Aaron Rodgers and the 5 Best Quarterb...

Aaron Rodgers and the 5 Best Quarterbacks to Build a Team Around

There are 34 comments on the BleacherReport story from Nov 1, 2011, titled Aaron Rodgers and the 5 Best Quarterbacks to Build a Team Around. In it, BleacherReport reports that:

Every team needs a franchise quarterback to win the Super Bowl. Just look at the last five champions: Aaron Rodgers , Drew Brees , Ben Roethlisberger , Eli Manning and Peyton Manning .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BleacherReport.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nyg1216

Richmond, VA

#1 Nov 1, 2011
With a little help is say cam newton can be considerd also Matthew stafford and micheal Vick
Sayfarts

Cypress, TX

#2 Nov 1, 2011
And Bill Clinton...
jesco

Dallas, TX

#3 Nov 1, 2011
Not Romo.
Headfarts

Cypress, TX

#4 Nov 1, 2011
Jerry Jones has dementia...
Will

Eugene, OR

#5 Nov 1, 2011
If I were to start a team, my first pick would be Aaron Rodgers at this point. He's everything you want in someone to be the face of your franchise. Might be one of the best ever when it's all said and done.

http://packershalloffame.com
SteelersFan101

Silver Spring, MD

#6 Nov 1, 2011
Aaron Rodgers is very good but give some credit to that offensive line he has.
Hasfarts

Cypress, TX

#7 Nov 1, 2011
He's just good...
PackerBacker-Wic hitaKs

Wichita, KS

#8 Nov 3, 2011
Hasfarts wrote:
He's just good...
If you all haven't noticed Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy has and is building a good team around Aaron Rodgers. Without having a good team around any of the mentioned QB's would they be playing as well as they are? It takes a very good QB to win in this league, but, it takes a solid team in every aspect to win.
Aspectfarts

Houston, TX

#9 Nov 3, 2011
Yes...agree...
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#10 Nov 3, 2011
PackerBacker-WichitaKs wrote:
<quoted text>If you all haven't noticed Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy has and is building a good team around Aaron Rodgers. Without having a good team around any of the mentioned QB's would they be playing as well as they are? It takes a very good QB to win in this league, but, it takes a solid team in every aspect to win.
So you are saying that Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Doug Williams are very good? Joe Namath passed for 167 yards and zero TDs in the Jets Super Bowl win. Did that take a very good QB to put up those numbers? The year Baltimore won the Super Bowl, the Ravens went 5 straight games without scoring an offensive TD and won 4 of those games! It certainly does not take a very good QB to win in this league. It's great to have a good QB, just as it is great to have a good LB, guard, running back, etc. However, a good QB is not necessary. A great TEAM is necessary! It just so happens that great teams are usually strong in most positions, including QB.
Bill

Las Vegas, NV

#11 Nov 3, 2011
What ever happened to Brady? The best of the best
Teamfarts

Houston, TX

#12 Nov 3, 2011
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
However, a good QB is not necessary. A great TEAM is necessary! It just so happens that great teams are usually strong in most positions, including QB.
...and coaching...
PackerBacker-Wic hitaKs

Wichita, KS

#13 Nov 3, 2011
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying that Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Doug Williams are very good? Joe Namath passed for 167 yards and zero TDs in the Jets Super Bowl win. Did that take a very good QB to put up those numbers? The year Baltimore won the Super Bowl, the Ravens went 5 straight games without scoring an offensive TD and won 4 of those games! It certainly does not take a very good QB to win in this league. It's great to have a good QB, just as it is great to have a good LB, guard, running back, etc. However, a good QB is not necessary. A great TEAM is necessary! It just so happens that great teams are usually strong in most positions, including QB.
Do you think if Matt Flynn had been the starting QB instead of Aaron Rodgers that the Packers would have gotten to and won the Super Bowl? I agree a great team is necessary. The QB's you mentioned above, with the exception of Namath, are not household names. But, in the particular season they won Super Bowls I would bet they had good to very good seasons. By winning I don't mean winning a Super Bowl every season because it isn't going to happen. I believe to be in the playoffs every year and contending for a SB you have to have a very good QB to lead good to great team. Just my opinion.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#14 Nov 3, 2011
<quoted text>Do you think if Matt Flynn had been the starting QB instead of Aaron Rodgers that the Packers would have gotten to and won the Super Bowl? I agree a great team is necessary. The QB's you mentioned above, with the exception of Namath, are not household names. But, in the particular season they won Super Bowls I would bet they had good to very good seasons. By winning I don't mean winning a Super Bowl every season because it isn't going to happen. I believe to be in the playoffs every year and contending for a SB you have to have a very good QB to lead good to great team. Just my opinion.
Well you are wrong. Trent Dilfer in particular was terrible. As I said, in one 5 game stretch the Ravens had zero offensive TDs. And those weren't his only crap games. And I only mentioned some of the crappy QBs whose TEAMS won a Super Bowl. There have been plenty of really crappy QBs who played for good teams that did well but came short of winning NFL Championships.

BTW I don't know if the Packers would have won with Matt Flynn. I don't know if the Packers would have won without many key starters such as Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Clay Mathews, Greg Jennings, James Starks, Chad Clifton, etc. Every team is presumably better with their starters. What I know FOR A FACT is that great TEAMS can survive injuries. And great TEAMS can and have won Championships without great QBs.
eric

Arpin, WI

#15 Nov 3, 2011
Guys like Trent Dilfer were quite lucky.They only had to manage the game,dont turn it over and let the defense win it and they did.
that said
with the passing game and the passing league NOW as well as rules protecting and allowing the passing game to put up points but with corners and safeties being faster quicker and stronger, i believe a good qb or better is going to have to be a norm and teams wont get away with having a Dilfer as a qb like they did just 10 years ago.Thats just my opinion of course as it again alot more of a passing and scoring league now then it was just a short time ago.
Rodgers won it in 2010
Brees won it in 2009
and others Peyton Manning,Eli Manning, Tom Brady (3)
point is 7 SB's right there Eli Manning might not be considered Great,but, hes very good,the others are considered Great qb's Then you throw in Ben R. and there are 8 SB qb's in the past 10 SB's.....Of courses and of course like mentioned Dilfer won one very true and fact but a huge majority of SB winning teams had better then good qb's.
eric

Arpin, WI

#16 Nov 3, 2011
The Interesting thing would be since INDY is win less and very well could end up being the #1 pick and with Andrew Luck coming up and Peyton Manning as their current qb but after neck surgery..If i were INDY i cant see passing up on Andrew Luck and if Peyton Manning is or gets pissed off about it,then we will have yet another situation and who knows, PM may get traded ( if it can happen to Montana,Favre ect why not Manning,off a bad neck and with Andrew Luck coming in) NOW if INDY wins a few and doesn't get the 1st pick,then the whole entry here is moot but again it can happen.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#17 Nov 4, 2011
The vast majority of SB winning TEAMS had better than "good" players at most positions. At what position did the Packers suck? What players were less than "good"? The day you name the many crappy Packer players on their SB teams is the day I start to believe that football REQUIRES a great QB. As I said, a great QB helps, just as great players at any position help. The fact that crappy QBs have been on SB winning teams proves that it is a TEAM game. More teams with below average QBs have won SBs than teams with below average cornerbacks, LBs or O-linemen. Tom Brady had one of the greatest, if not the greatest, year a QB ever had a few years ago and his team lost. Anybody that thinks Eli Manning was better than Tom Brady is insane. However, it is a simple FACT that the Giants were better than the Patriots that day.
PackerBacker-Wic hitaKs

Wichita, KS

#18 Nov 4, 2011
eric wrote:
The Interesting thing would be since INDY is win less and very well could end up being the #1 pick and with Andrew Luck coming up and Peyton Manning as their current qb but after neck surgery..If i were INDY i cant see passing up on Andrew Luck and if Peyton Manning is or gets pissed off about it,then we will have yet another situation and who knows, PM may get traded ( if it can happen to Montana,Favre ect why not Manning,off a bad neck and with Andrew Luck coming in) NOW if INDY wins a few and doesn't get the 1st pick,then the whole entry here is moot but again it can happen.
Eric, I agree. Indy would have to take Luck. It sounds like there is a possibility that Manning's injury could be more serious than it started out as. Even if Manning comes back and plays the Colts draft Luck let him learn for a few years and then he plays. Like you said, as Packer fans, we have been down this road. It turned out pretty well.
PackerBacker-Wic hitaKs

Wichita, KS

#19 Nov 4, 2011
eric wrote:
Guys like Trent Dilfer were quite lucky.They only had to manage the game,dont turn it over and let the defense win it and they did.
that said
with the passing game and the passing league NOW as well as rules protecting and allowing the passing game to put up points but with corners and safeties being faster quicker and stronger, i believe a good qb or better is going to have to be a norm and teams wont get away with having a Dilfer as a qb like they did just 10 years ago.Thats just my opinion of course as it again alot more of a passing and scoring league now then it was just a short time ago.
Rodgers won it in 2010
Brees won it in 2009
and others Peyton Manning,Eli Manning, Tom Brady (3)
point is 7 SB's right there Eli Manning might not be considered Great,but, hes very good,the others are considered Great qb's Then you throw in Ben R. and there are 8 SB qb's in the past 10 SB's.....Of courses and of course like mentioned Dilfer won one very true and fact but a huge majority of SB winning teams had better then good qb's.
It is more of a passing league than it was even 5-6 yrs ago. You will not see many teams with a below average QB win a Super Bowl. This years Ravens and 49ers could be the exception. A huge majority of SB winners have had very good play out of their QBs. Of course they have good teams around them but in todays NFL it starts at the QB position. Granted, the Packers didn't have any great weaknesses as a team last season. Nothing against Matt Flynn, but they don't win the SB if Rodgers doesn't come back from the concussion and play like he did down the stretch to win the SB. Green Bay overcame a lot of injuries last year. The one they couldn't have overcome would have been a season ender to Rodgers.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#20 Nov 4, 2011
<quoted text>You will not see many teams with a below average QB win a Super Bowl. This years Ravens and 49ers could be the exception. A huge majority of SB winners have had very good play out of their QBs.
You will not see many teams with a below average [insert name of position] win a Super Bowl. This years Ravens and 49ers could be the exception as far as QBs, in addition to every team that has been an exception in the past. A huge majority of SB winners have had very good play out of their [insert name of postion]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Andrew Luck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aqib Talib remains one of game's best cornerbacks (Oct '16) Oct '16 Barney Fife 1
News Transgender advocates show support at Glendale ... (May '16) May '16 Three Days 1
News Report: Luck might not return in 2015 (Dec '15) Dec '15 Fart news 3
News NFL: Boo-birds target Luck, Colts (Oct '15) Oct '15 Fart news 2
News Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck (12)... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Fart news 3
News Colts confident Luck will play vs Jags despite ... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Fart news 5
News Colts' Luck has 4 turnovers in 20-7 loss to Jets (Sep '15) Sep '15 Fart news 7
More from around the web