Vikings owner Zygi Wilf votes no on approved OT rule change; se...

Full story: TwinCities.com

ORLANDO, Fla. - Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield summed up the NFL's new overtime rule with these words: "Too little, too late!!!" Winfield said in text messages that he "absolutely" wishes the rule had been in place last season because the Vikings might have benefited in the NFC championship game they lost to New Orleans.
Comments
1 - 20 of 30 Comments Last updated Mar 26, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Freak

Arlington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2010

Rule seems dumb.

They should have just moved the kick off back up to the 35 for overtime games.
DD Austin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2010

New rule is a good one. Too bad it has come too late for the Vikings. They were by far and away the best team on the field, and should have won that game. Can't change the outcome, but all the Aints know they dodged a major bullet and should have watched the Vikings be Super Bowl champions.
don

Rapid City, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2010

Leave the sudden death part, get rid of the coin flip. Start the overtime where the 4th quarter ended just like the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters. No more taking a knee on your own 15 yard line with 1st down and 38 seconds to go. If you score to tie the game on the last play of the 4th quarter, you kickoff to start the overtime. If you advance the football to the 30 yard line as time runs out in a tie game, you start OT with the ball on the 30.

“We've been Norv'ed”

Since: Nov 09

Erie

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2010

DD Austin wrote:
New rule is a good one. Too bad it has come too late for the Vikings. They were by far and away the best team on the field, and should have won that game. Can't change the outcome, but all the Aints know they dodged a major bullet and should have watched the Vikings be Super Bowl champions.
It is what it is, I don't think you can point to a specific call or play and say this is what decided the game, there are a lot of factors that decide games but I am surprised this was such an overwhelming vote in favor of the change, to me it seems they are introducing too much strategy in an OT session. Why not keep it simple and put 10 minutes up there and just play football.
Delta Doug

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

DD Austin and many others are idiots and know nothing about football. Thank Farve for losing the game in regulation and quit whining about overtime. Offensive yard stats are for losers like the vikings and many of their fans, i'll take winning the turnover stat any time ... just ask the vikings and colts.
A New Day

Racine, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

erie-vike fan wrote:
<quoted text>It is what it is, I don't think you can point to a specific call or play and say this is what decided the game, there are a lot of factors that decide games but I am surprised this was such an overwhelming vote in favor of the change, to me it seems they are introducing too much strategy in an OT session. Why not keep it simple and put 10 minutes up there and just play football.
It won't help it will just extends a game that 1 hour takes 3 hours to play. Boring......
A New Day

Racine, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

DD Austin wrote:
If by far they were the better team then why didn't they win? The Colts were really the better team but the Saints came to play and play they did. That is how you win games not by adding extra minutes to MAYBE it will change. Please explain why you think the Vikings were far and away the best team? This should be interesting. Only a Viking fan can say that with a straight face.
RiceStreetRocker

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

The Refs would have still found a way to screw us. They would have just called holding calls on our line until we lost.
MIKE

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

What Izzie knows about football is laughable. Tradition-give me a break. Issue should have been addressed years`ago.
wildfan

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

the new rule it what it is, no big deal to me either way. for players and fans saying it came a year too late... how about not turning the ball over 6 times? or on the opening kick off in overtime, not letting the saints get to what the 45 yard line? love the vikes, beginning to like chilly, but can't say the vikes where the better team that day.(reason, see above about 6 turn overs, and kick off coverage)
TROJAN3Z3

Bristow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

Judged:

This is pure B.S., Instead of this stupid rule, the NFL should just come out and admit the Goodell instructed the officiating crew to make sure the Vikings didn't win the game. Anyone who watched the game saw that it was fixed. The NFL needs to admit that it is not a competitive football league, but an entertainment company such as WWE. I suppose this year, instead of the Katrina Sympathy Bowl, will get the Washington Snow Blizzard Bowl. The NFL is fixed, and everyone knows it now. This rule is a joke!!!!!
GermanAmerican

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

Judged:

If anyone doubts the NFL is fixed, just watch this youtube video. The sound is faint at first but gets much better. Unbelievable.

Yea its rare

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

But what about safeties?
Bullfarts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

"Too little, too late!!!" Winfield said in text messages that he "absolutely" wishes the rule had been in place last season because the Vikings might have benefited in the NFC championship game they lost to New Orleans.

Nice excuse to cover up Fumbles Peterson and INT Favre
reed

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

forever skol
Bullfarts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

Fumbles and INT's forever
Still a Vikes fan

Chandler, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

YEAH!!!!!!! Anything is better than the way it is.
Still a Vikes fan

Chandler, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

Bullfarts wrote:
"Too little, too late!!!" Winfield said in text messages that he "absolutely" wishes the rule had been in place last season because the Vikings might have benefited in the NFC championship game they lost to New Orleans.
Nice excuse to cover up Fumbles Peterson and INT Favre
Get over it man, the Vikes had every opportunity to win that game and they blew it at every turn. I bleed purple but I am also not so ignorant to think that if this if that happened scenarios. You watched the Viking fumble time and time again. they couldn't hang on to the ball. Of course I wanted them to win but the fact remains THEY BLEW IT! everyone from Childress (12 in the huddle and keeping AP on the field) to Hudson fumbling on the 5 to Favre not running and instead throwing a pick. They were just pathetic all around. Now, if you think last year was bad wait until we have to put up with TJ at the helm again.....
Bullfarts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

Favre will be back to lead all the Vikings fans to false hopes and dreams of Lombardi trophies again

TJoke will watch it all unfold from the sidelines
Mr Marcus

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

That's right, if this rule had been in place last year it would have changed the outcome of the game! Instead of the Vikings losing by 3 points, they would have lost by 6.

The Vikings have no one to blame for the loss except themselves. If they would have controlled the ball and not gotten the bonehead "12 men in the huddle" call, the end of their season may have been completely different.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Antoine Winfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is it Tarvaris Time in Minnesota? (Dec '06) Apr '14 Magnum Man II 33
Extra Points: CUT-ting through the NFL (Sep '13) Sep '13 viking nation 2
10 Early Winners and Losers of Minnesota Viking... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Bleeds Purple 1
Minnesota Vikings need Xavier Rhodes to turn th... (Jun '13) Jun '13 viking nation 1
Vikings have a slot for Robinson (May '13) May '13 viking nation 1
Five areas of correction for the Vikings (May '13) May '13 Harry 3
Could Vikings' Jared Allen bolt after this season? (May '13) May '13 bill 1

Search the Antoine Winfield Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••