even if they don't want to go, Ray Edwards, Pat Williams, Jimmy Kennedy, Ben Leber, Antoine Winfield, Madieu Willimas, Jim Kleinsasser, Bernard Berrian, Randy Moss, maybe McKinnie and Hutchinson, possibly even Longwell will be done too. So unless you plan on replacing the vets across the board and Start playing backups to "audition" for next year starting now, you may as well keep these guys going. One can only hope that the head coach is on that list also...
Fran the Man

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

Right on Charlie. It's time to put the 'Ol Gunslinger out to pasture.
We have precious little time now to see if Jackson can become an NFL QB.
And if the answer is no, we MUST start making plans for the QB position now.

It's about two years past time to give Childress his walking papers.
I've said it since he got here; We win games in spite of him.
He will go down as one of the worst coaches of all time in the NFL.
J_Reppin

Montpelier, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

This could be one of the worst articles I have ever read. This article is almost as bad as the officiating and coaching in last night's loss to the packers.
#1) The Vikings are 2 games out of 1st place in the NFC North.
#2) Does anyone really think the bears and/or packers can run away with the division -- exactly, not a chance.
#3) Keep Moss and trade Sid Rice for a draft pick?! You have got to be kidding me. Im not sure if you watched Rice play last year but ummm.. he's pretty decent.. He also isnt past his prime like Moss is.
#4) Tavaris Jackson is not the answer. Anyone who has watched the vikings can realize that he cant get it done. I understand that Favre throwing 10 picks a game isnt going to do the job either, but Tavaris is simply not good.
Gen Burkhalter

Malibu, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

Any thought of rebuilding with Klink remaining as coach is just plain insane.
Frustrated Minnesota fan

South Haven, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

Childress needs to go, but the Vikings and the Wilf's already have a replacement on staff. Leslie Frazier is the man who should be running this team! I think a large portion of Minnesota's offensive problems come from Brad Childress calling the plays. Childress was a terrible offensive coordinator when he was in Philly...Now he has succeeded in doing less with more in Minnesota. I agree that the team will look different next year, but sitting a 12 Million dollar QB unless he's hurt is just crazy. I also don't agree with letting Rice go unless you're going to replace him with proven tallent. It is highly unlikely the Vikings will make the playoffs this year, but I honestly don't believe that Farve is the problem...I believe the real problem is wearing the headset and calling those often all too predictable plays.
Frustrated Minnesota fan

South Haven, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

Fran the Man wrote:
Right on Charlie. It's time to put the 'Ol Gunslinger out to pasture.
We have precious little time now to see if Jackson can become an NFL QB.
And if the answer is no, we MUST start making plans for the QB position now.
It's about two years past time to give Childress his walking papers.
I've said it since he got here; We win games in spite of him.
He will go down as one of the worst coaches of all time in the NFL.
As much as I dislike Childress, I'd have to put him second to Les Steckle.
boo

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

Childress should not complain about Favre's performance in Sunday night's game. Childress didn't challenge the play where the Packers allegedly scored a TD. He's incompetent, in my view. As far as Brett, I'm a fan but I think he should have stayed home in Mississippi this year. Lightening very rarely strikes twice in the same place. And to all of the Vikings players and fans, I say, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
Maroon and Gold in Wisc

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

Frustrated Minnesota fan wrote:
Childress needs to go, but the Vikings and the Wilf's already have a replacement on staff. Leslie Frazier is the man who should be running this team! I think a large portion of Minnesota's offensive problems come from Brad Childress calling the plays. Childress was a terrible offensive coordinator when he was in Philly...Now he has succeeded in doing less with more in Minnesota. I agree that the team will look different next year, but sitting a 12 Million dollar QB unless he's hurt is just crazy. I also don't agree with letting Rice go unless you're going to replace him with proven tallent. It is highly unlikely the Vikings will make the playoffs this year, but I honestly don't believe that Farve is the problem...I believe the real problem is wearing the headset and calling those often all too predictable plays.
Leslie Frazier's defense isn't exactly lighting the world on fire this year either.
Frustrated Minnesota fan

South Haven, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

Gen Burkhalter wrote:
Any thought of rebuilding with Klink remaining as coach is just plain insane.
That's awesome...Klink...too funny!!!
Sid H

Pleasant Prairie, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

Typical Charlie Walters, knee-jerk, horrible GM reaction to ONE game. Let's give up now, and while we're at it, let's not even play the rest of the games this year. There is no way we can win. Great strategy Chaz. Time to find the bar stool again. Between you and Klink, I'm not sure who is the bigger idiot!
sspandle

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

How about getting some decent offensive linemen that can pass block??? Don't care who's QB'ing they don't stand a chance, good at run blcoking tho.

And do we have any CB's that can cover? Other teams do, I watch games every weekend and those CB's are on the WR's like flypaper. Do our defensive schemes or presonnel suck that bad?
nfltopdogg

De Pere, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

just like everyone thought the vikes will fade away ..ur favre remedy didnt work and its time to rebuild ...you passed on some qbs that were out there mcnabb vick just to name a couple ....it will be interesting as the lions will be the upper comers to challenge the pack with the bears hanging around 3rd best team in the division in the next few years ....by the time the vikes challenge again for the division they will have moved out of minnesota and be playing in another state ...dont worry you wont have to worry about leaving ur superbowl rings behind ..oh prediction patriot 34 vikes 3 ...............
George Blanda

Hastings, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

Brett is too old. He is more worried about getting hit than he is of making a play. The slightest pressure makes him wilt. Time to put him out to pasture. Too bad Chilly isn't strong enough to do it.
jeb

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

this article is generally terrible but keeping moss over sid might be the dumbest suggestion you have had, charley, and that is really saying something. i LOVE moss...one of my favorite players of all time, but he will be of little use to us next year. sid is a MONSTER. he is young, physical and plays hard. he will be a very good receiver for years. i would love to keep both he and moss and find it possible. i can see moss wanting to end his career in MN and doing for sid and percy what CC did for him.
i also disagree with a lot of people on Tavi. lets face it, favre is hurting, and as much as he wants to win and still has a great arm, the hits are making him skittish and he is making bad decisions. 14 turnovers in 6 games for the silver fox is remarkable...cut that number even in half and i believe we are 4-2 easy without any other changes. my point is, we are a very good team...as good as the jets, in my opinion, and i will NEVER believe that sanchez is a good QB (ie better then Tavi). favre is not breaking even with us, he is HURTING us...badly. our defense is stout, giving us chances to win every game, but without the 14 turnovers they would not have needed to bail us out so many times. i would love to see that dynamic offense we saw last year, and i would love to see the favre of last year, but that is just not appearing to be the case. either he needs to recognize that he should be managing games or it is Tavi time. i believe a confident Tavi can win us games if he (and the terrible coaching staff) use his abilities properly and he stays loose.
ps...is it finally time to fire klink? please, please, please say yes before we lose another great coach (frazier) next year.
chillyforprez

Marshfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2010

Judged:

Zino wrote:
Cracked.
"hand the quarterback job to Tarvaris Jackson and give him a final audition"
These overreactions are just crazy. Yes, the pick-6 was bad, but we knew that is what we were getting with Brett. What about the Shiancoe TD that was incorrectly overruled or the lack of airing it out to the best "go-long" man in the game? There are other things happening and not happening on the field besides what #4 does - even if the media can't get creative enough to delve into it. Favre has not been his best, but there is plenty of blame to go around and suggesting that Tarvaris is the solution to what ails this team is ridiculous.
I agree that benching Favre to give T-Jack some playing time is ridiculous, but please, please give the "we wuz robbed" song a rest. It makes it seem like you're either a sore loser or are too stupid to understand the rules of the game you claim to love. People like you give real Viking fans a bad name.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Antoine Winfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is it Tarvaris Time in Minnesota? (Dec '06) Apr '14 Magnum Man II 33
Extra Points: CUT-ting through the NFL (Sep '13) Sep '13 viking nation 2
10 Early Winners and Losers of Minnesota Viking... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Bleeds Purple 1
Minnesota Vikings need Xavier Rhodes to turn th... (Jun '13) Jun '13 viking nation 1
Vikings have a slot for Robinson (May '13) May '13 viking nation 1
Five areas of correction for the Vikings (May '13) May '13 Harry 3
Could Vikings' Jared Allen bolt after this season? (May '13) May '13 bill 1

Search the Antoine Winfield Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••