Deep draft bodes well for Vikings, wh...

Deep draft bodes well for Vikings, who won't participate heavil...

There are 58 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 24, 2010, titled Deep draft bodes well for Vikings, who won't participate heavil.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

This spring's NFL draft is the deepest Rick Spielman has seen in years. That's a good thing for the Vikings, because the draft carries added weight for them this season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
twell

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Feb 24, 2010
Without the possibility of participating in free agency...the Vikes will NOT be able to add the players necessary to get over the hump next year. They are seriously in need of at least one starting safety, one or possibly 2 starting corners if Winfield doesn't regain form, and they definitely need a middle linebacker, a big playmaker. On offense they are desperately in need of either a starting center or starting right tackle and they need more O line depth. They cannot get all of this through the draft, they need F.A. but are restricted in what they can do there because of the stupid no cap year rules!

“We've been Norv'ed”

Since: Nov 09

Erie

#2 Feb 24, 2010
If a team does it's homework it should land-if it has picks in all the top three rounds-at least 3 quality players and two immediate impact players if not all three. With the draft being deep, especially in the secondary area, the Vikes should do well. We should be fine Twell, agree with your assessment in regards to position needs but our surrounding cast, minus the QB is poised to make another run, if BF comes back or Mcnabb gets aboard all the better. Vikes should address secondary needs in this draft.
CT Viking Fan

United States

#3 Feb 24, 2010
Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State could contributed immediately. He is a tight cover corner that would remind you a little of Winfield in his prime. The big question is if he can learn Cover - 2 quickly. He might be there at the end of the first round.
Daryl Washington, ILB, TCU would be a great pick around the end of the second. Reminds me of EJ in his aggressiveness and run-stopping ability. Fast too, and we need speed there. ILB is hard to learn quickly in a Cover - 2 defense. Would still be an improvement over Brinkley.
Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama would be a great grab in the third. He can run-block and is pretty good in pass protection. Zone blocking issues? Who knows?
None of these guys are stretches. Wilson's and Johnson's stocks are rising and will attract a lot of attention in the coming weeks.
purpleviking

United States

#4 Feb 24, 2010
twell wrote:
Without the possibility of participating in free agency...the Vikes will NOT be able to add the players necessary to get over the hump next year. They are seriously in need of at least one starting safety, one or possibly 2 starting corners if Winfield doesn't regain form, and they definitely need a middle linebacker, a big playmaker. On offense they are desperately in need of either a starting center or starting right tackle and they need more O line depth. They cannot get all of this through the draft, they need F.A. but are restricted in what they can do there because of the stupid no cap year rules!
Sullivan held his own at center and Loadholt was considered by most one of the top rookie o-linemen in the NFL this season. depth, yes maybe a starting RG but starting OT and C are set

“We've been Norv'ed”

Erie

#5 Feb 24, 2010
CT Viking Fan wrote:
Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State could contributed immediately. He is a tight cover corner that would remind you a little of Winfield in his prime. The big question is if he can learn Cover - 2 quickly. He might be there at the end of the first round.
Daryl Washington, ILB, TCU would be a great pick around the end of the second. Reminds me of EJ in his aggressiveness and run-stopping ability. Fast too, and we need speed there. ILB is hard to learn quickly in a Cover - 2 defense. Would still be an improvement over Brinkley.
Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama would be a great grab in the third. He can run-block and is pretty good in pass protection. Zone blocking issues? Who knows?
None of these guys are stretches. Wilson's and Johnson's stocks are rising and will attract a lot of attention in the coming weeks.
Good stuff. Lookin' at some o-LINE GUYS THAT MAY BE AVAILABLE LATE FIRST I read we may look at Pouncey, center from Fla. or Campbell, ot from Maryland. But I would like to see the secondary beefed up first as well, that or grab McCoy if he is still around; draft can be a real crap shoot sometimes.
ex favre fan

Hager City, WI

#6 Feb 24, 2010
erie-vike fan wrote:
<quoted text>Good stuff. Lookin' at some o-LINE GUYS THAT MAY BE AVAILABLE LATE FIRST I read we may look at Pouncey, center from Fla. or Campbell, ot from Maryland. But I would like to see the secondary beefed up first as well, that or grab McCoy if he is still around; draft can be a real crap shoot sometimes.
queen fans are so fun. In my opinion as a Packer fan, the only thing the queens need to win a superbowl,is a front office,a good coach,an o line,some d-backs,couple linebackers,and a qb that accually cares about more than himself! If they do that-SUPERBOWL BABY!

“We've been Norv'ed”

Erie

#7 Feb 24, 2010
ex favre fan wrote:
<quoted text>queen fans are so fun. In my opinion as a Packer fan, the only thing the queens need to win a superbowl,is a front office,a good coach,an o line,some d-backs,couple linebackers,and a qb that accually cares about more than himself! If they do that-SUPERBOWL BABY!
LOL, I see you are up to your old tricks again. You speak some truth here however, sometimes I do wonder about a curse though, I have seen a whole lot over the years, been a fan a longggggg time and you actually start to expect to lose the big ones, the N.O. GAME did not shock me one bit SORRY TO SAY, BUT I AM CONFIDENT the Vikes will be in the thick of things again this coming season; lookin' forward to some good games between the Pack and the Vikes, peace.
Mayers59

Wichita Falls, TX

#8 Feb 25, 2010
Vikings don't need to use 1st round pick on QB, and I'm not sure McCoy or any of the others will still be there by the time their second pick comes up. They need to look to some mid free agent help. They can't afford the top teir FA's but 2nd teir they can. The Packers are closing the gap on the Vikings. Going from 6-10 to 11-5. If the Vikings JUST stand pat, The Pack may overtake them in the NFC North this season. Favre WILL be a factor either way. If he comes back, I think the Vikes can holdem off another year, if not, The Pack vault over them.
Beth

Waco, TX

#9 Feb 25, 2010
Westbrok would be a great pick up to replace chester taylor.Maybe we should look at dealing for Ashamonga from oakland and then drafting Defensive tackles and Qbs
FudgePackerKilla

Bangkok, Thailand

#10 Feb 25, 2010
OK, if we cant make too many FA signings, just worry about one. If the the Jets dont pick up FS Kerry Rhodes $2 million roster bonus, which there is a good chance they wont, we could probably get him for a decent price. He's been good for a few years now and is still relatively young. Then we can move Winfield to SS and draft a CB with our first round pick. If Griffin is still hurt for week 1, let Sapp fill in for a few games. Anyway, I agree with erie-vike fan. Our secondary should be top priority this offseason.
FudgePackerKilla

Bangkok, Thailand

#11 Feb 25, 2010
Beth wrote:
Westbrok would be a great pick up to replace chester taylor.Maybe we should look at dealing for Ashamonga from oakland and then drafting Defensive tackles and Qbs
The Raiders would be absolutely foolish to let Asomugha go. Him and Revis are the top shutdown corners in the league. But then again, this is the Raiders were talking about so you know that stupid moves are a definite possibility. If the Raiders will move him, I say absolutely grab him, he'd look fantastic in Purple! SKOL VIKES!
Grundies

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Feb 25, 2010
ex favre fan wrote:
<quoted text>queen fans are so fun. In my opinion as a Packer fan, the only thing the queens need to win a superbowl,is a front office,a good coach,an o line,some d-backs,couple linebackers,and a qb that accually cares about more than himself! If they do that-SUPERBOWL BABY!
As opposed to Packer fans who have the best talent at every position... Except their d-line can't get to the qb, their linebackers are too slow to catch any running backs, their secondary is porous at best, their o-line is made up of wannabe matadores, there hasn't been a running back on that roster in over a decade (or at least no one has noticed one), the quarterback counts to 20 then throws, but other than that way better than the vikes (who whiped the pack TWICE).

I'd be less concerned about the vikes and more concerned about those 51 points Arizona hung on you. By the way, was Karen Rogers practicing his title belt dance at home after the first round of the playoffs?
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Feb 25, 2010
One could argue that the Vikings are one of the most talented teams in the NFL (11 pro-bowlers), so their prblem isn't personnel. Any additional players they get on draft day who can contribute on a regular basis is only gravy. Their problem is schematic.
Paris

Salem, WI

#14 Feb 25, 2010
ex favre fan wrote:
Don't forget a RB who can hang on to the ball. You might also want to throw in a new owner who isn't a "dimwit." Other than that, it's "SUPERBOWL BABY!"
Paris

Salem, WI

#15 Feb 25, 2010
Just how many FAs do you think will want to come to the Vikings not knowing who the QB is?

Let's see ... with BF or without BF at QB. If you were a FA and looked at the Vikings with TJ or Rose-whatever at QB, what are you thinking? And by the time BF let's you know, it's too late. The FAs have signed elsewhere.

Welcome to the circus.
Charlie Brown

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Feb 25, 2010
Keep loading up on talent Vikes. They have done a good job drafting for the most part (except TJack).
Gen Burkhalter

Malibu, CA

#17 Feb 25, 2010
Why is the QB position always an after thought with this team. Even if Brett comes back next year they still have to address this position now!
TTT

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Feb 25, 2010
Anyone good defensive player will do. A nice trade for a shut down CB would be nice too. Whatever they do as long as they don't draft the overrated, weak armed, no accuracy fullback from Florida.
viqueens fan

Kalamazoo, MI

#19 Feb 25, 2010
can we draft a head coach???
Lyle

United States

#20 Feb 25, 2010
A couple of intelligent blogs I like CB Wilson from Boise as for the cover 2 the Vikings should drop it and move the safety's up instead of playing center field. offensive line is a top priority but at OT not center try too trade McKinnie for a 2nd round pick and draft an athletic tackle or 2. defensive tackle should also be addressed in day 1. Release P. Williams, Favre, and M. Williams use all that money too try and sign the Viking free agents draft a QB on day 2 not Tebow and FIRE CHILDRESS, HIRE FRAZIER

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antoine Winfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is it Tarvaris Time in Minnesota? (Dec '06) Apr '14 Magnum Man II 33
News Extra Points: CUT-ting through the NFL (Sep '13) Sep '13 viking nation 2
News 10 Early Winners and Losers of Minnesota Viking... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Bleeds Purple 1
News Minnesota Vikings need Xavier Rhodes to turn th... (Jun '13) Jun '13 viking nation 1
News Vikings have a slot for Robinson (May '13) May '13 viking nation 1
News Five areas of correction for the Vikings (May '13) May '13 Harry 3
News Could Vikings' Jared Allen bolt after this season? (May '13) May '13 bill 1
More from around the web